• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Returnal Is A “Mega-Hit” In Sony’s Eyes

Godot25

Banned
Why are people bringing up Forza sales? That's not the topic.
Because they need to point finger into something else, because they feel insecure.

Returnal selling 560k and is megahit? Yeah, my ass.
I don't expect this game to have huge budget and I'm sure it's close to being profitable (or it already passed that threshold) but little over 5% attach rate at the beginning of generation when there is literally no other next-gen games is not a great look. I'm sure that 70$ price tag didn't help either.

FranXico

Because they need to point finger into something else, because they feel insecure.

Returnal selling 560k and is megahit? Yeah, my ass.
I don't expect this game to have huge budget and I'm sure it's close to being profitable (or it already passed that threshold) but little over 5% attach rate at the beginning of generation when there is literally no other next-gen games is not a great look. I'm sure that 70$ price tag didn't help either.
I mean, it's a niche genre.

Also, word of mouth about difficulty, limited progress saving, and last but not least, the high price tag surely did the game no favors where it comes to sales.

the $70 price tag only means it will have longer legs. you guys underestimate how many people wait for price drops before buying games. sony have had games that launch at 3m-4m that go on to sell 15m-20m copies lifetime. returnal has plently left in the tank yet. did anyone really expect this game to sell anything more than 3m-4m lifetme?

Last edited:

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
FM5 2.4
FM 6 2.02m in 2015
FM7 passed 1 m long time ago

funny to want ignore the reality that 1 million is more than double of what returnal it is at
You're ignoring reality that we're not talking about LTD, we're talking about 1 year sales.

Forza doesn't put up big numbers outside of bundles. You didn't comment on the NPD/Sales charts because it destroyed your argument. lol

Forza sold under 30k in the first week in the UK.

Forza Motorsport 7 is below 30,000 units.

Sales are 22% down on Forza Motorsport 6 and 60% down on Forza Horizon 3.

The highest week one sales was for Forza Motorsport 4 with 106,000 units sold.

NPD Results.

1. Middle-earth: Shadow of War
  2. Assassin’s Creed: Origins
  3. Super Mario Odyssey**
  4. South Park: The Fractured But Whole
  5. NBA 2K18
  6. FIFA 18
  7. WWE 2K18
  8. Madden NFL 18
  9. Destiny 2*
  10. Forza Motorsport 7
  11. Gran Turismo Sport
  12. Grand Theft Auto V
  13. The Evil Within 2**
  14. Wolfenstein 2: The New Colossus**
  15. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild**
  16. Mario Kart 8**
  17. Fire Emblem: Warriors**
  18. Tom Clancy’s Ghost Recon: Wildlands
  19. NHL 18
  20. Tom Clancy’s Rainbow Six: Siege

Xbox fans are so quick to say Returnal flopped but somehow can't use the same logic towards Forza Motorsports series.

Last edited:

MonarchJT

Banned
You're ignoring reality that we're not talking about LTD, we're talking about 1 year sales.

Forza doesn't put up big numbers outside of bundles. You didn't comment on the NPD/Sales charts because it destroyed your argument. lol

Forza sold under 30k in the first week in the UK.

Xbox fans are so quick to say Returnal flopped but somehow can't use the same logic towards Forza Motorsports series.
if you think that returnal have the brand recognition and strength of Forza games (in the sense of having "legs") good luck waiting for it to reach 2m. In my opinion the game is already buried and forgotten

Last edited:

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
if you think that returnal have the brand recognition and strength of Forza games (in the sense of having "legs") good luck waiting for it to reach 2m. In my opinion the game is already buried and forgotten
What legs?

F7 started number 10 on the NPD charts and fell out of the top 20 the following month. You're coming up with every excuse in the book. lol

Facts show that the sales have declined ever since 4 and they put up big numbers outside of bundles. It's a flop based on how you're calculating sales.

Top Bottom