• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: God of War trilogy remaster in the works

Status
Not open for further replies.
They can use AI.

giphy.gif

rxt-remix.gif

radewagon

The BEST god of war games. not like the last 2 garbage we been getting. I am in. hopefully it sell more than the shit they released recently for them to reconsider.
Yeah, we like it when our God of War games copy Devil May Cry instead of Dark Souls.

Whatever, I like em both.

Killjoy-NL

With the current circumstance of mega goliath game budgets/size of studios I believe it.

Needed revenue from these remasters because the next God of War is probably going to be pushing between half to three quarters of a billion in its budget.
Don't forget that a lot of Xbox gamers are jumping ship to Playstation and might have missed out on all the classics.
This goes for relatively new gamers as well.

Pretty sure this plays a large part in Sony's strategy along with getting people to build their libraries to increase incentive to stay within the Playstation-ecosystem.

-Zelda-

Banned
Would be nice. First the Tomb Raider original trilogy, now this. Would also like a remaster trilogy for the first 3 Resident Evil games.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Yeah, GoW3 remaster on PS4 is great. Not sure it needs to be done. I just beat it the other day on my PS5.

However a remaster of the first 2? .......That has me interested.

HUGE GoW fan here. I've played the SHIT out of all the games except the one with deimos in. I love all the games.
it looks like shit. Could be 4k120fps HDR !!!
I don't imagine they can remaster all 3 games and keep sex in there. No way. Not unless there is angrboda and atreus standing outside the door and puking.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
A Remake in GOW2018 style would be interesting but would have to be current gen only but it would make GOW2018 & Ragnarok look like a TV adaptation in comparison.
They need to seriously make this different enough for me to give a shit.

Make a first person mode for a start. Give it the best graphics possible. Fully destructible environments and finally a Battle Royale multiplayer mode.

Do all of that and I might consider it.
Ryan Reynolds Wtf GIF

Their refusal to remake God damn bloodborne is so frustrating

Seriously, nothing for Bloodborne makes no sense. These companies are really bad when it comes to porting over or even just making simple 60 fps patches for legacy content. They don't realize that they're losing people to PC gaming by not making these games available and at decent resolution and fps.

Sad thing is now that both MS and Sony have expanded into PC gaming they're even less worried about providing similar gamer friendly features like great backwards compatibility. So MS may have a decent library of BC games (could be better) but so many of these games are stuck at shitty 720p/30 fps. MS was starting to go down the track of backwards compatibility but just gave up on it once they went all in with GamePass and multiplatform releases.

Sony is even worse. Jim Ryan and other suits at Sony have openly expressed disdain for "old" games. Sure, we'll get a remake here and there. They reluctantly did some obligatory patching of ps4 games for the PS5, but it's really just a pittance compared to what they could do.

Don't forget that a lot of Xbox gamers are jumping ship to Playstation and might have missed out on all the classics.
This goes for relatively new gamers as well.

Pretty sure this plays a large part in Sony's strategy along with getting people to build their libraries to increase incentive to stay within the Playstation-ecosystem.
I went back to look at God of War 3, hands down visually the best on rail cinematic game ever made. Look at the Cronos fight, they were literally animating the eye brow mass on the character boss, the texturing, effects.. Lol this game doesn’t look like a PS3 title at all. The game actually has shadowing, light bounce, materials, masterclass shit.

Last edited:
Seriously, nothing for Bloodborne makes no sense. These companies are really bad when it comes to porting over or even just making simple 60 fps patches for legacy content. They don't realize that they're losing people to PC gaming by not making these games available and at decent resolution and fps.

Sad thing is now that both MS and Sony have expanded into PC gaming they're even less worried about providing similar gamer friendly features like great backwards compatibility. So MS may have a decent library of BC games (could be better) but so many of these games are stuck at shitty 720p/30 fps. MS was starting to go down the track of backwards compatibility but just gave up on it once they went all in with GamePass and multiplatform releases.

Sony is even worse. Jim Ryan and other suits at Sony have openly expressed disdain for "old" games. Sure, we'll get a remake here and there. They reluctantly did some obligatory patching of ps4 games for the PS5, but it's really just a pittance compared to what they could do.
I would have to agree with you. Even I who has historically declined PC gaming am likely going to dip in soon. Sure it'll be a learning curve and that's why I didn't want to do it. But at this point a PC has way more to offer me in so many regards.

I went back to look at God of War 3, hands down visually the best on rail cinematic game ever made. Look at the Cronos fight, they were literally animating the eye brow mass on the character boss, the texturing, effects.. Lol this game doesn’t look like a PS3 title at all. The game actually has shadowing, light bounce, materials, masterclass shit.
God of War 3 with a Mortal Kombat 1 shading model, oh my goodness.

Last edited:

Roufianos

Oh FFS, another fake rumour from this attention whore. They had him on Xbox Two the other day and he claimed he was already privy to most of the Insomniac leak.

Barakov

Gold Member
https://www.eurogamer.net/original-god-of-war-trilogy-is-rumoured-to-be-getting-remastered

Not sure how credible this guy is. Whatever the case, it would be nice for them to finally bring the original games into the modern era since the only way to play them is on PS2 or with the PS3 collection. III I believe is playable on PS5 with BC from the remastered GOW III on PS4.

I could see them porting this to PC as well to drum up interest before porting Ragnarok. That way, the four games leading up to the grand finale of the Norse Saga would be available on every platform. Knowing you cynical bastards, I know you'll shit on this.
Episode 4 Reaction GIF by Law & Order

You can get all the games on PS2 or PS3 for the price of McDonald’s for you and your boyfriend. The consoles themselves are cheaper than a year’s subscription of PlayStation Plus. If you haven’t played the games yet, don’t make the rest of us miss out on new games due to wasting time programming another remaster.

I don't doubt for a second that Sony would remaster or remake their back catalogue. That's their modus operandi this gen. A safe route and a profitable one.

What I doubt is the source. What's the credibility/track record of some random Twitter bot having his own podcast, and Eurogamer picking up on this as "rumor"?

I think EG have their own sources within Sony confirming this, but framing the article and passing it off as "reporting rumor from random online source" to not damage their reputation with Sony and get blacklisted by them for future content, especially hot off the Insomniac leak where everyone at Sony is both, pissed and worried about their security.

Well, I could see the point of a remade/remastered collection if it were to coincide with the premiere of Prime Video's God of War show in 2025, which also marks the series' 20th anniversary.

They did launch the Uncharted: Legacy of Thieves Collection alongside the Uncharted film, The Last Of Us Part I in advance to the HBO show, had GT7 in stores and receiving new content every month by the time the Gran Turismo film came out and we know Firesprite took over Lucid's Twisted Metal project and are likely aiming to get it out with season 2 of the show.

I guess. But TLOU was a remake; between that and the first 3 GOW games, if any actually "needed" a Remake treatment it'd probably be those GOW games. Not from a gameplay POV (tho I guess they could add QoL features, maybe a few new modes and additional difficulty options), but just to give them a visual boost.

You know, like with the Demon's Souls remake that launched with the PS5. Timing these with the shows makes sense but for an IP like GOW and original releases as old as at least 1 & 2, it feels like a bit of a cheap-out to just limit them to remasters.

But again, look at the source of the rumor. I highly doubt it's true considering who it is :/

PSYGN

It's hard to believe we are getting another remaster. No risk more rewards! What a time to be alive!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom