• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Returnal Is A “Mega-Hit” In Sony’s Eyes

kingfey

Banned
There's no indication that the numbers could be significantly higher. I'm confident in my estimation :messenger_beaming:
"Despite some glitches, bugs, and a troubled patch, Housemarque's Returnal is one of PlayStation's most downloaded games in April 2021."

The charts for April 2021 make for good reading as far as Housemarque's Returnal is concerned too, which after just one day of availability across the month, took third place in the USA and Canada as well as fourth spot across Europe.

Digital download is way higher.

Last edited:
The problem with that is that GoW did much, much better in the sales charts everywhere else for a long time, while Returnal is nowhere to be seen.

Neither is It Takes Two, but it's still hit 2 million sold

Wonder how it managed that?

But I digress, stick with your guesses. And stop calling them estimations. That implies you put some thought into your numbers

Last edited:

kingfey

Banned
The problem with that is that GoW did much, much better in the sales charts everywhere else for a long time, while Returnal is nowhere to be seen.
Total PS4 sales have reached 73.6 million units and 5.9 million consoles were sold during the 2017 holiday season, Sony has announced. These sales numbers imply that 20.2 million PS4 units were sold through to costumers in 2017 (cumulative PS4 sales reached 54.3 million units last year).Jan 9, 2018

God of War was released worldwide on April 20, 2018, for the PlayStation 4. Many years after the events of God of War III, Kratos has ended up in the world of Norse mythology in ancient Norway, in the realm of Midgard, and has a son named Atreus.

Sony has now sold 9 million PlayStation 5 consoles – that's several million more than Microsoft's Xbox Series X/S. According to a report from VGChartz, the PS5 has sold an estimated 9 million units since its official launch on November 12, 2020.Jun 21, 2021

When is the Returnal release date and time? Returnal will be released at 12 a.m. Eastern on April 30, 2021. It's a pretty straightforward launch time right as the date of release begins, so if you pre-load the game you'll be able to start playing at midnight right when it launches.Apr 28, 2021

God of war had much strong system, and it was a long running series. Returnal was a new series, for a new system.

Nowhere to be seen if you ignore psn charts and npd.
We have no reference numbers on PSN charts so it's hard to tell how many copies games there actually sell. The one reference we have (Japan) looks bad so idk.

With NPD, it charted at #8 in April and May and then disappeared entirely from the charts. In June it wasn't even in the top 10 Playstation games.

If you want to see a "mega hit", look at Miles. That game has legs and the charts prove it.

SLB1904

Banned
We have no reference numbers on PSN charts so it's hard to tell how many copies games there actually sell. The one reference we have (Japan) looks bad so idk.

With NPD, it charted at #8 in April and May and then disappeared entirely from the charts. In June it wasn't even in the top 10 Playstation games.

If you want to see a "mega hit", look at Miles. That game has legs and the charts prove it.
Dude psn is the biggest game store in the world dumbass

kingfey

Banned

I have a question for you. When was the last time all 3 systems, actually released the digital sales data for their system? All we got so far, are top 10.

Japan one was just physical, and physical sales are dying. We are in digital age now.

Unknown?

You know when someone 8s desperate when they use sales of a western game in Japan as a evidence of anything
If tgat was the case 100% of the Microsoft games bombed. I guess you didn't thought that through right?

And he keeps digging lol
Boom! Roasted. Bernd Lauert Bernd Lauert
6j72.gif

Dr Bass

Maybe that's a "super-mega hit." :rolleyes:

Why are you trying so hard to disprove this? What is the need here?

Let's do a little, very simple, deductive reasoning:

-Making profit on video games is very important to Sony.

-They do not buy up a lot of studios historically, making carefully selected, strategic choices.

-They decided to literally go all in and buy Housemarque after Returnal had released.

-It charted well for three months, and Sony has now called it a "mega-hit."

Your conclusion from this is that Returnal did not sell well.

Let's wrap this up and go home folks, Mr. Bernd Lauert has it all figured out and knows better when it comes to Housemarque's sales numbers than their new owners. I'm glad you were here to straighten that out for us.

Last edited:
Maybe that's a "super-mega hit." :rolleyes:

Why are you trying so hard to disprove this? What is the need here?
I'm not trying to disprove anything, what I'm saying is there's no proof that Returnal is a mega-hit unless we make some really weird assumptions (like production costs being super low).
Let's do a little, very simple, deductive reasoning:

-Making profit on video games is very important to Sony.

-They do not buy up a lot of studios historically, making carefully selected, strategic choices.

-They decided to literally go all in and buy Housemarque after Returnal had released.

-It charted well for three months, and Sony has now called it a "mega-hit."

Your conclusion from this is that Returnal did not sell well.
No, I don't conclude sales from acquisitions and PR. I conclude them from sales charts. I know, mind blown.

Dr Bass

I'm not trying to disprove anything, what I'm saying is there's no proof that Returnal is a mega-hit unless we make some really weird assumptions (like production costs being super low).

No, I don't conclude sales from acquisitions and PR. I conclude them from sales charts. I know, mind blown.
Not a single actual retort to what I stated.

You are trying to disprove what Sony is saying, and the only person making assumptions here seems to be you because you are denying everything written to make your argument.

Again, any response to the idea that Sony would go through with a purchase of a studio that makes money losing games? It makes no sense, and you are asserting that Sony is essentially "lying" and throwing good money towards bad. Are they known to do any of these things in general? It just doesn't jive with how they operate whatsoever.

But again, you know better even though you have access to zero data. I think anyone can debate the meaning of "mega hit" here, but I think it's pretty obvious the game was successful.

The irony in this sentence is off the charts lmfao(no pun intended)

An xbox fanboy talking about measuring success not from pr and acquisitions but from sales charts.

Who wants to bed that the next xbox game he will conclude sales by pr.
$100 bet anyone?

Eh, I didn't realize that's what was going on here. Man I don't get that kind of singular mentality.

Last edited:

An xbox fanboy talking about measuring success not from pr and acquisitions but from sales charts.

$100 bet anyone?
Bet a Game Pass sub, that may pique his interest 🤣 would also be easier for him to call your bet, must have plenty of those $1 subs lying around lol

Last edited:

Crocwrangler

Neo Member
The success of the game makes me think of the one of Until Dawn. I guess that at first Sony wasn't expecting to sell a lot but in the end, it won the appraisal of a bunch of people and overperformed.

tommib

Returnal has sold 2 million copies. That number comes from the science of my heart. If people are having trouble dealing with that number, they should take a look at their hate and be a better person.

Three

Gold Member
You conclude them from A sales chart (Japan) while discrediting NPD as dollar charts and PSN charts as possibly unknow low figures overall while simultaneously in UK threads suggesting physical don't matter anymore. It's bizarre. Well, not really when you consider why you're doing it.

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Then what the fuck was Days Gone?
Very average and buggy game with repetitive gameplay, directed sneaking missions and bad story?
It is a game I love to describe as - more than sum of its parts... Because every part of the game is bad but the final product was still somehow quite memorable and I kinda liked it not sure why.

Well i wanna see the EU numbers with its 80 euro price tag. honestly feel like this game barely sold. But then again not sure if the game costed them much to make either. So could be a big win for them.

I see you ignored April, May and June US/Canada/Europe PS Store download charts.

Only Sony knows the answer to that unfortunately.

Hard numbers yeah. But game is still charting on PS Store after 3 months.

Dunno who they're trying to fool. Every indication is that sales were poor.

Yeah, it is. If you ignore ALL the charts.

What's funny exactly? Internet forum chatter does not a sales phenom make. If Returnal is the megahit Sony have proclaimed it to be, show me some sales figures that bolster that claim. The game has been out since April 30th and is already 25% discounted while it also fell off sales charts real quick. Make of that what you will.

How 2 months in a row on NPD chart is a "fell off real quick"?

Megahit means it vastly exceeded sales expectations. We obviously don't know what Sony expected, but Returnal sales have been lukewarm at best.

Only Sony knows for sure, but we have sales charts that let us approximate how well a game sold.

Some numbers would be nice :messenger_beaming: Because sales charts don't show Returnal being even close to a megahit. If Sony PR is enough for you, fine. I'ma stay doubting.

No. It only did well for two months on the Playstation Store, but we don't know how many games are sold there. It was #1 on the Japan Playstation Store, but only sold around 2000 copies. So the #1 doesn't mean much tbh.

Nobody knows since outside of Japan, we don't have any real numbers. In Japan it has roughly a 3% attach rate (generous estimate). Worldwide this would mean around 300k copies sold. I think that's a decent estimate but who knows.

Feel free to offer your own estimate. I'm going off existing numbers.

Returnal sold only half of the physical copies available on release week in Japan. Sony actually overestimated the demand for it.

Equalizing Japan sales as worldwide sales ( and ignoring all others ) just proves that you can have 10 PS5s and just 1 Xbox, you still can be a delusional Xbox fan by a country mile.

Klayzer

I see you ignored April, May and June US/Canada/Europe PS Store download charts.

Equalizing Japan sales as worldwide sales ( and ignoring all others ) just proves that you can have 10 PS5s and just 1 Xbox, you still can be a delusional Xbox fan by a country mile.
A virtual degree in concerned trolling quotes, mixed with inescapable asshurt what ifs and we don't know applications.

skit_data

Then what the fuck was Days Gone?
Good point, but when talking about Days Gone one must remember how long it was in development. It must’ve cost a ton of money to support the studio for that development time, and I think Bend overshot both their scope and budget by a mile. That’s probably the main reason behind Sonys decisions regarding a sequel.

demonstr8

Last of us 2 specifically. Gameplay is fantastic, horror inducing, creepy atmosphere.

But once cinematic starts, the entire atmosphere gets thrown to the garbage bin. All the tension I had with Abby on the snow, on the creepy house, the busses is gone, once ellie and her friend is chilling out nicely.

I have no problem with switching out between 2 characters. But when put 2 much cinematic between them, the game losses its atmosphere.

If you aren't a movie lover, you will get bored from it, to the point of quiting the game and not thinking back about it.
Sometimes I thought I was the only one on the planet who could praise TloU2's gameplay whilst insulting the other parts of it. So many people simply call the game shit when it excels in many other areas that aren't story and characters. The first main area where you explore the city on horseback was fantastic.

nowhat

It’s impressive to me that it’s low budget. It doesn’t look low budget at all.
Up until at least somewhat recently, Housemarque was a studio of about 80 people. Not completely indie level, but far from a major studio as well. So I guess that's reflected in the budget.

$100 bet anyone?
I get it, you want to desperately pivot to talking about Xbox because you're a lazy console warrior. No thanks :messenger_beaming:

Goalus

Yes, and the NPD charts of the recent months are a proof of that. I think the game managed to stay in the top 20 for two consecutive months before falling off the radar, which is not an easy feat.

Goalus

You know when someone 8s desperate when they use sales of a western game in Japan as a evidence of anything
If tgat was the case 100% of the Microsoft games bombed. I guess you didn't thought that through right?
Minecraft is one of the best-selling non-Nintendo games in Japan and a permanent guest in the weekly Famitsu charts.

Impressive alternative facts from the Sony camp, as always.

Last edited:

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
You conclude them from A sales chart (Japan) while discrediting NPD as dollar charts and PSN charts as possibly unknow low figures overall while simultaneously in UK threads suggesting physical don't matter anymore. It's bizarre. Well, not really when you consider why you're doing it.

There's a special type of ignorance on display by that poster. Its borderline sad actually...that one can have that much salt and hate for something like this.

For the months Returnal charted in the top 10, I guess all the games below it bombed too then. Even for PSN June where its 14th:

But some of these same ppl celebrated the hell out of Outriders position on the Xbox store ....and that games only lasted a week in the top spots....now its legit .....nowhere to be seen....

I knew I should have took a screen shot of its spot before and after it disappeared from the top 10...

To sit here and dismiss other charts and only go by one region is something, even for an Xbox fanboy.

Minecraft is one of the best-selling non-Nintendo games in Japan and a permanent guest in the weekly Famitsu charts.

Impressive alternative facts from the Sony camp, as always.
Naw, thats what the Xbox camp has a degree in.

Last edited:

Goalus

To sit here and dismiss other charts and only go by one region is something, even for an Xbox fanboy.
That's what the Playstation camp has a degree in, maybe you'll notice it the next time boxed UK sales are used as a means to challenge the claim that Game Pass benefits full game sales.

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force

You're comparing Returnal sales to the likes Spider-Man and other triple A titles. That's really the biggest flaw in your argument.

Guilty Gear sold 500k copies in one month and this game is considered a success in the eyes of ASW. The budget between these two titles are probably similar and yet only one can be considered a success? lol

Top Bottom