• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Nvidia might be working on a PC handheld rival to Steam Deck

Oppoi

Steam Deck made a difference after all. Rattling the hornets nest that is. Valve will keep winning as always. Love to see it!

WitchHunter

Banned
I'm starting to get a bit confused about why so many companies are suddenly trying to enter this niche.

The Steamdeck was a decent success but we aren't exactly talking of Iphone-like earth-shattering sales. I doubt that there's that much to make, especially if you start to fragment the market even more.
creativity much,

if it doesn't have a kill the boss AI feature, then JH can go home. it should also publish the feat to youtube and brag about how you didn't lose 1 inch of health in the process.

BlackTron

Nintendo, Valve, Nvidia, Asus, Lenovo, MSI, other chinesse company, Microsoft and maybe Sony.

What the f... hell...

I remember we all thought it was lame that the "secret innovation" Miyamoto was afraid would get stolen if revealed too early turned out to be the trigger design in the Gamecube controller. But TBH I would have been paranoid as well lol

This has been an easy wait with switch + laptop but seeing the name Nvidia is the first time I felt genuine want reading about a PC handheld. I doubt the rumor but if it happened I think it would annoy Nintendo, not that Nvidia gives a shit. I was holding out for Deck 2 which I presumed would make Deck 1 look like a brick, but who knows. Maybe Nvidia will make it look like an even bigger brick

darrylgorn

On the one hand, they would be an excellent manufacturer for a handheld. On the other hand, the market is becoming saturated, so I'm not sure they would even be successful with a great product.

Robb

Gold Member
I’m more interested in seeing the next iteration of the SteamDeck personally, but more competition is good. I’d definitely be interested in seeing what they can bring to the table.

I will say though... I expect the Switch 2 SoC to be semi custom but not exclusive. Could nVidia make a Shield or Shield TV out of a different configuration? I guess.

I feel like if they were gonna do this that it would be a more recent arch, cost more, higher priced.

If some unknown chinese company can get a x86 license to produce embedded systems I'm sure Nvidia can

That was absorbed from VIA, who legitimately had an x86 license. Not sure about how legal their x86-64 products are. But nobody is going to stop China from doing China things.

Either way I don't think you will see any products from them outside of China.

Silver Wattle

Gold Member
GIF by FirstAndMonday

MLID? When will you guys learn.

qbxwhi

if nvidia went off and made their own I am sure Nintendo wouldnt be happy about that.

wonder how things are between nintendo and nvidia

This seems super unlikely because yes as it turns out things called contracts exist and I would not be surprised if Nvidia's contract with Nintendo precludes them from introducing their own handheld which would compete with the Switch family

A.Romero

why partner with Intel over AMD?
this is interesting nonetheless, this might be the first PC handheld with a dedicated gpu
Don't know if serious but Nvidia and AMD are direct competitors. It makes much more sense to partner with pretty much anyone but AMD.

Loomy

Thinks Microaggressions are Real
Not only does it make sense in general
Does it though?

Revenue from this would be your pocket change's pocket change compared to what they're making supplying everyone with hardware for AI research and development. It makes more sense for Nvidia to supply processors for these devices, not to develop and manufacture it themselves.

Spec wise it would be great for sure, but it would be overpriced for sure, same as all their graphic cards…

On the other hand, probably they cannot go too high, because there is more competition out there. I am still waiting for the Intel graphic cards to catch up to NVIDIA and AMD, because then the graphic cards prices would probably also reach reasonable levels again.

Top Bottom