• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Returnal Is A “Mega-Hit” In Sony’s Eyes

Marty-McFly

Banned
No hard sales numbers from Sony usually means lukewarm sales. I remember they were even trying to tout PSVR sales at one point. Of course, this could change in the future as this will have the benefit of being a launch year game.

Nintendo is one of the only companies I know that will call out their own products as sales disappointments. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Unknown?

No hard sales numbers from Sony usually means lukewarm sales. I remember they were even trying to tout PSVR sales at one point. Of course, this could change in the future as this will have the benefit of being a launch year game.

Nintendo is one of the only companies I know that will call out their own products as sales disappointments. :messenger_tears_of_joy:
But they gave PSVR numbers and as far as VR goes it was well ahead of anyone for most of the time so that makes it an outstanding success in the VR arena.

Marty-McFly

Banned
But they gave PSVR numbers and as far as VR goes it was well ahead of anyone for most of the time so that makes it an outstanding success in the VR arena.
I mean, 5 million or so is good compared to other VR competitors, but my personal view is they were leveraging the PS brand hoping to bring it to the mainstream and penetrate at least 20 million or so buyers putting up Kinect type peripheral numbers--- especially considering the early software support Sony gave it dipped off in short order. Studio's were even closed. I don't think they would have bothered with it if they didn't think they could turn into more of money maker.

Last edited:

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives

Death Stranding sold 5 million copies and yet Sony never told us that. It was Kojima Productions that told us that.

Being an exclusive and with an install base most of enthusiastic games which were early adopters to play exclusive PS5 games, it should sell near the top limit of consoles.
Why those games bought PS5 so early in it's cycle? To play last gen games?

you expect it to have an almost 100% attach rate? its not GTA.

Jaysen

Banned
I managed through from the first try. Well, finished the game within 11 hours of release anyway. Citadel is the hardest level. Just run away when overwhelmed and be smart.
Yeah I think the people who consider the game to be hard stand and fire rather than use the environment to their advantage. Citadel was difficult for sure, but I thought 5 was the hardest since I had to kill multiple mini bosses at the end of each of the three wings to get the keys.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Yeah I think the people who consider the game to be hard stand and fire rather than use the environment to their advantage. Citadel was difficult for sure, but I thought 5 was the hardest since I had to kill multiple mini bosses at the end of each of the three wings to get the keys.

Yeah those keys were hard. But Citadel was pretty steep and those drones hit hard and fast. Had to cheat and use gates to isolate them and gain advantage in many places. :lollipop_tears_of_joy:

Jaysen

Banned
Yeah those keys were hard. But Citadel was pretty steep and those drones hit hard and fast. Had to cheat and use gates to isolate them and gain advantage in many places. :lollipop_tears_of_joy:
I did too_One of the patches nerfed them a little, but they’re still a bitch if you just stand around.

Calverz

From the numbers it’s obvious the game wasn’t a ‘mega hit’. The £70 price tag didn’t help. That being said, the game may have hit internal Sony targets for a game like that. We don’t know. Maybe it was a proof of concept that they can spend x number of millions for x return. I mean the game wasn’t exactly a traditional AAA title so to speak. And the game’s difficulty would always put casual gamers off.

Hezekiah

Banned
Yeah it’s a bummer MS don’t release numbers so we’ll never know.

One thing we do know for sure is that Returnal bombed. Thank you for the numbers Sony. Mega hit my azz.
Returnal went into full development at about January 2020 and with a team that peaked at 80 people. From this you can easily extrapolate a budget (using industry standards) of around $10-15M

It sold 560k copies in 2 months at $70. Digital split was likely over 50%(the previous quarter was 79% digital for all PS software.

The digital games are straight up $70 revenue for Sony. Physical around $45.

You can see the game very likely broke $30m in 2 months and registered a significant ROI and the PS5 will sell another 10-15x it’s current install base.

Unfortunately a dope like you is never going to get it, too busy pretending to enjoy Flight Simulator 😁.

so close!
The funny thing isn't that it wasn't a success (the game was) it's that he was so close and got laughing reactions from the standard crowd. Little did they know they'd have to come back and say they are happy with him being close.

That's the funny thing. There is nothing wrong with 500k. At all. For a AA game, new IP. That's awesome. But he got laughed at for guessing that.

Okay lets look at this using the US NPD. I'll use It Takes Two as an example

Charted at number 22 in March, then at number 9 in April

Returnal charted at number 8 in April, then number 7 in May

Even with that meh ranking, It Takes Two still managed to sell 1 million in less than a month, but Returnal, which ranked better couldn't even manage half of that in 3?

Don't be a looney Bernd
Like look at this response to his guess.

dtL6Jq9.gif
Goddamn, the egg on face is hilarious.

He tries to think through a prediction and gets harassed for pages of this thread only to turn out the most accurate by ALOT.

Thirty7ven

Banned
Sony wants critical hits, and they deserve a lot of praise for that.

It’s why Days Gone sold a lot but Sony didn’t give it the time of day.

Last edited:
Main Forza doesn't put up big numbers outside of bundles. This has been the case ever since Xbox One was released.

If Forza Motorsport was not a successful franchise, Microsoft would have killed it off a decade ago just like they did Project Gotham Racing. Instead, Microsoft has seen fit to make 7 mainline entries with an 8th on the way and even created a spin-off franchise from it (Forza Horizon) which is coming onto its 5th entry and has eclipsed the main series in both sales and popularity.

Last edited:

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
If Forza Motorsport was not a successful franchise, Microsoft would have killed it off a decade ago just like they did Project Gotham Racing. Instead, Microsoft has seen fit to make 7 mainline entries with an 8th on the way and even created a spin-off franchise from it (Forza Horizon) which is coming onto its 5th entry and has eclipsed the main series in both sales and popularity.

You clearly missed my point.

Read what I posted again.

Edit: This would be easier.

Forza Motorsports 5 was bundled day one with Xbox.

Based on your logic, Forza sold poorly.

Last edited:

kingfey

Banned
You clearly missed my point.

Read what I posted again.

Edit: This would be easier.

Forza Motorsports 5 was bundled day one with Xbox.

Based on your logic, Forza sold poorly.

How many console did xbox one sold at that time?

pratyush

560k is a great number for a new IP which isnt exactly easy to play.

I am waiting for a sale so that I can try it. It will easily be 2-3m over it's lifetime. Not bad for a roguelite game

kingfey

Banned
560k is a great number for a new IP which isnt exactly easy to play.

I am waiting for a sale so that I can try it. It will easily be 2-3m over it's lifetime. Not bad for a roguelite game
Its is. Selling that much for a new IP, on a genre which people have a hard time getting in to, is great. especially, when the console is 10m sold. It would have been bad, if the console was sitting at 50m. Then that would have been a bad sale.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
I'm no businessman and I don't know the machinations of the games industry, but even to me that figure is obviously very low for an exclusive on a new, white-hot console. And, while I enjoyed it for what it is, it's not surprising news.

Once word got out what the game was and what the mechanics were I saw a lot of people's interests deflate in real time. Many, many gaming news enthusiasts on social media went from hyping it up one day, to no longer discussing it at all the day after the $70 price tag and roguelike-without-saves mechanics were announced. Just poof - interest gone. So I held my tongue when Sony mentioned "Mega-hit" or whatever because, well, anyone with eyes could see this wasn't even going to even be a million-unit seller for some time - possibly for a year or two.

They could move units like crazy with a few simple moves though: add a save mechanic and make a huge deal out of it so that everyone who already wrote it off will be intrigued, and reduce that price to something befitting a short-ish roguelike.

JaksGhost

I'm no businessman and I don't know the machinations of the games industry, but even to me that figure is obviously very low for an exclusive on a new, white-hot console. And, while I enjoyed it for what it is, it's not surprising news.

Once word got out what the game was and what the mechanics were I saw a lot of people's interests deflate in real time. Many, many gaming news enthusiasts on social media went from hyping it up one day, to no longer discussing it at all the day after the $70 price tag and roguelike-without-saves mechanics were announced. Just poof - interest gone. So I held my tongue when Sony mentioned "Mega-hit" or whatever because, well, anyone with eyes could see this wasn't even going to even be a million-unit seller for some time - possibly for a year or two.

They could move units like crazy with a few simple moves though: add a save mechanic and make a huge deal out of it so that everyone who already wrote it off will be intrigued, and reduce that price to something befitting a short-ish roguelike.
The price tag was released last year and the no-save mechanic news came out about a month before the game's release. You took two different timelines and conflated them to create a faux outrage scenario. Hilarious.

Last edited:

MOTM

Banned
Returnal went into full development at about January 2020 and with a team that peaked at 80 people. From this you can easily extrapolate a budget (using industry standards) of around $10-15M

It sold 560k copies in 2 months at $70. Digital split was likely over 50%(the previous quarter was 79% digital for all PS software.

The digital games are straight up $70 revenue for Sony. Physical around $45.

You can see the game very likely broke $30m in 2 months and registered a significant ROI and the PS5 will sell another 10-15x it’s current install base.

Unfortunately a dope like you is never going to get it, too busy pretending to enjoy Flight Simulator 😁.
Don’t bother writing a paragraph next time. Not reading that rubbish.

Okay lets look at this using the US NPD. I'll use It Takes Two as an example

Charted at number 22 in March, then at number 9 in April

Returnal charted at number 8 in April, then number 7 in May

Even with that meh ranking, It Takes Two still managed to sell 1 million in less than a month, but Returnal, which ranked better couldn't even manage half of that in 3?

Don't be a looney Bernd

eating-crow.jpg

It's dinner time :messenger_savoring:

Matsuchezz

This game is fucking awesome. I have been progressing slowly because lack of time to play. But i have reached the last biome underwater. Probably this weekend i will master this motherfucker. It is a really cool game. Got story. I like that it has those log files that gives a lot of insight on the character. I hate reading hundreds of logs like in fucking control which i hate

MonarchJT

Banned
According to you, it did. You can't say Returnal bombed and think the main Forza series was successful.
forza is a worldwide success ....with 500k sales I see it really difficult that Sony will decide to do a returnal 2 .. the only chance is that fortunately the game does not come close to the costs of a pure AAA

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
forza is a worldwide success ....with 500k sales I see it really difficult that Sony will decide to do a returnal 2 .. the only chance is that fortunately the game does not come close to the costs of a pure AAA
Forza motorsports barely sales 1mso you're lying. Lol.

Funny watching people ignore facts.

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
And how does he know forza digital sales?
Forza 7 debuted #10 on the NPD charts and then fell out of the Top 20 a month later. It didn't pull strong numbers in Europe.

With US being the biggest region, I don't see how Forza is selling more than a million copies within 6 months unless it's bundled with Xbox consoles.

Top Bottom