• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Talos Principle |OT| It's Serious Puzzling, Sam (PS4 port out now!)

Sciz

header7skn0.jpg

What: First Person Puzzler
Where: PC/Mac/Linux/PS4
When: Out now on all platforms
How much: $40/£30/€40 on PC (regional pricing applies), $50/£30/€40 on PS4 (includes expansion)
How long: 15-20 hours
How many: Single player
Demo: Yes

Recommended System Requirements:

Processor: Quad-core 3.0 GHz
Memory: 4 GB RAM
Graphics: DirectX 11 capable GPU (nVidia GeForce 470 GTX, AMD Radeon HD 5850)
DirectX: Version 9.0c
Hard Drive: 4 GB available space
Sound Card: DirectX9.0c Compatible Sound Card

Minimum System Requirements:

Processor: Dual-core 2.0 GHz
Memory: 2 GB RAM
Graphics: DirectX 10 capable GPU (nVidia GeForce 8600 series, AMD Radeon HD 3600 series, Intel HD 4000 series)
DirectX: Version 9.0c
Hard Drive: 4 GB available space
Sound Card: DirectX9.0c Compatible Sound Card

Trailers:
Teaser trailer
Public test trailer
Launch trailer
PS4 launch trailer

what_isxoj4r.jpg

> You're telling me that Croteam, of all developers, made a highbrow, nonviolent puzzle game?

Yep.

> The guys who've released nothing but Serious Sam games for the past fifteen years?

The writing is by a pair of freelancers you might recognize from their work on FTL and The Swapper (Jubert), or The Infinite Ocean and The Sea Will Claim Everything (Kyratzes), but the rest of the work is all Croteam, yes.

> And what does a pack of FPS developers know about good puzzle design or philosophy?

Look, the story goes that, in the process of trying to introduce more creative puzzles than "use key with door" into Sam 4, the designers came up with a few mechanics and told the level designers to come up with some examples and see how far they could push them before something broke. What came back were a bunch of deviously complex brainteasers that the rest of the team loved, and from there they saw the potential to spin it out into a whole new IP that would let them explore some of the themes they'd been talking about together over their lunch breaks. And here we are.

There's nothing mind-blowingly new to it on a mechanical level, the way portals were, but it serves as proof enough that there's still a world of creativity to be found in the well-worn ground of lasers, boxes, pressure plates, and heat-seeking doom spheres.

> I trust you implicitly. But what's it about, really?

You play as an AI inside a computer simulation of dubious stability, being guided by a booming voice from above who refers to himself as your creator, Elohim. Follow his will and you will fulfill your purpose, but... well, just stay out of the tower.

There are also old DOS-era terminals scattered around the simulation that contain archives of the in-universe developers' lives: scraps of e-mails, diary entries, chat logs, blogs, books they were reading, lecture notes, personal anecdotes, and so on, all largely aimed at questioning the nature of sentience, humanity, and what it means to be a person. And all that is curated by a fellow AI who governs the terminals and is more than willing to have a conversation.

The reading isn't strictly necessary, but it's certainly as much a part of the experience as the puzzle solving is.

As for the puzzle solving itself, the world is subdivided into three major hubs, each of which contains several connections to individual islands, each of which holds a number of discrete puzzles and the potential for further exploration and secret hunting. Solving a puzzle earns you a sigil, and completing a set of sigils lets you unlock more content elsewhere. Sigils aren't unique, so getting stuck on a particularly tricky puzzle doesn't mean that you can't find an identical one elsewhere to earn and move on with. Think Super Mario 64 in terms of overall structure, if it had Portal's test chambers, Deus Ex's penchant for philosophical arguments, and a little more Tetris involved than usual.

> Monkey Island taught me to never pay more than twenty bucks for a computer game.

I like Steam sales as much as the next guy, but this has a lot of meat on its bones. Croteam says it has north of 120 distinct puzzles while the reviews have all clocked in around the time estimate above, plus or minus a few hours, and I don't believe any of them cleaned up all of the game's secret content.

> I insist on having ludicrously fine-grained control over every conceivable aspect of the game's performance.

This is still a Serious Engine game.

> Can I try it first?

Yes, at least as long as the allegedly limited-time public test stays up. There's also a free tie-in minigame available if you really like arranging tetrominoes.

> Does this have anything to do with guiding a legendary god-king through a whimsically meta examination of the nature of choice and narrative in video ga-

No.

Reviews:

Eurogamer: 9/10 Recommended
The Talos Principle is a game of challenges and conundrums and philosophical wonderings, filled with logic puzzles and cerebral mysteries. Its chunky mechanical processes are underpinned by a compelling breadcrumb-trail narrative that tackles the intangible notion of humanity and consciousness. Consequently, despite playing a robot that interacts with computer terminals and takes instruction from a disembodied voice in the sky, it exudes personality and charm; its mechanical precision complementing its aesthetic qualities. For an experience bereft of human contact it boasts a very big heart indeed.

RockPaperShotgun
Croteam’s The Talos Principle has a combination of neatly designed puzzles and philosophical pondering. It tickled my brainbuds and got inside my head in that way which sees you drawing diagrams of levels while on the tube or puzzling them out as you lie in bed pretending sleep might turn up at any moment. It’s one of my favourite games from 2014.

GamesBeat: 9/10
The Talos Principle’s hugely ambitious aim is to ask you to solve the ultimate puzzles, even as you solve the smaller ones that have been created for you: What is existence? What does it mean to be human, a person? And what exactly happened to human civilization, anyway?

PCWorld: 4.5/5
Portal changed puzzle games. I don't think there's much dissent on that. Or if it didn't change puzzle games, it at least was so unique in its execution, so interesting in the way it twisted standard shooter tropes, that it opened new avenues for puzzle games to go down.

And so they did. Since Portal's release we've had a number of imitators—Q.U.B.E., Quantum Conundrum, Antichamber, and hell, even Portal 2. They all tried to recapture some indescribable feeling many people had when originally playing Portal. They all achieved varying levels of success in that pursuit.

The Talos Principle comes closest, as far as I'm concerned.

Destructoid: 8/10
The Talos Principle has some important things to say, but more thoughtfully, it wants the player to have important things to say as well. Even those who do not bother to think about the philosophical topics can find a smart, sometimes frustratingly difficult puzzler here. It really shines for those open to both.

HardCoreGamer: 4/5
The large, beautiful worlds of The Talos Principle are filled with lovely ruins and pretty weather effects, making the time you’ll spend ramming your head against its stone walls and locked energy-doors a pleasantly relaxing experience despite its many periods of momentary frustration. One problem leads effortlessly into another and the reward for being clever is a requirement to up your game for the next area, which is exactly how a good puzzle game should be. The Talos Principle expects you to be smart and knows you’ve got the brain to figure it out, and the reward for it being right is the a sense of satisfaction at solving something properly tricky.

PC Gamer: 84
I'm fascinated by The Talos Principle's lack of visual artistic direction. This landscape of remixed Greek, Egyptian and medieval styles is technically accomplished but says absolutely nothing: a sense compounded by the fact that the developers let you fiddle with colour filters from the main menu. More than anything else it reminds me of those benchmarking demos that used to ship with 3DFX cards in the late '90s—depopulated ruins presented for their complexity only, any human point of reference secondary to some mechanical process churning away beneath the surface.

In another game I'd write that line off as overthink. Chances are, nine times out of ten, that art that says nothing was trying to say something and failed. I don't think that's true for The Talos Principle. If any game was going to look like a Voodoo 5's fever dream on purpose it'd be the one with a wide-ranging interest in machine-generated worlds, artificial intelligence, and the way that personality imprints itself on nothingness. The game is clever enough to pull something like that off, and generous enough in its puzzle design to make you feel clever into the bargain. If you're actually a person, that is. There's still some doubt on that front.

GameFront: 90/100
This is The Talos Principle: You’re a living human playing a computer simulation as a robot playing a computer simulation, and answering philosophical questions posed by another computer about the nature of what it is to be a person.

Jim Sterling: 9.5/10 & Honorable GOTY
Gamespot: 9/10
Polygon: 8.5/10
GameTrailers: 9.2/10 & Puzzle/Adventure GOTY
Joystiq: Excellence Award winner
The Escapist: 4/5
IGN: 8.3
Game Informer: 9/10
gamegrep
Motherboard
Pixel Dynamo: 8.3/10
Darkstation: 5/5
Front Towards Gamer: 8/10
Digital Spy: 5/5
Gaming Trend: 100/100
The arts desk: 5/5
The Daily Crate
Canadian Online Gamers: 91/100
Slant Magazine
IGN Italy: 9.2
IGN Spain: 9.0
Vandal: 9/10 (Spanish)
ComputerBild.de: 88/100

GAF Says:

This is the best game I've played this year and I don't say that lightly. The game is one of the most mind blowing puzzle games I've played and it constantly surprises and bewilders you, creating some of the most rewarding puzzle gameplay I've experienced. ... Anyway, just thought I'd give my thoughts, but if you like puzzle games with a narrative that will make you think, then simply get this. One of the best puzzle games ever made and it's up there with Portal, Antichamber and the like. Great stuff.
Sublime. Will be on my GOTY list for sure.
I've been playing this for a few weeks now and as a puzzle fan, I love it. Hits all the right notes.
Almost certainly my favorite first person puzzle game to date, beating out the Portals in terms of challenge and cleverness despite having less inventive mechanics.
Bought this to satisfy a random urge to play a puzzle game and am absolutely loving every minute second of it.
Well, Steam says I played 8.8 hours so far and I'm maybe 1/3 or 1/2 of the way through.

Perhaps much more unusual for me, those 8.8 hours were practically consecutive. I'm not sure I remember the last time I picked up a new game and was glued to it for that long.

It runs great, looks good, has good music, and reminds me quite favorably of Portal 1 and Portal 2. That's about as high praise as I can give a puzzle game. I really like the bits of story.
I'm on Level 7 of "Cathedral A", and I'm really loving it. Played for almost 4 hours straight, something that I never do with a game.

I'm loving to read every piece of information, and it's making me interested to read some Philosophical books that were recommended here.

Can't wait to get home tonight to play it more!

stingerf3kmx.jpg

The Public Test was great, so really interested in picking this up sometime. Review scores are certainly a relief - was worried the puzzles might quickly outstay their welcome.

Nuva

Neo Member
The public test was kinda easy and didn't really pull me in and I kinda think the whole aesthetics of the thing is kinda ugly in general but I'm interested juuuuuust enough to give the thing a whirl and see how complicated the puzzles get.

But God, I kinda hope they clean up the graphics. It was very muddy looking on my end.

Amir0x

Banned
I've been eagerly anticipating this game since the second it was announced, I'm so glad to see it turned out well.

This is exactly my type of game :D

Sciz

Valve hit the button, game is live.

Also now available as DLC is the soundtrack, some bonus and behind the scenes content, and what seems to be an entire prototype build of the game.

Sciz

Wait, the game is 19.99€, at least in Spain. In fact it's on a launch sale at 17.99€.

There's some regional pricing in play, which I should note. Those are the top end prices, and then various countries and regions get scaled down costs from there.

Psykoboy2

I've been playing this for a few weeks now and as a puzzle fan, I love it. Hits all the right notes. I will say, however, to avoid as much as you can for the game. Even the launch trailer felt a bit spoiler-ish to me. And some screenshots as well have been ones I wouldn't have used in a review. They aren't gigantic spoilers, probably, but enough that I'm glad I didn't know about them before going in.

We're interviewing a member from Croteam on our radio show Saturday. And we'll have steam keys to give away in our Twitch chat room during the live broadcast.

Mifec

Proud of my countrymen, now if only I had the time to go back to Croatia :/

Will buy this to support them.

I played the public test of this game not too long ago and I enjoyed it. Though money is a little bit tight atm, so I'll wait till a possible discount or something.

Anyone experiencing crashes whenever they change any graphics option (vysnc, triple buffering, MSAA)? Performance options are fine. Sent them a log on the steam forums.

Anyway, loving that you can sprint really fast which is not what most first person puzzle adventure games allow and everything is very responsive. The puzzles are really fun, too!

This is the best game I've played this year and I don't say that lightly. The game is one of the most mind blowing puzzle games I've played and it constantly surprises and bewilders you, creating some of the most rewarding puzzle gameplay I've experienced.

I've put in 35+ hours so far and although I've finished the main game, there's several endings I still need to see and a bunch of secrets and stars I need to collect, and the stars are definitely some of the most challenging elements to the game and they really test you to think outside the box. Literally in a lot of cases, as sometimes you must use your knowledge to break items out of rooms or link them to tools in other rooms. It's really satisfying when you get the feeling that you're doing something you're not "supposed" to be doing.

There's so much to see and do and although I've spent a lot of time playing, I'm still excited to play and see more, even after finishing the main game. The game supports Steam workshop too so hopefully we'll see use of that soon. Also, the soundtrack is fucking awesome (That Tower music).

Anyway, just thought I'd give my thoughts, but if you like puzzle games with a narrative that will make you think, then simply get this. One of the best puzzle games ever made and it's up there with Portal, Antichamber and the like. Great stuff.

Mifune

Mehmber
PS4 version was playable at Indiecade in October so its release shouldn't be too far away. I hope. Looks fantastic.

Fixed the graphics issue.

Didn't know this game had text adventure AI program bits!

My one problem with first person adventure games with narrators is they often start rambling about out-of-context truisms and other pointless stuff that isn't particularly memorable or the best part of those games (Vanishing of Ethan Carter, Dear Esther, Mind). Here though, the dad/parent figure has interesting things to say to flesh out the world or your goals and it's relatively short pretty much after an action you do rather than start speaking out of the blue. Then there are the audio diaries from Alexandra which gave me Gone Home vibes, and they're not intrusive either to the experience. It also helps that the game's sprint speed means it's not as laborious as those other games.

So far, this game is righting the wrongs of these kind of games.

I love the reset charge on the hand, it was only added yesterday (the day before release) and it's a cool thing. For the last month, every time I reset it was just a blank hand, haha.

Who said games about existentialism and man-machine musings can't have explosions?
iWP5gq6aQc6Jp.gif

The text adventure stuff can be quite humorous, which is appreciated with such brainy subject matter.
iboewfGHlRQq0a.gif

epmode

I wasn't going to buy this.

But fuck, the Serious Sam guys PLUS the writer from the almost-invisible-on-GAF The Sea Will Claim Everything? I'm in.

You guys should play The Sea Will Claim Everything, BTW.

epmode

So this is pretty good so far. And oh god I love Croteam's insistence on allowing us to tweak every little graphics detail to our heart's content.

Spoo

Playing through this. About an hour or two in. Anyone who thinks Portal is a great game should buy this -- it's not *quite* as inventive as Portal, but it's the closest thing you'll get to those "Oh God, *thats* how you do it!" moments.

Great visuals/presentation as well. It might not be worth the money quite yet -- at 20 it would be an incredible value, but 35 is, well, a bit steep for what's here. Still, puzzle gamers just can't be too choosy these days.

epmode

Here's an easy way to know when a developer really loves us: When pressing the in-game Achievements button does NOT just pop up the Steam UI pointed at the achievements URL. You know, when the developer takes the time to make an actual achievement display menu.

epmode

BTW, is it possible to do every puzzle the first time you enter a puzzle room or do some of them require items from later in the game?

I"M NOT STUCK I SWEAR

Sciz

BTW, is it possible to do every puzzle the first time you enter a puzzle room or do some of them require items from later in the game?

I"M NOT STUCK I SWEAR

As far as I've noticed, as long as you're earning yellow sigils as you come across them, you'll have all the items you need a little before they're required.

epmode

So the answer is yes. Good. I felt really dumb for a while!

edit: Oh wait, the puzzle summary signs posted all over the place seem to indicate when an item is required. ..and the one I've been stuck on doesn't require any items. How embarrassing.

I pre-ordered this the instant it was available and enjoyed the test thing they did. I'll support anything Jonas Kyratzes is involved with.

The game seems to have variety in environments and puzzle mechanics, which is pleasantly surprising because I thought it'd be garden like areas mostly. Could see this being a long game.

I like the 3rd person mode, even though it's just there to see what the character looks like with some animations like climbing ladders or painting a QR code on a wall and look goofy picking up stuff, running around.
i06Y6RUFodZ8U.gif

i1JZsw1iDl70l.gif

SameCautiousGiantschnauzer.gif

Drazgul

The Thalmor do not approve of this thread.

Might just have to buy it, Croteam is cool and I'm really digging that visual style. Plus a good puzzler's always worth supporting, not too many 3D ones out there.

Just played this for a few hours and I'm digging it so far. After suffering through QUBE and Quantum Conundrum recently it's nice to be reminded what a good first person puzzler is like.

I got all the pieces from the A building and a good amount of stars, but missed a couple in rooms using the beam turrets where the star was behind a red/blue receiver where there was clearly no emitter of that color to be found anywhere. Can I not access them until some later point in the game or am I missing something stupidly obvious? If there's a hint I'd rather have that than an outright solution.

Sciz

Hopefully that will be Serious Sam 4. It sounds like they took the "too much Egypt" criticisms to heart.

The irony here is that there's an entire Egypt section, and at least some of the assets are ripped straight out of SS3. Combined with the fact that the hub design is still firmly rooted in Sam's DNA, that whole part of the game feels rather familiar.

Croteam is well aware of this.

I got all the pieces from the A building and a good amount of stars, but missed a couple in rooms using the beam turrets where the star was behind a red/blue receiver where there was clearly no emitter of that color to be found anywhere. Can I not access them until some later point in the game or am I missing something stupidly obvious? If there's a hint I'd rather have that than an outright solution.

There's a trick to it. I'll leave a couple of hints for if you get really desperate, but figuring out how those work is one of the game's bigger mindblowing moments.

Hint:
Sometimes you have to think outside the box to get stars, and I don't say that just to be pithy or coy. Take it at face value.

Very spoilery hint:
Purple fields only block physical objects.

xir

Likely to be eaten by a grue
Loving it but I feel like I'm playing a version of tower of hanoi with all the back and forth

Top Bottom