• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Read Only Memories |OT| It's 20XX, The Rent in Neo-San Francisco is About to Explode

Epcott

Anyone know when this will be released for PS4 / Vita?

I had no idea this already released and I see it as an app on Amazon Fire TV for $8.99. I'd rather play it on a console (with possible cross buy), but I'm so tempted to get it.

wearemidboss

Neo Member
Hey @Epcott!

We just released on Amazon Fire TV, and we're going to be releasing Read Only Memories Type-M for iOS, Android and Apple TV in March.

J5nRJNH.png

We're coming out with Read Only Memories DX with voice acting, new puzzles and some other improvements for PS4, Vita and PC/Mac in the summer ...we'll have more info soon about what that will look like!

:D

zOsyD7j.gif

wearemidboss

Neo Member
@sixteen-bit

Funny you'd ask for that... I'd say....stay tuned around march/april ;)

@epcott

Thank you!!! Although you may not need to /triple/ dip once we announce how we'll handle upgrading existing users to DX! (although personally, I think the PS4 and Vita versions will be really cool...hoping we can do cross-buy with it!!!)

@chrominance

Not handing in the cache doesn't lock you into a bad ending, but it makes a later puzzle go to the default hardest setting, which, if you fail, does start to push you towards a bad ending....we're still futzing with that though!!!

wearemidboss

Neo Member
@brianmcdoogle

In regards to puzzles, we're working hard on making those better for DX...I think we were focused really hard on the story, and the puzzles are not up to the same standards we placed on making sure the world was really immersive. A lot of it just comes from inexperience -- once you play a puzzle so many times, you lose any frame of reference if its good or bad or hard or easy, and without an outside QA team, we really had no idea if they were any good, and now, watching twitch and lets plays, we def know we gotta improve them hardcore.

Totally understand your feelings on it being /good/ but not excellent... I feel the same way and I hope we can fix those small issues for DX to make the game be something really strong!

//SPOILERS//

With things like who killed Hayden... well, that will get explained far far better in DX. Some of the characters motivations in the game were a bit convoluted, and we didn't do the best job of explaining what really happened...I think we were hoping to keep it vague and mysterious, but its far far too vague and I feel like less than 5% of players actually understand what actually happened, which means we did a bad job of explaining it.

The scones thing is supposed to be really dumb though.

I think a lot of the issue with the story is pacing, becuase with stuff like Grace and the gender thing, its actually /not/ supposed to be political, but instead hopefully point the player towards Hayden actually being the true antagonist of the game, while Fairlight is simply a ruthless pragmatist, but...again, needs to be explained better!

I want to work through Jess a little more since she's straight and there's a few other straight characters that we don't...explore those feelings at all and I thought it'd be cool to look at.

All this feedback is SO helpful and I hope you'll follow the project as we hopefully get it to a much better place and get it from a 7-8 to a 9 for folks :D

<3 <3 <3

Edited in [ spoiler ] tags for you since it looks like there's some major stuff in there, lol.

Any update on cross-platform cloud saves? Mine is stranded on my Linux laptop at the moment....

wearemidboss

Neo Member
Edited in [ spoiler ] tags for you since it looks like there's some major stuff in there, lol.

Any update on cross-platform cloud saves? Mine is stranded on my Linux laptop at the moment....

Thank you! Still learning the NeoGAF platform :D

We actually just hired on a new engineer, so maybe she'll be able to tackle that. I know that originally that was looking a bit difficult via Steam...do you know any games that do that well so we can research? :D

wearemidboss

Neo Member
Is this ROM DX thing a free update or is it a seperate version we have to buy again?

We'll have more info about this in March/April when we announce...a BUNCH of stuff, but I don't think you'll be upset with how we plan to do it.

Some platforms, like...OUYA for example, may not be able to handle what we're doing, so I dont want to say anything definitively yet ;)

Johndoey

Banned
I am a ways into chapter two and I like the game well enough, but I just feel no real connection to the world or any of the characters so far. Everything is well designed and clearly a hell of a lot of love and effort have been put into this game, but everything strikes as a bit hollow so far. I'm only trying to solve the mystery because I know its my role, the world is not particularly interesting the normal mix of mega-corps, mechanical and genetic augmentation, and augmentation blow-back.

I like Turing quite a bit even though some of the conversations with it can drag on. None of the other characters stand enough to be worth mentioning so far. But even with that said, its a beautiful game and the humor (especially with the milk) is great and anyone who brings up Hassy is a hero in my book. Trying to phrase this properly. The subject matter is handled well on all fronts so far in every respect. This game has some dope casual musings on the nature of consciousness. My feelings are subject to change as I advance of course.

I hope this is mostly coherent and doesn't come across harsh on anything I do like the game.

@chrominance

Not handing in the cache doesn't lock you into a bad ending, but it makes a later puzzle go to the default hardest setting, which, if you fail, does start to push you towards a bad ending....we're still futzing with that though!!!

Oh hey, response! Good thing I decided to go back and redo that section, though my memory is foggy enough now that I can't really think of which puzzle you'd be referring to
unless it's Deckard in the maze, also man screw that maze

Great game, though. Looking forward to whatever it is you're announcing in a few months.

wearemidboss

Neo Member
Oh hey, response! Good thing I decided to go back and redo that section, though my memory is foggy enough now that I can't really think of which puzzle you'd be referring to
unless it's Deckard in the maze, also man screw that maze

Great game, though. Looking forward to whatever it is you're announcing in a few months.

Oh! The Glyph puzzle where you're getting the Parallax Big Blue source code, though...again, we'll be editing that pretty heavily :)

wearemidboss

Neo Member
I am a ways into chapter two and I like the game well enough, but I just feel no real connection to the world or any of the characters so far. Everything is well designed and clearly a hell of a lot of love and effort have been put into this game, but everything strikes as a bit hollow so far. I'm only trying to solve the mystery because I know its my role, the world is not particularly interesting the normal mix of mega-corps, mechanical and genetic augmentation, and augmentation blow-back.

I like Turing quite a bit even though some of the conversations with it can drag on. None of the other characters stand enough to be worth mentioning so far. But even with that said, its a beautiful game and the humor (especially with the milk) is great and anyone who brings up Hassy is a hero in my book. Trying to phrase this properly. The subject matter is handled well on all fronts so far in every respect. This game has some dope casual musings on the nature of consciousness. My feelings are subject to change as I advance of course.

I hope this is mostly coherent and doesn't come across harsh on anything I do like the game.

This all makes sense! We've been tweaking the characters pretty heavily for Read Only Memories DX to hopefully make them a little more lively, and I'm hoping with the addition of voice acting it'll help give the characters a little more life :)

I hope we can hopefully make the world much stronger for future visits to Neo-SF!

oggob

Oh! The Glyph puzzle where you're getting the Parallax Big Blue source code, though...again, we'll be editing that pretty heavily :)

Any consideration to have "Original" and "DX" version on the Vita releases, that way we can play it how it was originally designed also?

wearemidboss

Neo Member
Any consideration to have "Original" and "DX" version on the Vita releases, that way we can play it how it was originally designed also?

So, I do know that we're looking at allowing people to turn on/off voice acting, so there's a potential to also allow for an arranged vs. original version, and for anything like different/improved dialogue, we'd want that to remain in both versions since we want the canon to remain consistent but...

I think it really just depends on how wild we get with the redesign! If it starts really deviating from the original, you'll likely see a way to try both versions in the game :D

We actually just hired on a new engineer, so maybe she'll be able to tackle that. I know that originally that was looking a bit difficult via Steam...do you know any games that do that well so we can research? :D

Just based on some real quick research, Binding of Isaac: Rebirth. I believe you both need to explicitly enable it on your side, and then ensure the versions you release on each platform stay in sync (or at least retain backwards and forwards save compatibility) so that you don't accidentally blow up someone's save when you sync it.

Card Boy

Banned
We're coming out with Read Only Memories DX with voice acting, new puzzles and some other improvements for PS4, Vita and PC/Mac in the summer ...we'll have more info soon about what that will look like!

Will this be free update for existing owners or a new game (or paid DLC?) and if so will there a loyalty bonus?

Just started this, it's ok, so far, couple of things are making it kinda rough to get going. First, I have no idea who my character is, or the context of him/her in the world I know I am a journalist, but that's about it. No voice acting doesn't bother me, but I am having trouble identifying with the main character.

Second is the graphics, it really is a weird style, it's like half between VGA and EGA. it feels like a low res 8-bit game but with more colors available. Graphics feel closer to Portopia or Deja Vu than Snatcher to me. The font is also kinda a strain on the eyes. I understand why it is as it is.

I don't want to come off as too negative though, I'll be going back to it, though I might wait for the DX version, will that be a free upgrade if you already own it on PC?

I would definitely stick with it, as i found it took awhile to really become engaging. Treat the character very much as yourself in this world as a journalist. I did make a lttp thread earlier today funny enough and expressed my opnions in more depth, if you're interested in reading it.

Epcott

Been playing this on PS4.

I found that if you enter your name as
Dekker
a cheat code is unlocked that changes
Turing's metal gold in the dialogue screen
. Cool!

A shame no one seems to be playing this :(

Var

Been playing this on PS4.

I found that if you enter your name as
Dekker
a cheat code is unlocked that changes
Turing's metal gold in the dialogue screen
. Cool!

A shame no one seems to be playing this :(

That's awesome. I can't wait to play to the updated version.

Tizoc

So I need some help in Ch. 6
what am I supposed to do in the maze like area? Do I gotta tire out Dekker?
Is it even possible to do the final area without him?

Var

Sounds like there isn't going to be a Vita version now. The switch version sounds like it is going to be awesome though.

Top Bottom