• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: God of War trilogy remaster in the works

Status
Not open for further replies.

WitchHunter

Banned
https://www.eurogamer.net/original-god-of-war-trilogy-is-rumoured-to-be-getting-remastered

Not sure how credible this guy is. Whatever the case, it would be nice for them to finally bring the original games into the modern era since the only way to play them is on PS2 or with the PS3 collection. III I believe is playable on PS5 with BC from the remastered GOW III on PS4.

I could see them porting this to PC as well to drum up interest before porting Ragnarok. That way, the four games leading up to the grand finale of the Norse Saga would be available on every platform. Knowing you cynical bastards, I know you'll shit on this.
First two games didn't age very well. They gonna need to work a lot on those to bring them to today's standards.

If it is real, it needs to include the PSP duology and Ascension, I mean, they're really not that good, but it would be nice to have the whole series native on PS5, because you know 2018 is getting a remaster anytime, so...
Ascension is meh but the PSP games are excellent.

Doubt we'll get any of these since modern GoW is so drastically different and the new fans might not care for the old style.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
You can get all the games on PS2 or PS3 for the price of McDonald’s for you and your boyfriend. The consoles themselves are cheaper than a year’s subscription of PlayStation Plus. If you haven’t played the games yet, don’t make the rest of us miss out on new games due to wasting time programming another remaster.
And you can get the same quality of most new games on mobile for free, what's your point.
You know I just watch an 18 year old unwrap a bunch of Remakes and was so excited by them.
I asked why he didn't ask for any new games and he said they was new games to him, plus the older games are just better.
I have to agree

Fake

Remastering a game is not expensive and the return can be lucrative. The question is if the game is old enough to be remaster or not.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Remastering a game is not expensive and the return can be lucrative. The question is if the game is old enough to be remaster or not.
Well a Remaster is just porting the code and editing, even when it's in a new engine like TLOUpt1, the code is ported over and then they get to work of upgrading and editing the code.

A Remake is a different story all together.
It basically like doing a new game from scratch, they just have the original to reference from.
What Capcom has done is impressive as they have launched 3 Remakes and 2 new games while others have only done one New game and a Remaster in the same time period.

Fake

Well a Remaster is just porting the code and editing, even when it's in a new engine like TLOUpt1, the code is ported over and then they get to work of upgrading and editing the code.

A Remake is a different story all together.
It basically like doing a new game from scratch, they just have the original to reference from.
What Capcom has done is impressive as they have launched 3 Remakes and 2 new games while others have only done one New game and a Remaster in the same time period.

Thats why I'm onboard of remaster under two condicions:

- The need to be old
- No touches on anything the game have (Assuming modern Sony hate old Kratos behavior)

Remake is indeed a different story, thats why I'm against people whining over Bloodborne remake. They use more money, some changes not always turn well to the community and we have those snowflakes directors saying 'We take the liberty of making changes'.

Huge red flag for Silent Hill 2, but this is a story for another thread.

Last edited:

Fake

God of War 3 is nearly 14 fucking years old. Demons Souls was 11 years old when it remade…

Your point?

The thing about Demons Souls remake not being a huge sucess is that Sony did a load of silly changes in the game, transform a heavily art direction game into a unecessary graphic showcase.

The Dark Souls remaster in the other hand is very popular and did changes that not interfere in the game astetics at all. The game core and art directions remains intact somehow. Probably did some profit for From Software.

Last edited:

cormack12

Gold Member
I only see the point in two options

1. Remake in the new genre (but I do think they will struggle to outdo fights like poseidon, cronos which means it won't compare favourably)
2. Completely authentic Remasters and from that point we return to the superior hack and slash format of the previous games.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Your point?

The thing about Demons Souls remake not being a huge sucess is that Sony did a load of silly changes in the game, transform a heavily art direction game into a unecessary graphic showcase.

The Dark Souls remaster in the other hand is very popular and did changes that not interfere in the game astetics at all. The game core and art directions remains intact somehow. Probably did some profit for From Software.
My point? They've remade less old games than God of War....duh.

Dark Souls remaster had some changes. Namely the placing of an additional bonfire in the catacombs

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Put a chick in it and make her gay

220px-Heavenly_Sword_Game_Cover.jpg

Fake

My point? They've remade less old games than God of War....duh.

Dark Souls remaster had some changes. Namely the placing of an additional bonfire in the catacombs

?
Still trying to understand you. I not against old games getting remastered.

I'm against new games getting remakes and remaster.

The problem in this sittuation is that Sony is getting too much progressive, so they could change some aspect of the old games, actually change all the game. Is already proved that they hate Kratos as a character, they just need him to make profit.

Dazraell

God of War 3 is nearly 14 fucking years old. Demons Souls was 11 years old when it remade…
You can still play it on PS5 through the remaster they did for PS4 which was released in 2015. It's really unecessary. That being said, the same thing happened with The Last of Us 1 so who knows

God of War 1 and 2 could work though as you can only play them via highest PS Plus tier or through PS2 / PS3 copies

peronmls

Another remaster? I already have the all in 1 remaster collection for ps4 that I bought for $20. It has the 2 prequels and 1-3. Sounds more like a port they will be splitting into 2 volumes. More than likely a PC version.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
?
Still trying to understand you. I not against old games getting remastered.

I'm against new games getting remakes and remaster.

The problem in this sittuation is that Sony is getting too much progressive, so they could change some aspect of the old games, actually change all the game. Is already proved that they hate Kratos as a character, they just need him to make profit.
Im with you on that. I want a brutal/womanizing Kratos who pulls no punches.

coffinbirth

If it is real, it needs to include the PSP duology and Ascension, I mean, they're really not that good, but it would be nice to have the whole series native on PS5, because you know 2018 is getting a remaster anytime, so...
One of the PSP games was VERY good, I don't remember which one, as I completed them both upon release...400 years ago. Ghost of Sparta, I think.

Cool, I can't wait for them to scrub out all the nudity and sexual content.

There's no possible way modern Sony is releasing a game where you brutally murder an innocent topless woman ala GoWIII, if GoWIII had originally come out just a couple of years later that would have been a HUGE scandal, we're talking "getting pulled off store shelves" level of outrage and scandal.

Yes, there was the PS4 re-release but since that wasn't a new game most people weren't paying attention, if III had been a *new* game in a post Tropes vs Women world, it would have been a disaster and there's no way it would be re-released as is today.

Can't wait to see Aphodite in her new role as a sassy black woman, girl bossing shitlord Kratos around.

Don't trust Santa Monica one bit with this.

truth411

Please be true, but I assume it will be a Remake not a Remaster like Demon Souls. I would love a native PS5 version of God Of War 2 with all the bells and whistles!!

The OG God of War games are super unwoke, I can imagine trying to release them again would give them serious issues with the woke crowd in 2024 or whatever year
The irony is, they were the equivalent of Woke for their time, the whole thing had a tone of "isn't war fucking barbaric and awful?" which had obvious commentary for the Iraq war, in fact the ending of the first game showed a modern day soldier, prusambly fighting in Iraq, making the connection clear, David Jaffe even wanted to make a modern day war game with more obvious Iraq parallels before it was canceled.

In addition to that, the idea of depicting gods as corrupt and mercilus backstabbers whose mission for you is to fucking kill feels very reminiscent of the "new Atheism" backlash against all Religion that was going around at the time, the fact that the second and third games has you trying to take down a literal bearded "sky daddy" deity makes that even more obvious.

So back then the equivalent to "Woke" was edgelord nihilism, which the original games dealt in, then that shifted to the Mr Rogers "won't you be my neighbor?" shit we have today.

Screw these remasters proper remakes are what's needed. If sony had half decent emulation we'd already be playing the remaster.
Why give decent BC and/or emulation if you can sell the games again?

This. The old games still play well. People interested in them or wanting to replay them should be able to simply buy them in PSN or have the PS5 play old discs. Fuck this approach of wasting resources on The Last of Us Remastered #3 and offering nothing but poorly emulated PS1 shovelware in the digital store.

Last edited:

Bernardougf

Gold Member
I hope is the first step to bringing back old Kratos and GoW games.. this daddy issues case studies have overstated its welcome

Majormaxxx

If this is true, I suppose they will unlock resolution and fps to 1080p/60 for 1-2, add gow3 without change and release. Optionally they might Ai upscale 1-2 textures.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom