• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FF7 Rebirth 89% drop in UK week 2 ("higher side of normal"); Unicorn Overlord debuts at #7 (60% sales on Switch); WWE #1

Deerock71

SWITCH PHYSICAL HIGHER THAN PS5?!?
Angry Animal Crossing GIF by Mashed

Pejo

UK boxed sales. Not much more you need to say, really. If they called it FIFA Fantasy: Modern Warfare, it'd be selling billions. I never pictured the UK as a big JRPG territory, and I'd imagine digital outweighs physical.

Stilll, even as a correlation, between this and the "less than FFXVI" article, seems like Rebirth probably came short of S-E's sales goals.

Happy to see Unicorn Overlord charting though, regardless of what the actual numbers are. Hope it does well enough so that Kamitani keeps his house.

Last edited:

Doom85

I'm not even going to bother. They sold exclusively on Nintendo when Nintendo was on top, and Sony when Sony was on top.

It'll be exclusive until the Switch 2 launches.

So if you think the game will be ported anyway, what are you actually complaining about?

What, should they have delayed the game by a year or more just to have it launch on both systems? That’s unreasonable.

Regardless, everyone knows the reason Final Fantasy 7 to 9 were only on Playstation and not N64 had nothing to do with which one was selling more and had a larger userbase, but rather that vision for those games required for them to be on CD-ROMs and not cartridges, so your argument is based entirely on a coincidence rather than anything substantial.

Last edited:

Lethal01

Stilll, even as a correlation, between this and the "less than FFXVI" article, seems like Rebirth probably came short of S-E's sales goals.

I agree these figures don't look good and could be a bad sign.
But it seems extremely important to bear in mind

image.png

The only game we know it lost against in Japan, is the biggest launch in Japan to date. Ofcourse we need to see holds but these are extremely good numbers..

Elios83

Had no idea people were this salty about the console exclusivity.

Incredibly dumb takes because of it.
As if the game could run on Switch or it would sell anything meaningful on Xbox.
PC version is coming and nothing prevents it after a 3 months exclusive.

But the issue is that this game is a direct sequel.
It's catering to the same group of fans and being a sequel they're not attracting new players.
Square Enix partially knew it hence the digital Twin package where the first part is given for free.
It is still selling in line with FFXVI, probably a bit more worldwide.
In the past we had data points about how FF sequels were doing, like FFX-2, FFXIII-2 and Lightning returns and the drops were unfortunately obvious.

Last edited:

Woopah

I agree these figures don't look good and could be a bad sign.
But it seems extremely important to bear in mind

image.png

The only game we know it lost against in Japan, is the biggest launch in Japan to date. Ofcourse we need to see holds but these are extremely good numbers..
They are good numbers for PS5, bad numbers for Final Fantasy.

Aenima

Thers an important factor regarding FF7 Rebirth physical vs digital. The digital version has the Twin Pack that included the 1st game for free.

EDIT: Was free only during pre-orders. The Twin Pack now comes with the 1st game for an extra 30€ compared to the standard edition.

Last edited:

Madflavor

Welp we'll know by Tuesday if Rebirth sold poorly globally. That press release should be happening within the next 48 hours. If you hear radio silence from Square, or something along the lines of "The Remake series has earned a total of 10 million globally!" then hoo boy.

Fucking sucks. Makes me feel old as shit to see Final Fantasy at such a low point. I remember when it used to be if you were a gamer, you knew what Final Fantasy was.

So long as Square dont compromise on the last part of the trilogy. They are probably looking into cancelling the other remakes though if even Vii cant get people excited.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Let’s be honest, do you think it would have sold well on the Xbox? Maybe Sony paying the exclusivity cost would offset much more than the Xbox overall sales. Switch is out of the question.

sigmaZ

It's likely simply a lack of advertising. 16 did a huge advertising push nearing it's release. I live in Japan and barely saw a whimper about Rebirth. Hell even Persona 3 Reload had some random collaboration with Wendy's that caught me off guard. It's sad, but gaming is all about hype. They didn't build enough of it. It still sold well all things considered though.

The brand was tarnished for decades.

The good news is we’re getting great FF games again with FF16 and FF7R.

the series is on an upward trajectory again. FF15 did a lot of brand damage
Honestly...after FFX it all went to shit. FFXI was a bit of a non-event. XII was great but didn't feel "Final Fantasy" and sales were nowhere near the ones from X. FFXIII was a mess and those sequels did nothing for the franchise. FFXIV released in a terrible state. It had to be re-released to actually turn things around. FFXV was a mess. FFXVI was the first main entry game since XII to get actual good reviews on release date.

The truth is, it's been 18 years since FFXII released. 18 years before 2006? It was 1988...almost the same year the first FF released, meaning half of the franchise's years were actually bad years.

You don't get rid of those bad years with 2 entries alone.

Last edited:

Lethal01

They are good numbers for PS5, bad numbers for Final Fantasy.
Sure, but to take these numbers and go "clearly this wouldn't happen if they went turn based/ didn't make so many bad games" Or some other gameplay critique is just dumb.

This is an issue with releasing PS5 games in Japan not an issue with the state of the brand or its gameplay..

Last edited:
Top Bottom