• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: PS5 Pro Codenamed "Trinity" targeting Late 2024 (some alleged specs leaked)

Would you upgrade from your current PS5?

• For sure

Votes: 377 41.0%
  • Probably

Votes: 131 14.2%
  • Maybe

Votes: 127 13.8%
  • Unlikely

Votes: 140 15.2%
  • Not a chance

Votes: 145 15.8%

• Total voters
But why?
Why make a PS5 Pro when we're only just recently getting going with the generation
It was only this past year that PS5 consoles became readily available and have ditched PS4 support. Why not wait three more years or so before putting out the pro model?

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
Well it’s easy to understand. If a pro model happens PS5 will be the weaker console and the Pro will be better. How is that not the same concept as Series S/X? Besides digital foundry claims Microsoft said the X was their mid gen refresh.
Again, because the Series and PS5 consoles all launched at the same time.

The Series S was the weakest of all 4 consoles at launch. Making a stronger mid gen refresh a few years later is not the same as making a weaker console at launch.

The PS5 doesn't become as weak as or weaker than the Series S because of a PS5 Pro. The baseline for PS5 exclusives is still the PS5.

So, I take it we are now accepting that the Series S is MS's base console?

Last edited:

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
But why?
Why make a PS5 Pro when we're only just recently getting going with the generation
It was only this past year that PS5 consoles became readily available and have ditched PS4 support. Why not wait three more years or so before putting out the pro model?
Many PS5s can't even handle FF16 including mine.

Rykan

Mass populace barely able to find your console until the last 6 - 9 months.

Barely ANY games exclusive to this "new gen", most are old gen games upscaled.

Bring out new, powerful console and charge more for consumers while leaving your current consumers with a now gimped version, that you didn't even get close to actually realizing or utilizing the power of.

Really LOVING what the industry has become over the last decade! Truly!
Your current consumers aren't left with a "gimped" version. The existence of a newer, more powerful version of hardware doesn't mean that your current hardware won't be utilized.

If you buy a regular iPhone instead of a Pro, do you now have a gimped iPhone? If you buy anything less than the display tech, do you now have a gimped TV?

I hate to break it to you, but you can go out and buy a PC that will outperform a console easily. You can do that right now. Are all the games you play on your console "gimped" because they don't run as well or look as nice as the PC version?

And just to set a more realistic expectation here, "Not even close to actually realizing or utilizing the power of" is a fantasy. There's nothing indicating that consoles are more capable than what they have shown. There are already plenty of performance issues and low resolutions across the board. There may be some further optimizations, but anyone expecting drastically better visuals or performance further down the line is setting themselves up for disappointment.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
Your current consumers aren't left with a "gimped" version. The existence of a newer, more powerful version of hardware doesn't mean that your current hardware won't be utilized.

If you buy a regular iPhone instead of a Pro, do you now have a gimped iPhone? If you buy anything less than the display tech, do you now have a gimped TV?

I hate to break it to you, but you can go out and buy a PC that will outperform a console easily. You can do that right now. Are all the games you play on your console "gimped" because they don't run as well or look as nice as the PC version?

And just to set a more realistic expectation here, "Not even close to actually realizing or utilizing the power of" is a fantasy. There's nothing indicating that consoles are more capable than what they have shown. There are already plenty of performance issues and low resolutions across the board. There may be some further optimizations, but anyone expecting drastically better visuals or performance further down the line is setting themselves up for disappointment.
Agree.

I have a PC that with the right gpu will be a really good gaming PC.

And when I get it, my PS5 and XSX arent gonna start floating away like they were Thanos snapped. I dont even have the desire to get a better gpu yet, I'm completely content with console gaming.

Seems some ppl have a strong FOMO syndrome. I'm also rocking a Galaxy S20, and will keep it until it breaks completely down.

MT/s is a standard memory measure and not the same as clock speed since there's so much confusion about this. When something says DDR4-3600 for example, it's actually talking about 3600MT/s, not MHz, since the DOUBLE data rate in DDR means it's doing two data transfers per Hz, so 3600MT/s = 1800Mhz

This rumor would say it's boosted by 28.5% from 14,000 MT/s to 18,000 MT/s

M MisterXDTV quote it in OP bro

God this tweet. “As a community”… like come on bro stop saying that shit 😂

Last edited:

Kyle

Sure, anything that will let me play exclusive titles at 4K 120Hz consistently is all I need (for now). Between a PS5, Switch, and PC I am good to go. It all just comes down to what games are exclusive and that's becoming a smaller and smaller list.

ergem

PS5 Pro based on Navi32 ? ( Navi32 GCD has 60CU and 256bit bus).
PS5 Pro being MCM design 🤔

Btw
18 000MT/s = 18GT/s = 18Gb/s = 2.25GB/s ( per one trace)
256bit = 256 traces on the pcb
256*2.25GB/s = 576GB/s

Would RDNA 4 be out of possibility though?

Three

It makes sense when they are pushing Gamepass and nothing else. Why lose another $200 bux per box?

Yep their primary platform I'd say has changed. They're spending money on first party with the platform being a subscription rather than a console.

I'd say their strategy makes high power consoles more and more pointless for them. They have a subscription that's on PC, xbox and cloud. They release their games on them all. On PC the user pays for their hardware themselves, on xbox MS have to take a $200 loss and subsidise the cost of hardware for 1 paying subscriber, and cloud they pay for the hardware but use it for multiple paying subscribers. Consoles are just a moneysink to them in comparison and the XSX showed MS aren't that willing to do it. They didn't prioritise XSX sales at all. They pushed cloud over it.

At the same time they don't want to lose the casual crowd who buy consoles so they compete with a low cost Series S as their main console. At some point I think they might even try and pull a complete Nintendo and make a profit on their low end hardware. The price increase on the Series S black might be the start of that.

They want to compete via content for their subscription and not so much on what hardware to buy games on to get 30%.

The only thing that can stop them is if a PS5 and the battle for performance becomes a thorne in their side and people choose a PS5/pro over their entry points to their subscription strategy. Otherwise there really isn't anything beneficial to MS from releasing a heavily subsidised high performance console. The more acquired 'first party' you have and rely less and less on competing for 3rd party multiplat sales the less and less beneficial it becomes to have a subsidised console at all.

Last edited:
But why?
The obvious reason is PS5 Pro was already being planned and designed before PS5 even launched and Sony is following a schedule they set out years ago

It's not like Sony could have predicted a viral pandemic would close the planet for more than 2 years

ergem

Yep their primary platform I'd say has changed. They're spending money on first party with the platform being a subscription rather than a console.

I'd say their strategy makes high power consoles more and more pointless for them. They have a subscription that's on PC, xbox and cloud. They release their games on them all. On PC the user pays for their hardware themselves, on xbox MS have to take a $200 loss and subsidise the cost of hardware for 1 paying subscriber, and cloud they pay for the hardware but use it for multiple paying subscribers. Consoles are just a moneysink to them in comparison and the XSX showed MS aren't that willing to do it. They didn't prioritise XSX sales at all. They pushed cloud over it.

At the same time they don't want to lose the casual crowd who buy consoles so they compete with a low cost Series S as their main console. At some point I think they might even try and pull a complete Nintendo and make a profit on their low end hardware. The price increase on the Series S black might be the start of that.

They want to compete via content for their subscription and not so much on what hardware to buy games on to get 30%.

The only thing that can stop them is if a PS5 and the battle for performance becomes a thorne in their side and people choose a PS5/pro over their entry points to their subscription strategy. Otherwise there really isn't anything beneficial to MS from releasing a heavily subsidised high performance console. The more acquired 'first party' you have and rely less and less on competing for 3rd party multiplat sales the less and less beneficial it becomes to have a subsidised console at all.
Cloud and PC will be MS's future. I don't see another console from them.

Perrott

But is that a hardware issue or an optimization issue?
Final Fantasy XVI was made by the finest development team within Square Enix, one of the leading Japanese publishers, with pretty much unlimited resources thanks to the financial backing of a console manufacturer whose platform, the PS5, was the only device for which the game was initially made for over a period of seven years.

There couldn't have been any optimization issue in a title developed under such idyllic circumstances. It is a hardware problem.

Last edited:
So the GPU is about twice the performance of the PS5, which is about what we expected.
The most interesting thing will be what they are doing with the CPU. We have seen a number of games that are CPU limited already on the PS5 and XSX, so while we have a doubling of the GPU performance, I wonder what we will be getting from the CPU.

I will put off my PS5 buy until this releases I think.

Do we think there will be a increase in SSD speed?
I'm not sure they need to. The current one hasn't been utilised yet, and I can't imagine in the 2 or 3 years before the PS6 arrives, they won't be doing anything to take advantage of a faster SSD in the Pro.

Last edited:

Moses85

Happy Antonio Banderas GIF

StereoVsn

So the GPU is about twice the performance of the PS5, which is about what we expected.
The most interesting thing will be what they are doing with the CPU. We have seen a number of games that are CPU limited already on the PS5 and XSX, so while we have a doubling of the GPU performance, I wonder what we will be getting from the CPU.

I will put off my PS5 buy until this releases I think.

Do we think there will be a increase in SSD speed?
I'm not sure they need to. The current one hasn't been utilised yet, and I can't imagine in the 2 or 3 years before the PS6 arrives, they won't be doing anything to take advantage of a faster SSD in the Pro.
That's another 16 months or so and over halfway through the generation? Just get a Slim and sell it if you want the Pro down the line.

StereoVsn

Final Fantasy XVI was made by the finest development team within Square Enix, one of the leading Japanese publishers, with pretty much unlimited resources thanks to the financial backing of a console manufacturer whose platform, the PS5, was the only device for which the game was initially made for over a period of seven years.

There couldn't have been any optimization issue in a title developed under such idyllic circumstances. It is a hardware problem.
EJPYD0m.gif

I am hoping this was irony that went over my head.

Hunnybun

Many PS5s can't even handle FF16 including mine.

And no PS5s can run it at 60fps at a good resolution. Same goes for games like Jedi Survivor 2, Dead Space, and plenty of others.

It's becoming increasingly clear that if you want next gen visuals, 60fps, and a nice crisp image, then you basically need a Pro console. R&C and Burning Shores prove that it CAN be done if you throw enough money and talent at the problem, but more or less every 3rd party game demonstrates that that is an impossible bar for the most part.

So bring on the new console as far as I'm concerned.

ToTTenTranz

Banned
Imagine all the game tech breakdowns and how bad it would look for Xbox.

Wait, makes sense why DF is so against the PS5 Pro

Imagine their pain in showing the differences between a 4 TFLOPs Series S running out of RAM and a >20 TFLOPs (40 TFLOPs dual-issued) PS5 Pro, in the same video.

Or DF now subscribing to "it will be an extra workload for devs that have enough to worry about" that they did NOT say when MS revealed the S and X.

To be fair, not all of them were part of the "iT's jUsT a lOwEr tArGeT rEsOluTiOn" crowd that has been proven wrong over and over.

What’s the gpu equivalent of ps5 pro?

Rasterization should be on the level of a 6800XT assuming 2.8-3GHz core clocks.
RT performance ia harder to predict if it has new hardware.

One could hope for hardware accelerated FSR3 (Once AMD releases).
FSR3 is compute based. Thee's no specific hardware acceleration for it AFAIK.

There are people suggesting the Series S is holding back the Series X but, what happens to the PS5 if this is true?
Nothing. The PS5 Pro isn't going to have less RAM. If anything it's the PS5 Pro that is hindered by the PS5 target.

God this tweet. “As a community”… like come on bro stop saying that shit 😂
Ian is talking about the technical hardware journalists community (of which there are like 4 or 5 left) and in that regard he's completely right.
I guarantee you he's not talking about NeoGAF.

And yet the game doesn't look anything special. There are way better looking games that run better than FFXVI.

0neAnd0nly

How is it anti-consumer? wtf

What else do you lose from PS5 pro aside from your pride?

Anti consumer = quicker abandoning of console + higher price.

The entire industry is ate with this crap.

It wasn’t even this bad a decade ago when I worked in the industry.

I am speaking somewhat out of frustration, it’s true it isn’t wholly anti consumer, but I do believe it hurts the “legacy” consumer.

My pride? I still have plenty of connections at the entry level of the game industry, including sales, I can get whatever console I want. The person who co-headed the media spin-off I was with, who happens to be my best friend, has legit every single console that has been produced for the market. It isn’t a pride thing, I legitimately don’t like the way the industry is headed. Again, they haven’t even shown us full potential of the base model, wtf are they even worried about a pro for?? Eww.

TLZ

Banned
Anti consumer = quicker abandoning of console + higher price.

The entire industry is ate with this crap.

It wasn’t even this bad a decade ago when I worked in the industry.

I am speaking somewhat out of frustration, it’s true it isn’t wholly anti consumer, but I do believe it hurts the “legacy” consumer.

My pride? I still have plenty of connections at the entry level of the game industry, including sales, I can get whatever console I want. The person who co-headed the media spin-off I was with, who happens to be my best friend, has legit every single console that has been produced for the market. It isn’t a pride thing, I legitimately don’t like the way the industry is headed. Again, they haven’t even shown us full potential of the base model, wtf are they even worried about a pro for?? Eww.
You're talking like the base PS5 will be abandoned and Pro is Nextgen already. The same games will be on both and you'll see what the base system is capable of for many years to come, like how base PS4 still gets current games.

0neAnd0nly

I hate to constantly pull this effing card out, but I worked in the industry. The consoles are 100% not to their potential yet. This isn’t a fantasy, it’s a fact.

You can disagree with me all you want, fine - but I speak to this base factually. I know PlayStation… well. We’ll keep it at that, I suppose.

This is easily measurable, as they have barely published a single game that is *only* available on next gen consoles. Everything is running upscaled off games designed for last generation. There are a few reasons for this, but I’m not into that long of a convo atm.

I hate the half step bs of technology today. I am not saying it’s Sony exclusive, note how I said the “industry”.

Do you remember a pro PS1? Ps2? N64? Etc.

Didn’t happen. Consumers paid big money, got a console - and hypothetically it should last a decent time.

Today, companies have barely straightened production out, haven’t made barely a blip of games exclusively for it to test its features (Astro bot is probably, embarrassingly, the best example of one), and yet here goes Sony making a “NEWER” version.

Eff that crap. I don’t gulp the game industry like many do, it’s pathetic.

Sony makes some bone headed moves, we have seen time and time again. They are insanely lucky that Microsoft has the worst run gaming division in the history of the industry.

This isn’t really a bad business move, sure, because tech consumers have become outright lemmings. But it’s dumb. I don’t think it’s controversial for me to say that Sony should have done a far better job with software for the PS5 at this point before launching a “new improved” console. Is that really ruffling your feathers?

Btw, the phone industry sucks butt. Lemming crap too. I didn’t work in it, but it doesn’t take a genius to recognize it’s been a giant burden on society.

PC is a whole different debate. If I wanted PC, I would build one. People historically buy consoles for convenience, largely of not having to constantly rebuild and refresh. Buy a box, set it up in 5 minutes, be done for 5-10 years.

Now before you can barely find the box to buy, we already headed to the next one.

Stupid.

Just my .02. You don’t have to like it. Don’t insult my knowledge of the industry though, thanks.

0neAnd0nly

lol what? quicker abandoning? The PS4 and Xbox One are still being supported, and both of them had hardware refreshes released.

You're talking like the base PS5 will be abandoned and Pro is Nextgen already. The same games will be on both and you'll see what the base system is capable of for many years to come, like how base PS4 still gets current games.

These are valid points. What I am referring to mostly is optimizing the software for the hardware.

Everything now will (and likely has already) shifted to pro.

I have beef with this because it feels as though Playstation under Ryan has barely even optimized software for the base yet.

That just puts me in a certain place, I don’t like. I am not, however, a huge fan of Ryan - so I tend to be critical of his moves in general.

Rykan

I hate to constantly pull this effing card out, but I worked in the industry. The consoles are 100% not to their potential yet. This isn’t a fantasy, it’s a fact.

You can disagree with me all you want, fine - but I speak to this base factually. I know PlayStation… well. We’ll keep it at that, I suppose.
I have zero reason to believe this or take this seriously. If this is an attempt to boost your credibility: It doesn't. Anyone can claim they work in this industry, and the fact that your arguments are fairly illogical (no offense), I have reason to be suspicious of such a claim.
This is easily measurable, as they have barely published a single game that is *only* available on next gen consoles. Everything is running upscaled off games designed for last generation. There are a few reasons for this, but I’m not into that long of a convo atm.
There have been more than a few current gen only games released thus far. There has been almost no improvement in visual quality in current gen only games from 2020 until now. This includes current gen only games that have been revealed but not yet released. This pretending that there is some magical, untapped potential hidden away in consoles is yet another reason why I'm exceptionally skeptical of someone saying “They've worked in this industry”, especially one not willing to clarify in what form.
I hate the half step bs of technology today. I am not saying it’s Sony exclusive, note how I said the “industry”.

Didn’t happen. Consumers paid big money, got a console - and hypothetically it should last a decent time.
Again: Striking lack of awareness and understanding from someone who supposedly works in the industry. You're drawing parallels to an industry of more than 20 years ago. The Playstation 2 came out a little over 5 years after the PS1. Console cycles were much shorter back then, and it wouldn't make sense to do that. But even back then, hardware upgrades were not unheard of. N64 Disk Drive. SEGA 32X. N64 Expansion pack. SEGA CD. The unreleased CD add on for the Snes.

The PS4 and Xbox one are still being supported nearly 10 years after its release with high profile games. That certainly didn't happen for the PS1.
Just my .02. You don’t have to like it. Don’t insult my knowledge of the industry though, thanks.
Then stick to the facts.
These are valid points. What I am referring to mostly is optimizing the software for the hardware.

Everything now will (and likely has already) shifted to pro.

I have beef with this because it feels as though Playstation under Ryan has barely even optimized software for the base yet.

That just puts me in a certain place, I don’t like. I am not, however, a huge fan of Ryan - so I tend to be critical of his moves in general.
What is this? "Referring to mostly optimizing the software for the hardware" Are you seriously trying to argue here that the PS4 and Xbox one were poorly optimized for after the Pro/One X model, which made up just a fraction of the sales by the way, came out? Because that is absolutely not true. There is no distinction in terms of performance pre and post the release of these consoles.

The Last of us 2, Horizon: Forbidden West, GoW: Ragnarok, Gran Turismo 7, Forza Horizon 5 all run and look great on Base PS4 and Xbox One. There is no way that you have ACTUAL development experience in this industry and then have these bafflingly factually incorrect takes.

Last edited:
Waiting for the pro model. Got PS3 slim thé PS4 pro. It makes sense for me to go directory to the ps5 pro. Hope it gets a design review cause i don't particularly dig thé current design. Well, i'll see.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Console cycles were much shorter back then, and it wouldn't make sense to do that.
It actually would have made sense of you wanted big performance update to do it then, but what they realised is that software would not follow (just as it is not following now), but consumers would not be thirsty enough for shiny new HW and that half step upgrade would just not sell (see 32X’s wonderful experiment).

It also made it more difficult to optimise for the hardware at hand if you added more variations: the entire model and the API’s and tools supported by the console makers are meant to be focused on a single HW specs for several years.
Console cycles are longer now and game development ones are very long now too, but console cycles are longer and longer because HW improvements are slowing down (PS2 went from 250 nm manufacturing nodes to 90 nm during its lifetime, from separate chips to a single SoC… jumps like that take a LOT longer now and the cost to design and manufacture a chip at new advanced nodes is growing exponentially).

On top of that you need larger and larger performance increases in the HW to deliver the IQ and framerate jumps people would notice… Pro consoles are likely to have a small user base and tend not to get a lot of attention from developers either more than what they can bruteforce.
If the leaked specs are correct the performance jump between PS5 and PS5 Pro is smaller (or barely on par) than PS4 and PS4 Pro so this sums up to a lot of disappointment coming up: diminishing returns are real.

The main purpose of Pro consoles is to keep avg ASP of the console from falling and to give people new HW to buy… Resources required to design, manufacture, market, and sell this machine could have gone into PS6 and make it better but 🤷‍♂️… gotta sell what people ask for too regardless if it is great for them or not…

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
PS4 and Xbox one were poorly optimized for after the Pro/One X model, which made up just a fraction of the sales by the way, came out? Because that is absolutely not true. There is no distinction in terms of performance pre and post the released of these consoles.

Xbox One not so sure, but sure PS4 managed quite well for many years (would need to check some reviews for PS4 games in the last year or so to see the effect on it if any dev switched to the Pro as base console), but the reason is that essentially Pro owners were screwed over with little attention spent to optimise/ build the game around the Pro strengths… not sure it is a reason to be cheerful about.

Dis

I have zero reason to believe this or take this seriously. If this is an attempt to boost your credibility: It doesn't. Anyone can claim they work in this industry, and the fact that your arguments are fairly illogical (no offense), I have reason to be suspicious of such a claim.

There have been more than a few current gen only games released thus far. There has been almost no improvement in visual quality in current gen only games from 2020 until now. This includes current gen only games that have been revealed but not yet released. This pretending that there is some magical, untapped potential hidden away in consoles is yet another reason why I'm exceptionally skeptical of someone saying “They've worked in this industry”, especially one not willing to clarify in what form.

Again: Striking lack of awareness and understanding from someone who supposedly works in the industry. You're drawing parallels to an industry of more than 20 years ago. The Playstation 2 came out a little over 5 years after the PS1. Console cycles were much shorter back then, and it wouldn't make sense to do that. But even back then, hardware upgrades were not unheard of. N64 Disk Drive. SEGA 32X. N64 Expansion pack. SEGA CD. The unreleased CD add on for the Snes.

The PS4 and Xbox one are still being supported nearly 10 years after its release with high profile games. That certainly didn't happen for the PS1.

Then stick to the facts.

What is this? "Referring to mostly optimizing the software for the hardware" Are you seriously trying to argue here that the PS4 and Xbox one were poorly optimized for after the Pro/One X model, which made up just a fraction of the sales by the way, came out? Because that is absolutely not true. There is no distinction in terms of performance pre and post the released of these consoles.

The Last of us 2, Horizon: Forbidden West, GoW: Ragnarok, Gran Turismo 7, Forza Horizon 5 all run and look great on Base PS4 and Xbox One. There is no way that you have ACTUAL development experience in this industry and then have these bafflingly factually incorrect takes.
aKSsMx9.gif

Zuzu

This is good news - hopefully it's true (I have confidence it is). A great option for those of us who want more power with the convenience of a console and who don't want to have to wait until 2028 to get it.

ToTTenTranz

Banned

Today, companies have barely straightened production out, haven’t made barely a blip of games exclusively for it to test its features (Astro bot is probably, embarrassingly, the best example of one), and yet here goes Sony making a “NEWER” version.

Eff that crap. I don’t gulp the game industry like many do, it’s pathetic.

Sony makes some bone headed moves, we have seen time and time again. They are insanely lucky that Microsoft has the worst run gaming division in the history of the industry.

This isn’t really a bad business move, sure, because tech consumers have become outright lemmings. But it’s dumb. I don’t think it’s controversial for me to say that Sony should have done a far better job with software for the PS5 at this point before launching a “new improved” console. Is that really ruffling your feathers?

Btw, the phone industry sucks butt. Lemming crap too. I didn’t work in it, but it doesn’t take a genius to recognize it’s been a giant burden on society.

PC is a whole different debate. If I wanted PC, I would build one. People historically buy consoles for convenience, largely of not having to constantly rebuild and refresh. Buy a box, set it up in 5 minutes, be done for 5-10 years.

Now before you can barely find the box to buy, we already headed to the next one.

Stupid.

First you claim to have all this insider knowledge on the console industry, but then you make a bunch of claims that show how little you know of it.

All your comments about optimization could only have made sense about 2 decades ago when everyone was using proprietary engines, time to triangle was much longer than it is now and documentation was not only subpar but also sometimes incoherent between the Japanese and English versions. This is the reason why it took so many years to get developers to properly optimize for the PS2 and PS3 (aside for the exotic memory and compute resources setup on the PS3).

Nowadays the documentation is uniform, time to triangle for the PS4 and PS5 is a third of what is was for the PS3 and virtually all developers are using consolidated engines (or engine forks) that are a product of collaborative work between several dev houses.
And now on top of that, generative AI is about to throw a massive wrench into asset creation and code times.

I can concede (with many doubts) that you might have been connected to the videogame industry until 15 years ago, but you're light years away of modern day console optimization.

Last edited:

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
First you claim to have all this insider knowledge on the console industry, but then you make a bunch of claims that show how little you know of it.

All your comments about optimization could only have made sense about 2 decades ago when everyone was using proprietary engines, time to triangle was much longer than it is now and documentation was not only subpar but also sometimes incoherent between the Japanese and English versions. This is the reason why it took so many years to get developers to properly optimize for the PS2 and PS3 (aside for the exotic memory and compute resources setup on the PS3).

Nowadays the documentation is uniform, time to triangle for the PS4 and PS5 is a third of what is was for the PS3 and virtually all developers are using consolidated engines (or engine forks) that are a product of collaborative work between several dev houses.
And now on top of that, generative AI is about to throw a massive wrench into asset creation and code times.

I can concede (with many doubts) that you might have been connected to the videogame industry until 15 years ago, but you're light years away of modern day console optimization.
All you are saying here does not support the case that consoles right now are efficiently maxed out considering a long cross generation period and the time it takes to actually make games nowadays… it also leads to Pro machines being optimised for even less, quite likely not being the baseline, and thus benefiting only on what they can get by bruteforcing… we will see, but I think people in 2025 will start asking for PS6…

As diminishing returns hit us worse and worse and technology growth slows down more and more how is releasing HW more frequently the answer is beyond me… hey, it keeps prices higher and makes Sony money out of those that want shiny new consoles to buy, but how is this really benefitting people I am not sure (zero cost options? Options always have a cost).

0neAnd0nly

Then stick to the facts.

What is this? "Referring to mostly optimizing the software for the hardware" Are you seriously trying to argue here that the PS4 and Xbox one were poorly optimized for after the Pro/One X model, which made up just a fraction of the sales by the way, came out? Because that is absolutely not true. There is no distinction in terms of performance pre and post the released of these consoles.

Ok man.

I totally lied about working in the illustrious gaming industry. Yeah. Been here a long time, can happily provide EL my credentials. It’s such a SWEET industry, totes worth lying about.

It is cool at times, sure. Got to do some behind the scenes stuff, play some games prior to release. Best part was events and meeting other cool people in the industry talking and discussing projects - happens. All. The. Time. (Referring to people discussing projects), Feel free to read my post history regarding leaks and stuff. It’s way more common to learn info about gaming stuff thank you think inside the industry. People aren’t hush hush and secretive like some make them out to be. You’d just be an a hole for blowing the lid on something, so most people don’t do that.

So that’s like 2% if it.

But it also comes with flights, 8 hour conferences, 8 hour meetings, I once worked a 16.5 hour day… literally with only a single bathroom break. Much less food… and I wasn’t some important piece. I managed for a team of a company inside the industry, I was young. Wasn’t some crazy hard gig to land. Did get “”all”” expense paid trips for conferences and such, kind of cool I guess but since your day is planned for you there isn’t a lot of time to peruse the streets of “x” city. Big wigs ignore you mostly, but you still gotta sit in those meetings, classes, etc. super rare and illustrious gig! So much glamour!

When I did the switch to the media side I networked a lot. Went to mostly local events, had a few items I researched / wrote make it to major news outlets.

Quite a few that didn’t too. Like… the majority.

Gaming media certainly ain’t a money gig outside of the very few big shots. But it was fun, at least, kind of.

On a forum of adults average age mid 30s, I am getting accused of lying about my knowledge of the industry and past work in it all to defend my, ADMITTEDLY, personal views on GAF involving why I think halfway consoles are lame.

K.

Whatever floats your boat man.

BTW, gaming industry jobs ain’t some kind of needle in the haystack kind of thing. Check gaming companies, bet you can find employment easier than you think you can. You’d be surprised.

Last edited:
Top Bottom