• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Returnal Is A “Mega-Hit” In Sony’s Eyes

Lunatic_Gamer

Gold Member
Housemarque was one of the most recently announced acquisitions for PlayStation Studios, something that came as little surprise, after the two companies work together on Returnal, though it seems that Sony is even more pleased with Returnal than we may have thought, calling it a “mega-hit” in its new updated PlayStation Studios page on the official PlayStation webiste.

While the act of acquiring Housemarque is enough to know that Sony clearly likes the work that they’re doing, and hopefully calling it a “mega-hit” is an indication that financially the game was also very successful.

Last edited:

skit_data

Good to hear, it is my GOTY so far.

I don’t think Sony expected it to sell gangbusters, considering its harcore nature. Evidently it sold better than they anticipated, which is all that matters to them.

I bet this game has generated quite a lot of profit in relation to the money Sony invested.

kingpotato

Ask me about my Stream Deck
Was playing more tonight. I know the game doesn't appeal to everyone for reasons that have already been covered in the OT and elsewhere, but it's probably my favorite PS5 game so far and I've put the most hours into it (just crossed my Demon's Souls playtime of 69 hours).

Great visual design, amazingly tight intuitive controls, great gun design, beautiful particles, perfect gameplay loop and the sound design/score is astoundingly good. I absolutely love what they did with the audio in this game. I've played with the 3d headphones which do a nice job helping me hear some of the smaller details with more clarity, but the game on my surround system is just some kind of wonderful.

For me, this game is a mega hit and I wish they would release some more content. For now I've still got a couple of surveys to finish and just enjoy leveling up weapon perks still.

kyliethicc

n0QrIrL.jpg

engstra

Happy to hear that, easily the best next-gen experience in my eyes. Yet to play another game that makes use of the dualsense and 3d audio as well. The game has really grabbed me which I didn't expect as I've always been more of a narrative driven game person. The gameplay is just incredible.
Really hope even more people discover it because it deserves to be played by more people.

kingfey

Banned
It should be.

People want a gameplay game, not stupid cinematic shit.

Returnal makes players feel like they are getting a challenge. Its hard game, and fun at the same time. Very rewarding.

This is the ps2 sony game. Not the boring ps4 sony game.

I hope they ditch the useless cinematic, and focus more on gameplay, like returnal, last of us 2 (less cinematic).

Gamers are bored from too much talking, no action game. They want to get lost in the game's world. Having fun, while playing the game.

KiteGr

I want to get this one but I'm short on cash, and the current games are to expensive and I always buy retail.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Haven't played this yet, but definitely want to at some point. Can you still not save in it? I never understood that decision nor any of the arguments people use to defend it. Obviously you should not be able to abuse saving and loading, I'm talking about save and quit only.

Last edited:
Haven't played this yet, but definitely want to at some point. Can you still not save in it? I never understood that decision nor any of the arguments people use to defend it. Obviously you should not be able to abuse saving and loading, I'm talking about save and quit only.
I’m in 3rd biome right now and trust me, saving would kill whole concept of the game and it’s actually unnecessary. After you kill first boss, there is shortcut to second biome (idk, 10m to get there tops) and after you get to second boss, there will be shortcut to him not too long in 2nd biome (mind you, it will be very tough to beat him if you take this shortcut right away). What can be problematic is your equipment and are you well prepared to face him but there lies the challenge and rng to an extent. It has certain Dark Souls feel to it.

Also, very importantly, there is a lot of room to explore after you get certain equipment and start again in previous biomes so you don’t feel like you’re repeating same stuff again and again. I like it, very unique game, dark and mysterious.

Last edited:

RoadHazard

Gold Member
I’m in 3rd biome right now and trust me, saving would kill whole concept of the game and it’s actually unnecessary. After you kill first boss, there is shortcut to second biome (idk, 10m to get there tops) and after you get to second boss, there will be shortcut to him not too long in 2nd biome (mind you, it will be very tough to beat him if you take this shortcut right away). What can be problematic is your equipment and are you well prepared to face him but there lies the challenge and rng to an extent. It has certain Dark Souls feel to it.

Also, very importantly, there is a lot of room to explore after you get certain equipment and start again in previous biomes so you don’t feel like you’re repeating same stuff again and again. I like it, very unique game, dark and mysterious.

Why would saving kill it? It would just mean you could quit out of the game and pick it up from the same point later, like in the Souls games. I don't see how this could possibly be detrimental to the experience in any way. Again, I'm NOT talking about a traditional save/load system, ONLY saving and quitting.

Last edited:

Vognerful

I really do feel that the game sold as much as you would expect from such a game.

I mean don't put to much weight on such words. Bloodborne which is way popular, did not sell that much compared to other Sony exclusives.

arvfab

Banned
Why would saving kill it? It would just mean you could quit out of the game and pick it up from the same point later, like in the Souls games. I don't see how this could possibly be detrimental to the experience in any way. Again, I'm NOT talking about a traditional save/load system, ONLY saving and quitting.

Sleep mode helped. Sure, I couldn't play something else, but I barely switch to other games and for sure not during a good run.

EDMIX

According to their website Sony call Destruction All Stars is a “global phenomenon” 😂.

So yeah I’ll take all this with a grain of salt.

What else would Sony say about their own game that they financed and published.

Well....maybe.

The fact that Sony has bought the team, shows they feel it must have done well.

Lets say it sold shit and Sony put a lot of money in it, they wouldn't then buy the team. I do get what you are saying, that a company won't just NOT market its games lol, but in a situation like this...its more then just what they are saying, they bought the team. So what ever they put into this game ,they got it back and then some.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
your threads and comments on returnal really made me pick it up earlier than I planned! Thanks for that Bo! Much love.

you deserve some royalties lol

Glad you did! Some got a negative impression as I finished it in less than 12 hours on launch day. A bit of luck as well been there and many struggled in the game much longer. It's a unique game to me and atmospheric. Would love to see a non-roguelike sci-fi game next!

ripeavocado

Banned
Nice free adversiment for a game that is underselling and has been already forgotten by exploiting dumb influencer on social media and journalists looking fro click baiting anywhere.

Last edited:

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
According to their website Sony call Destruction All Stars is a “global phenomenon” 😂.

So yeah I’ll take all this with a grain of salt.

What else would Sony say about their own game that they financed and published.

Because that's part of the description of the game. It doesn't actually relate to sales.

Dominate the glittering global phenomenon of Destruction AllStars — the spectacular prime-time sport for dangerous drivers!

Product description​

The roar of the crowd… the growl of the engines… the crunch of metal… stars and cars collide in the global phenomenon Destruction AllStars. Master the mayhem as you pile on the damage from behind the wheel or on foot with jaw-dropping parkour, signature vehicles and exceptional abilities.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
This thread is so weird. It’s effectively “major company calls it’s own product a mega hit”
And then a bunch of people praising this fact…..
In other news, thank you, we now know crow does not taste like chicken nor it is sweet, but it is apparently very salty :p.

Seriously, if you find fans of the game which some warriors were treating as a sure bomba happy because it has all the signs of not being such… what does it make you?

Last edited:

EDMIX

This thread is so weird. It’s effectively “major company calls it’s own product a mega hit”
And then a bunch of people praising this fact…..

Well....many companies also state certain games sell below expectations, they also close down teams or don't give them a contract for another project etc..... so....yea.

I don't think its simply just a blind marketing thing as its not like they've NEVER stated something has sold below an expectation before. So I guess this sold well enough for sony to say this if they also bought the team.

If it wasn't a hit in their eyes, why buy a team making failures if thats how they really feel?

Top Bottom