• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Famitsu Sales: Week 10, 2024 (Mar 04 - Mar 10)

Celine

I never said people are buying PS4 software.

I said people are buying PS5 for playing their already own catalogue.

As a hardware, PS5 is a great piece of machine. Thats why is still selling great even on Japan. Software wise, not so much besides third parties from japanese companies.
PS5 isn't the first console with BC.
Such factor never inhibited the purchase of new software.

Fake

PS5 isn't the first console with BC.

And?
PS4 was a great machine for Japan in that time, so maybe explain why japanese folks are still buying PS5, but not software. The key point was, the gap between PS5 and PS3 with are two machines that have BC, PS4 don't have BC. So, making a machine that have BC with PS4 can be a buy factor for any consumer that have a vast PS4 library.

You guys just need to use some little logic. PS4 did well on Japan, japanese gamers still had their library, physical or digital don't matter. If the Playstation 5 hardware sales are up while PS5 software are down, so people are using their PS5 for playing games they already had or using PS5 for something else.

Last edited:

Celine

And?
PS4 was a great machine for Japan in that time, so maybe explain why japanese folks are still buying PS5, but not software. The key point was, the gap between PS5 and PS3 with are two machines that have BC, PS4 don't have BC. So, making a machine that have BC with PS4 can be a buy factor for any consumer that have a vast PS4 library.

You guys just need to use some little logic. PS4 did well on Japan, japanese gamers still had their library, physical or digital don't matter. If the Playstation 5 hardware sales are up while PS5 software are down, so people are using their PS5 for playing games they already had or using PS5 for something else.
"And?"
Ahem as the second sentence in my post you've quoted: "Such factor never inhibited the purchase of new software."

I guess you aren't familiar with the argument at hand.
Was the NDS, a console that sits among the ones with the highest total software sales in Japan history, hindered by having BC with GBA which was another successful console?

EDIT:
I add that even in the case we didn't have historical examples that shows that BC in itself doesn't hinder software sales, it is possible to come to the same conclusion by using logic.
If we assume it exists a real case of a current console' software sales being awfully low (in a reasonably long stretch of time) due to people being just content to play years old games through BC then the culprit can't be identified with BC but the blame should be squarely put onto the new games that fails to grab the attention of a large portion of the active install base.

Around the mid '00s japanese consumers didn't fail to show up when the DS episodes of Mario Kart and Pokemon appeared just because they could play the GBA episodes of Mario Kart and Pokemon on their shiny new consoles, nor the remake of Final Fantasy III for NDS was shunned cause people was still playing with the GBA remakes of Final Fantasy I + II (or the GBA port of FFIV and FFV).
Even better new experiences like Nintendogs and Brain Age were huge sensations.

Last edited:

Celine

BTW Since I cited it and the discourse about Final Fantasy in Japan is still hot:

Final Fantasy III (NDS; 2006): 501.701 / 1.056.570 (FW / LTD)

The above fantastic performance for the remake was only possible due to special circumstances (NDS sky rocketing and a huge untapped thirst for quality RPG in the early phase of the NDS; of course Final Fantasy was held at a much higher esteem back then).

Comparison with previous remakes of I + II to understand why I say the remake of FFIII for NDS had the performance uplifted by the positive context:
Final Fantasy I (WS; 2000): 147.173 / 377.366 (FW / LTD)
Final Fantasy II (WS; 2001): 146.765 / 241.600 (FW / LTD)
Final Fantasy I (PS1; 2002): 55.095 / 173.243 (FW / LTD)
Final Fantasy II (PS1; 2002): 56.693 / 181.646 (FW / LTD)
Final Fantasy I + II Dawn of Souls (GBA; 2004): 136.634 / 269.174 (FW / LTD)

Last edited:

Hardensoul

BTW Since I cited it and the discourse about Final Fantasy in Japan is still hot:

Final Fantasy III (NDS; 2006): 501.701 / 1.056.570 (FW / LTD)

The above fantastic performance for the remake was only possible due to special circumstances (NDS sky rocketing and a huge untapped thirst for quality RPG in the early phase of the NDS; of course Final Fantasy was held at a much higher esteem back then).

Comparison with previous remakes of I + II to understand why I say the remake of FFIII for NDS had the performance uplifted by the positive context:
Final Fantasy I (WS; 2000): 147.173 / 377.366 (FW / LTD)
Final Fantasy II (WS; 2001): 146.765 / 241.600 (FW / LTD)
Final Fantasy I (PS1; 2002): 55.095 / 173.243 (FW / LTD)
Final Fantasy II (PS1; 2002): 56.693 / 181.646 (FW / LTD)
Final Fantasy I + II Dawn of Souls (GBA; 2004): 136.634 / 269.174 (FW / LTD)
What console is WS? WonderSwan?

Kerotan

You still forgeting PS5 had BC. Japanese folks are playing PS4 games on PS5, so explain a lot 'why' hardwares are up, but software are down and we can't blame them.

Sony is focus so much on western content. The only think that maintain PS5 relevant on Japan right now as you can see are the Third Party games.
I play so many ps4 games still on my ps5. Currently dead island and RDR2. I even stream a lot of ps1/psp and PS3 games through premium. There's so much to play.

Fake

I play so many ps4 games still on my ps5. Currently dead island and RDR2. I even stream a lot of ps1/psp and PS3 games through premium. There's so much to play.

I have tons of games from PS4, physical and digital.
I'll try to get PS5 this year and keep playing PS4 games. Only some PS5 games that get my attention, most japanese like Dragon Ball or Unicorn Overload.

Kerotan

I have tons of games from PS4, physical and digital.
I'll try to get PS5 this year and keep playing PS4 games. Only some PS5 games that get my attention, most japanese like Dragon Ball or Unicorn Overload.
It also made no sense waiting years to buy a playstation if you primarily play last games because years into the Gen the ps5 is more expensive then launch if anything. So you might aswell enjoy better performance on your old games for longer.

Top Bottom