• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry: Redfall Xbox Series X/S - DF Tech Review - Big Issues And Unfulfilled Potential

Come on, now we are surprised that people are being polite and not using incendiary words or rage.
You can criticize something without being an asshole. People are so used to hyperbolized reaction that when someone is being civilized is out of order.

Also Cohh, expressed his disappointment in a civilized way. In this day and age, if you are not raging, you are classified as shill.
This game is bad, very very bad....and you can say that without raging.

His attitude towards the whole thing is great and he’s spot on. Drop the game, move on and let it be a lesson.

Topher

Gold Member
Looks like Arkane have a lot of work to do, hopefully they get the time to do it. Played about 13 hours between Series X and S. Plus an hour on PC, pretty impressed how the Series S version holds up considering all the issues, 1440p and solid framerate.

I'm about 5 hours in. Like I said in the other thread, I think there is a decent game here underneath all the issues. Needed a few more weeks in the oven.

Last edited:

Alebrije

I noted the actual Arkane Austin team is not the same that did previous games...Basically Arkane is a shell of what it was , at least Austin.

This could be the reason of this game performance.

YCoCg

How are people getting the impression John went easy on them? He spent soo much time showing the abysmal texture issues and joked around with the rubbish AI, if it's about the comment "It's not the Xbox hardwares fault" then boo hoo, he's right, loading games from an SSD should NOT take that long to stream in a texture, the game feels like it's capped at 5400rpm hard drive speed.

Lysandros

John hates Xbox. Probably just doesn't want to kick them while they are down, but that's the best time to kick someone.
That is why he awards XSX victories left and right due to VRR and posted his 'very objective' comparison list which show how XSX has won much more comparisons against PS5? He often sings the praise of XSX hardware and even here is quite gentle even defensive about it and that is fine. All this to say that his behaviour doesn't seem to support "the Xbox hate" at all.

Why are the cut scenes comics, did they not have enough time or money to make real cut scenes? This release is embarassing. Xbox and bethesda should be fucking ashamed. Lol compare this to horizon burning shores, its literally and entire console generation behind
I actually like this. We are playing a videogame, and if the game is already bad they should clearly not put time and money on cutscenes.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
"It's not the Xbox hardware booehoee" They would never say that if it was a PS5 game. In fact, they would question the PS5 hardware.

The real persecution complex was the friends we made along the way. :messenger_grinning_sweat:

No, seriously, half the stuff about "John doesn't hold back criticizing PS5" is just straight up tales out of some of you guys' butts here. Just look up his Forspoken feature, a game that drops as low as 20 FPS and 720p in DRS. Point out to me in the feature where he cited the PS5 hardware as being the issue there.

Mr Moose

That is why he awards XSX victories left and right due to VRR and posted his 'very objective' comparison list which show how XSX has won much more comparisons against PS5? He often sings the praise of XSX hardware and even here is quite gentle even defensive about it and that is fine. All this to say that his behaviour doesn't seem to support "the Xbox hate" at all.
aohTd3m.png

Last edited:

Banned

what a fucking dumb ass ignorant and/or intellectually dishonest post you made there... of course expected, but still...

if VRR helps to make a game more playable he points it out... SHOCKER, it's almost like it's his job. and your lamppost* brain might shortcircut from hearing this, but, Elden Ring plays better on Series X if you have a good TV 🤯

Lysandros Lysandros live reaction to the previous statement:
Luke Skywalker Reaction GIF

and he posted said list because people like you, called him a Sony fanboy that only talks about the positives of PlayStation and the negatives of Xbox, due to old NeoGaf posts he made.

it's lampposts like you that not only made him leave Neogaf, but also made Digital Foundry stop comparing console versions too in depth anymore aside from obvious differences.
because as soon as they do show interesting details the fuckface brigade from the "winning" system come along and use it to console war in their comments and on twitter, completely failing to understand that version differences can simply be oversights by the developers.

and as soon as they give specific resolution numbers people shit on them when another channel posts different numbers, failing to understand, with their little lamppost brains, that counting arbitrary resolutions is never exact, and especially not if the resolution is dynamic, and dynamic resolutions don't always follow logical patterns, so you can't really hunt for lowest and highest numbers if the engine has a setup where the GPU is rarely the bottlekneck and so framedrops dont coincide with resolution drops.
so nowadays they simply say "typical resolution" or "could be dynamic" in every test so that lampposts like you can't yell at them if they missed that the shittily coded game they tested drops resolution randomly due to a broken scaling system.

*disclaimer, I used the word lamppost here, because I'm trying to be nice 😊

CGNoire

The amount of "word play" John rolls out in defense of the graphics in the beginning minutes is the reason I just cant take DF seriously anymore.

Really Jon?.....that brick wall texture looked "fine at a glance"?....
....really ...in 2023?

CGNoire

Come on, now we are surprised that people are being polite and not using incendiary words or rage.
You can criticize something without being an asshole. People are so used to hyperbolized reaction that when someone is being civilized is out of order.

Also Cohh, expressed his disappointment in a civilized way. In this day and age, if you are not raging, you are classified as shill.
This game is bad, very very bad....and you can say that without raging.

Its about not willfully distorting reality by wearing kids gloves. Shits gaslighting at this point.

Unless their technical staff left they probably should have used CryEngine. They did some pretty smart stuff with Prey's open world and now they're streaming basic bitch textures for 20 seconds. Grim.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Unless their technical staff left they probably should have used CryEngine. They did some pretty smart stuff with Prey's open world and now they're streaming basic bitch textures for 20 seconds. Grim.

Prey had "open ended" game play, but most of it was connected by corridors, it didn't have anywhere near the kind of open world this game has. It was far more curated and bespoke in its creation and execution.

Last edited:
Woof, game needed to bake for a bit longer. The drop to 20 fps looking at fire or traversal stutters, texture loading, weird lighting artifacts, just bad. Ai is just broken! What were Microsoft expecting?

Lysandros

No it’s true. Sure this whole shitshow of a game has mostly nothing to do with these consoles, but DF loves to defend the 12TF narrative to this day and still question the PS5 hardware in comparisons.
They are defending it even better than Microsoft i would say, unlike Microsoft they are not backtracking from their position.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
I love how DF always carefully choose their words when covering or criticizing Xbox stuff compared to PlayStation or Nintendo.
I don't know, they in general have this "nice" attitude, which makes it really fucking boring to watch, so I no longer doing that and instead, reading adamsapple adamsapple posts. I just need some edge, I will repost this as I believe more people know about the guy, the better, not just a technical analysis, but something really on point:

Top Bottom