• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RUMOR: NX more powerful than PS4, Splatoon/Mario Maker ports in development

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just cant anymore with the Nx rumors

LikableVagueCivet.gif

MuchoMalo

Banned
No one mentioned Polaris.

"Polaris-like" whatever. She was probably referring to 14nmFF as well. Backporting features from Polaris doesn't make any sense. It adds cost but doesn't really change much, so i don't see how or why that would happen. If Nintendo wants a cheap console, it doesn't make sense to make a Frankenstein GPU architecture. That's no less silly than the guy who claimed that it would use Lollipop with features from Marshmallow and Android N backported.

EDIT: Sorry that this came across as kinda rude. I didn't intend for that.

ozfunghi

Both.

The quote from the dev was

So far I know this: Polaris architecture as a base, mixed with Fiji, low power consumption, raw power numbers are modest increase, performance for optimized games for NX would be easily 2x PS4 performance.

And the quote in the OP about "polaris like features" and "under the same underlying architecture".

It could very well be a 28nm Tonga or Fiji gpu with Polaris features, but thraktor stated that would be very expensive and they'd be better off just using Polaris.

But never did I say it's a pure Polaris chip.

This may be a T1 source, but this source is the most credible of mine. So although we should all take this as rumors, I'm pretty sure Emily is wrong on this one.

Thanks dude. Don't sweat it. Maybe you got played, maybe you didn't or stuff got lost in translation... We'll find out eventually i guess.

Edit: maybe they did just start from fiji and add some polaris features like the primitive thingamajig culling stuff.

MK_768

I don't see why. I remember making brawl stages on a grid with the analogue stick, and it worked just fine. I'm sure many other games use this configuration as well. The touchscreen is a luxury not a necessity.

Yes but on Brawl you are confined to a SIGNIFICANTLY smaller space than Mario Maker. It would make forming complicated courses so much more tedious than it is with a stylus.

Edit: Also, clicking and dragging items is simpler. You can quickly tap items or the eraser or whatever. There's no doubt in my mind that stripping away touch controls for a cursor would make it more tedious.

I mean that's how I feel about it lol

Malus

Yes but on Brawl you are confined to a SIGNIFICANTLY smaller space than Mario Maker. It would make forming complicated courses so much more tedious than it is with a stylus.

I mean that's how I feel about it lol

People seem to do just fine with Little Big Planet and courses there are much more flexible.

Anyways, I'm still expecting a donut screen controller :p

RAWi

Awwwwww shit SOURCE WARS

Epic Source Battle of History! 10k's Sources VS. Emily's Sources!!! BEGIN!

---

I am on the side, that the controller will have some sort of screen. I just can't see a Super Mario Maker sequel or port working well. Its doable but not as comfortable and snappy.

Unless, as someone commented before, only for games likes Super Mario Maker, you could use a smartphone, however, it would still not be that great of a solution (but it still is a solution).

MuchoMalo

Banned
Thanks dude. Don't sweat it. Maybe you got played, maybe you didn't or stuff got lost in translation... We'll find out eventually i guess.

If by "eventually" you mean after the console is dissected. :p

So, something just hit me... What are the chance of a dev being given false info about hardware as a way of exposing leakers? Because if that can happen, I think it may have...

Both.

The quote from the dev was

And the quote in the OP about "polaris like features" and "under the same underlying architecture".

It could very well be a 28nm Tonga or Fiji gpu with Polaris features, but thraktor stated that would be very expensive and they'd be better off just using Polaris.

But never did I say it's a pure Polaris chip.

This may be a T1 source, but this source is the most credible of mine. So although we should all take this as rumors, I'm pretty sure Emily is wrong on this one.

My vote is for you :)

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Remember the 360 GPU? We heard the exact same thing. It was right before ATI was gonna drop DX10 GPUs. The 360 GPU was gonna have some forward thinking arch stuff, but power wise it was more inline with DX9 stuff.

Even if Emily is wrong, which I doubt, don't expect anything other than "CPU is slightly better than ps4/X1"
Better to be pleasantly surprised than to suffer a hype train wreck

MK_768

People seem to do just fine with Little Big Planet and courses there are much more flexible.

Anyways, I'm still expecting a donut screen controller :p

I'm willing to be they would find using a stylus much more quicker to create a course :p

It definitely feels like it would be a step back to go from touch controls to control stick.

MuchoMalo

Banned
Remember the 360 GPU? We heard the exact same thing. It was right before ATI was gonna drop DX10 GPUs. The 360 GPU was gonna have some forward thinking arch stuff, but power wise it was more inline with DX9 stuff.

It did have some DX10 features though. I just don't see something similar happening here unless Nintendo saw something that they really wanted.

Even if Emily is wrong, which I doubt, don't expect anything other than "CPU is slightly better than ps4/X1"

And I'm telling you that this doesn't work unless you're happy with those low expectations. It's better to have a minimum expectation and a maximum hope, since just having low but reasonable expectations only means that you'll be disappointed if that's all that you get. No matter what you're trying to tell yourself, you know you want more than that.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage

Which is what LCGeek's chart already showed us.

It's time.

It's time to make a clean break. I need to close this tab and never open it again. I can't go through another situation like with the Wii & WiiU threads. I don't care if the NX is the same or less as a PS4, it will have Zelda at launch and I'm going to buy the console and the game regardless.

But getting hyped over the potential of the NX using cutting edge tech and then getting a conservative system, that's what kills any enthusiasm one might accrue reading threads like these.

I'm checking out of this thread as well. Power isn't a big concern for me but this back and forth on the NX's power is wearing on me.

atbigelow

I still wonder when/how Nintendo will do something about Wii U titles being available in the Virtual Console somehow. Perhaps later on when they have enough performance grunt to emulate the Wii U's Espresso. Either way, they will need a control mechanism to deal with the gamepad.

Could be that, just like PS4+PSV, "Remote Play" is just another feature.

Malus

There are going to be so many disappointed people when the thing is revealed.

Not if they pull an E3 2006 with the lineup.

Well, the thread was already in a mindset of extreme skepticism towards the polaris rumors, despite some trying to put together how it could be possible under the best case scenario.

I'm still clinging to the slightly better than PS4 rumors though, which is kinda funny because I almost certainly wouldn't be able to tell the difference anyways.

Banned
I still wonder when/how Nintendo will do something about Wii U titles being available in the Virtual Console somehow. Perhaps later on when they have enough performance grunt to emulate the Wii U's Espresso. Either way, they will need a control mechanism to deal with the gamepad.

Could be that, just like PS4+PSV, "Remote Play" is just another feature.
Wii U games are going to fade into existence. Keep your Wii U. Keep your GameCube too.

atbigelow

Wii U games are going to fade into existence. Keep your Wii U. Keep your GameCube too.

That seems the easiest path, sure. But maybe not anytime soon, I think they'll want to make a handful of those titles available.

Nintendo has emulated/offered every platform they've had available, sans Virtual Boy. And honestly they should have VB VC purely for Wario Land, but not the point. Wii U did at least better than VB, so I could see it happening someday.

At this point, I'm expecting the NX to be this:

It's going to be a console that has a ton of Nintendo games on it. Some people will like it while others will hate it. It will probably involve some new feature that the internet is going to complain about but some people will like it once they try it out. Third parties might actually make games for it but will probably stop once people didn't buy their late or less-than-stellar ports.

Flip a coin and that will decide its success.

Chase17

I already think Nintendo games look pretty great on Wii U, so I'm not really worried about how much more powerful the NX will be.

I get that it's important to be near PS4/Xbox for 3rd party reasons though.

Linkhero1

At this point, I'm expecting the NX to be this:

It's going to be a console that has a ton of Nintendo games on it. Some people will like it while others will hate it. It will probably involve some new feature that the internet is going to complain about but some people will like it once they try it out. Third parties might actually make games for it but will probably stop once people didn't buy their late or less-than-stellar ports.

Flip a coin and that will decide its success.
Sounds familiar :p

ozfunghi

Maybe the original dev quote should be added to the OP (if people should still care at least):

So far I know this: Polaris architecture as a base, mixed with Fiji, low power consumption, raw power numbers are modest increase, performance for optimized games for NX would be easily 2x PS4 performance.

I mean, the part about Fiji is some info we didn't have before and could very well be the reason for a misunderstanding. Maybe it's more Fiji than Polaris? Just some interesting features of Polaris added.

So... Who're we waiting on to deliver this time? Rōsti, Emily? What's going down?

Emily's sources close to Nintendo said the info in this thread was wrong, about the GPU and about the gimmick (gamepad).

The back and forth is honestly just good fun. 10k made it abundantly clear that each rumor is a rumor, not undeniable fact.

I'm just glad their is hype for Ninty again =*)

atbigelow

I already think Nintendo games look pretty great on Wii U, so I'm not really worried about how much more powerful the NX will be.

I get that it's important to be near PS4/Xbox for 3rd party reasons though.

I don't think it's a worry, as Nintendo and people can make certain games for Wii U no problem. The larger the power envelope the better/easier it will be for development and titles all around, though; not just third-parties.

There are going to be so many disappointed people when the thing is revealed.

Nintendo will not likely showcase the specs, though, and even that Wii U Zelda demo impressed fans. The real test will be the support.

You may have answered this before, but what are your expectations?

Nanashrew

Banned
It's clear that most of you did not even have your expectations or hype in check with this fatalist attitude happening now =/

Rumors are not gospels.

Now it's all negative in here for a barely negative debunk.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
I will say one thing...

Nintendo threads have been the most entertaining these last few years.

From Capitan Todd to squirt gun Mario to 3D printed controller to this thread...and I'm sure I left out some other magical threads.

That said....yea with any rumor its always best to keep expectations in check. There's nothing wrong with wish lists tho.

I'm still betting on an ARM chip. And even if the cpu is slightly better than whats in PS4 and/or XBO I think the PS4 has shown even if the cpu is somewhat lacking vs the competition you can make the console better than the others in other ways.

ozfunghi

It's clear that most of you did not even have your expectations or hype in check with this fatalist attitude happening now =/

Rumors are not gospels.

Indeed. It would be nice though to hear from those sources close to Nintendo what exactly they mean by "still good". GPU is wrong and power level is wrong. What does that mean? Is power level regarding energy efficiency, performance or maybe fabrication process?

Malus

Rumors are not gospels.

Right now this thread is mostly people shaming imaginary people for being too hyped lol. I think the majority expected this.

I would expect Zelda to be 30fps regardless of specs.

I'd rather it be 30fps and let them clean up the texture/image quality as much as possible. I wouldn't be surprised with a straight resolution bump tho.

TLZ

Banned
They need a HDD if they use discs though, because optical discs are just too slow for modern games. Unless I'm mistaken both PS4 and Xbox One (I only own one physical PS4 game) require installation. Nintendo kindof even started going that route with the rather weird solution in Xenoblade X. They can't force people to install 20-50 GB games and not include a decent sized harddrive.

But I say go with carts, no disc drive, no HDD, just enough internal flash memory for some DLC, patches and indie games, and cut down the cost and size of the console considerably.

I hope they go for it. Plug and play, no loading times. I'm done with this silly long installation and loading times on PS4/Xbone. I want to go back to the old days of just sticking a game in and instantly play, not wait 15 minutes fgs.

If they go this route, this alone would have a massive advantage over PS4/Xbone. Will make both looks so archaic and slow.

Eh, and call it Nintendo Ninpo.

Banned
Just remember that LCGeek said the CPU was 15-30% above the XB1 CPU which means the GPU would have to at least match that performance bump. At minimum, it's going to be above PS4 specs.

I would expect Zelda to be 30fps regardless of specs.
If Zelda could be 60 they'd make it 60. WW and TP are likely just an excuse since they have ocassuonal drops, but if Kojima could do it on 5 platforms I'd hope the Zelda team can
Just remember that LCGeek said the CPU was 15-30% above the XB1 CPU which means the GPU would have to at least match that performance bump. At minimum, it's going to be above PS4 specs.
Emily didn't say otherwise. Just not some of the specifics mentioned

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom