• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Redfall | Review Thread

What score do you think Redfall will get?

• 0 -10%

Votes: 8 1.3%
  • 10-20%

Votes: 1 0.2%
  • 20-30%

Votes: 2 0.3%
  • 30-40%

Votes: 7 1.2%
  • 40-50%

Votes: 27 4.5%
  • 50-60%

Votes: 81 13.4%
  • 60-70%

Votes: 239 39.6%
  • 70-80%

Votes: 173 28.7%
  • 80-85%

Votes: 44 7.3%
  • 85-90%

Votes: 9 1.5%
  • 90-95%

Votes: 1 0.2%
  • 95-100%

Votes: 11 1.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Bernardougf

Gold Member
Bernard, I love ya man but...you're being incredibly harsh in this case, c'mon man...

You/we can disagree with another user's opinion but Miku is not of those guys/gals (I don't think so at least).

Let's just try to not be assholes brother it's all I'm saying...

PS: The Senjutsu guy is on a whole different level/planet, he's being paid 100% and if he's not, well, he should be seeing a doctor.

PS2 : Just by the comments in here, this game has has brought the worst out of everybody, well played MS/Arkane ! 😁

Na, cant have some shill telling me I need to eat shit to know it dont taste good, we have xbox fans here posting honest opinions and not defending the studio and/or MS at the same time. Enjoy anything you want, as I do, but defending something this factually bad, you can smell the shilling and semi-PR talk from miles away as GHG already pointed, Is alaway the same handfull of people

Bernardougf

Gold Member
Yeah I don't think anybody on this forum is at the same level as senjutsu...At least nobody that I haven't blocked.
And you're right Punished Miku Punished Miku is clearly not on the same level, he has his clear bias and I don't think that's a secret but he's pretty civil during disagrements.

I never see senju be uncivilized, he made walls of posts of bullshit but I personally never see nothing too agressive ... I think his ban was for obvious propaganda and shilling in every thread and with time becomes obvious what you are here to do... the only difference I see between he and this fellow is the size of posts, because in essence their posts are basically the same. We can all be civilized, dosent mean we can spread fud in a civilized matter. But is just my opinion, dont want to see propaganda over and over... I preferer a honest discussion.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
I never see senju be uncivilized, he made walls of posts of bullshit but I personally never see nothing too agressive ... I think his ban was for obvious propaganda and shilling in every thread and with time becomes obvious what you are here to do... the only difference I see between he and this fellow is the size of posts, because in essence their posts are basically the same. We can all be civilized, dosent mean we can spread fud in a civilized matter. But is just my opinion, dont want to see propaganda over and over... I preferer a honest discussion.
So how do I prove I'm not a paid secret agent? Does your conspiracy theory have a fail state?

P.S. do you hear voices when you're all alone?

kyussman

G, I get what you're trying to say but...let's use Death Stranding in this case, a game which had :
- State of the art graphics
- Excellent OST
- Interesting new mechanics/tried new things
- Bonkers story which also tried some new things/strayed from normal video game cliches
- Had ACTUAL gameplay and not only "walking" like stealth and action bits plus, ginormous boss-battles.

...and what happened ? the usual hate circle jerking with people spouting "Kojima is a hack ! " / "Kojima lost it ! " / "60 Eurodollars Walking simulator LOL " / " Enjoy your 50 hour walking sim Sony ponies LMFAO !1!1 " ad infinitum...
Even if you dared to reply "have you actually played the fucking game ? " ('cause 99% were drawing their "opinion" from YouTube videos) you were met with replies in the vein of "LOL why/how are you even enjoying it?" it's like...you weren't even allowed by these people to actually enjoy the game - the same "low standards" excuse was used by them, like, it was impossible for them to even comprehend that the game was enjoyable and/or that you actually were having fun with it...
Just the other day, a "warrior" in this very forum used DS in a "warZ list" as to "demonstrate" how shit some Sony releases have been in the past also 😁

What I'm trying to say is...some times there's assholes and trolls, sometimes circle jerking and hate brigades are inevitable when it comes to "shit game of the month" (most recently Forspoken and Redfall) and sometimes is all a matter of perspective.
You can enjoy mediocre games , telling others though that they should or shouldn't like something is no bueno though, just saying bro...

Cheers
This post is fine,I get what you're saying......but as a huge Death Stranding simp I just want to make it clear to anyone else reading this there should be no comparison between Redfall and that game....just in case there is any confusion,lol.One is a fucking masterpiece and one is not.

GHG

This might be the greatest navel gazing post I've ever seen. Like I knew this thread was going to be full of nonsense with it being 71 pages for a game this forum was supposedly not interested in, but boy oh boy does this single post deliver.

. . . always a battlefield for the vigilant (console) warrior I guess.

Whats funny about highly projective clown takes like this is that you clearly have no idea.

Here are my opinions on Arkane:
Yes Arkane.

I'm there whatever it is.

May 2nd. Please don't let me down Arkane. I'll buy the shit out of it if it's good.

I liked it even though it was their worst game by some distance. A "bad" Arkane game is still better than 90% of games out there. It's a great shame they decided to assume everyone's an idiot and make it handholdy.

Here are my opinions on Prey 2017 (which I personally regard as one of the greatest games of all time).

1. Hades - expected a good rouguelike indie game and 60 hours of addiction later I ended up with my GOTY.

2. Prey (2017) - based on all the pre release material I thought it was going to be a standard shooter but it actually turned out to be one of the best immersive sims of all time and the best spiritual successor to system shock we could ever wish for. Even the Mooncrash DLC surpassed my expectations in every way. A roguelike immersive sim? Sign me up.

3. Nier (2010) - the moment I stopped listening to critics. The game is a masterpiece. This game shits on the face of anyone who says "videogames can't be art".

I'm seeing some lists containing games from only the last decade. I feel old.

Anyway, my top 10 off the top of my head (I might miss some things but whatever, it will be the games that come to mind). In no particular order:

• Deus Ex
  • Prey (2017)
  • Half Life 2
  • Elden Ring
  • Gran Turismo 2 (there have been better racing games and sims since but this one cemented my love for racing)
  • Metal Gear Solid
  • Final Fantasy VIII
  • Morrowind (oblivion a close behind for this place)
  • Arcanum (if you don't know what this is, it's time to find out)
  • Divinity Original Sin 2
Bonus spots because I have to mention them:
  • Resident Evil 2 (the original)
  • Silent Hill
  • PGR4 (best arcade racer of all time IMO)
  • Lost Odyssey (narrowly missed out to FF VIII on the main list)
  • Diablo 2/Grim Dawn (best 2 arpgs of their respective eras, can't pick them apart for different reasons).
  • Hitman trilogy (the recent one)
  • Pathologic 2

And here is me telling the IGN to get fucked after giving Prey 2017 an undeserving 4/10 for reasons outlined in that post and thread:

It's pretty simply really. Your guy said it himself, so I will quote it again:

http://me.ign.com/en/ps4/125928/news/a-response-to-bethesdas-review-copies-policy

He got hit with a technical roadblock, became resentful about it and lashed out with a 4/10. So like I said in the post you quoted, why don't you ask him if he's resentful towards the fact that he didn't get an early review copy, and then got hit with a roadblock while "racing to get a review up while its still relevant on Google and YouTube". The game itself is supposed to be reviewed and not take into account politics surrounding the environment that you find youself having to review the game in.

If you encounter a bug while reviewing a game it is your duty as professionals to figure out how widespread the bug is before deciding how much weight you're going to give to it. While this bug is game ending, it doesn't appear to be widespread judging by impressions here, on steam and from other reviews of the PC version of game. Further to that, a patch addressing the very issue was released on the day the review went live. But yet that isn't event taken into account nor is it even touched on in the review. In its current state, the review is misleading.

And for what it's worth, no, I'm not accusing him of making the save bug up. So please, save the evidence, I never suggested as such.

But hey, he wanted to raise a giant red flag. I'd say it was quite successful to be honest, many people will find it difficult to take his reviews and your website seriously anymore. I hope you guys like Internet firefighting.

And this is the hardware I could play this piece of shit (redfall) on if I so wished and I can guarantee it will run the game better than any of the fools simping for and defending this:

tP6C9F7.png

However, it would be disservice to my hardware in forcing it to render and process this crap. I also refuse to pump up any sales/engagement numbers - they do not deserve to be rewarded for what has been produced (sorry not sorry for having standards), I've seen and heard enough. This is not the standard that I've come to expect from Arkane, nor do I want this to be the benchmark for them going forward ("oh, at least it's better than Redfall").

The no standards crew are truly the worst group of people that are involved in this medium (or any entertainment medium for that matter). What these attitudes result in is many a great studio and individual lowering the standards for the work they are willing to produce despite them having once strived for (and reached/exceeded) greatness. They were once studios who only sought to produce excellence but now they are more than willing to produce crap. Why and how does that happen? Because at one point in time, we didn't demand better, we accepted and excused work that is not of the standard we had come to expect up until that point. Everything gets dragged down by you, look in the mirror.

Both Xbox and Arkane should and need to be held to higher standards than this. The former because of the financial resources available and the latter because of the talent and innovation they have demonstrated and delivered for decades.

Last edited:

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Why and how does that happen? Because at one point in time, we didn't demand better, we accepted and excused work that is not of the standard we had come to expect up until that point. Everything gets dragged down by you, look in the mirror.

Both Xbox and Arkane should and need to be held to higher standards than this. The former because of the financial resources available and the latter because of the talent and innovation they have demonstrated and delivered for decades.
I've actually never played an Arkane game prior to this because I don't really buy FPS games. So it's literally impossible for me to have influenced the development of Redfall by enjoying something prior to its release. Is the theory that I liked a different AA game and that is what ruined Redfall? Which games did I like that ruined gaming exactly? It must have happened a few years prior to this release for the effect to kick in.

azertydu91

Hard to Kill
Maybe you are right I had him ignored for so long, I couldn't quite remember how he was maybe I mixed him with bernd ... This one was insulting for sure.
Other than that I'm not against a little propaganda when it is not too crazy or is just fun.Like our own Riky and BO, sure they might be arguing in bad faith sometimes but most of the time it is fun.But senjutsu was constant crazy therories and conspiracy of everything.

Last edited:

GHG

I've actually never played an Arkane game prior to this because I don't really buy FPS games. So it's literally impossible for me to have influenced the development of Redfall by enjoying something prior to its release. Is the theory that I liked a different AA game and that is what ruined Redfall?

The games Arkane typically make are not "FPS games". At this point I could be curt, but I'll refrain and simply state that you should play their previous work starting with dark messiah of might and magic if possible (if not then dishonored). You will then understand what I mean by my first sentence.

Which brings me nicely to my next point - you clearly don't have to be playing and defending Redfall so what exactly is going on here? By your own admission you don't really buy "fps games", so why are you wasting your time with this when it's pretty much the only game they have ever made that is exactly that without anything else present that went into their previous work? And why would you opt to play this over their previous work when all are of much better quality and you have access to pretty much all of them on gamepass?

Make it make sense.

Which games did I like that ruined gaming exactly? It must have happened a few years prior to this release for the effect to kick in.

Based on what you've demonstrated regarding this game, probably all of them.

Last edited:

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Based on what you've demonstrated regarding this game, probably all of them.
So you have no answer. Before I move on from this, let's just highlight the fact that your whole theory that supposedly justifies your bullying and arrogant attitude is based on this theory that makes literally no sense. When pushed back even the slightest bit, you just throw out a generalized bullshit non-answer that says nothing.

Well good, because your whole entire premise was ridiculous and it was impossible to answer sanely. If you can come up with the specific games I played that ruined gaming and led to the downfall of Arkane, let us all know. Otherwise just leave me alone because you're confidently repeating complete crap that makes no sense.

The games Arkane typically make are not "FPS games". At this point I could be curt, but I'll refrain and simply state that you should play their previous work starting with dark messiah of might and magic if possible (if not then dishonored). You will then understand what I mean by my first sentence.

Which brings me nicely to my next point - you clearly don't have to be playing and defending Redfall so what exactly is going on here? By your own admission you don't really buy "fps games", so why are you wasting your time with this when it's pretty much the only game they have ever made that is exactly that without anything else present that went into their previous work? And why would you opt to play this over their previous work when all are of much better quality and you have access to pretty much all of them on gamepass?

Make it make sense.
I know the general style of what they make. I intend to play them all since they're on GP. Have Deathloop installed and I know Dishonored are their best ones.

I'm playing Redfall because I wanted to try it out. I like vampires. Turns out the game is a decent mid-tier AA shooter with a lot of issues. I'm having fun with it despite some bugs and definite lack of optimization graphically, and I'll be finished in time for Zelda.

Last edited:

kyussman

I've actually never played an Arkane game prior to this because I don't really buy FPS games. So it's literally impossible for me to have influenced the development of Redfall by enjoying something prior to its release. Is the theory that I liked a different AA game and that is what ruined Redfall? Which games did I like that ruined gaming exactly? It must have happened a few years prior to this release for the effect to kick in.
I would highly recommend the Dishonored games and Prey.While there are certainly guns in Prey I still wouldn't call it an FPS.....and I've never fired a shot in any of the Dishonored games,they are immersive sims that give you a great deal of freedom to approach the various game scenarios as you see fit.All great games.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
I would highly recommend the Dishonored games and Prey.While there are certainly guns in Prey I still wouldn't call it an FPS.....and I've never fired a shot in any of the Dishonored games,they are immersive sims that give you a great deal of freedom to approach the various game scenarios as you see fit.All great games.
I'm definitely going to try them all. I forgot about Prey as well. Looking forward to it.

GHG

So you have no answer.

This is far from the first time that we've been here with you coming to the grand defence of some mediocre/shit game, and it's always gamepass/xbox releases. Coincidence? I think not.

I'm glad you liked my quip though.

Are your expectations really not any higher than this for the service and platform as a whole?

Well good, because your whole entire premise was ridiculous and it was impossible to answer sanely. If you can come up with the specific games I played that ruined gaming and led to the downfall of Arkane, let us all know.

If you didn't notice that response you quoted was not directed specifically at you, nor was it a specific statement regarding any "downfall of Arkane". It was a paragraph demonstrating how these things transpire and what leads to the rot setting in. If you want me to make it specific to you (because you seem to think everything I post is about you - it's not), any shit/average game that's been plopped out by Microsoft and/or released on gamepass that you've defended will have directly contributed to their decision to release the game in this state.

And moving forwards? You don't want to see it, but in defending their current "work" (I say that loosely) here you are creating a negative feedback loop upon which any of their future work can be built upon, not only for them but for Microsoft games Studios (and gamepass) as a whole.

Imagine opting to play this over Dishonored or Prey when time is constant regardless of what you play. Imagine giving them feedback and pumping "engagement" numbers for shit games instead of any of the good games that happen to be on the service. Could never be me.

Last edited:

Punished Miku

Gold Member
This is far from the first time that we've been here with you coming to the grand defence of some mediocre/shit game, and it's always gamepass/xbox releases. Coincidence? I think not.
Which games?

And I was extremely into Wanted: Dead this year. It's not on GP. Has literally nothing to do with GP unless you are pushing your usual conspiracy secret agent bullshit again. Oh right, you are. Just leave me alone or report me to the mods. Not worth the effort to talk to you about anything when you're this out there, stubborn, arrogant, self-centered and delusional - and most of all just consistently inaccurate over and over and impervious to factual correction.

Last edited:

Giallo Corsa

Gold Member
I'm definitely going to try them all. I forgot about Prey as well. Looking forward to it.

See Miku, you don't have to brother, in contrast to what most people say, I always found Arkane and its games to be incredibly overhyped 😁 🤣
Also : their games - on consoles at least - were...not necessarily trainwrecks like Redfall but flawed in the form of having bad aiming controls (input lag/weird acceleration curves), not running all that well and generally speaking, I've always found their MAD-like magazine art-direction/esthetics weird and ugly...

Dishonored 1 was actually cool (never managed to finish it though and I played it on 3 different platforms), Dishonored 2 was bad on consoles performance and controls/aiming-wise, Prey...I put about 20 hours in it and just dropped it all together since i found the whole thing incredibly boring for a lack of a better word, its esthetics nothing special etc etc...
As for Deathloop...I lasted about 1 hour when I tried in on Gamepass a couple of months ago when I still had my XSX.

Maybe I have shit taste or maybe I just don't like Arkane games or, maybe, I'm not their target demographic, what I will say though is that - always IMO - it's an incredibly overrated company with mediocre products/output that cater to a specific and niche demographic (nothing wrong with that).

Not being a fan of their work, I can't even imagine giving Redfall a go/going through the trouble of actually installing it, it really appears to be a huge misfire on their part.

Cheers

PS : also gave Arx Fatalis a go back in the OG Xbox days, the atmosphere was good but it was another Arkane game that didn't manage to grab my attention.

Last edited:

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
Whats funny about highly projective clown takes like this is that you clearly have no idea.

And here is me telling the IGN to get fucked after giving Prey 2017 an undeserving 4/10 for reasons outlined in that post and thread:

Snipping the rest because. . .yikes. REDFALL being a bad game doesn't mean your "man or woman of the people" schtick is any less grating.

I'll say it again, 71 pages talking about a video game being bad and not a single thread on what the industry is actually doing well (CASSETTE BEASTS, AOW4 and the just released DARKEST DUNGEON 2). But sure, a wild misfire from a typically solid studio that - shock and horror - some folks are able to find the joy in is the first seal being broken (yes, your rhetoric is THAT batty).

. . .like, the success (and failure) of Adam Sandler movies didn't stop Christopher Nolan making DUNKIRK.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
See Miku, you don't have to brother, in contrast to what most people say, I always found Arkane and it's games to be incredibly overhyped 😁 🤣
Also : their games - on consoles at least - were...not necessarily trainwrecks like Redfall but flawed in the form of having bad aiming controls (input lag/weird acceleration curves), not running all that well and generally speaking, I've always their MAD-like magazine art-direction kinda ugly...

Dishonored 1 was actually cool (never managed to finish it though and I played it on 3 different platforms), Dishonored 2 was bad on consoles performance and aiming wise, Prey...I put about 20 hours on it and just dropped it since I've found the whole thing incredibly boring for a lack of a better word, its esthetics nothing special etc etc...
As for Deathloop...I lasted about 1 hour when I tried in on Gamepass a couple of.months ago when I still had my XSX.

Maybe I have shit taste or maybe I just don't like Arkane games or, maybe, I'm not their target demographic, what I will say though is that - always IMO - it's and incredibly overrated company with mediocre products/output that cater to a specific and niche demographic (nothing wrong with that).

Not being a fan of their work, I can't even imagine giving Redfall a go/going through the trouble of actually installing it, it really appears to be a huge misfire on their part.

Cheers
I personally don't think 1st person is very good for spatial awareness, or stealth. But I picked the stealth guy in Redfall and it's fun in a much more casual way. I'll give it a shot. I wanted to try the new one before going back to older games. Appreciate the info though! I'll go in with an open mind some day and see what I think.

GHG

Snipping the rest because. . .yikes. REDFALL being a bad game doesn't mean your "man or woman of the people" schtick is any less grating.

I'm not "man and woman of the people", far from it. But it doesn't take much to demonstrate how all of this handwaving is a slippery slope that we've encountered many times across this industry. It's not much to say that people should be demanding more for $70. It's not much to say Arkane should be producing better. It's not much to say Microsoft should be producing better.

If you told me 3 years ago that Microsoft would open up their cheque book and have Arkane make a AAA game for them this is not what I or anyone else who has appreciated Arkane's previous work would expect.

I'll say it again, 71 pages talking about a video game being bad and not a single thread on what the industry is actually doing well (CASSETTE BEASTS, AOW4 and the just released DARKEST DUNGEON 2). But sure, a wild misfire from a typically solid studio that - shock and horror - some folks are able to find the joy in is the first seal being broken (yes, your rhetoric is THAT batty).

That's a different issue entirely. This place has never been one to discuss more niche/indie (or PC focused) games. Mainstream, console and heavily marketed games however? They get plenty of discussion here, both good and bad.

. . .like, the success (and failure) of Adam Sandler movies didn't stop Christopher Nolan making DUNKIRK.

No, this is like Nolan releasing a movie that is of the style and standard of a Sandler movie and then people saying "this is fine". You think Nolan is still going to bother with his painstaking attention to detail from that point forward?

Last edited:

GHG

Which games?

And I was extremely into Wanted: Dead this year. It's not on GP. Has literally nothing to do with GP unless you are pushing your usual conspiracy secret agent bullshit again. Oh right, you are. Just leave me alone or report me to the mods. Not worth the effort to talk to you about anything when you're this out there, stubborn, arrogant, self-centered and delusional - and most of all just consistently inaccurate over and over and impervious to factual correction.

Unfortunately, this is the pattern my friend:

This is definitely an interesting release. It has some clear flaws, but there's also elements of brilliance at times as well. I'm saying through it now and having a good time. Definitely glad I didn't drop it, but you have to have a high tolerance for unoptimal game design at times. Seems like a small team reaching for high ambitions but doesn't fully stick the landing in multiple areas.

1. The double jump feels so weird because its not a jump, but a grapple onto the ceiling. Very odd.
2. The puzzles are rough.
3. Accessibility features save the game. Turn everything on easy. The combat isn't good enough to worry about mastering it. The puzzles are obtuse and not good, but switching it to auto complete isn't bad either. It basically makes every puzzle a key instead. You still have to find the key and bring it to the right place, but then you don't have to fiddle with that conundrum machine. Exploration on easy just adds icons to the map that are basic features in all metroidvainias. Should be the standard setting honestly.

The game really shines in art design. Some small parts of level design are also surprising but I won't spoil. Also enjoying the story now as well. Its told almost entirely in notes so read the items. The characters and voice acting are also cool. The companion obviously, but even the tattooist just have a cool vibe.

The game reminds me of Trek to Yomi. Some areas are a home run and other areas are super rough.

tlVNuoH.png

If you want better (maybe you don't?) then you need to demand better.

Last edited:

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Unfortunately, this is the pattern my friend:
You literally haven't named what games after I asked multiple times. Not even asking for the pattern, just any example and you can't do it.

I listed a counter example not on GP from this year that got savaged in reviews as bad as Redfall; called Wanted: Dead. Just drop it. My god. Just because you say something doesn't mean it's accurate or true. I was also into Sonic Frontiers last year, also not on GP. Maybe I just enjoy AA games and it has nothing to do with being a secret agent?

And we're not friends man. I don't tell you what to think, what you're allowed to play, what you're allowed to do without bullying and verbal abuse and conspiracy theory accusations. You do all of that, and it's extremely aggravating and drags down the forum.

Last edited:

GHG

You literally haven't named what games after I asked multiple times. Not even asking for the pattern, just any example and you can't do it.

I listed a counter example not on GP from this year that got savaged in reviews as bad as Redfall; called Wanted: Dead. Just drop it. My god. Just because you say something doesn't mean it's accurate or true. I was also into Sonic Frontiers last year, also not on GP. Maybe I just enjoy AA games and it has nothing to do with being a secret agent?

The reality is that you can go to any thread for any mediocre game that's released on gamepass recently and nine times out of ten you'll be there saying "I'm having fun" or "it's fine", or words to that effect, and it even extends to when there are abundantly clear performance issues on fixed hardware. Exhibit A produced above.

Exhibit B:

All I heard about Ghostwire on Xbox is that its fundamentally broken and stutters. Played it for hours last night on Series S and think it looks awesome.
ZbzQzKc.png

Exhibit C:

The game is one of the best of the year. Truly unique and worth playing. Fun combat. Fun characters. Fun Easter eggs.
tPvSOkU.png

Exhibit D:

Don't sleep on Gungrave. Its a legit real action game. Fun as fuck.
lBtwYsZ.png

Need I go on? You asked for examples regarding your low standards in relation to recent gamepass releases, so I'm giving them to you.

And we're not friends man. I don't tell you what to think, what you're allowed to play, what you're allowed to do without bullying and verbal abuse. You do all of that, and it's extremely aggravating and drags down the forum.

Colloquial, in the truest sense of the word.

If you think I'm "verbally abusing" or "bullying" you by telling you that quite factually that your standards are low, Redfall is not a good game and does not need defending in any way then so be it. At that point it's really not my problem. Meanwhile:

You're a fucking psycho dude.

So take it from me, thicker skin might be necessary.

You took it upon yourself to come into the review thread where people are discussing the reviews (which happen to be overwhelmingly negative), and tell everyone they are wrong and that only your opinion should matter. If the discussions that have taken place in this thread were taking place in the redfall OT then I'd 100% understand but that's not been the case.

Last edited:

Punished Miku

Gold Member
The reality is that you can go to any thread for any mediocre game that's released on gamepass recently and nine times out of ten you'll be there saying "I'm having fun" or "it's fine", or words to that effect, and it even extends to when there are abundantly clear performance issues on fixed hardware. Exhibit A produced above.

Exhibit B:

ZbzQzKc.png

Exhibit C:

tPvSOkU.png

Exhibit D:

lBtwYsZ.png

Need I go on? You asked for examples regarding your low standards in relation to recent gamepass releases, so I'm giving them to you.

Colloquial, in the truest sense of the word.

If you think I'm "verbally abusing" or "bullying" you by telling you that quite factually that your standards are low, this is not a good game and does not need defending in any way then so be it. At that point it's really not my problem. Meanwhile:

So take it from me, thicker skin might be necessary.
My standards are the same as most mainstream reviews.

I'm currently rating Redfall a 6/10, but need to finish the last 40% of the game.

I'm not done with Ghostwire yet, but it's an 8/10 game but gets pretty repetitive. By the end I'll probably dock it on that one point, putting it at a 7 or 7.5. It's currently 75 on MC. Literally pointed it out right here.

https://www.neogaf.com/threads/what-game-are-you-currently-playing.1461074/post-267849406

Gungrave is as AA as it gets, but it's fun. I didn't overrate it at all. I told people to try it if they like old action games, because that's what it plays like. This is what I said about Gungrave. Said it's got issues and recommend it on a deep sale. At the end I compared it to games from 20 years ago.

https://www.neogaf.com/threads/who-here-has-played-gungrave-g-o-r-e.1649035/#post-267253435

Everything I said is literally identical with the core scores everyone is agreeing on. I'm just able to get a little more nuanced and see the bright side on many games. Just because something isn't perfectly polished doesn't mean it's not worth playing. My scores tend to be 100% normal and fair, while acknowledging flaws openly. Not hiding anything.

Does this pass your test? Have you yet realized how psycho it is to even think you have a right to tell others what to think? Fucking weird man.

Last edited:

avin

Punished Miku Punished Miku , for what it's worth, I enjoy reading your assessments of games, including overall bad games that turn out to have some redeeming qualities. It seems Gamepass allows that at a relatively low cost of engagement, and that's a good thing. For myself, I couldn't get past the first couple of hours with Redfall, but I'm still looking forward to your assessment of it when you're done.

avin

Last edited:

GHG

Everything I said is literally identical with the core scores everyone is agreeing on. I'm just able to get a little more nuanced and see the bright side on many games. Just because something isn't perfectly polished doesn't mean it's not worth playing.

That's not my argument here, far from it. But with good games (both current and past) in abundance (even from this very same studio (!)), why bother to waste your time and money on sub-par (and in some cases, clearly unfinished) experiences? And it's one thing to opt to spend your time on those games (that can happen) but it's another entirely to defend them.

We are not talking about some "rough around the edges" game here in Redfall, we are quite literally talking about one of the worst AAA releases of all time.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/paulta...t-reviewed-games-of-all-time/?sh=c9c93e82171f

Ilo5aLI.png

So what is there even to be said other than it shouldn't have released in this state and that it requires open heart surgery in order to be fixed?

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Having fun =/= making fun.

Food Eating GIF by Albert Heijn

71 pages and I still can't get enough.
Now I want spaghetti, hold the side of crazy tho.

The no standards crew are truly the worst group of people that are involved in this medium (or any entertainment medium for that matter).
The race to the bottom conditioning we all talked about with these types of services. We are witnessing the progression, or regression rather, in real time.

If we only had other streaming services, like the actual Netflix of Netflix to draw a correlation from over the years until competitors forced them to step it up a little.

It seems Gamepass allows that at a relatively low cost of engagement
Precisely.

Last edited:

Punished Miku

Gold Member
That's not my argument here, far from it. But with good games (both current and past) in abundance (even from this very same studio (!)), why bother to waste your time and money on sub-par (and in some cases, clearly unfinished) experiences? And it's one thing to opt to spend your time on those games (that can happen) but it's another entirely to defend them.

We are not talking about some "rough around the edges" game here in Redfall, we are quite literally talking about one of the worst AAA releases of all time.
I don't think it's one of the worst AAA experiences of all time, at all. Insane exaggeration. '

1st of all I don't even think it's AAA. And I don't think Arkane has ever even made a AAA game. I don't think this would even qualify as AAA last gen.
2nd, I've played far worse games than this on multiple levels.

What I play and what I spend my time on is my business. I can talk about whatever I feel like playing and you can worry about yourself.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I don't think it's one of the worst AAA experiences of all time, at all. Insane exaggeration. '

1st of all I don't even think it's AAA. And I don't think Arkane has ever even made a AAA game. I don't think this would even qualify as AAA last gen.

What I play and what I spend my time on is my business. I can talk about whatever I feel like playing and you can worry about yourself.
MS sure was marketing the piss out of this as if it were AAA. I've never seen AA get so many "fly gaming "journalists" out to preview the piss out of this game every other month leading up to launch."

Punished Miku

Gold Member
MS sure was marketing the piss out of this as if it were AAA. I've never seen AA get so many "fly gaming "journalists" out to preview the piss out of this game every other month leading up to launch."
I personally think it should've been a $40-50 game. I don't rate AAA off marketing. Just production value, team size and overall budget.

You can rate it however you want of course. Just look at the character models. Literally looks like they're from The Good Life, an indie game. On no planet is this a AAA game, not that it really matters either way.

Last edited:

GHG

It's not an insane exaggeration. That's exactly where it's landed in terms of both critic reviews and verifiable consumer reviews.

That's not the flex you think it is.

Indeed, so why come to the review thread to complain about everyone else's opinions?

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I personally think it should've been a $40-50 game. I don't rate AAA off marketing. Just production value, team size and overall budget.

You can rate it however you want of course.
Yes, those are every bit as important, but marketing is a massive part of what AAA is, hence third party marketing deals on AAA games. MS was treating this, and promoting this like any other AAA game. We even had the faithful on here and across the twittersphere calling this aNoThEr gOtY cOnTeNdEr™ during the well promoted big site preview period.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
It's not an insane exaggeration. That's exactly where it's landed in terms of both critic reviews and verifiable consumer reviews.

That's not the flex you think it is.

Indeed, so why come to the review thread to complain about everyone else's opinions?
You literally don't know if its an exaggeration because you haven't played it. Apparently you never even play any bad games at all, so I don't know how you'd know anything about what the worst game is.

GHG

You literally don't know if its an exaggeration because you haven't played it. Apparently you never even play any bad games at all, so I don't know how you'd know anything about what the worst game is.

I'm referencing the people who have played the game. That's hundreds of critics and 1522 people on Steam (at the time of writing):

uLLBl9r.png

So the people who have played it are exaggerating? Where this game has landed as a result of over a thousand opinions is an "exaggeration"?

Last edited:

Nah dude, it's exaggeration.

I am not playing it cause I am waiting for it to be fixed.

But there are few aspects where it shines.

Atmosphere is 10/10
Gunplay is 8/10
Music is 9/10
Level design is 9/10.

It doesn't come together as a very solid product on a whole, due to unfinished nature.

But you can have a fun in the game if you played it. I have decided to wait till they fix it. But I was getting urge to get back to it and play some more.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
I'm referencing the people who have played the game. That's hundreds of critics and 1522 people on Steam (at the time of writing):

uLLBl9r.png

So the people who have played it are exaggerating? Where this game has landed as a result of over a thousand opinions is an "exaggeration"?
I'm likely to score it a 6/10. If you want to get into other specific details about each review, I can comment on if I agree.

On Wanted: Dead, I definitely think it's a massive exaggeration and half the reviewers were totally full of shit. Slate gave it a 0/10 even. Sometimes people are full of shit, but you can't even have an opinion on that if you haven't played it. Doesn't mean I'm objectively right, means our personal opinions can sometimes differ. Still better than someone who hasn't even played it and acts like they know what they're talking about.

Just hilarious to see everyone on NeoGAF now argue that reviews are only done by experts who are never wrong. In this case, I didn't even say they're wrong about the score. You're just triggered and argue about everything.

People still defend this game and think it actually deserves a 6?
It should have been delayed or cancelled judging from the broken AI alone, let alone all it's other issues.
If it wasn't for low standards, some of ya'll would have no standards.

Reading this thread is almost as cringe as the game.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
People still defend this game and think it actually deserves a 6?
It should have been delayed or cancelled judging from the broken AI alone, let alone all it's other issues.
If it wasn't for low standards, some of ya'll would have no standards.

Reading this thread is almost as cringe as the game.
After seeing the endless videos online of the AI and broken state of the enemies, environmental objects that all blow up everywhere straight out of the late PS2 early PS360 era, definitely in the 4 to 5 realm.

After seeing the endless videos online of the AI and broken state of the enemies, environmental objects that all blow up everywhere straight out of the late PS2 early PS360 era, definitely in the 4 to 5 realm.
Games like Forspoken deserve a 7. If anyone thinks Redfall deserves a score anywhere close to Forspoken you gotta be crazy. ha. imo it's a 4 at best that should have just been scrapped.

GHG

Just hilarious to see everyone on NeoGAF now argue that reviews are only done by experts who are never wrong. In this case, I didn't even say they're wrong about the score. You're just triggered and argue about everything.

Who is arguing this?

Personally I tend to look out for the outlets that I find to be trustworthy and tend to align with my tastes:

Steam reviews and then the following on youtube:

Easy Allies
Skill Up
Worth a buy

If it's a genre specific game in then also the following:

Fextralife (RPG games)

Gamermuscle/ Jimmy Broadbent/ Billy Strange Racing (racing games/sims)

Gameplay previews/let's plays to get a feel for games:

FightinCowboy (his tastes heavily align with mine)

All of the above who reviewed the game agree on one thing - it's irredeemable trash.

So taking that into consideration (along with all the other opinions, videos, steam reviews, etc out there), why should I waste my time and money? Because you and Sage said so? I think not.

Top Bottom