• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Images of Logitech & Tencent's new handheld console have leaked.

https://www.gsmarena.com/images_of_...ndheld_show_it_running_android-news-55576.php
Earlier this month Logitech G, the gaming-oriented branch of the peripherals maker, announced that it will launch a “cloud gaming handheld” later this year in partnership with Tencent Games. Little is known about the handheld and the design is kept under wraps – well, it was, until Evan Blass got involved (the images quickly got removed due to a DMCA complaint).

The design looks similar to the one seen in Tencent patent filings for a “PC console”, but that’s no surprise – there are only so many ways to design a landscape handheld with all the sticks, buttons and triggers necessary for most games.

Crucially, the leaked images reveal something important about the actual device – it runs Android (complete with the Google Play Store), so it isn’t a PC like Valve’s Steam Deck.

Admittedly, the platform doesn’t matter too much since this device is focused on streaming rather than native games. Logitech and Tencent said they are in talks to feature Xbox Cloud Gaming and Nvidia GeForce Now on the handheld and both services already have Android apps. The image also shows the Steam icon, so the two companies may have secured another important partner.

Here the controls (Logitech’s forte) and connectivity are the key aspects. Speaking of, the image only shows Wi-Fi and Bluetooth. That doesn’t mean that there won’t be a 5G version of the handheld for on-the-go gaming, but it does make it more likely (promo images usually show the fully stacked models).
https://www.theverge.com/2022/8/30/23328440/logitech-g-gaming-handheld-google-play-cloud-gaming
The Logitech G Gaming Handheld looks roughly the same size as a Nintendo Switch, and it even includes a Switch-like UI where you scroll through apps and games. One leaked image shows Chrome and YouTube apps, alongside Xbox, Nvidia, and Steam icons. While Blass tweeted images of the handheld, Logitech was quick to file a DMCA complaint to remove them from Twitter (and thus confirm the authenticity of the device).
gsmarena_001.jpg

logitechggaming.0.jpg

Logitech_G_Gaming_Handheld_2.jpg

This handheld looks like it's aiming to be a hybrid like the Steam Deck, but the fact this is going to run Android introduces and immediate bottleneck to functionality and major developer support. You don't need powerful specs to run android games, and many of the engines out there, including ones that can scale, wouldn't be compatible with Android. This also guarantees this will be lower spec.

Logitech products also have varying quality, and they are making this in a partnership with Tencent, a primarily mobile gaming company which is where most of it's revenue comes from.

With that being said, Logitech seems to know about the hardware weaknesses and it is ideally supposed to be used for streaming where hardware doesn't matter, talking with Nvidia and Microsoft about Geoforce Now and XCloud integration. But why would the casual mobile gamer buy this hardware device, when they already have a Samsung Galaxy or Iphone, or Tablet, that can already handle streaming? Then for TV's you have the influx of new Android TV devices, and the Xbox Series S, not to mention the Switch, and if you would rather have a PC than an Android gadget, you have the Steam Deck.

I'm not sure if there's a market for this hardware to be honest. Maybe Tencent can help make it a niche in China but that's the best I can see this device performing.

reksveks

You don't need powerful specs to run android games, and many of the engines out there, including ones that can scale, wouldn't be compatible with Android.
What engine are you thinking about?

I have a steam deck and a kishi V2, still think there is a difference between those two and this kind of device. It all depends on the price.

gundalf

Who asked for an Handheld Ouya? Will be awesome for emulation though (but the market for that is already saturated).
Gamers want handheld x86, that's a fact.

/Edit
Although I find the partnership between Tencent and Logitech in this case weird, I mean as a chinese company Tencent has plenty of experienced local OEMs, logitech doesn't add much.

Last edited:

DaGwaphics

They describe it as a "cloud gaming handheld", so I'm taking it that larger games are meant to be run from Xcloud, GeforceNow, Stadia, etc.

I like the general concept, I'm just unsure about a device that seems similar in size to local handheld hardware. This is something that would be better in a compact clamshell design IMO. That would result in something more portable that doesn't need any type of case to protect the screen.

Fbh

Since it's logitech it should be of decent quality.

But android only sucks and visually the thick round edges, white color and yellow highlights give it too much of a toy look IMO

VN1X

Banned
Looks perfect for the markets where mobile (competitive) games are all the rage such as India and Brazil. I can see this thing being really nice for battle royale games.

dacuk

Well, at least I hope Logi sells this thru regular retail channels for me to actually purchase one.
Valve still refuses to sell the Deck to gamers of my country.

Crayon

The switch control layout is a total deal breaker at this point. It's only good for crushing the length of the unit down with little regard for usability.

Razvedka

Banned
Who asked for an Handheld Ouya? Will be awesome for emulation though (but the market for that is already saturated).
Gamers want handheld x86, that's a fact.

/Edit
Although I find the partnership between Tencent and Logitech in this case weird, I mean as a chinese company Tencent has plenty of experienced local OEMs, logitech doesn't add much.
Logitech has credibility and brand recognition.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
it ain’t hard. If you use your phone for streaming, you will drain your phone battery life and can’t use your phone.

That’s similar to comparing an Oculus Go to a Samsung Gear VR. You have a dedicated solution to streaming vs a makeshift solution to streaming.

it ain’t hard. If you use your phone for streaming, you will drain your phone battery life and can’t use your phone.

That’s similar to comparing an Oculus Go to a Samsung Gear VR. You have a dedicated solution to streaming vs a makeshift solution to streaming.

So you're going to carry your 7 inch phone AND this? No.

Don't forget all those overpowered gaming phones running Android 2, ZTE Nubia, Rog Phone, Razer and others.

Switch has opened the gates to console/pc type games on handhelds. Its only up from here for handhelds.
Maybe time MS and Playstation join the handheld market. Everyone else is

This is a cloud gaming device, no one is making handhelds, Steam Deck is a portable PC that can be hooked to a monitor or TV, it's basically a Windows Phone.

Logitech has credibility and brand recognition.

I remember Logitech being compared to Madcats for years, and I must have missed when they suddenly got better because you aren't the only comment saying they make quality products.

Apocryphon

Looks cheap and sounds both underpowered and hobbled by Android. I owned the original NVIDIA Shield and the Shield Tablet and while both were interesting to tinker with, I won't ever buy another Android based gaming platform again.

Can't see this device being anything but a complete failure.

psn

That thing is probably way too close to a steam deck or switch price wise - and mobile games s*ck ass anyways if you ask me.

Will be modded so as long as the hardware is good I wouldn’t mind it to stream local games at home. Every system doesn’t have to do everything.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
Ohh I was wrong… I thought this was going to be a horrible device, but it’s also a cheap POS. My bad.

Last edited:

Fat Frog

I advertised for Google Stadia
What they need ? Low price tag and genuine way to optimize cloud gaming.
(otherwise it would be another razor kishi+ screen)

And yeah... During the energy crisis in europe, people will save a lot of money in general with cloud gaming. (you'll pay only for the 1080p video feed, Microsoft, Amazon, Google will pay most of the bill from their data centers running your games...)

Last edited:

ReBurn

Gold Member
I use Xbox cloud gaming on my iPad with an Xbox controller sometimes. That works really well. I'd never buy a handheld specifically for that, though. I'd just get one of those Bluetooth controller cradles for my phone and call it a day.

After owning a steamdeck, i can't go back. Switch is fine for console games and indies, but straight up pc games, the deck rocks for one main reason, The trackpads and back buttons. Two things some people scoff at.
They are needed for so many games. Especially games some of the genres that i prefer, strategy and city builders.

Steamdeck all the way. Also who wants to stream everything. You can do that with your phone already for psn and steam.

Android? Yeah, no thanks. I used to buy games on Android and the fact is many of my games don't work properly anymore due to never being updated by developers. The ones that do update are pay to win or filled with micro transactions. I won't touch games in the Android ecosystem ever again

Top Bottom