• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Returnal falls to #15 in Week 2 | UK Boxed Charts

Why not? The 8 million PS5 users are hardcore fans who migrated to the new console ASAP. They'll buy games.

With just 1 day of sales in April (released on 30th), Returnal has sold more copies than Fifa, NBA, NFL, Call of Duty, Assassin's Creed, Spider-Man, etc. It is also already the second-best-selling game in the UK for the month of April (with just one day of sales), behind only Pokemon Snap on Nintendo Switch.

1 million copies isn't out of the realm of possibility.

Imagine that a game like Gof of War only sold 10 million in a year and 2 months on a 100 million install base. That means that one of the biggest sony games of the generation had an attachment of less than 1 in 10 ps4 owners. Imagine you are at a party with 30 people, they all have ps4's. And only those 3 weirdos in the corner bough god of war. The rest of 27 people didnt give the slightest flying fuck about this premiere sony exclusive. Now try to think a random game like Returnal did better. It just doesnt seem remotely possible

Last edited:
Imagine that a game like Gof of War only sold 10 million in a year and 2 months on a 100 million install base. That means that one of the biggest sony games of the generation had an attachment of less than 1 in 10 ps4 owners. Imagine you are at a party with 30 people, they all have ps4's. And only those 3 weirdos in the corner bough god of war. The rest of 27 people didnt give the slightest flying fuck about this premiere sony exclusive. Now try to think a random game like Returnal did better. It just doesnt seem remotely possible

Attatchment rates will naturally drop as your install base grows. Not something to think too much into

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
I don't want to pay 70 pounds for a game so I get that but not playing an potentially amazing game because the main character isn't some hot young woman is fuxking weird to me.

Don't get me wrong I like a hot thicc woman like a lot of people but damn....I just don't get that reasoning at all.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Why not? The 8 million PS5 users are hardcore fans who migrated to the new console ASAP. They'll buy games.

With just 1 day of sales in April (released on 30th), Returnal has sold more copies than Fifa, NBA, NFL, Call of Duty, Assassin's Creed, Spider-Man, etc. It is also already the second-best-selling game in the UK for the month of April (with just one day of sales), behind only Pokemon Snap on Nintendo Switch.

1 million copies isn't out of the realm of possibility.
All those games you listed have been out for half a year.

In Week 2, it's already down to 15th. Give it another month or two and it'll probably be out of the top 30 already.

Blablabla the studio has 80 employees and worked on the game for <3 years.
A studio like Santa Monica has 200-250 and worked on GoW for 5....

The budgets are incomparable.
It´s not an Indi game, but it`s far from AAA.....
So a game is AAA not because of Quality but based on time and money? And you cite one of the most expensive games as the bar for AAA.... I guess Halo Infinite is Cuadruple A although it looks single A, certainly can't hold a candle to Returnal in terms of visuals.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Slowly but surely digital is taking over.

I really don’t see the point of reporting physical anymore. Total sales or don’t bother.
True, but digital downloads are near impossible to track unless the platform holder/publisher themselves share the data. And Xbox and Nintendo rarely share that data with the public.

You can`t produce large amounts of high quality content if you don`t have the budget. Simple as that.....
True. But where do we draw the line? Returnal is pure quality. A Halo 5 game has a 5 hour campaign, some shoddy mp and that gets called AAA, but not Returnal? Laughable. If some studios are so badly managed and inept that they produce that kind of low quality while spending over 30 million dollars of budget with a team of over 100 people, that's their fault and such studio should be ashamed to be counted as "AAA".

Last edited:

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
All those games you listed have been out for half a year.

In Week 2, it's already down to 15th. Give it another month or two and it'll probably be out of the top 30 already.
Down to 15th for physical sales. It's overall at #2 -- the second-best-selling game across platforms (PS, Nintendo, and Xbox) just behind Snap :)

DeceptiveAlarm

Gold Member
How do you know that? The gameplay is addictive as hell and 2 hours most likely doesn't even get you past the first biome.
I don't like roguelikes. I hate dying and loosing everything. It's just not worth a $70 dollar gamble to me. Maybe I'll be surprised and love it. I won't find that out though unless it goes to ps+ or discount.

ethomaz

Banned
Slowly but surely digital is taking over.

I really don’t see the point of reporting physical anymore. Total sales or don’t bother.

Slowly?

It jumped from less than 30-40% pre COVID-19 to over 60% post VOCID-19.... it is actually 79% on Sony systems.

Haggard

Banned
True. But where do we draw the line? Returnal is pure quality. A Halo 5 game has a 5 hour campaign, some shoddy mp and that gets called AAA, but not Returnal? Laughable. If some studios are so badly managed and inept that they produce that kind of low quality while spending over 30 million dollars of budget with a team of over 100 people, that's their fault and such studio should be ashamed to be counted as "AAA".
Mismanagement in one game does not magically elevate another.
Nothing about Returnal could stand on the same pedestal as a Doom Eternal for example. Returnal has excellently balanced gameplay and particle effects, but let`s not kid ourselves about the sheer scope of content and general asset- count and diversity.
The whole A, AA, AAA classification wouldn`t even matter if Sony hadn`t chosen this game to be one of the most expensive on the market when the production budget absolutely doesn`t qualify it for this position.....The profit margin is just absolutely out of balance here if you look at the competition.

It jumped from less than 30-40% pre COVID-19 to over 60% post VOCID-19.... it is actually 79% on Sony systems.
When exactly did that "post covid" happen? Because last time I checked we were still in the middle of it, here in Europe at least. And it seems to just get started in large parts of Asia.

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
Mismanagement in one game does not magically elevate another.
Nothing about Returnal could stand on the same pedestal as a Doom Eternal for example. Returnal has excellently balanced gameplay and particle effects, but let`s not kid ourselves about the sheer scope of content and general asset- count and diversity.
The whole A, AA, AAA classification wouldn`t even matter if Sony hadn`t chosen this game to be one of the most expensive on the market when the production budget absolutely doesn`t qualify it for this position.....The profit margin is just absolutely out of balance here if you look at the competition.

When exactly did that "post covid" happen? Because last time I checked we were still in the middle of it, here in Europe at least. And it seems to just get started in large parts of Asia.
Pre-COVID19 is before 2020.
Pos-COVID19 is after 2020.
* Depend of the country... COVID-19 first case here was in March 2020 I believe.

COVID will probably never cease to exists... we will probably have anti corpses and all new children will get vacine but the virus itself will exists and it will mutate.

Last edited:

Roberts

I dont have a PS5 and dont plan on getting one, but I hope it sells well on digital. The more games like this succeed, the more we will be able to play risky games, regardless of the console.

Dthomp

its funny the people in these comments want to ignore that this game was pretty hard to find... there was a supply constraint... but whatever lol people really want returnal to fail unfortunatly for those people its not failing

Yeah, I really wanted the title and took over a week after launch before I finally was able to get a pickup in store option...45 minutes away from my home. Games not being on shelves hurts game sales, who could have thunk it?

Andodalf

Banned
I dont have a PS5 and dont plan on getting one, but I hope it sells well on digital. The more games like this succeed, the more we will be able to play risky games, regardless of the console.
Risky games are going to be best supported by indies or in places where they can't fail becuse they are fodder for gamepass/ PS+ at launch

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
Anyways, I hope this game finds success.

I am usually bad at housemarque games but I always liked them, and returnal was no exception.

Leyasu

Banned
Slowly?

I should imagine that you can pot your sources..

We aren't yet post COVID, and it will be interesting to see if it stays as high once we are.

ethomaz

Banned
I should imagine that you can pot your sources..

We aren't yet post COVID, and it will be interesting to see if it stays as high once we are.
My sources are public...

And yes we are post COVID-19 since the first case happened.
BTW even forced habits are hard to let it go after years of use.... so I don't think the digital ratio will ever decreased again.

Last edited:

Dev1lXYZ

Returnal is great. It crashed on me during my best run in the second area. It’s now behind RE:V in my play queue. It will hopefully be ready as once I finish up with RE, as it’s going to be finishing up the “C” route of Nier Automata if not.

I moved to all digital for games years ago, as I wanted to grow my collection of movies and frankly getting off the couch to change out games was a pain in the ass. I would love physical more if the special editions of games didn’t include useless junk trinkets. Is it too much to ask for variant covers printed on foil paper? Strategy guides and behind the scenes books only available as a part of the release like in the old days? They are leaving money on the table......

Leyasu

Banned
My sources are public...

And yes we are post COVID-19 since the first case happened.
BTW even forced habits are hard to let it go after years of use.... so I don't think the digital ratio will ever decreased again.
Yeah I too think that digital will only continue to grow. Been all digital since 2014. I won't buy a disc based game again.

Post means that is is behind us. We are still in the midst of it.

30 pounds would have been the perfect price for Returnal and it would have done way better numbers but since it 70 pounds that 98 dollars lol no wonder it didn't do as good.

FrankWza

People shouldn't be surprised and the console warriors aren't doing much to convince me otherwise. I'm not paying $70 for a new game that doesn't have $70 worth of content on top of an overpriced console with no real games anyway. Those of you defending Sony should realize they'll never love you, they only want your money and then will be happy to throw you away because you aren't the right type of consumer.
There’s a 50 page OT with 2k posts of people enjoying the game. Any other 50 page game OTs around? It’s bothering so many people that sales threads of users openly rooting against it actually exist. There’s nothing to defend. Buy it later when it goes on sale or don’t buy it at all and miss out on a great game. If you spent $500 on a console to let it sit there and wait for new games that’s your sad story.

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
Good.

LMAO at this being $100 Canadian dollars.

Only AAAA (TLOU 2, RDR 2, GTA 6, etc)games should be that price.

I hope they keep flopping until they come correct with their pricing.

Last edited:
Lots of sugar-coating for what is essentialy "I don't like something because I think it's an attack on me in this culture war I've decided is happening".

It's boring for you. Video games should be fun? Well, fun is a vague term and I don't think for everyone that what the main character looks like decides what's fun. Being hung up on how hot the main character seems to be the realm of a very select few. Retrunal is fun. And plenty of people could find playing a protagonist that we don't see a lot as fun or interesting. It's lame to think like you do that protagonist have to be one way.

You don't see a war on escapism. You see a war on the way you want things to be. Returnal is one game. There are no shortages of games featuring young and attractive people. You decide to single out Returnal because of some dumb "sjw pandering nonsense you read as being out there". Something that has nothing to do with the game and something that the game never pushes. Escapism also does not solely mean "play as hot characters", so constantly saying "I want escapism" means absolute shit and is a pointless phrase people like you think, has a point in these arguments. It just means "e tendency to seek distraction and relief from unpleasant realities, especially by seeking entertainment or engaging in fantasy", which does not preclude playing as a "confident older woman astronaut fighting shoot band aliens on Prometheus Cutlulu planet".That's entertainment and engaging in fantasy(i.e. something made up). Not everyone has to or wants to limit themselves to one type of material.

Far more female gamers think it's bullshit? Ok well I don't know what numbers you have, nor do I care as this really says nothing. Games are more popular than ever so plenty of people seem to be ok with games. Grand Theft Auto 5 is the most popular game ever and has some ugly old dudes as it's main characters. I think people just like playing games and plenty of people don't get hung up on "how hot the main character is" like GAF posters do. People like a variety of things and have different moods and like different things at different times.

Why? Why does she have to more attractive? What is more attractive? Who in their right mind wants to play a game as someone whose not attractive? Probably most people who don't give a shit? People who like good gameplay? People interested in something else? People interested in a different kind of experience? People who don't need eye candy in every game? People who understand the vibe and look this game is going for? You seem to think people want only one thing. Again GTAV, the most popular game ever features ugly dudes. But eh people understand what Rockstar is going for and that its not about "hot people do cool things". It's a crime game. Like Retrunal is a creepy hard sci-fi game.

And there's nothing wrong with making something that doesn't care about them. What's wrong with making a game that wouldn't appeal to them? Why do people like you constantly need to deride and attack games that feature different protagonists? Why do you need to constantly accuse them of the same sjw pandering shit? Why do posts about "how ugly" this normal-looking character has to show up in threads about this game?

Oh they should? Then why do you have a problem with this game? And you have to be blind as a bat if you think there's only 1 type of taste being pandered to. The only one full of bullshit here is you.

I don't care what Resetera thinks. Meanwhile, on GAF, they throw a shit fit anytime a game is seemingly "SJW PANDERING!!!" AKA features different types of characters. GAF literally is the reverse. It's amazing how many posters here care about how "hot characters are".

She doesn't look like she cleans toilets. She looks like a competent middle-aged professional who is an astronaut. The fact that you and others like you can't help but feel the need to insult the character like children means you don't believe the shit you said. The developers are free to make the game they want? Then why do you feel the need to talk about this "war on hot characters" or "this war on escapism" as you sugar coat it? When the only thing this game did was chose a character that fit its narrative. The answer is because you think when they do that they are making an affront to people like you. Sure you're not assembling an angry mob, but instead, you'll constantly peddle how games like this are attacking you and bad. Not wasting your time? Then why are you even talking about this game?
Disingenuous gaslighting.

There's been a war on gamers since 2014, a purposeful and concerted effort to systematically strip out everything regarding tone, style and aesthetic from how video games used to be as punishment for certain type of gamers for not playing along with the cultural agenda of making gaming another extension of political propaganda.

Every time a game developed in the western hemisphere comes out with a character like this a message is being sent, that message is a "screw you" to a certain type of gamer, it's done on purpose, none of it is by accident, it's not organic, it's forced by people with an agenda.

You saying this isn't true means you either simply haven't been paying close enough attention or you're lying, you can say it's a good thing that developers now try to shun a certain type of gamer, but please, spare me the lie that what's happening isn't happening because it is.

And that, my friend, is what bothers me, when I see an ugly female character in a video game I know there's a message behind that, a message of hate aimed at a guy like me, there's a ton of baggage to something like that.

There was less baggage when it was done in 2013, which is why it didn't bother me, then a certain event happened in 2014 and radically changed the tone among video game developers and publishers.

If this counts as "politics" I will kindly bow out and say no more on this topic.

Last edited:

KungFucius

King Snowflake
And we know one reason is because they just didn't have a lot of Physical editions this time around.
Because they are purposely supply constraining physical copies to keep prices high and make digital more attractive.

But also don't games tend to drop like this near launch? People with consoles want the new games ASAP and buy them. After that there are not many people who both have the system and want that particular game but haven't bough it left.

Smoke6

Sony killed this game with their stupid greedy pricing
No! Your meager ness killed your outlook on the game! I’m quite sure you own quite a few shit games you payed full price for and returnal just isn’t fir you regardless of price!

Why would anyone be surprised about this? It's the same story for most low budget indie games. Same exact thing will play out with Rachety clank.

Derift

There's been a war on gamers since 2014, a purposeful and concerted effort to systematically strip out everything regarding tone, style and aesthetic from how video games used to be as punishment for certain type of gamers for not playing along with the cultural agenda of making gaming another extension of political propaganda.

Every time a game developed in the western hemisphere comes out with a character like this a message is being sent, that message is a "screw you" to a certain type of gamer, it's done on purpose, none of it is by accident, it's not organic, it's forced by people with an agenda.

You saying this isn't true means you either simply haven't been paying close enough attention or you're lying, you can say it's a good thing that developers now try to shun a certain type of gamer, but please, spare me the lie that what's happening isn't happening because it is.

And that, my friend, is what bothers me, when I see an ugly female character in a video game I know there's a message behind that, a message of hate aimed at a guy like me, there's a ton of baggage to something like that.

There was less baggage when it was done in 2013, which is why it didn't bother me, then a certain event happened in 2014 and radically changed the tone among video game developers and publishers.

If this counts as "politics" I will kindly bow out and say no more on this topic.
bruh gamers are NOT just a bunch of 13 year old males...the gaming demographic has evolved why is this so hard to understand... its honestly VERY weird that this is an actual gripe for so called "gamers" your primary concern should be "is this game fun" not "is the character hot enough" seriously guys DO BETTER!

nbkicker

Couldnt agree with you more, ive been gaming for nearly 30yrs, and ive seen a slow change over the last few yrs, mortal kombat with its lets cover up all the female charachters cause no one would fight like that, but well just leave the male ones alone, rocksteady after arkham knight said every game going forward from then all the woman working for rocksteady could have a say how there female charchters look and portrayed wether working on that game or not, no one is saying they got to be hollywood models in a bikinii in the game, but some charchter that have come out recently in games youd be hard pushed to decide if they are female or male

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force

No, this is just a simple minded way of thinking about it. People design characters the way that best fits their story. Most mature people don't think about banging the video game character they're playing.

nbkicker

No, this is just a simple minded way of thinking about it. People design characters the way that best fits their story. Most mature people don't think about banging the video game character they're playing.
I dont think anyone ever said they where thinking about banging the video character they playing

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
I dont think anyone ever said they where thinking about banging the video character they playing
Someone has a problem if they're complaining about a video game character not being an attractive enough. Gamers today are letting small things bother them.

Top Bottom