• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FF7 Rebirth 89% drop in UK week 2 ("higher side of normal"); Unicorn Overlord debuts at #7 (60% sales on Switch); WWE #1

Honestly...after FFX it all went to shit. FFXI was a bit of a non-event. XII was great but didn't feel "Final Fantasy" and sales were nowhere near the ones from X. FFXIII was a mess and those sequels did nothing for the franchise. FFXIV released in a terrible state. It had to be re-released to actually turn things around. FFXV was a mess. FFXVI was the first main entry game since XII to get actual good reviews on release date.

The truth is, it's been 18 years since FFXII released. 18 years before 2006? It was 1988...almost the same year the first FF released, meaning half of the franchise's years were actually bad years.

You don't get rid of those bad years with 2 entries alone.
It's so true. XVI was the best FF since XII but considering how bad XIII and XV were it isn't saying a lot sadly, I don't count the online games. I'm "one of those" that feels they shouldn't be numbered entries. Drives me nuts.. in a couple decades we'll have a big handful of online only numbered titles that are just dead. Seems short sighted. They have spent the better part of the last 20 years aggressively diluting the brand with sequels in a series that prided itself on being stand alone entries each time as well as so many spinoffs. I hope things do turn around eventually.

Between XVI and Rebirth even though each of these have their faults I'm hopeful that things can start heading the right direction.

Pejo

Sure, but to take these numbers and go "clearly this wouldn't happen if they went turn based/ didn't make so many bad games" Or some other gameplay critique is just dumb.

This is an issue with releasing PS5 games in Japan not an issue with the state of the brand or its gameplay..
I agree with most of your post but the state of the brand as a whole absolutely has some part to play on why sales are what they are. Final Fantasy used to be one of those "can't miss" franchises. It's so diluted with various remakes/spinoffs/MMOs/games of dubious quality that FF as a brand no longer means what it used to.

I personally used to be the biggest FF fanboy I knew, now I don't even buy FF games within the first year usually. Last time was FFXV and I felt disrespected and burned by that. Considering S-E considers FF one of its core franchises, they really don't treat it with the respect that they should. My initial thought when I see a new FF game announced is "How's it gonna be shit THIS time?"

Could FF7:Rebirth run on the Switch 2?
A lot of people could say yes, but considering the high cost of parts, I doubt that Switch 2 will be a huge upgrade compared to the current one.

Still, the franchise could do a little bit better if ported to other platforms, but I don't think it would be doing gazillions like some people expect.

Xbox only gamers would wait until the game hits GP.

SE would probably go the EGS exclusive route for at least a year, then release it on Steam for a whopping $70.

Again, the franchise is possibly declining or it's possibly just stagnating atm regardless of the exclusivity.

Madflavor

The brand was tarnished for decades.

The good news is we’re getting great FF games again with FF16 and FF7R.

the series is on an upward trajectory again. FF15 did a lot of brand damage

I don't think we can call it on an upward trajectory after these numbers. It's been on a constant decline since XV. Remake, XVI, and Rebirth all released to higher acclaim than XV, but we're not seeing a turn around.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Unicorn Overlord deserves even more sales, the game is so fun!

I also hope to see Rebirth sale well, the game is just super good!

This year has fucking stacked if you fan of Japanese games and we are not even done yet……MY GOD!

LakeOf9

I’m talking about quality

It may take a long time to turn sales around, but as long as the quality is persistently there they can reclaim the brand
Well, they’ve put out one amazing game with Rebirth (and Remake was good too). Now they have to follow up on that consistently. The damage from 13, 15, and 16 is going to be hard to undo, especially if they follow up with a divisive game again.

Unicorn Overlord deserves even more sales, the game is so fun!
Yeah this has been great

Last edited:

PSlayer

Welp we'll know by Tuesday if Rebirth sold poorly globally. That press release should be happening within the next 48 hours. If you hear radio silence from Square, or something along the lines of "The Remake series has earned a total of 10 million globally!" then hoo boy.

Fucking sucks. Makes me feel old as shit to see Final Fantasy at such a low point. I remember when it used to be if you were a gamer, you knew what Final Fantasy was.

Final Fantasy is a Millenial brand and we millenials are getting old. Mortgages,rent,wives,children,etc...We don't have the time,money and energy to support all our childhood ips anymore.

GenZs have their own set of ips to support and Final Fantasy may not be one of them.

Another problem is the way this """remake""" was structured. For new audiences it may be too confusing and expensive to hop in.

>It's a remake of an old game but it is also a multiverse sequel so you better play the older outdated game to fully understand.
>Oh you have to pay $70 but that is for disc one,disc two will come in half a decade,disc 3 will come in a decade. Each for $70.
>Each new disc will come on a different hardware so you better buy a PS5 and a PS6 if you wanna see the ending of the story

Last edited:
up 6% over FF16 sales as of 2 days ago, again, just physical.

A couple days prior to the OT tweet.

It was up 30% the week of launch compared to FF16… The trend is not looking good at all, this week probably is going to drop below the sales of FF16 in the same period of time. Also take into account that FF16 didn’t sold that good.

Last edited:

Lethal01

this is absolutely the issue.
I agree with most of your post but the state of the brand as a whole absolutely has some part to play on why sales are what they are. Final Fantasy used to be one of those "can't miss" franchises. It's so diluted with various remakes/spinoffs/MMOs/games of dubious quality that FF as a brand no longer means what it used to.

I personally used to be the biggest FF fanboy I knew, now I don't even buy FF games within the first year usually. Last time was FFXV and I felt disrespected and burned by that. Considering S-E considers FF one of its core franchises, they really don't treat it with the respect that they should. My initial thought when I see a new FF game announced is "How's it gonna be shit THIS time?"

The "state of the brand" is so "terrible" that it allows them to easily have their games get the biggest launches on playstation by far.
Like I said, the games could/should be doing much better worldwide but I think that very specifically using the Japanese sales as a point towards that is completely misguided.

The Japanese launch sales would be good evidence of the exact opposite of what you are trying to claim. it would indicate that the series isn't just a can't miss franchise but THE can't miss franchise since right now literally ko other franchise was close to beating it..

Last edited:

Bkdk

Good thing is sony likely no longer want the last part a console exclusive anymore. pc version will be there day 1.

OuterLimits

Gamers deserve the shit broken games filled with microtransactions releasing nowadays.A 93 metacritic game filled to the brim with love that is a complete package comes along and they don't buy it.

You deserve every shit that comes your way in this broken industry.

Eventually people need to just accept that Final Fantasy is a declining franchise in terms of gamer interest.(not necessarily quality). Hopefully Sony gave Square a huge paycheck but it isn't a huge system seller like it was in earlier gens.

Last edited:

ProtoByte

I bought Rebirth, enjoying it...but it would have sold so much better had it released on PC day one. The performance issues here are jarring and PC gamers are growing drastically.
No it wouldn't. I really don't know where this stuff comes from.
I’m talking about quality

It may take a long time to turn sales around, but as long as the quality is persistently there they can reclaim the brand
Not with remakes or generic looking mainlines, they can't.

Well, they’ve put out one amazing game with Rebirth (and Remake was good too). Now they have to follow up on that consistently. The damage from 13, 15, and 16 is going to be hard to undo, especially if they follow up with a divisive game again.

Yeah this has been great

What damage from 16? It's an extremely well received game. I realize it's not an "FF purist's" ideal FF game, but the quality, production values, tone, story, and combat structure were all strong. They can build upon that. It's certainly a vast improvement over 15 and the may titles preceeding 15.

ssringo

It's really odd that people have a problem with exclusives if it's a PlayStation exclusive. I've never seen this kind of bitching and concern about sales figures when the game is a Switch or Xbox exclusive.
Must not pay attention to those platforms then. Off the top of my head Bayonetta on Switch caused plenty of anger for 2 and 3's release as did Rise of the Tomb Raider on Xbox. That aside it's not like either get a whole lot of big 3rd party exclusives for people to even get mad about.

The "state of the brand" is so "terrible" that it allows them to easily have their games get the biggest launches on playstation by far.
Like I said, the games could/should be doing much better worldwide but I think that very specifically using the Japanese sales as a point towards that is completely misguided.

The Japanese launch sales would be good evidence of the exact opposite of what you are trying to claim. it would indicate that the series isn't just a can't miss franchise but THE can't miss franchise since right now literally ko other franchise was close to beating it..

Like I said, the games could/should be doing much better worldwide
Exactly, this is FFVII, the most iconic and generation-defining JRPG of all time.....It should be doing Elden Ring/GoW/The Last of Us level of sales.

...This franchise is pretty fucking old. But when you look at Look at Elden Ring, It is the culmination of 10+ years of refining a formula FromSoftware established. One could argue that the 'Elden Ring moment' was the OG FFVII for Square Soft BUT then with SE we have two generations of lackluster, divisive, and troublesome entries putting the franchise in a position turmoil among fans and losing its luster among the general public.

I think FFVII Remake Part 1 didn't impress a lot of people due to an excess of fan service and outdated design. So right there, Square Enix didn't start with the strongest foot. Now... maybe this trilogy is the foundation (at least in some aspects) on which Square Enix can rebuild the status FF once had. But to be honest, the BIG ISSUE Square Enix has is the fact that they don't have the necessary in-house technology to pull this up and in turn this limitis what they can achive from a vision point of view (and they fucked up with Luminous) At this point the only hope is for SE to use Decima.

Hardensoul

Final Fantasy is a Millenial brand and we millenials are getting old. Mortgages,rent,wives,children,etc...We don't have the time,money and energy to support all our childhood ips anymore.

GenZs have their own set of ips to support and Final Fantasy may not be one of them.

Another problem is the way this """remake""" was structured. For new audiences it may be too confusing and expensive to hop in.

>It's a remake of an old game but it is also a multiverse sequel so you better play the older outdated game to fully understand.
>Oh you have to pay $70 but that is for disc one,disc two will come in half a decade,disc 3 will come in a decade. Each for $70.
>Each new disc will come on a different hardware so you better buy a PS5 and a PS6 if you wanna see the ending of the story
Wait, what? What's that BS calling it a remake? I just wasn't interested in playing it because of the episodic releases. But knowing this just gives me even more pause. SMH

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
I don't think we can call it on an upward trajectory after these numbers. It's been on a constant decline since XV. Remake, XVI, and Rebirth all released to higher acclaim than XV, but we're not seeing a turn around.

The thing that matters most to us gamers is that the Final Fantasy games since 15 are all better than that game.

Lethal01

Exactly, this is FFVII, the most iconic and generation-defining JRPG of all time.....It should be doing Elden Ring/GoW/The Last of Us level of sales.

...This franchise is pretty fucking old. But when you look at Look at Elden Ring, It is the culmination of 10+ years of refining a formula FromSoftware established

Rebirth's launch was more than 2 times stronger than Elden rings, 5x stronger than Spiderman's, maybe 8x stronger than Horizons, GOWs, The last of us etc.
Again we were talking about the Japanese PS5 launch, and looking at the numbers show's that their games are simply the biggest ones out there.

So trying to use that point as evidence of the series losing it's luster among fans because the fans didn't like their fan service, graphics, vision etc is silly. Again the Lauch sales is all I was talking about.

Last edited:

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
People are too quick to judge on rebirth sales .

Rebirth is a sequel which requires the play through of the first remake .

I don't think rebirth is a good first entry game

ShaiKhulud1989

Gold Member
My god, this thread. The only thing that UK boxed chartS are usually telling us is that game x is not EA FC. PS5 user base is half of PS4 when FF7R dropped, so Rebirth will have a strong tail with every new PS5 sale. Not even counting sublime word of mouth and clever double pack digital bundle.

Rebirth's launch was more than 2 times stronger than Elden rings, 5x stronger than Spiderman's, maybe 8x stronger than Horizons
FF was always more popular in the west among its contemporaries. if is doing great in Japan, good for them. but i highly doubt the Japanese market is going to make up for the rest of the world.

Again we were talking about the Japanese PS5
we? i am not. I am taking in general.

So yes, FFVII should be performing like those games i mentioned when taking into account all the markets

, and looking at the numbers show's that their games are simply the biggest ones out there.
Again FFVII was a worldwide phenomenon and is considered one of the most iconic and important JRPGs of all time.

So trying to use that point as evidence of the series losing it's luster among fans because the fans didn't like their fan service is silly
as silly as focusing on the Japanese market in thread about the UK which is painting a picture for the entire Western market.

and as you said:
Like I said, the games could/should be doing much better worldwide
Exactly. This is what happens when you keep delivering lackluster, divisive, and outdated games for two generations straight.

GHG

It's really odd that people have a problem with exclusives only if it's a PlayStation exclusive. I've never seen this kind of bitching and concern about sales figures when the game is a Switch or Xbox exclusive.

The war on exclusives has begun, they've had their marching orders.

It's funny because they somehow think it releasing on a platform that has become notorious for poor game sales (and particularly so physical game sales, which is what this thread is about), would have helped.

If Phil Spencer is out here port begging and saying "exclusives bad", then so will his minions. Sad to see really.

Sleepwalker

The war on exclusives has begun, they've had their marching orders.

It's funny because they somehow think it releasing on a platform that has become notorious for poor game sales (and particularly so physical game sales, which is what this thread is about), would have helped.

If Phil Spencer is out here port begging and saying "exclusives bad", then so will his minions. Sad to see really.
Its really annoying too, the same discourse happened with FFXVI last year. No matter what the metrics are or if Square say they're happy the narrative keeps popping up.

GHG

Its really annoying too, the same discourse happened with FFXVI last year. No matter what the metrics are or if Square say they're happy the narrative keeps popping up.

It's a minor annoyance in the grand scheme of things.

• Square have always done this with the final fantasy series (and many other of their franchises in fact).
  • If you want to play the remake series then it's clear where there are opportunities to do so and in what time-frames.
  • If you have a deep interest in Final Fantasy and you purchased the one console brand (and only game on that platform, which is a poor decision in itself in 2024) that has no meaningful history/connection with the franchise (and the one console that gets the cold shoulder in general from Japanese games/franchises) then thats on you, nobody has any sympathy. There is nothing new happening here.
Let them yell into the abyss.

is easy for this narrative to go away. The games should sell around 10 Million within the first year.

Very few games sell that amount in a single year, and many of the games that do are generally not singleplayer titles. This is the gaming landscape we live in now.

Last edited:

Edmund

Must not pay attention to those platforms then. Off the top of my head Bayonetta on Switch caused plenty of anger for 2 and 3's release as did Rise of the Tomb Raider on Xbox. That aside it's not like either get a whole lot of big 3rd party exclusives for people to even get mad about.

Oh come on. The level of salt and scrutiny from Nintendo fans whenever Playstation scores an exclusive is always much worse. Just go to Resetera and Install Base.
Nintendo fans want every fucking game ported to the Switch not knowing their extremely outdated hardware can barely run games at 720p and a smooth 30 fps and blaming devs for not wanting to port games to the switch.
Xenoblade 3 is a great game but it is a fucking blurry mess and makes me feel nauseous when I play it. SE would have to scale down their vision for FF7 Rebirth if they have to port it to the switch and it'll end up a blurry mess at 240p and 10 fps and we'll have a compromised version of the game.

Very few games sell that amount in a single year, and many of the games that do are generally not singleplayer titles. This is the gaming landscape we live in now.
We are talking about Final Fantasy. and if one entry is able to achieve this, is precisely FFVII.

this part should at least be able to do better than part 1

and the final part has to be the entry in which the "Final Fantasy" is fulfilled.

Megatron

do pre orders count as day one sales? I bought the game digitally Last year. Did my pre order get added to the day one sales? If so, that means that the ‘first week’ was actually months worth of sales all added together, so of course the drop off will be huge. It’s not like a movie or something. And a game with more pre orders is going to be on the ’higher end of normal’ second week sales Drop.

They will, eventually. And I’ll be there day 1, Sony broke the spell for me, I’m not buying anything new on PS5 anymore now that I know ports are coming.
I’m going through Remake Intergrade right now on the new living room PC. Gorgeous game!👌

Heck yeah! 4k/60FPS, in 2024 it plays much better and seems more stable. I need to finish my Hard playthrough. Game is super easy, now that I know the battlesystem. :messenger_moon:

do pre orders count as day one sales? I bought the game digitally Last year. Did my pre order get added to the day one sales? If so, that means that the ‘first week’ was actually months worth of sales all added together, so of course the drop off will be huge. It’s not like a movie or something. And a game with more pre orders is going to be on the ’higher end of normal’ second week sales Drop.
Yes. But the drop % of the second week is higher than normal compared to other games including previous FF games, So the first week sold less than FF7 Remake and the second week drop was higher, also higher than FF16.

It's really odd that people have a problem with exclusives only if it's a PlayStation exclusive. I've never seen this kind of bitching and concern about sales figures when the game is a Switch or Xbox exclusive.
Nobody does this type of exclusivity anymore. Rise of the Tomb Raider comes to mind where Xbox paid to get it removed from other systems. That was long time ago.

Amount of money Sony / Square lost here, it could be used for making another game. Complete self ownage and counter productive. Hampers growth of franchises, expect lower budget Final Fantasy games in furure, a series that historically has been industry leading and extremely high budget.

Nobody is going to talk about Rise of Ronin like this. Everyone knows its a small studio and game is funded by Sony. It wouldn’t be made otherwise.

Top Bottom