• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: PS5 Pro Codenamed "Trinity" targeting Late 2024 (some alleged specs leaked)

Would you upgrade from your current PS5?

• For sure

Votes: 377 41.0%
  • Probably

Votes: 131 14.2%
  • Maybe

Votes: 127 13.8%
  • Unlikely

Votes: 140 15.2%
  • Not a chance

Votes: 145 15.8%

• Total voters

XesqueVara

I've never heard of the RDNA3 fanouts posing a capacity / scale problem. I also don't know if we're sure of the PS5 Pro using the same packaging as RDNA3.
Yeah the Tech here is limited by Tsmc Capacity, it´s very used on Smartphones for example.
Chiplets in this Case would Suit them if they used IC, if not it´s better to do a Single Chip and use Higher GDDR6 memory Speeds like they did with PS4 pro.

I voted 'Probably' as I would like to get the PS5 Pro console, but if it's above $600 then Sony can go pound sand and I'll just use that money to buy the next Nintendo console, as I can handle sticking with my base PS5 console until 2028.

RDNA3 chiplet design could allow for more flexibility than GCN. The SOC could have 10 WGPs/20 CUs per shader engine, and one of the shader engines disabled for compatibility.
Sure, I know I spoke about PS4 (which uses GCN), and how PS5 replicated the CU count of the PS4 Pro (GCN again), but... That already applies to baseline PS5 which is RDNA 1.5 or something. I'm not sure (more flexibility against GCN architecture) it's that relevant in RDNA 1.5 vs RDNA 3 which would be the case in a PS5 vs PS5 Pro debate.
He said 30 wgp, it’s not going to have 72cus in a console soc launching in 2024. I don’t think that’s realistic at all. 60 with some turned off for yield makes way more sense. I don’t recall the one x having an even multiple of the one s cu count and back compat worked great without any need for toggles or anything. Why can’t the ps5 pro work that way too?
There's nothing keeping Sony from doing the same thing, but they have a slightly different approach to things.

From what I gather Microsoft API's are a bit more hardware abstract, so it matters less what you put in and how you do it as long as it delivers the expected performance, this is a bit like a PC, Sony's API/implementation is a bit lower level so it matters a bit more which is why they like to "limit" processes and basically do virtual machine's or virtual compatibility modes with their hardware. But there's nothing they can't surpass with a bit of software or extra engineering really.

This is my opinion, but I think Microsoft is better with software structure (and will chose software solutions very easily due to that), and Sony is better with hardware implementation (so they'll try to create hardware/native solutions with as little code/emulation/simulation as possible. Subjective I know when the end and even specs across both competitors are so similar.
There really s no reason why Sony would have to keep double its CU count to maintain compatibility. That can be sorted out with a better-designed tool kit. I personally have never believed that whole double CU count to maintain compatibility thing. It can be abstracted.
I don't think they ever "had" to do that, Microsoft sure didn't.

What I was getting at is that, there is a known lead hardware architect at Sony, and lead architects tend to have a footprint of their own, vices or fetishes if you will. Meaning he'll do that (doubling of logic) if he can. If he can't he'll find some other solution.

If it's useless to do so this time around, the same applies. But often, for an architect like Cerny even if it's mostly the same as any other solution they'll prefer a solution they know, so, a solution in line with solutions of the past.
I don't see them doing anything with the RAM outside using faster chips. I can see them increasing the cache within the chip though. A PS5pro with 64MB of infinity cache on the chip would do more, and be cheaper for them than going for 24GB of RAM and a 384bit bus (which is what you would be getting if you are using 12 chips instead of 8 as hitting any other number would require they adopt the convoluted memory system of the Xbox.

Don't forget, whatever this console is, it's going to peak at 120fps on ONE screen. More realistically that could translate to 2160p ish at 60fps and 1080p-1440pish at `up to 120fps`. You don't need a lot of bandwidth to accommodate that.
Fair point with the infinity cache. I can see them targeting more memory bandwidth in a pro console, but honestly I believe tech like VRS, if it works like it should and is easy to implement would be more important than that (not to mention frame reconstruction methods).

Specially because I feel the shift towards better performance per watt being something interesting from a consumer standpoint as something that has already started. Most people shouldn't want a console that consumes more energy than a PS5 as is. The fact that launch PS4 uses less energy than PS5 is already something that isn't optimal with how things evolved in the last few years IMO. (I know that same can be said for PC GPU's and the like)

Last edited:
Day one for me. I see a preorder coming Feb time :)

I see a June - July announcement and preorder, and a release date in the Fall 2024, likely around Oct/Nov timeframe.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Depending on the capacity used, it could have one of these bandwidth setups.
16GB - 576 GB/s
20GB - 720 GB/s
24GB - 864 GB/s

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Just give me top specs for the PS5 Pro. I don't care about the price, and will gladly be there day-1 and pay $1,000 for it.

Last edited:

Stafford

He never said that. He inferred that he wasn't interested in a Series X Pro.

Which is not good. Early this gen he said they wouldn't lose on power and price ever again. They would be losing on the first one definitely if they don't have a mid gen refresh.

As someone who wants to buy all multiplats on Xbox I really hope that's just BS talk, because bet on it that Rockstar, CDPR etc will be taking advantage of Pro for GTA 6 and Witcher 4, and if the difference is gonna be significant....i can't justify for myself to buy the interior version.

Spyxos

Rather no. Unless Gamestop (if they still exist) has good trade-in deals. And the Pro should not be much more expensive than the ps5.

Imagine all the game tech breakdowns and how bad it would look for Xbox.

Wait, makes sense why DF is so against the PS5 Pro
Everyone is saying there's no Xbox Pro in developement.

Although Phil and Xbox went out their way to say they don't want to beaten on price and power again after the Xbox One fiasco. So I can't put it past them.

The Pro and One X each only accounted for around 20% of sales after they launched, the PS5 Pro isn't going to be meant to be the big seller it's going to be an option for people who are willing/able to spend more and also keep them committed to the product/ecosystem.

Even if it had a performance like a 4090, it will be totally underused, a Nice excuse for lazy devs to say: hey, if you want to run our unoptimized game with more Stable 60fps, Just get the pro

The Pro and One X each only accounted for around 20% of sales after they launched, the PS5 Pro isn't going to be meant to be the big seller it's going to be an option for people who are willing/able to spend more and also keep them committed to the product/ecosystem.

Yes, Microsoft is invested in PC gaming much more than Sony...

I mean they have Windows that is basically a monopoly for gaming on "computers"

Sony wants you to keep using their console hardware and their store for the whole generation

salva

PC is the Xbox "pro" console.
They should almost market as that.

... Buy a console for ease, simplicity, and a good gaming experience. Or, spend as much as you like to make the most powerful machine that can play Xbox games.
Imagine if they released the same original Xbox and 360 BC emulation on PC (I know others exist).

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
People will buy it and its not targeting the casual, 21 voters in here and 62% say for sure
tihHao7.png
Day 1 for me,

Lets Go GIF by The Roku Channel

Stafford

They know what each other is doing and I think it would be a huge mistake if Xbox isn't working on one of their own

Absolutely. Especially when you consider that we likely won't see next gen until 2028. Isn't that the expected release year for next gen? It would be bad if Xbox is gonna play catch up starting late 2024 until 2028. I guess it remains to be seen how significant the differences will be, but if we get a game at 30fps on PS5 and XSX, same game with same visual bells and whistles but at 60fps on a Pro......then I will be getting those titles for that system.

We'll have to wait and see if the difference is gonna be that big, of course.

LoveCake

It is way too soon for a PS5-Pro, there are only a handful of dedicated PS5 games currently and none are close to using the PS5 to its potential!

Xyphie

What’s the gpu equivalent of ps5 pro?

Looking at currently available AMD GPU IP and how they perform, based on these specs it'll land somewhere in between the upcoming RX 7700 and RX 7800 (which will be around RX 6800(XT) performance tier) pending final clock speeds and how it's binned. Which means a bit shy of 2x GPU performance.

LordOfChaos

People with 4090 GPUs aren’t running games at 4K/RT/60fps. You need to turn on DLSS to get it. This article was posted before even more demanding games came out. And nobody thinks that a PS5 Pro will be as powerful as a 4090.

Which is only more to my point that trying to run 8K would be a waste when we're nowhere near maxing out 4K visuals on consoles

Mr.Phoenix

I see a June - July announcement and preorder, and a release date in the Fall 2024, likely around Oct/Nov timeframe.

Depending on the capacity used, it could have one of these bandwidth setups.
16GB - 576 GB/s
20GB - 720 GB/s
24GB - 864 GB/s

Just give me top specs for the PS5 Pro. I don't care about the price, and will gladly be there day-1 and pay $1,000 for it.
We either get faster RAM at 16GB on the same 256bit bus, or a wider bus with more RAM but sower chips and ultimately more bandwidth too.

Not both.

If this rumor is true, the option seems to be faster RAM, which should put it at 512GB/s of bandwidth. That is more than enough. They would sooner put in 2-4GB of lpdr for the OS allowing all 16GB of GDDR for the games than put in more RAM and more as such... a wider bus. Way better ways to spend money on a chip than increasing bus width, which is something that scales so poorly in chips and that's why AMD even put their buses in a separate die on their RDN3 GPUs.
Don't care about 8k. Just give me 4k/60fps with RT (or 1440p/60 with GOOD RT)
lol... don't get your hopes up. If the specs are true, this is going to be an at best 16-18TF`ish console. Expect to see more of 1440p FSR2`ed up to 2160p at a steady 60fps and 1080p at a steady 100-120fps instead. This is perfectly fine if u ask me.
Everyone is saying there's no Xbox Pro in developement.

Although Phil and Xbox went out their way to say they don't want to beaten on price and power again after the Xbox One fiasco. So I can't put it past them.
The real problem with Xbox doing this, or making a pro console, is that they would have too many models on the market. As is, they already have 2, that's because they came up with the brilliant idea of creating a base and pro console on launch day. Having a pro pro console would mean they would have 3 models, which would almost guarantee that third-party games run worst on the Xbox platform going forward.

Dev time is not infinite. If devs spend 3 years main a game, they are spending that time on one version for the PS5 and then two versions for the Xbox. Add in pro consoles, then that becomes 2 versions for the PS5 and 3 for the Xbox.

And lets not even forget the part about how much devs would have to do as is simply adhering to the differences in the Xbox consoles. A PS5pro with the same 16GB of RAm but just faster, means devs are doing very little retooling of their game to make it work. At least compared to the Xbox, as it is currently. What is an Xbox Pro going to be? Would they add even more ram and mess up their memory system even more?

Last edited:
Top Bottom