• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rottenwatch: Iron Man

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tobor

joedan said:
What I don't understand is
when he goes out and take out the terrorists and the weapons and the US military notices it, why do they decide to shoot it down?.

Because "it" refused to identify itself. You fly into a US no fly zone under radio silence, you're a target.

clav

Holy shit! I invited my reluctant friends to go see this with me and it was a fucking blast. Best Marvel movie yet.

My favorite parts:

Tony Stark escapes from his kidnappers. I was laughing the entire time. The scene really built up the anticipation and much needed anger relief towards the terrorists.

Iron Man goes to town with the terrorists. Throws a guy up the two story. Owns five terrorists at once. Grabs a guy through the wall. Pwns a tank.

Since I didn't know anything about Iron Man before, I really enjoyed the movie.

man, i thought it was a great movie (though it doesn't touch batman begins), but a piece of advice:

if you have an irregular heartbeat and it's acting up the night you decide to go see this movie

don't go

holy hell that was excruciating

Sciz

Just saw it tonight, with a friend who isn't at all into comics and hasn't been fond of previous Marvel movies.

We both loved it.

Nick

It was good-to-great. The first half kicked ass. The second half, not so much. It dragged, Jeff Bridges did an unconvincing performance, and the dialogue was... eh. But the special effects were amazing. Downey Jr. did awesome overall.

AkuMifune

Banned
Lobster said:
My friends are losers..

They hated it because they thought it had little fight scenes and too much story..

I guess when you analyze it, there are few significant action scenes (3?), but when you're watching the movie you hardly care, it's so good.

Yeah, you're friends suck. Kill them, get new ones. :D

AmMortal

Banned
About to watch it this weekend, is this movie really that good?

http://www.superherohype.com/news/topnews.php?id=7193

Iron Man Reaches $342 Million Worldwide!
Source: Variety
May 12, 2008

Iron Man dominated the international box office this weekend, adding $39 million from 7,500 theaters in its second weekend, while What Happens in Vegas earned $23 million from 3,902 locations and Speed Racer made just $12.8 million from 3,940 theaters overseas.

Following its $98 million debut, Iron Man posted the second-largest weekend gross of 2008 despite a 60% decline. Iron Man saw its foreign total hit $165 million in 12 days, lifting the worldwide total to $342 million so far.

I guess i'll be watching it:lol

JaCy

I finally saw it last night and I liked it, more then I thought I would. Robert did a great job, probably one of the few very likable characters in all the comic book based movies I've seen.

May have been posted already but here goes:

Its been suggested that you can see Captain America's prototype shield on Tony's workbench. Also, the super soldier serum will be shown in The Incredible Hulk.

vlcsnap-58361.jpg

YYZ

I enjoyed this movie a lot, but the final "boss fight" was unintentionally funny (lame). Maybe it was Jeff Bridges or giant robot villain just seems stupid to me.

Teh Hamburglar said:
May have been posted already but here goes:

Its been suggested that you can see Captain America's prototype shield on Tony's workbench. Also, the super soldier serum will be shown in The Incredible Hulk.

http://io9.com/assets/resources/2008/05/vlcsnap-58361.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]
Just read a couple of links, and one site just pointed out that Stark's dad did build weapons during WWII...

Another pic:

[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v95/irapogi/ironman-cptamerica-shield.jpg

mamacint said:
Just read a couple of links, and one site just pointed out that Stark's dad did build weapons during WWII...

Another pic:

ironman-cptamerica-shield.jpg

thats a better pic. you can see the red/white circles more clearly. pretty cool

MisterHero said:
but but iron man is titanium alloy

caps shield is adamantium (or vibranium in the ultimate universe)

And that has what to do with what?
Do you have a 'magic zoom' button next to your 'make dumb posts in every comic movie related thread' button that shows the label showing what the shield is made of?

MisterHero

OokieSpookie said:
And that has what to do with what?
Do you have a 'magic zoom' button next to your 'make dumb posts in every comic movie related thread' button that shows the label showing what the shield is made of?
but why would iron man use titanium if he had adamantium?

and yes this is serious bisniz

MisterHero said:
but why would iron man use titanium if he had adamantium?

and yes this is serious bisniz

I would assume that it would have to do with the process needed for cutting adamantium and most likely a rarity issue.
I do not think the will use adamantium to be honest so as not to rub with the xmen and wolverine movies.

maybe adamantium is extremely rare and expensive. Or titanium is light enough to attain lift while adamantium would weigh too much (Wolverine is supposed to weigh ALOT for a guy his height)

It's been a while but if I recall correctly adamantium's useless for a body armor, not maleable enough I think, and Cap's shield is made from vibranium not adamantium and it's a very specific kind of alloy that hasn't been replicated yet.

mrmyth

Cap's shield has always been vibranium. Adamantium didn't even get invented until after they defrosted him and were trying to make another shield. Vibranium gets stronger the harder you hit it, as it absorbs all vibrations. Thor has cracked the shield before. It can be broken.

Adamantium is just indestructibe.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
I went to see this yesterday. I know little of the Iron Man franchise and have never read the comics, but I thought it was fucking incredible. Downey Jr really delivered a good performance and I love how the movie took its time to build up. Comic relief also worked this time around, some funny moments.

Awesome. I actually wouldn't mind seeing it again right now after browsing the other thread and seeing the gifs.

Awesome movie. Was a little disappointed with the final fight but personally i didn't care cause the rest of the movie was very good. Hopefully the next one is just as good.

The Take Out Bandit said:
OMG

Do people really believe this shit is going to stick in the sequel?

You're either really unfamiliar with funnybooks or soft in the head.

I don't think it matters if it sticks or not. Him announcing it still breaks from the usual tradition, at least in film anyway. But then again, the way Marvel guys seem to always run around without their masks or helmets on seems to be a bit of a new trend.

The Take Out Bandit said:
OMG

Do people really believe this shit is going to stick in the sequel?

You're either really unfamiliar with funnybooks or soft in the head.

Or maybe Iron Man was the first comic book movie in fucking decades where the main character actually had some balls. The poster you were harping on here was happy that Tony Stark didn't follow the typical cliche in this movie. In THIS movie. What happens in the sequel happens in the sequel.

And if they decide to play up the "Is He, Isn't He?" angle in Iron Man 2, it'll be
Tony's Alcoholism because of what Stane pulled. Rhodes steps in as Iron Man. By the end of the film, Stark assumes the Iron Man mantle again, and Rhodes becomes War Machine
. The press will still be able to say He Is, He Isn't because that'll be entirely true. In a sense, Stark is. In a sense, he isn't.

rezuth

I just gotta say this, best adaption of a comic to movie and also the best comic based movie ever. It just totally blow me away, I went in with 0% expectations and just ended up having some of the best time I have ever had at the cinema.

PhlegmMaster said:
I went to see it yesterday. It wasn't bad, just bland and uninspired.

...and this post almost makes me bleive you HAVENT seen the movie.

Bland? Hardly
Uninsipred? Downey OWNED the movie with a character you actually end up caring about.... IN A COMIC BOOK MOVIE!

Guileless

Temp Banned for Remedial Purposes
A year ago, what odds would Vegas have had on an Iron Man movie exceeding 90% on RT? 20 to 1? 50 to 1? 100 to 1? Seriously I don't know if even 100 to 1 would have encouraged betting.

Just watched the movie earlier, and I have to say I really enjoyed it. Tony Stark was actually surprisingly funny and likable.

I normally hate superhero movies, but this one was incredibly fun to watch. I'll definitely buy it on Blu-ray when it comes out.

farnham

Banned
the reason i always loved Iron Man

You think of him as a minor Marvel Hero

but if you digg in him he is actually more bad ass then Batman (Stark pwns Bruce) and a more subtile character then Spiderman

Asbel

farnham said:
the reason i always loved Iron Man

You think of him as a minor Marvel Hero

but if you digg in him he is actually more bad ass then Batman (Stark pwns Bruce) and a more subtile character then Spiderman
Well the last time Iron Man was getting major (season 2 of his cartoon was great and he had his own mini-universe with the addition of the War Machine and Force Works books), Marvel screwed him over with The Crossing crossover by making him evil, killing him and replacing him with a teenage version. WTF. So I'm fine with Iron Man being a minor hero if Marvel didn't throw him in anymore stupid crossovers. That said, I am enjoying his current role since it's still Tony Stark being Tony Stark. It's just that now the rest of the Marvel universe has to deal with him instead of only the Avengers. :lol

Jacobi

Banned
mamacint said:

Another pic:

ironman-cptamerica-shield.jpg
So Stark's dad might appear in Captain America The Movie :O

Iron Man was awesome btw, definitely best Marvel movie

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom