• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rottenwatch: Iron Man

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blader

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/iron_man/

2316141321_34b1e20917.jpg

Starring:
Robert Downey Jr.
Jeff Bridges
Terrence Howard
Shaun Toub
Gwyneth Paltrow
Samuel L. Jackson

Director: Jon Favreau
Run time: 126 minutes
US Release: May 1st (limited), May 2nd (wide)
PAL: April 30th

Reviews are starting to pour in, with the release date just a little less than a week away. Impressions are mostly positive, with the RT score currently at 80% though I expect that to drop into the 70s, maybe even the 60s, in the coming weeks. Consensus seems to be that it's a fun popcorn movie, but doesn't really push the genre forward like Nolan's Batman or Raimi's Spider-Man. Other generally shared remarks are that while the movie is somewhat limited in regards to action, the cast makes up for it, especially Downey Jr. who really carries the film with his performance as Tony Stark.

Some comments from the reviews out so far:

[An] expansively entertaining special effects extravaganza.

In place is a talented cast, an interesting director, an established lead character, and a wealth of plots from the comics ready to be mined for future storylines. Despite Iron Man's problems, it will definitely leave you wanting more.

Light on both CGI and moral quandaries, [it posesses] neither the zip and sparkle of a Spider-Man nor the brooding existential subtexts of Batman Begins.

It’s not sure where to go once the final Iron Man suit is constructed, and seems in a rush to get there, but Downey Jr and the supporting cast are so perfectly placed we're already looking forward to the bound-to-be-better sequel.

Audiences looking for grand escapist fare at cinemas this summer won't mind having spent their price of admission on it. Be sure to get some popcorn too.

Make sure to stay after the credits for a special cameo appearance and a set-up for a possible future film...and I'm not talking about Iron Man 2.

Phobophile

A scientist and gentleman in the manner of Batman.
Holy shit at the spoiler cast member!

My interest went from really want to see to MUST SEE.

X26

Banned
After watching the trailers I've got to ask, is Iron Man himself supposed to be that lame? Haven't read the comics or watched the cartoon, but downey comes across as really, really lame...is he supposed to?

I'll be there for the action regardless, looks great on that front

X26 said:
After watching the trailers I've got to ask, is Iron Man himself supposed to be that lame? Haven't read the comics or watched the cartoon, but downey comes across as really, really lame...is he supposed to?

I'll be there for the action regardless, looks great on that front

Hes a womanizing, drunk whos insanely brilliant when it comes to technology.

I don't really understand why they tend to put extras after the credits. Who the heck is going to stay in a theater for a long ass time after the movie ends? Kinda pointless

Anasui Kishibe said:
I don't really understand why they tend to put extras after the credits. Who the heck is going to stay in a theater for a long ass time after the movie ends? Kinda pointless

only the internet nerds

Blader

Anasui Kishibe said:

It's not really relevant to the plot of the film, it's just a fun little set-up for the future.

N

NinjaFridge

Unconfirmed Member
Teh Hamburglar said:
Hes a womanizing, drunk whos insanely brilliant when it comes to technology.

He could almost be a GAF member. Its the womanizing and the technological brilliance that would stop him. Now, to the weekend drinking thread.

ManaByte

Until there's confirmation that the spoiler was not cut out of the final theatrical movie, it shouldn't be in the OP.

Blader

ManaByte said:
Until there's confirmation that the spoiler was not cut out of the final theatrical movie, it shouldn't be in the OP.

It was not cut from the film, it was just cut for the early screenings (similar to how the Joker card at the end of Batman Begins was removed for the pre-release viewings).

Anasui Kishibe said:

I always stay after the credits, 1) so I don't have to deal with retards trying to race out of the theatre and 2) so I rub one out in an empty theatre.

ZeoVGM

Banned
some retard said:
looks like a load of shit, more pro war propaganda supporting the US's crusade against the rest of the world

Someone actually left that comment on the only negative review of the movie up so far.

MisterHero

Blader5489 said:
Make sure to stay after the credits for a special cameo appearance and a set-up for a possible future film...and I'm not talking about Iron Man 2.
I heard that
General Ross from Hulk
is appearing in IM and
Tony Stark shows up in Hulk

That'd be nice to see a crossover film, especially because the companies are sooner to screw that up by giving the individual character rights to different studios. I'd wish it was Superman/Batman or Spider-Man and the Fantastic Four/X-Men though. :p

Now that Marvel has their own production house they can retain the rights to their characters. But for Spider-Man, X-Men, Daredevil, Elektra, FF, Punisher, Blade...they'r elocked up for awhile.

Zeed

Banned
Blader5489 said:
Tell us what it is already.

karasu

Triumph said:
You're right, let's all go see Speed Racer instead. That looks like pure quality.

When did I ever say anything that would suggest this? Iron Man doesn't look much better anyway. If at all. Swinger was alright, but I don't get this Robert Downey Jr bandwagon. So he has substance abuse problems, and Tony Stark ha substance abuse problems. w00pty d00pty!

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
no, it looks a thousand times better than speed racer. also, robert downey junior had substance abuse problems, but that has nothing to do with the fact that he's one of the best actors working. swingers is a great little cult flick.

i disagree with almost every post that you make.

karasu

Come on. Robert Downey Jr is clearly not one of the best actors working.

beelzebozo said:
i disagree with almost every post that you make.

Yeah? I don't even know who you are.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom