• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rottenwatch: Iron Man

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
OokieSpookie said:
I disagree.
One of the nice things that they did right in Iron Man is give the armor real weight.
The last thing I want to see is some wire fu matrix crap which has become way too cliche.

Whoa whoa! I specifically mentioned not martial arts and by extension - wire fu - which has ruined a lot of martial arts pics.

I can't place it, it just needed more imagination? A lot of the fights were the same...

Saw the movie last night and liked it. One positive is that it didn't spend too much time on Stark's background. They warped through that but revealed enough so that you get what the guy is about and then get to the Iron Man part pretty quickly. That's where movies like Spawn fell into the toilet, spending a whole movie brooding over crap nobody cares about.

Loved the Iron Man soundtrack too.

GuessWho

you know who I can't stand anymore. Samuel L. Jackson. When i saw him as Nick, that got a huge lol out of me. I would of loved it if they used Bruce Willis as Nick Fury.

duckroll

GuessWho said:
you know who I can't stand anymore. Samuel L. Jackson. When i saw him as Nick, that got a huge lol out of me. I would of loved it if they used Bruce Willis as Nick Fury.

That's exactly what my dad said last night. :lol

GuessWho said:

The thing is Jackson is such a terrible actor and the fact that he's in every god damn movie makes it hard to see his character as a character and not Sam Jackson. That's my biggest problem with him. I'm just sick of seeing him.

harSon

Banned
DarkJediKnight said:
The thing is Jackson is such a terrible actor and the fact that he's in every god damn movie makes it hard to see his character as a character and not Sam Jackson. That's my biggest problem with him. I'm just sick of seeing him.

Your account is obviously named after the great Samuel L. Jackson.

Splatt

GuessWho said:

DarkJediKnight said:

2vi1n6g.jpg

Not photoshopped

GuessWho said:

...but Sam Jackson IS Nick Fury.......
Ultimate universe man, get with it!

Prime crotch said:
Yeah Ennis's Nick Fury would have been awesome.

Ennis's Fury sleeps with two hookers whenever he wants, and doesn't even think twice about it!

Ennis's Fury can smoke in places where it's not allowed, which is braggable.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Blader5489 said:
So it sounds like Favreau is sticking to the idea of substituting an Iron Man 3 with the Avengers film. It's a good idea, though a little disappointing since Paltrow and Howard aren't likely to be in The Avengers.

Hm? I doubt that actually. If Marvel is going into this the way they seem to be going into it, they'll try to pull all the movies together come Avengers.

While unlikely, I hope something can be negotiated so that it can be a mix of old and new Avengers by getting Spidey in there somehow. Or at least Wolverine. Would be cool to see them bring those two series into the movie universe they're trying to create.

Blader

omg rite said:
Hm? I doubt that actually. If Marvel is going into this the way they seem to be going into it, they'll try to pull all the movies together come Avengers.

While unlikely, I hope something can be negotiated so that it can be a mix of old and new Avengers by getting Spidey in there somehow. Or at least Wolverine. Would be cool to see them bring those two series into the movie universe they're trying to create.

What are you doubting? Favreau has said the Avengers film would make a better substitute for a third Iron Man film--as franchises tend to run out of stem on the third entry--and Downey Jr. is only contracted for three films, all of three of which we know of now.

anaron

Took me long enough to post. =P

Saw it friday night, waited an hour in line for the 10:45 screening. Completely worth it.
This movie was just awesome in every aspect. well written and directed, fantastic casting, and most all just fun. It really made me desperate for more of Iron Man.(who I never really cared about but still liked)

When Samuel L Jackson appeared I was like lol whut? I really don't care for him anymore and wish it was regular Nick Fury instead. :[

ZeoVGM

Banned
Blader5489 said:
What are you doubting? Favreau has said the Avengers film would make a better substitute for a third Iron Man film--as franchises tend to run out of stem on the third entry--and Downey Jr. is only contracted for three films, all of three of which we know of now.

All you did was make what I said make more sense.

It's highly likely you'll at least see them in Avengers for a moment. It won't just be Tony by himself. It would feel hollow.

Avengers is a movie that should be one of those nice 3 hour movies. Lots of characters to fit in.

ZeoVGM

Banned
anaron said:
When Samuel L Jackson appeared I was like lol whut? I really don't care for him anymore and wish it was regular Nick Fury instead. :[

But you shouldn't have been. Sam Jackson being Nick Fury is one of the best comic casting choices ever.

Solo

Slot me into the "good, but not great or especially memorable" camp. Its light and breezy and fun, but its so damn derivative. It goes everywhere you expect it to, and not in new or exciting ways. The direction is really poor, and the editing was rather shoddy too. The characters all feel so one dimensional, Stark included. And I am about the biggest RDJ fanboy you'll find, but I honestly dont think his performance was as charasmatic and engaging as its being made out to be. I felt his similar performance in KKBB was leagues better, and worth the price of admission for that film. Back to some final positives: the effects were great, there was some great humor, and RDJ's performance, while not the second coming as previously mentioned, is still the reason to see the movie. Ill see the sequel for sure, but its not something Ill be biting my nails in anticipation for.

Since this is the internet, and comparisons are what we do, Id slot this into the middle tier of superhero flicks. It shits all over the X3's, Punisher's, Fantastic Fours, and the Superman Returns' of the world, but I don't think it holds a candle to S-M2, BB, or even Sin City. For me, this is basically on the level of S-M1 and X2.

Kastro

Banned
Solo said:
Slot me into the "good, but not great or especially memorable" camp. Its light and breezy and fun, but its so damn derivative. It goes everywhere you expect it to, and not in new or exciting ways. The direction is really poor, and the editing was rather shoddy too. The characters all feel so one dimensional, Stark included. And I am about the biggest RDJ fanboy you'll find, but I honestly dont think his performance was as charasmatic and engaging as its being made out to be. I felt his similar performance in KKBB was leagues better, and worth the price of admission for that film. Back to some final positives: the effects were great, there was some great humor, and RDJ's performance, while not the second coming as previously mentioned, is still the reason to see the movie. Ill see the sequel for sure, but its not something Ill be biting my nails in anticipation for.

Since this is the internet, and comparisons are what we do, Id slot this into the middle tier of superhero flicks. It shits all over the X3's, Punisher's, Fantastic Fours, and the Superman Returns' of the world, but I don't think it holds a candle to S-M2, BB, or even Sin City. For me, this is basically on the level of S-M1 and X2.

Agreed 100%. The overwhelming praise for this movie is baffling.

:lol 99th greatest movie of all time currently on IMDb.

I have been thinking about it and I really REALLY hope they do not do something stupid like try and get Jet Li for The Mandarin in IM2.
I would love to see The Mandarin as the main baddy but I also want to see the russian Crimson Dynamo and also Titanium Man in it also.

Why does gaf make spiderman 2 out to be a great movie? The train scene was oooookaaaay. Otherwise bad dialouge, corny scenarios, etc.
Maybe you have to be a fan to appreciate it, but if anything has made me disinterested in the spiderman franchise it was the raimi chick flicks.

Solo said:

I honestly can't comprehend how some of you enjoy any kinds of art. The film is derivative because it is based off of a comic book. If you're looking for challenging or unconventional narratives I can recommend you an author or two. You're simply not going to find a deep, engaging plot in super hero movies. I don't really understand how the direction is poor. At least I could tell what was going on in this film, unlike some of the other summer blockbusters like Transformers. The characters are one dimensional? It's like I said, they're comic book characters. The reason why people are masturbating over Downey is because he IS Tony Stark. That is picture perfect casting and I think he carried the film.

Banned
Blader5489 said:
Do we even know he is directing Avengers?

LakeEarth

I saw the movie, loved it but... I realized something JUST now.... we got BK after we saw the movie. DAMN YOU PRODUCT PLACEMENT! It got me.

Orin GA

I wish I could hat you to death
I saw the movie that I thought it was "ok". For one thing, I hate origin movies. As an avid comic book reader I already know the characters history I dont want to see it again.Which is why I hated the FF4 movie with a passion. Another thing is that alot of the things that happened in the Movie also happened in the Animated Film. The only major difference was the bad guy.

B-

allreal

LakeEarth said:
I saw the movie, loved it but... I realized something JUST now.... we got BK after we saw the movie. DAMN YOU PRODUCT PLACEMENT! It got me.

lol i felt like there was so much product placement in that movie... tony stark has one of the shittiest phones for a billionaire.

Firestorm

I never read Iron Man and I liked this movie a lot. Was a good change of pace from most superhero movies I found. Especially liked that
his identity isn't secret
. I didn't know the comics did that for him and I really think it's a refreshing change of pace.

After credits was awesome :D

Blader5489 said:
Wtf? It's from the trailer.

Did it occur to you that some people might be in hibernation mode. I'm not saying don't make a gif out of something from the trailer, just don't make a gif out of something as spoilerific as that. Please.

Mistouze

user-friendly man-cashews
Firestorm said:
I never read Iron Man and I liked this movie a lot. Was a good change of pace from most superhero movies I found. Especially liked that
. I didn't know the comics did that for him and I really think it's a refreshing change of pace.

Well for a long time Iron Man was officially Tony Stark's bodyguard, but they make fun of it in the movie and just go with Tony Stark outing himself at the first occasion.

Living Laser for Iron Man 2 +1!!!

Asbel

Why do people complain that Iron Man is one dimensional then bring up Frank Miller's movies as if they have depth? While entertaining pop corn flicks, none of Miller's movies were more than one dimension and neither was DKR.

Mistouze said:
Well for a long time Iron Man was officially Tony Stark's bodyguard, but they make fun of it in the movie and just go with Tony Stark outing himself at the first occasion.

Living Laser for Iron Man 2 +1!!!

I'm calling this, that the press doesn't believe him and just blows it off as "Stark being Stark"....

Evander

"industry expert"
Firestorm said:

As was said, the comics didn't do that for him from the very begining, but I think that post-civil war it kind of makes sense that Stark would be in to divulging his identity.

Absinthe said:
I honestly can't comprehend how some of you enjoy any kinds of art. The film is derivative because it is based off of a comic book. If you're looking for challenging or unconventional narratives I can recommend you an author or two. You're simply not going to find a deep, engaging plot in super hero movies. I don't really understand how the direction is poor. At least I could tell what was going on in this film, unlike some of the other summer blockbusters like Transformers. The characters are one dimensional? It's like I said, they're comic book characters. The reason why people are masturbating over Downey is because he IS Tony Stark. That is picture perfect casting and I think he carried the film.

GAF wants up close, dark, shaky-cam fight scenes, that would have been broody, edgy and exciting!

I agree with you. While Iron Man is pretty up front and basic, I think that's why it works. I didn't find myself asking this question as I left the theater, "Why did they do that?" Which is usually what happens for a scene or two in these comic book flicks.

The only real knock I have against it is that pretty early I could tell Jeff Bridges was the bad guy. Thought of it during the Stark history slide show when they showed the magazine cover with Bridges turned aside in favor of Stark and was positive of it when Stark came back after being held captive. Plus, you never trust Jeff Bridges, you just don't. But that didn't ruin the movie for me.

SonnyBoy

I guess I'm in the minority but I rarely ever notice product placement for what it is. When Stark wanted the burger, I thought he just wanted a whopper. I didn't think OMG WTF BK is ruining my f*cking movie! No....I thought, he wants a whopper and that was the end of it...

I dunno, I think some people just look for stuff to b*tch about and ruin things for themselves.

SonnyBoy said:
I guess I'm in the minority but I rarely ever notice product placement for what it is. When Stark at the burger, I thought he just wanted a whopper. I didn't think OMG WTF BK is ruining my f*cking movie! No....I thought, he wants a whopper and that was the end of it...

I dunno, I think some people just look for stuff to b*tch about and ruin things for themselves.

I hate coming to work with all the damn product placement in this office. So that's why I'm protesting by wasting time on GAF!

Evander said:
As was said, the comics didn't do that for him from the very begining, but I think that post-civil war it kind of makes sense that Stark would be in to divulging his identity.

I'm assuming that will be explained away in the sequel.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom