• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Returnal falls to #15 in Week 2 | UK Boxed Charts

Fbh

Do we have physical + digital sales data? That's really the important part.
I wouldn't expect a new IP from a niche(ish) genre on a system with a small install base to make amazing numbers.

But I do think the higher pricetag isn't helping. Returnal seems great but I've seen nothing about it that seems to justify a higher price than other big releases.

Sony might want to look into different price tiers. Leave the $70 for the super high budget blockbuster stuff like Naughty Dog games or God of War, and keep the $60 or even $50 tag for other games.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I wouldn't expect a new IP from a niche(ish) genre on a system with a small install base to make amazing numbers.

But I do think the higher pricetag isn't helping. Returnal seems great but I've seen nothing about it that seems to justify a higher price than other big releases.

Sony might want to look into different price tiers. Leave the $70 for the super high budget blockbuster stuff like Naughty Dog games or God of War, and keep the $60 or even $50 tag for other games.
Whomever does UK sales reports doesn't seem to do digital with it. Pretty sure NPD US combines them.

No different than TV ratings where it says a show dropped 50%. Unless someone can figure out adding in all the people streaming from different sites, that -50% might be -30%. Or maybe it's actually +6%.

Haggard

Banned
The game is well designed, but too difficult. I know, I know. 'Git gud'. I don't want to,
Even though I'm also on the "the game is way too expensive for what it is" side this bit here absolutely invalidates your whole stance....
It's a game made from the ground up so that only "git gud" matters, and that has been made clear in all previews and reviews..... And then you buy the game and whine that it's about "git gud".
That one is 100% on you mate.
You can't buy a ticket to a horror movie and then whine that it's not romantic enough........

Last edited:

Optimus Lime

(L3) + (R3) | Spartan rage activated
Even though I'm also on the "the game is way too expensive for what it is" side this but here seriously invalidates your whole stance....
It's a game made from the ground up so that only "git gud" matters, and that has been made clear in all previews and reviews..... And then you buy the game and whine that is about "git gud".
That one is 100% on you mate.
You can't buy a ticket to a horror movie and then whine that it's not romantic enough........
I'm not 'whining' about anything. I'm presenting a few reactions to the game, some of which are positive, and others are negative. The opinion that the game is pitched a little too high in the difficulty is in no way less valid than the opinion that the difficulty is about right. They are different takes on the same experience. I also said that I admire the game, and think that much of the design is impressive. I just don't think they nailed the difficulty in the way they needed to for it to reach mass acceptance.

I never said anything about Housemarque falsely making claims about their game in their previous, or reviewers lying about the game's difficulty. I'm presenting my reaction to the game, which I can imagine isn't an isolated example, as one of the factors that might have contributed to the game's performance.

So, no. Nothing's been 'invalidated' here. Calm down. Housemarque are not damsels that you are rescuing from a fire breathing dragon.

It’s sad that the topic is $70 but people bought godfall and not an ill word was spoken
Very good point, but I think I remember people saying Godfall was expensive as well for what it was. There were a lot of people even saying it was a expensive, bad game also.

MaKTaiL

Digital sales are very different. These physical sales figures tell us nothing about the game's success.

Last edited:

Optimus Lime

you bought "git gud - The game" and complain that it's actually about gittin gud. Pretty sure that's the very definition of whining, and if it wasn't so far it sure is now.
So, is there a way that a person can suggest that Returnal's difficulty may have had an impact on how successful the game was in the general marketplace without it being 'whining'?

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
They haven’t had yet a press release with units sold… that silence speaks volumes.

I’m terrible at returnal, but the game is ace. Shame people aren’t picking it up.

The protagonist is hideous, she looks like someone who cleans gas station toilets, who wants to play a game as her?

I'm not saying female protagonists have to always be very sexualized, but they go the opposite extreme now by making them hideous, what is the point of that? Can't they just look normal?

People go on about how "sexist" games used to be with female characters but point to me an old game where the male protagonist was hideous, even male protagonists were made to be attractive unless it was a game with some oddball cartoony style, but not one trying to look like a real person.

Nobody wants to play as ugly people period.

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
I kinda expect Sony to continue to make it hard to find physical copies of their games.

Nudge more and more people to digital, naturally have less used games on the market... profit.

Probably just a fluke or based on low preorders but I like my conspiracy theory lol

Dolomite

random GIF

Bodomism

Banned

Even with the digital sales according to gamebiz it still unable to take Pokemon Snap spot last week. It was no.4 in digital sales for Returnal.

Dolomite

The protagonist is hideous, she looks like someone who cleans gas station toilets, who wants to play a game as her?

I'm not saying female protagonists have to always be very sexualized, but they go the opposite extreme now by making them hideous, what is the point of that? Can't they just look normal?

People go on about how "sexist" games used to be with female characters but point to me an old game where the male protagonist was hideous, even male protagonists were made to be attractive unless it was a game with some oddball cartoony style, but not one trying to look like a real person.

Nobody wants to play as ugly people period.
So many Male protagonist in popular titles look generally ugly as shit. I'm not sure any lady would want to fuck captain price, old Snake, or Marcus Phoenix. Nathan drake was designed to look like a pretty boy but he's more of an exception than the norm. Either way, why does it matter how ugly she is?

Last edited:

skit_data

haters: yes!! see!!?? this game fails, told you hahaha
haters: there is not enough variety of video games currently, video games suck developers unwilling to take risk : (
”No matter which way you turn, your ass will always be facing backwards”

A good swedish saying

So many Male protagonist in popular titles look generally ugly as shit. I'm not sure any lady would want to fuck captain price, old Snake, or Marcus Phoenix. Nathan drake was designed to look like a pretty boy but he's more of an exception than the norm. Either way, why does it matter how ugly she is?
Because when there are so many other games vying for your time and money most people are going to take one look at the ugly woman on the cover and choose something else.

Developers are cutting their noses off to spite their face when they do crap like that, there's no reason or logic to making the protagonist so ugly, it's a video game set in space, it's not fucking "Gummo: The Game", it's a profoundly idiotic and illogical culture we live in.

If only things could have stayed at 2013 levels I'd be fine, back then they toned female characters down from being blatant sex objects to looking more like real people, think 2013 Tomb Raider Lara and Ellie in The Last of Us, I was fine with that, but I knew it wasn't going to stop there, eventually they'd keep going until they make female characters flat out ugly, which is what they're doing now.

price, small installed base, hard AF - won't ever sell as much that bug-gathering game for kids.

but hey, at least we have a modern Metroid.

Because when there are so many other games vying for your time and money most people are going to take one look at the ugly woman on the cover and choose something else.

Developers are cutting their noses off to spite their face when they do crap like that, there's no reason or logic to making the protagonist so ugly, it's a video game set in space, it's not fucking "Gummo: The Game", it's a profoundly idiotic and illogical culture we live in.

If only things could have stayed at 2013 levels I'd be fine, back then they toned female characters down from being blatant sex objects to looking more like real people, think 2013 Tomb Raider Lara and Ellie in The Last of Us, I was fine with that, but I knew it wasn't going to stop there, eventually they'd keep going until they make female characters flat out ugly, which is what they're doing now.
To be fair, we played the entirety of the original Metroid thinking we were controlling a typical 80s macho hero inside the suit. Instead, it was a woman with a weirdly male name of Samus.

let the ugly woman at planet Anthropos have their fun. I'm sure inside her there's a macho hero willing to come out.

ZehDon

Gold Member
I'll be curious to see what the final launch month numbers are like once we have physical and digital numbers. PS5 owners are clearly looking for something to play... but a punishing new IP rogue-lite that is repetitive by design launching at AUD$125.00 is a very tough sell.

Optimus Lime

I'll be curious to see what the final launch month numbers are like once we have physical and digital numbers. PS5 owners are clearly looking for something to play... but a punishing new IP rogue-lite that is repetitive by design launching at AUD$125.00 is a very tough sell.
I really had to hold my nose to pay - I don't give a shit what anyone here says, $125.00AUD is too much for a game, especially a game that Returnal turned out to be. I can't see myself paying that much money for a video game ever again, and it's actually inspired me to just start buying non-exclusives on the PC where I can get keys for cheap.

I refuse to play as my boss in space. The character design is awful. I'm guessing the main cover turned a lot of people off.

Sony 🤦
This. why did they have to make the protag into the most ugliest soccer mom ever looking like she needs to take a huge dump?
Literally everyone on the planet prefers sexy babes.

At this point some Western devs would rather lose money than make a young woman with a beautiful face, imagine after hours of thinking and planning the devs decided that this face is the best they can do to appeal to gamers. no wonder the game bombed hard in UK and Japan lmao

FCZfYBE.jpg

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
I own both but RE8 is more worthy of a full priced game than $70 for Returnal.
Disagree as RE8 is the mega franchise sequel coming from giant AAAA publisher while Returnal I feel needs and deserves its money being a bigger risk as a new hardcore niche IP from a small developer.

Three

Again, it has nothing to do with being able to afford another $10, it is accepting an unnecessary price increase. They are testing the waters to increase the price and I wouldn't support it. There is nothing wrong with the already expensive $59.
Everyone that is buying this at $70 is voting with their wallet that it is ok, let's make all games $70.
They are just recouping PS5 hardware losses and releasing a PS5 only game so have lower sales than those who release crossgen or multiplatform games. It's necessary because financially they need to recoup dev costs from a smaller install base. Economies of scale is not in their favour. Over time this price will go down so just buy it at the price you think is fair if you like it. The market balances itself out.

Bodomism

Banned
This. why did they have to make the protag into the most ugliest soccer mom ever looking like she needs to take a huge dump?
Literally everyone on the planet prefers sexy babes.

At this point some Western devs would rather lose money than make a young woman with a beautiful face, imagine after hours of thinking and planning the devs decided that this face is the best they can do to appeal to gamers. no wonder the game bombed hard in UK and Japan lmao

FCZfYBE.jpg
Context for Japan sales
New Pokemon Snap - 147K
Returnal - 6.5K

You have no clue wtf your talking about. Game's budget was in the Millions. But made by a small studio, sound design is going to get some awards for sure. Game is brilliant. Never played a game to addictively in a long time.

It is Niche in the style of game it is. But saying this is not a AAA game in it's presentation or content is really reaching. Shows how little you know about game asset creation.

Do we have a hard figure for the budget of this game ?

What i can tell you as a fact, is that this is not an AAA game. I have no ideea where this notion came from. Its a small, AA tier game, made on the cheaper side of things. Theres nothing wrong with that, its not a slight against the game, its not a fault. But this is NOT an AAA game

Derift

Uh god these comments are mond numbing ... its honestly pretty disheartening when peoples grip with the game is that the character doesn't have her tits out and isn't more attractive...anyhow again LOOK AT THE DIGITAL SALES!!! this game Ia doing fine... stop bitching about the price tag

MonarchJT

Banned
this game in italy is selling bad (physically) with the game stay on the shelves. online as someone posted the charts is doing bit better but is clear that the price is very wrong. So this was expected

Last edited:

dDoc

It’s sad that the topic is $70 but people bought godfall and not an ill word was spoken

I doubt that many people bought GodFall.

Also was available at launch I think.

Returnal>>>GodFall.

Eur 80 in Europe still sucks balls.

Still not being able to buy a PS5 sucks even more.

Duchess

Serious question: are fewer physical copies of games being produced? It seems a lot of PS5 titles are forever sold out on Amazon UK (and some other retailers).

I guess they thought gamers weren't so vapid and instead mature enough to handle things beyond what 13 year old boys think is cool.

Guess they were wrong.

Inviusx

I can't speak to for rest of the world but our biggest game retailer in Australia stocked it for $124 AUD which is $97 USD. As cool as this game looks I doubt many were lining up with prices like that.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Serious question: are fewer physical copies of games being produced? It seems a lot of PS5 titles are forever sold out on Amazon UK (and some other retailers).
Wouldnt be surprised at that.

Likely a marketing ploy to get people to buy digital so the platform holder maxes out profits.

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
I guess they thought gamers weren't so vapid and instead mature enough to handle things beyond what 13 year old boys think is cool.

Guess they were wrong.

games are not oscar bait movies, they’re meant to be a relief from everyday stuff

have you looked at the irl actress they facescanned? They purposefully chonkified the in game model by making jaws and chins wider.

TheDreadLord

Gold Member
A niche game held back by the small user base. No wonder it has sold poorly. The issue is that when the PS5 base becomes larger, probably there will be more appealing next-gen games on the market. It is a bit sad because the game has a lot of qualities. Perhaps a PC port would be the best at this point?

Top Bottom