• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rottenwatch: Iron Man

Status
Not open for further replies.
The movie inspired me to look back on my old small collection of comics and see what I first pulled out that had Iron Man. It was The Infinity Crusade "Holier than Thou" from 1993. Always sorta liked Iron Man back when, though I have not kept up and probably won't choose to now. Keep the movies--good movies--coming though, Marvel.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
jett said:
I just saw this movie.

Man some of you must be on something. I knew the tomatometer was too high, and after checking metacritic, which has a 78% score for Iron Man, it's clear what happened: most critics have been giving the movie a passable 3 stars, which bodes well for RT's YAY or NAY style. Which is what this film is. Entertaining the whole way through, but nothing spectacular.

I agree. I'm surprised at the reaction to this movie. Its good but not great

HK-47 said:
I agree. I'm surprised at the reaction to this movie. Its good but not great

I guess the question is what Superhero movies would you put ahead of it?

As I stated earlier, the only one I would consider is Batman Begins, mostly because of the mood the movie creates. Although, I personally like Iron Man better. It managed to walk the line between sleekness, humor, quality acting, and visuals. They could have had a better villain, but that's going to be a problem with most movies that don't have a great rogue's gallery ala Spider-Man and Batman.

I'd put it well ahead of the X-Men / Spider-Man / Superman movies. And those are pretty far ahead of most of the other Superhero movies out there.

WrikaWrek

Banned
Cheebs said:
It wont revert back as long as they keep making movies. Its a timed contract. They have Wolverine in 2009 and Magneto likely in 2010 or 2011. They are also considering spin-off's for Deadpool and Gambit who appear in Wolverine.

Timed contract. Who was the brains on that deal? Nice going Marvel.

mrmyth said:
You lost me at Bryce. I'd eat off that girl's asscheeks, but she's no Gwen Stacy.

SLJ may be Ultimates Nick, but oldschool Nick has always been young Clint Eastwood. Same for Wolverine. Jackman owned the role onced he played it, but no one looked at his casting liked we looked at RDJ as Tony Stark.

I;d say from your list only Stewart, RDJ, Evans, and Reynolds fit before seeing a single scene. Perlman owned the role once he played it, and changed the character and got away with it.

JK Simmons was last seen as a white supremacist in OZ. No one thought he was Jonah, but now we do.

And Eric Bana will never be Bruce Banner. There isn't an actor that we know of that fits Bruce. Ed Norton isn't it either.

Let's not forget, in the eighties/nineties, Timothy Dalton was the Tony Stark of choice.

I agree with pretty much everything you're saying. It's true that, say, before Perlman was Hellboy, I wouldn't have looked at him and said, "He IS Hellboy." But now that I've seen it, there is NOBODY else in my mind that would fit the character better. Same goes for everything else you said. I don't think there is an actor out there who you could point to and say, "That's Bruce Banner." But that's why I put him on Honorable Mentions. They aren't THAT character, but they did well in the part.

IronicallyTwisted said:
I love how you list those movies like you think they are a credit to his acting ability. The movies he has starred in are terrible, and I don't think Deadpool stands a chance of being decent without a decent actor for the role.
I listed those movies because I also say, in both posts, that I find his style of comedy to be funny, and those three movies, to me, are hilarious. We're never going to see eye to eye on this because you simply don't like Ryan Reynolds, but as far as Marvel goes, they and I think he's perfect for Deadpool.

However, I have an open mind. What comedic actor do you look at and say, "That guy? He'd be PERFECT to play Wade Wilson in a Deadpool movie!"

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
I think it's hard for people that are into the comic scene to separate the A-list from the B (and C) list, sometimes. They're just too close to the space, and can't see things the way the "general population" sees things. No matter how important he's been in the Marvel universe, even for years and years, that doesn't really mean much.

Let me tell you - as someone that's very much a nerd (huge into videogames, anime, etc etc), but never got into comic books for whatever reason, Iron Man very much is a B-list character. Or, was. Before this movie.

I've never read a comic book IN MY LIFE, but you still pick-up comic knowledge as a geek. Even before the movies, I knew Wolverine's superpower. I knew Spider-Man's origin story. I knew about the death/rebirth of Superman. You just pick this stuff up, even if you don't read comics.

But I literally knew NOTHING about Iron Man. I didn't know his real name, who his villains were, the origin of his suit, nothing. He was B-list, before this flick. No question about it. I'm not even positive I could have picked Iron Man out of a line-up prior to the marketing of the movie.

Saw it last night... best superhero movie out of the whole lot. The humor was great, as we as the action. Also, the characters were pretty spot on. This better turn into a franchise!

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
sonycowboy said:
I guess the question is what Superhero movies would you put ahead of it?

As I stated earlier, the only one I would consider is Batman Begins, mostly because of the mood the movie creates. Although, I personally like Iron Man better. It managed to walk the line between sleekness, humor, quality acting, and visuals. They could have had a better villain, but that's going to be a problem with most movies that don't have a great rogue's gallery ala Spider-Man and Batman.

I'd put it well ahead of the X-Men / Spider-Man / Superman movies. And those are pretty far ahead of most of the other Superhero movies out there.

I'm just looking at it as a movie, nothing more. I'd say BB as a movie was better with much more complex characters and better villians. And I'd take X2 over it cause I'm a X-Men fan. And I'd take Sin City and V For Vendetta if you wanna include graphic novels. As a comic movie it might be great but as a movie on the whole it was just alright.

I couldn't care less if Iron Man is an F list character, that movie kicked serious ass.

I was thoroughly entertained. What more could I ask for?

Something about Batman Begins really didn't click with me. I remember really liking the first half, but I thought it really bogged down towards the end. I also think that the Iron Man character is a more likable character. I'd like to drink and party with the guy. Batman is just an emo bitch.

artist

Banned
Absinthe said:
Something about Batman Begins really didn't click with me. I remember really liking the first half, but I thought it really bogged down towards the end. I also think that the Iron Man character is a more likable character. I'd like to drink and party with the guy. Batman is just an emo bitch.
I would want to know what you think of Spider-man. :D Also Tony was also all emo when he gets captured to when he returns back. His transition from emo to chauvinistic dude looked like an on/off switch.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Absinthe said:

Well Tony Stark is the drink and party guy...thats a big chunk of his character. Bruce Wayne is like Tony, and Batman is the exact opposite of Bruce and thus Tony.

Mifune

Mehmber
What a fun movie. Perfect kickoff to the summer.

Robert Downey Jr. showed just how wooden and unlikable most superheroes are. It's a really grounded performance. Jeff Bridges was also great.

It all devolves into two armored gladiators throwing everything at each other, but it works because we know and care about both of the men behind the masks.

Definitely a top tier comic book movie. I would maybe place X2 and Batman Begins above it, but that's it. I hope it makes a gazillion dollars.

HK-47 said:
I'm just looking at it as a movie, nothing more. I'd say BB as a movie was better with much more complex characters and better villians. And I'd take X2 over it cause I'm a X-Men fan. And I'd take Sin City and V For Vendetta if you wanna include graphic novels. As a comic movie it might be great but as a movie on the whole it was just alright.

To ignore the genre is a cop out.

The superhero movies have to serve multiple masters. They need to be family friendly, lots of action, have some level of fan service, have the origin take a decent chunk of the first movie, and leave themselves open for sequels.

And, while I really enjoyed Sin City, it was incredibly uneven and there wasn't a great performance in there. It was dark and gritty, and had a unique visual flair and that was about it. I do like V for Vendetta as well, but I'm also quite partial to Natalie. They're also not superhero films as opposed the entire genre of comic book adaptations.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
sonycowboy said:
To ignore the genre is a cop out.

The superhero movies have to serve multiple masters. They need to be family friendly, lots of action, have some level of fan service, have the origin take a decent chunk of the first movie, and leave themselves open for sequels.

And, while I really enjoyed Sin City, it was incredibly uneven and there wasn't a great performance in there. It was dark and gritty, and had a unique visual flair and that was about it. I do like V for Vendetta as well, but I'm also quite partial to Natalie. They're also not superhero films as opposed the entire genre of comic book adaptations.

Thats why I said as a comic movie. I like Sin City for its visual imagery, which I find incredibly appealing and unique. And I didnt ignore the genre either. I merely thought is was an alright movie. It didnt grab me, superhero movie or otherwise.

I saw the movie Saturday afternoon and feel like talking about it now.

As an Iron Man fan and reader since 1988, I really enjoyed this movie. Robert Downey Jr. did an excellent job though Tony Stark is a playboy he has always been slightly more serious and responsible. He drinks out of depression in the classic universe and not just to party but those are nitpicks.

The movie was really good and it is really important to me when a director/writers understand the very established chartacters of comic lore and the film is not a total re- imagining or vision. I don't watch those films - i.e. Spiderman 3.

Overall I am looking forward to future Iron Man movies as this was one that was done right.

SonnyBoy

IMHO Iron Man is ahead of all the superhero flicks except Batman Begins. I believe that it is on par with BB or slightly below it.

EktorPR

HK-47 said:
I'm just looking at it as a movie, nothing more. I'd say BB as a movie was better with much more complex characters and better villians. And I'd take X2 over it cause I'm a X-Men fan. As a comic movie it might be great but as a movie on the whole it was just alright.

This man is telling it like it is. Iron Man was entertaining, and it was a good movie. Not better than Nolan's Batman Begins, not better than Singer's X2 and not better than Raimi's Spider-Man 2. Just good.

No superhero training/preparation sequence has been as comprehensive and as well done as Begins'. That's my standard for superhero origin films.

The movie was good, but there seriously needed to be more ass kicking. I let out a "daaaammmmmn" when he successfully neutralized that hostage situation. But those scenes were all I got. Afterwords more character and plot development only to be topped off with him getting whooped and then desperate. Im not suggesting the inbetween wasnt worth it. It was good for the movie. But one of the main reasons I go to see a movie like this is fight scenes.

edit: there was a cameo after the credits? Who?

Speevy

Banned
How old does Samuel L. Jackson plan to be when he stops making action movies?

Also, really enjoyed the film. Although I was disappointed with Gwyneth Paltrow's acting.

WrikaWrek

Banned
Speevy said:

Also, really enjoyed the film. Although I was disappointed with Gwyneth Paltrow's acting.

Age doesn't matter when you are cool like Samuel.

Saw it on the weekend and absolutely loved it. I had pretty much no expectations of this movie and had no knowledge of the Iron Man comics. It is definitely up there with Batman Begins as my favourite superhero movie. Actually, nothing else compares to these 2 imo, especially any of the mediocre Spiderman films.

LOVED the ending. A nice surprise to me - a refreshing shake up of comic movie conventions, especially for a first film in a franchise.

Paltrow played the airhead well.

Pretty cool movie. I didnt pick up on who that cop was until the end. And Im on the internet 10 hours a day. Shame on me.

Damn, this was two hours. TDK will be a breeze.

Speevy said:

I think Paltrow was going for her Polly Perkins role, which didn't work as well for the tone they were going for. It was great in Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow, though. Hopefully she plays it just a bit more seriously in the sequel.

harSon

Banned
Speevy said:

He can still pull it off judging by his scenes in Jumper

karasu

I can't imagine how a Magneto movie could ever work.

Absinthe said:

:lol

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Just saw it today

Pretty good flick considering I didn't know much about Iron Man.

Downey really sold it.

Paltrow on the phone can't act.

Fight scenes were ok...I don't expect martial arts or anything, but just wanted something flashier without resorting to explosions.

Kuro Madoushi said:
Just saw it today

Pretty good flick considering I didn't know much about Iron Man.

Downey really sold it.

Paltrow on the phone can't act.

Fight scenes were ok...I don't expect martial arts or anything, but just wanted something flashier without resorting to explosions.

I disagree.
One of the nice things that they did right in Iron Man is give the armor real weight.
The last thing I want to see is some wire fu matrix crap which has become way too cliche.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Kickass movie.

Downey is an excellent actor. He knows (knew? heh) how to party hard and he let out that aspect of himself very nicely when portraying Stark.

Paltrow was very cute/hot looking and her chemistry with Downey was great.

I wish there was more origin stuff (It probably would bog down the movie for most, but I think I would like it), and more testing out the suit's capabilities/blowing shit up.

Stark building the first suit in the cave was awesome.

Blu-Ray purchase +1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom