• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil 3 demo coming March 19th | Demo & Resistance Open Beta Trailer

brian0057

Banned
Did you expect not to be called out for only (I can assume) playing 2 of the 3 games?
I'm judging the mechanics of the game. Not the story, not the characters.
The REmake 2 demo plays just like final product from beginning to end.
Unless the game suddenly turns into Monster Hunter halfway through, I'm confident that REmake 3 will play just like its demo from the start as it happened with its predecessor.

SuperGooey

RE2(R) - damage system of body parts, graphics-high level of details, some scripted dog behaviour (e.g. climbing basketball court fence)

RE3(R) - damage system of body parts (even if worse than in RE2[R]), graphics-high level of details
Alright. Fair enough. I wasn't actually expecting you to have an answer other than "Dead Space did everything better". It must've hurt you, haha, but at least you're being somewhat reasonable. Somewhat.

I'm gonna be honest. Every post I've read of yours is you telling people who enjoy certain Resident Evil games that they either aren't true Resident Evil games or that Dead Space does X better. You clearly have an agenda every time you enter a thread, and that's fine. I get it, I'm a passionate RE fan as well, but discussion becomes pointless when you try to discredit every thing people like about a game because you feel another game did something better.

You're welcome to have your opinion, but that shit is really annoying. Imagine if every time someone you brought up Dead Space, someone was always ready with a "I wish I could like that game, but X game has better level design." Alright. Cool? Then you look at their post history, and the last 300 posts were him saying the same exact thing to other people in other threads. That's when you're in danger of not being taken seriously ever. Granted, this is coming from someone who's first and only thread was asking people when the last time they pooped their pants was, so maybe I shouldn't be the one giving advice.

However, with that said...
I'm judging the mechanics of the game. Not the story, not the characters.
The REmake 2 demo plays just like final product from beginning to end.
Unless the game suddenly turns into Monster Hunter halfway through, I'm confident that REmake 3 will play just like its demo from the start as it happened with its predecessor.
You can't speak for the overall pacing and difficulty of the game, right? You can't speak for the puzzles, enemy variety, level design (outside of the small slice from the demo; which moved/removed items) or boss battles. A lot of people find those things important to RE, so without experiencing those things, I don't see the point in dropping your remake rankings. Of course, you're welcome to do what you want, but I get the feeling you were more going for a reaction and not a discussion. At least initially.

brian0057

Banned
You can't speak for the overall pacing and difficulty of the game, right? You can't speak for the puzzles, enemy variety, level design (outside of the small slice from the demo; which moved/removed items) or boss battles
I don't and I didn't. The REmake 3 demo, and likely the final product, maintains the resource management and the combat from its predecessor. No problem there.
But the vast majority the time of both is spent either in combat or running away. You know? That thing you do for hours betwixt the minutes you spend on puzzles? The demo has that.
Does the game have enemy variety? I don't know. That would be nice. But that's not what I'm judging.
Does it have good level design? From what I've played, it looks like it. But that's not what I'm judging.
I'm judging what the bulk of the game is: combat, resource management, and running away from the Kool-Aid man.
Does the demo have any of that? Yes.
Will the final game have it? History says yes.
By those metric, REmake 3 already ranks below its predecessors in my book.

Last edited:

SuperGooey

I don't and I didn't. The REmake 3 demo, and likely the final product, maintains the resource management and the combat from its predecessor. No problem there.
But the vast majority the time of both is spent either in combat or running away. You know? That thing you do for hours betwixt the minutes you spend on puzzles? The demo has that.
Does the game have enemy variety? I don't know. That would be nice. But that's not what I'm judging.
Does it have good level design? From what I've played, it looks like it. But that's not what I'm judging.
I'm judging what the bulk of the game is: combat, resource management, and running away from the Kool-Aid man.
Does the demo have any of that? Yes.
Will the final game have it? History says yes.
By those metric, REmake 3 already ranks below its predecessors in my book.
You're gonna look really dumb when Nemesis and the perfect dodge don't end up in the retail game.

molasar

Banned
Alright. Fair enough. I wasn't actually expecting you to have an answer other than "Dead Space did everything better". It must've hurt you, haha, but at least you're being somewhat reasonable. Somewhat.

I'm gonna be honest. Every post I've read of yours is you telling people who enjoy certain Resident Evil games that they either aren't true Resident Evil games or that Dead Space does X better. You clearly have an agenda every time you enter a thread, and that's fine. I get it, I'm a passionate RE fan as well, but discussion becomes pointless when you try to discredit every thing people like about a game because you feel another game did something better.

You're welcome to have your opinion, but that shit is really annoying. Imagine if every time someone you brought up Dead Space, someone was always ready with a "I wish I could like that game, but X game has better level design." Alright. Cool? Then you look at their post history, and the last 300 posts were him saying the same exact thing to other people in other threads. That's when you're in danger of not being taken seriously ever. Granted, this is coming from someone who's first and only thread was asking people when the last time they pooped their pants was, so maybe I shouldn't be the one giving advice.

In my answer I did not compare new RE games to DS series, but if you ask me, I prefer DS graphical aesthetics and flesh damage system over one in new RE games.

Also if you take an essence of classic RE games which made them popular, it is not found on the same level in new ones. It is just a mish-mash between the classics and RE4-6/spin-offs. The latter ones I do not consider as good RE games. And it is not my fault that generally DS games are better. Even heavily criticized DS3 is. That is why I am surprised that RE2(R) was not but being nothing special in comparison to DS3. Also a game design does not have to be the best but it is hard for me to call it good in a case of new RE games.

I am a gamer since the early 80s and I played gazillion of games in my life. And my only agenda here is to call something what it really is. I did the same with Terminator: Resistance which people put on the same level with Doom: Eternal and above Rage 2. If people think that my experience does not count, they can always challenge me about it and we will get to the bottom of it through deep analysis.

One more thing. Do you really believe that people gonna' talk about new RE games in the future like they talk about the classics? Which ones are easier to be replaced by something new and shiny?

SuperGooey

Also if you take an essence of classic RE games which made them popular, it is not found on the same level in new ones. It is just a mish-mash between the classics and RE4-6/spin-offs. The latter ones I do not consider as good RE games. And it is not my fault that generally DS games are better. Even heavily criticized DS3 is. That is why I am surprised that RE2(R) was not but being nothing special in comparison to DS3. Also a game design does not have to be the best but it is hard for me to call it good in a case of new RE games.
RE2make is more focused than you give it credit for. It does have the OTS perspective of RE4, but aside from that, the games function completely differently. The level design is much different, being in line with the classic games. Granted, RE2make isn't a direct translation of the classic fixed-camera games, but it hasn't have to be either. Like the classics, you aren't given ammo, health or money for killing enemies--that's a huge difference right there. Killing enemies just make routing your course to your destination easier, but at the expense of resources--this is the main focus of the game. Puzzles, routing, item management are all intensified in the remake since you are discourages to kill enemies since they tank so many shots.

Compared to the classic, RE2make requires more of the player as they route their course from one side of the RPD to the other. There are also more choices to be made when it comes to boarding up windows (not the most fleshed out mechanic, but better than in the original RE2), and enemy placement (and which enemies you leave behind or crawling without legs) is decontextualized once Mr. X starts stalking you. There is also a lot more optional rooms than in the original RE2.

Also, RE2make has a bigger focus on puzzles than RE2 Classic. They are more involved puzzles, too. When RE2 Classic's lab becomes hallways after hallway of monsters to mow down, the remake still focuses on puzzles and more open areas.

It's not the same, but it's in the same spirit. RE2make in its core design is much closer to RE2 than RE4.

One more thing. Do you really believe that people gonna' talk about new RE games in the future like they talk about the classics? Which ones are easier to be replaced by something new and shiny?
I can see people talking about the REmake trilogy alongside the classic trilogy. The great thing about the remakes is that they don't replace the originals, they are simply a different take. A lot of the core spirit is there, but they are heavily remixed offering a different experience. Both trilogies compliment the other without replacing them.

For me, overall, I prefer RE2 Classic over the remake. I think the gameplay and level design is better in the remake, but I prefer the feel of fixed-camera games. Plus, the atmosphere, soundtrack, art direction, story, and 4 scenarios are way better in the original, in my opinion. But I still accept the remake for what it is. It's not the remake I wanted, but it's a great game that I do think ranks among the best in the series, and is distinctly a RE game of the modern era.

Last edited:

VFXVeteran

Banned
This graphics engine is working it's way up to being one of my all time favorite engines. The rendering quality is amazing on a 2080Ti @4k/60FPS. I turned up everything to the max and it consumed 10G of VRAM on graphics alone - just 1G shy of maxing out the 2080Ti's memory!! As I expect, this next generation will be highly dependent on memory bandwidth.

molasar

Banned
RE2make is more focused than you give it credit for. It does have the OTS perspective of RE4, but aside from that, the games function completely differently. The level design is much different, being in line with the classic games. Granted, RE2make isn't a direct translation of the classic fixed-camera games, but it hasn't have to be either. Like the classics, you aren't given ammo, health or money for killing enemies--that's a huge difference right there. Killing enemies just make routing your course to your destination easier, but at the expense of resources--this is the main focus of the game. Puzzles, routing, item management are all intensified in the remake since you are discourages to kill enemies since they tank so many shots.

Compared to the classic, RE2make requires more of the player as they route their course from one side of the RPD to the other. There are also more choices to be made when it comes to boarding up windows (not the most fleshed out mechanic, but better than in the original RE2), and enemy placement (and which enemies you leave behind or crawling without legs) is decontextualized once Mr. X starts stalking you. There is also a lot more optional rooms than in the original RE2.

Also, RE2make has a bigger focus on puzzles than RE2 Classic. They are more involved puzzles, too. When RE2 Classic's lab becomes hallways after hallway of monsters to mow down, the remake still focuses on puzzles and more open areas.

It's not the same, but it's in the same spirit. RE2make in its core design is much closer to RE2 than RE4.

I can see people talking about the REmake trilogy alongside the classic trilogy. The great thing about the remakes is that they don't replace the originals, they are simply a different take. A lot of the core spirit is there, but they are heavily remixed offering a different experience. Both trilogies compliment the other without replacing them.

For me, overall, I prefer RE2 Classic over the remake. I think the gameplay and level design is better in the remake, but I prefer the feel of fixed-camera games. Plus, the atmosphere, soundtrack, art direction, story, and 4 scenarios are way better in the original, in my opinion. But I still accept the remake for what it is. It's not the remake I wanted, but it's a great game that I do think ranks among the best in the series, and is distinctly a RE game of the modern era.

Like I already stated RE2(R) is a weird mish-mash and I have played it and finished it, so I know what it offers.

Generally games where you carry guns and they are in the OTS perspective automatically put people into battle mode, not puzzle solving one. Where is a gameplay pleasure here?

And I do not agree. The game is a soulless imitator and I do not remember back in 1998 or years later people complaining about the classic like they do about the remake. And it is a failure that the 'remakes' are not good enough to replace the originals or be at least on the same/similar level with exception of RE(GCN).

Anyways you surprised me with your overall preference because I thought that you are OMG the new remakes hard core fan.

SuperGooey

Like I already stated RE2(R) is a weird mish-mash and I have played it and finished it, so I know what it offers.

Generally games where you carry guns and they are in the OTS perspective automatically put people into battle mode, not puzzle solving one. Where is a gameplay pleasure here?
I mean, you can say the same about first person horror games putting you into "first person shooter mode." The OTS in RE2make gives you more freedom to aim, but that doesn't take away that there is a heavy emphasis on puzzle-solving.

And I do not agree. The game is a soulless imitator and I do not remember back in 1998 or years later people complaining about the classic like they do about the remake. And it is a failure that the 'remakes' are not good enough to replace the originals or be at least on the same/similar level with exception of RE(GCN).
The way I look at it is this:
The RE2 remake is like what Metroid Prime is to Super Metroid--different perspective that absolutely can alienate the fans, and it absolutely changes the gameplay--some things are lost (like fast-pace mobility), but things are gained as well. In the end, there still is a heavy emphasis on atmosphere, collecting upgrades, and exploring an alien world.

RE2make loses a lot of what I love in the original in the translation to OTS and the focus on "realism", but a lot was gained as well. We may not agree but I so see the spirit of RE2 in the remake. It could have been done better, I think the team was really misguided in some areas (cutting enemies and the scenarios, and the obsession with "realism"), but I still think a lot of love and passion went into the game.

Anyways you surprised me with your overall preference because I thought that you are OMG the new remakes hard core fan.
I have a weird relationship with RE2make. It's one of my favorite games of the generation, but also one of my biggest disappointments. Haha! I think it's a great RE game, the best one since RE4, but a very disappointing remake in a lot of areas.

For the record, the first REmake and RE4 are tied for my favorite RE games (with the classic trilogy as a whole tied for second), so I'm open to the more action-y style, but generally prefer the fixed-camera style. What I like about RE games is the idea of what an RE game is changes. Sometimes it's a major success, like with RE4 or RE7 (I know you disagree with this), and other times it's a failure (RE6). But the series covers a large margin of gameplay styles, so I try to keep an open mind when the series takes another unexpected turn.[/quote][/QUOTE]

Last edited:

Vlaphor

Also, if you're curious as to if the game will be moddable...the demo came out two days ago and we already have this

Yoo9lEE.jpg

xviper

The original game is my favorite RE, and i loved REmake 2, but i have a feeling that REmake 3 is gonna suck, i think they rushed it, only 1 year between the two remakes ? something's fishy.

GHG

The original game is my favorite RE, and i loved REmake 2, but i have a feeling that REmake 3 is gonna suck, i think they rushed it, only 1 year between the two remakes ? something's fishy.

They had 2 separate teams for the remakes of 2 and 3 I believe and then after 2 was finished they moved everyone on to 3.

Aggelos

Guy on these French forum claims that he has finished the game already.
So take everything with a grain of salt.
Google translate

Few tidbits from the French guy sharing his opinion:

-No Spiders seems to be confirmed.

-Interesting Tidbit: There's an in-game shop, you earn points for completing challenges in the game to buy unlockable weapons, infinite ammo for guns, and other things. One of these things is a return of the RE7 Tokens that give you special properties when you hold them in your inventory (even some for a challenge like ones that double the damage you take).

-Clock Tower is very small, composed of a few rooms and a boss battle. Hospital on the other hand is much expanded.

-Weapons the guy confirms (though says unlockable weapons in the game's challenge/point store):
-Knife
-Flash Grenades
-Normal Grenades
-Shotgun (can be improved with parts)
-Glock 19
-Glock 18 (fires bursts of 2-3 bullets)
-Grenade Launcher (can also launch planted mines)
-Lightning Hawk Magnum

-Confirms Nemesis has many forms during the game, more than the original.

Few things more from the French fun
-City is much larger than the original.
-Apartments are new.
-Hospital is much larger than the original.
-Sewers are new.
-There's two new environments in the last fourth of the game they don't want to spoil, but are brand new and weren't in the original.

I finished the game in hardcore at 9am, personally I liked it as much as the 2. I missed the magnum, I wonder where they hid it.

Indeed there are less areas, but it is compensated by more areas and longer game phases (especially Carlos). In the end I find it very good because for me all the additions with Carlos are the great success of the game. These are the most stressful passages of the game and the most successful.

For the ink ribbons I think it is the structure of the game much more chaptered due to the many changes of character and decor that makes them do like that. In the state they would have effectively been used for nothing.

Brief in the + and -

+
Technically fabulous
The hospital, better passage of the game
The phases of play with Carlos really top
The boss-fight much better than in 2, and the hunter

-
Easier in hardcore than the 2 (but the nightmare mode I started and damn that it's hot. The enemies you OS and the window for dodging is much more reduced, moreover it changes the whole vision of the game)
The omissions in the monsters, as in 2.

I don't know if the game is better than the original, because it's really totally different. Much more than the 2 for that matter. We are much further from 1.5 than at the time I think.

As you can see, the game is available today in Paris but quickly fell apart. Don't worry by Monday there will normally be restocking.
I will try to give a quick notice (after 3h30 of play) without SPOILS.
First of all, the game puts us in the mood directly like TV reporting. Jill in his apartment goes VERY quickly to find himself in shit. We take a few steps and it's the heat of the moment that grabs us through the skin of the c **.

For those who wonder, we can see Jill's beretta but the first weapon we are given to use is a Glock 19.

We really feel that the city is going crazy, everything explodes and is on fire and blood. We find some famous characters of the saga and by the way of the 2 Remake (yes the game is happening in parallel, but this is not news).

Anyway, Jill will have to scramble to evacuate in the middle of the zombies and the fire. But that's not counting the Nemesis.

The footsteps and the presence of Mr X stressed you? Forget everything, Nemesis is there to put you in stress-level PLS. Running without looking behind, hearing it walk quickly and then tapping a point behind you will quickly make your heart rate increase.

He’s not there to make you look pretty or waste your time like Mr. X, he’s there to make you REALLY hurt.

Well we do not fall in the harbor of ammunition, but some passages under stress will quickly make you spoil a few bullets.

After two good hours, the first REAL boss fight against our giant teddy bear. And frankly it imposes. No matter how critical the face that the developers gave him, it really makes you feel stressed and seems to be after you much more than in the basic game.

After two and a half hours I wanted to test the passage of Carlos, or at least I imagine the first. I would not say more about it so as not to spoil, but it remains more posed and scary than that of Jill in his unfolding for the coup.

To make it clear, and sorry for the block, the game is very action-pack, especially with Jill, the ammunition is not unlimited but can quickly fall in the road if we are in total stress or if we discover without having done the 2 Remake and its gameplay mechanics.

The dismemberments are on the other hand to the subscribers absent from what I saw, I tried to butcher arms and legs with the knife, nothing.

The dodge system greatly facilitates the gameplay, we will not hide it but it happens to screw up and get caught up in a Snickers.

Level development of the story, apart from a few winks and more or less known passages, you will fully discover the game even for the elders, it does not unfold at all like the basic one or at least not at all in the same order.

For trophies, it seems to be a challenge, because I could see trophies of the genre ending in "hell" or "nightmare" in row S, so that promises.

If you have a few questions (based on the fact that I only have about 3:30 of game huh lol) do not hesitate I would answer it at best.

At the moment I have not seen the belfry but I have heard that it is there and so are the spiders. But for the moment nothing of all that.
To answer the question about Jill and the Nemesis at the police station, there is a risk of spoiler but, let's say that I was not at the police station with Jill.

I told you the script takes a whole new twist, it's a lot less copied from the original than the Remake of 2 for once.

There are no new characters for the moment except one related to the part of Carlos we will say.
On the other hand, bits of new scenario that there are a lot.

For Dario yes you do come across it, but briefly at least for now. Nicole at the moment I haven't seen her.

Yes you see the missile razing the city
For the hospital it's not very big, we are on a part very close to re2 in terms of atmosphere (horror), with key objects ect. Not very big but from the exploit and the tension, I had to stay around 1h30. In the end it freaked me out more than Nemesis

Yes there are save rooms with typewriters to save.

The city is bigger than the original, the hospital too. Seems to me that the sewers were not in the original I have a memory lapse.
And in the last third of the game you have 2 environments that weren't in the original.

Last edited:

dan76

So about one of those screenshots from a leaked early copy above
a 5 hour 30 minute clear time? Fuck me that's quick, though I remember the original IGN review of 5 had a similar clear time. I hope they ran through it quickly because that's was to short - the guy does say he missed the magnum so maybe he wasn't exploring. I was hoping for a good meaty 12-15 hour campaign.

Liked it enough, something ill add to the discussion that while the graphics are beautiful, it seems like the engine has issues rendering certain things at medium distances. Like some smoke was oddly pixelated, same with the generals beard in the opening scene.

Werewolf Jones

Gold Member
Sounds better than RE2 remake.

I don't want say I was right... OH OF COURSE I DO. HAHAHAHA

Just add Mercs post release at some point. Mikhail, Carlos and Nikolai's models shouldn't go to waste.

Aggelos

Sweet!
Someone is getting fired though.

Nobody's getting fired.
In France apparently they've broken the street date. You know, people wanna make some money, because the measures taken for Corona Virus are killing the retailers.
If you were a retailer in France, being killed by the lock-downs and shut-downs, you wouldn't care about keeping any street dates for VGs. Once you got the stock, you'd sell it to people who are really craving/yearning for their product.

Reactions: Isa

Aggelos

OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Lickers in the Police Station! He's playing Carlos in the police station and a licker popped up....

Germuso

After watching final version....yeah gore tone down and physics gone, all the zombies have the same animation and posture when die ( angel posture, lol)

The Game looks cool, but it's disappointing.

Aggelos

After watching final version....yeah gore tone down and physics gone, all the zombies have the same animation and posture when die ( angel posture, lol)

Is it probably due to the number of zombies that are loaded in an area? Seems like there are more zombies in each loaded area, when compared to RE2Remake.
So was it because of performance, I'm just wondering....

Aggelos

Stream got axed....
Considered as if it was a new image.... Great vista.....

HZhH3VC.png

They have more images from the stream on reddit

Last edited:

Germuso

Is it probably due to the number of zombies that are loaded in an area? Seems like there are more zombies in each loaded area, when compared to RE2Remake.
So was it because of performance, I'm just wondering....

Hunk 4th survivor mode has lot of zombies on screen, who knows...maybe bigger maps or just worse team.

Aggelos

The shot of the Clock Tower was the perfect (or worst?) time for the streamer to get banned.

It is said that somebody snitched him to Katastrophe (Capcom EU Resident Evil brand manager) so the stream was axed.

Hunk 4th survivor mode has lot of zombies on screen, who knows...maybe bigger maps or just worse team.

I thought about that too. Tons of enemies are loaded there with the entire area/map. Same with Ghost Survivors.
Really don't know what happened.
Aside from Capcom Development Division 1, Capcom subsidiary K2 Inc. and M-Two Inc. assisted and co-developed the game.

unknown.png

Last edited:

Aggelos

What a rat! Oh well, that's for the best. I spoiled myself enough. Btw, Aggelos Aggelos , wanna make an RE3 spoilers/leak thread? I'll give you the honor. :)

Man it was bound to happen sooner or later. People are jealous of seeing others having fun with their desired/coveted game.
Just get over it....

You thought about it first (to make a spoilers/leaks thread), so don't hesitate to launch it!

Last edited:

Soulsdark

Did not expect this game to have jiggle. Appreciative, but unexpected.

Omg, realism in a realistic game.
No wait, I am already seeing people complaining about it rofl.....

Apparently it's the '' wrong kind of realism '' or something.

Pretty crazy about the game leaking like that too.
I got Diablo 3 over two weeks too early but it was always online so I couldn't play it.
I think that I got Gears of War 3 too early too, sometimes they just mess up and send them too early but damn 2 weeks is a lot lol. I was really surprised when it happened for me with Diablo 3.
It was a collectors edition too so I could watch all of the cutscenes etc.

Last edited:

TLZ

Banned
I played the demo on both Pro and X. Pro has 60fps and X has 4k (I think, if not it's definitely higher res than Pro). I wish the X had a 60fps option.

Top Bottom