• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry Tech Review - Exoprimal: PlayStation 5 vs Xbox Series X/S

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
- Unlike prior RE engine titles, the dinosaur animation is *not* reduced at distance.
- Low quality RE engine SSR strikes again
- Cut-scenes use better reflections but DF are not sure if it uses RT or just higher quality
- The game reaches its large hordes of dinos by making some cut-backs like the basic dinos not casting any shadows

- PS5|SX: 2160p, Series S: 1440p
- Checker board rendering likely
- Series S has some blurrier textures compared to PS5|SX
- Shadows exhibit some blur/grain on the edges on all versions which can look off-putting

- PS5|SX drop to mid 50s in combat with more pronounced drops in cut-scenes. DF thinks 30 FPS cut-scene cap would have been better
- Series S targets the same performance but has worse drops compared to either PS5|SX with bigger drops to high 30s in cut-scenes.
- VRR displays solve most of the issues but on non VRR displays, the lack of consistency is noticeable.

- DF thinks Capcom should make some cut-backs to reach performance consistency like drop resolution and remove the poor SSR entirely.

Last edited:

GHG

- Series S is the same but drops more frames in game play and cut-scenes compared to the above

8 minutes 18 seconds in:

"Series S sees performance degrade further, exoprimal is dropping frames here more often than not, with substantially compromised performance in general gameplay, expect a readout in the 50's and 40's with plenty of judder"

Not sure how that constitutes to being "the same"?

adamsapple

8 minutes 18 seconds in:

"Series S sees performance degrade further, exoprimal is dropping frames here more often than not, with substantially compromised performance in general gameplay, expect a readout in the 50's and 40's with plenty of judder"

Not sure how that constitutes to being "the same"?

the same 60 fps target, i'll rephrase that.

Reactions: GHG

intbal

I'm glad that there are games for all types, but this particular game combines everything I hate the most into one hideous title.
About the only thing that could make it worse is if there were QTE glory kills.
But if this is your kinda thing, I'm happy for you.

Lokaum D+

Kyle Mooney Snl GIF by Saturday Night Live

not the analysis, but the game

Last edited:

Disco Dave

Fuck Digital Foundry. And thanks to adamsapple adamsapple for always providing the summary. Not giving those bastards a view.
I left a comment of the latest DF weekly telling them I was super excited to see John and Alexs coverage of Hogwarts Legacy once it hits Switch. Its one of the only AAA releases that scales from Switch to high end PC and everything in between.

They deleted my comment.

Fuck DF and fuck their politics.

Stuart360

Really surprised Capcom have released a game like this after what happened with Umbrella Corps and all the shit they got for that POS.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
I mean... what are we doing here?! This looks fucking awesome.... except it's not single player. eeeeh... fuck.

RT in REngine is terrble hog and their SSR is always so broken beyond repair, I don't get it. How hard it is to copy the image and flip it onto the damn floor lol. We are doing this for forever.
REngine is fantastic otherwise. It carries some of that Lost Planet mtframework feel.

Last edited:
Really surprised Capcom have released a game like this after what happened with Umbrella Corps and all the shit they got for that POS.
Umbrella Corps played terribly though? This game is pretty polished and plays really well, it’s just too expensive.

A better comparison would have been RE multiplayer game that shipped with RE 3 Remake.

Last edited:

MarkMe2525

Gotta love a good Digital Foundry VS. video. I haven't watched it yet, but I look forward to doing so. Afterwards, I can come back here and argue.

Last edited:

adamsapple

Gotta love a good Digital Foundry VS. video. I haven't watched it yet, but I look forward to doing so. Afterwards, I can come back here and argue.

Not much to argue, the PS5 and SX versions are practically identical with Series S having the kind of reduction you'd expect. Nothing controversial here.

The internet is adamant about shitting on this game. I'm good with what I've played of it but can't blame people when this is super light on content right now and there is already a Battle Pass and 2 different skin bundles for the exosuits. You do get some good skins by simply playing the game but it's obvious monetization will be aggressive with this title.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
I've finished watching the analysis... christ... what a downer of a video. Olivier sounds like he is dying.
Game is 4k60 and DF is still bitching about some stupid stuff and one drop to 54fps... like seriously?! Who fucking cares.
Game looks super cool. I just dont play online games :(

Last edited:

bender

What time is it?
The internet is adamant about shitting on this game. I'm good with what I've played of it but can't blame people when this is super light on content right now and there is already a Battle Pass and 2 different skin bundles for the exosuits. You do get some good skins by simply playing the game but it's obvious monetization will be aggressive with this title.

From what I've read in previews and user impressions, the response is fairly positive to the game itself which is way more than I expected when the game was revealed. I can't wait to play it but I need to wrap up Bramble first which should be today.

Bojji

I've finished watching the analysis... christ... what a downer of a video. Olivier sounds like he is dying.
Game is 4k60 and DF is still bitching about some stupid stuff and one drop to 54fps... like seriously?! Who fucking cares.
Game looks super cool. I just dont play online games :(

It's not native 4k, half that.

DaGwaphics

Bullshit.... there has to be something we can argue over.

Edit: I bet it's much better to play using the Xbox controller.

Honestly, everything is better to play on the Xbox controller, symmetrical sticks suck. But, it's not really fair to single this game out for that. :messenger_winking_tongue:

So this one is just multi-player only?

Last edited:

adamsapple

Honestly, everything is better to play on the Xbox controller, symmetrical sticks suck. But, it's not really fair to single this game out for that. :messenger_winking_tongue:

So this one is just multi-player only?

For shooters, yes the Xbox pad has been objectively best in my experience. Especially first person aiming.

NoobSmog

The asymmetrical stick set up is just the objectively better design. Form and function wise, it just wipes the floor with the symmetric competition.
Yeah asymmetrical sticks are better because they go with humans asymmetrical thumbs.

/s

Top Bottom