• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Another Code: Recollection | Review Thread

hero.jpg

Game Information

Game Title: Another Code: Recollection

Platforms:
  • Nintendo Switch (Jan 19, 2024)
Trailer:

Publisher: Nintendo

Review Aggregator:

OpenCritic - 75 average - 64% recommended

image.png

Metacritic - 73 average based on 66 Critic Review

image.png

Written Reviews

Atarita - Seyidcem Öztürk - Turkish - 65 / 100
While Another Code: Recollection is a very well-made remake, some of its mistakes are unfortunately not acceptable. Despite the story additions, beautiful graphics/drawings, nice voice acting and full travellable 3D environments; the game's boring and heavy structure at some points overshadows its good parts.

Atomix - Aldo López - Spanish - 85 / 100
Despite having slight errors, I think I can definitely recommend it for those who are fans of point and click or visual novels, since the story is engaging and the puzzles are challenging but fair. Even those who have never played a game of the genre could start here, since it is a title that does not impose any type of pressure.

CGMagazine - Jordan Biordi - 7 / 10
While not the most challenging puzzle game, ANOTHER Code: Recollection is an engaging enough experience for anyone interested in this unique Nintendo time capsule.

COGconnected - Nicola Kapron - 80 / 100
All in all, I had a great time with Another Code: Recollection. I recommend it to fans of interesting stories, mysteries, and puzzles. It won’t provide a real challenge, but it has a great atmosphere. And if you haven’t played the original games, this is a great opportunity to fill the hole in your library.

Capsule Computers - Dustin Spencer - 7 / 10
Despite its niche target audience, Another Code: Recollection is an odd, yet welcome revival from Nintendo that is sure to be appreciated for many years to come.

Checkpoint Gaming - Edie W-K - 5.5 / 10
Remaking an older series that never got much limelight is always a good thing, and Another Code: Recollection has gone above and beyond updating its look and feel for the modern day. The problem is that those updates have removed everything that made the original games unique, and have re-invented the story in a way that is not to its benefit. It might still be a nice time if you're in the mood for something simple and slow-paced, but it's certainly no replacement for the originals.

Console Creatures - Bobby Pashalidis - Recommended
Another Code: Recollection's improved environments, mechanics, and assists elevate a legacy title into relevancy with a heartfelt story.

Cubed3 - Sandy Kirchner-Wilson - 8 / 10
Another Code: Recollection recontextualises two of gaming's most obscure and heartfelt stories into a single cohesive whole, improving upon them in almost every way and providing a much wider audience with a chance to enjoy the adventure of Ashley Robbins. There are some rough edges here and there but the games are overwhelmingly a slow yet excellent journey that really ought to be experienced by everyone who can stomach the pacing. Melancholic, nostalgic adventures that come highly recommended!

Destructoid - Zoey Handley - 7 / 10
So, while Another Code: Recollection didn’t really do much for me, I hope that it finds an audience, whether it’s newcomers to the series or fans of the old.

Digital Spy - Ben Rayner - 4 / 5
Another Code: Recollection is a heartfelt experience that’s unique and fun, despite it not being the most challenging game around, and it's hard not to recommend. Now, let’s hope we see Hotel Dusk and its sequel Last Window released in a similar package soon!

Digital Trends - George Yang - 3.5 / 5
Another Code: Recollection left me with a lasting impression that's sure to keep my memory of the lost series alive.

Digitec Magazine - Domagoj Belancic - German - Unscored
Another Code: Recollection is a comprehensive remake of two forgotten adventure gems. The reinterpretation of the original material adds substantial new features, but cannot quite capture the magic of the original games. This is partly due to the puzzles, which have completely been reworked, and the lacklustre audiovisual presentation.

Despite the points of criticism, I had a lot of fun with the games during my fifteen or so hours of play. I love the melancholy world of Another Code I'm and am glad that this series has been given a second chance.

Echo Boomer - André Pereira - Portuguese - Recommended
Another Code: Recollection is like a reminder that a person can die twice: when the soul leaves its the body and when everyone forget about us.

Eurogamer.pt - Bruno Galvão - Portuguese - 3 / 5
By betting on complete remakes for both games, Nintendo ensures that Another Code: Recollection comes fully optimized and free of many of the problems that existed in the original versions. You may feel that the difficulty has been greatly reduced in this effort to remove much of the friction that existed in the original versions, much of it related to the specific alternative control methods of each of the original consoles, but the result is a much more entertaining game that much better fulfills its purpose as a hybrid experience between visual novel and puzzle.

Everyeye.it - Riccardo Cantù - Italian - 7.5 / 10
Ultimately, Another Code Recollection is a product that brings with it two authentic classics of the past, so far lost in the folds of time.

Final Weapon - Payne Grist - 3 / 5
Another Code: Recollection is a smartly made remake that’s beautiful to look at and heartwarming to play. This collection combines both games with a unified art style and presentation while smoothing out the plot to create a cohesive whole. This game is very different from its original versions, so if you are a fan of those, don’t expect the same presentation or puzzles. I do find the puzzles weak overall, and the story enjoyment will hinge entirely on what you want out of Adventure games.

GAMES.CH - Benjamin Braun - German - 73%
If you want to experience the two Another Code games in a more or less completely new manner, the Recollection is a great opportunity for doing that. But new puzzles, cutscenes or voiceover can't hide that Another Code Recollection does not look and feel like a high value current game production.

GGRecon - Jack Roberts - 4 / 5
Another Code: Recollection is a lovingly crafted remake of two underrated gems that helped to demonstrate the innovations of their original platforms, and adapted them to the current generation.

GameSpot - Heidi Kemps - 7 / 10
Another Code Recollection is a sweet, breezy mystery adventure that's enjoyable but doesn't leave a lasting impression.

GamingTrend - Adam Moreno - 90 / 100
Another Code: Recollection brings together puzzle-solving, fun stories with twists and turns, and very interesting characters and lore all in one place. This is a wonderful remake of the games that came out in 2005 and 2009. While the games aren't too long, together, they make for a fun time by yourself or solving the mysteries with friends.

Geeks & Com - Anthony Gravel - French - 7.5 / 10
Arc System Works delivers an entire retelling of the DS/Wii compilation of Another Codes games with enhanced visuals and modernized gameplay. The story is particularly well written and addresses some mature subject. We hope to see more of Ashley in the future.

God is a Geek - Chris White - 8 / 10
Another Code: Recollection features two great games in one package, featuring a deep and well-written story, and some excellent puzzles.

Hobby Consolas - Alberto Lloret - Spanish - 80 / 100
Without being a perfect compilation, Another Code: Recollection brings up to date two memorable adventures that fans of the genre in the strict sense of the word will like, those in which exploration and puzzles are the protagonists, although at times it almost seems more like a visual novel.

IGN - Logan Plant - 7 / 10
Another Code: Recollection is a chill, breezy return for a dormant Nintendo series that’s light on challenge but heavy on charm.

IGN Italy - Francesco Destri - Italian - 7 / 10
As a remake operation, that of Another Code: Recollection is perfectly successful, especially for the new visuals of Two Memories, while as graphic adventures the two games suffer a bit from the weight of years.

IGN Spain - Laura Rey - Spanish - 8 / 10
The worst thing about Another Code: Recollection is that it ends. Being able to enjoy Ashley, the Robbins family and the mysteries that these games envelop is a true delight.

Impulsegamer - Gareth Newnham - 4 / 5
Another Code: Recollection brings together a pair of stone cold cult classics Switch owners wont want to miss.

LevelUp - Dan Villalobos - Spanish - 8.5 / 10
Another Code: Recollection is a good example that Nintendo can bring back any game that surprised decades ago. The included titles allow reliving 2 amazing stories that were well-received on DS and Wii, but improved in every aspect to conquer new generations.

Merlin'in Kazanı - Murat Olcan - Turkish - 84 / 100
An average playtime of five to ten hours dispels the idea that every match should be a never-ending journey. Diving into the game, discovering the truth, solving all the mysteries, and then moving on to the next adventure brought with it an enjoyable experience in itself. Although the game does not seem to be aimed at ordinary players, it has managed to be a center of attraction for those who want to dive deep into its mythology.

Metro GameCentral - GameCentral - 5 / 10
One of the strangest remakes of all time, given the amount of effort and care that's been put into such obscure adventure games that, in all honesty, don't deserve the attention.

MonsterVine - Samantha Lienhard - 4 / 5
Another Code: Recollection is a beautiful remake that I can hardly believe exists, bringing two niche games back when they could easily have been forgotten. In many ways, it’s a fantastic remake – enough that I wish it had all the puzzles and story details of the original so I could feel fully satisfied. Instead, the changes left me with some mixed feelings, but this remake is a solid narrative adventure game in its own right.

Nintendo Life - PJ O'Reilly - 7 / 10
Another Code: Recollection's biggest addition to the original DS and Wii experiences, besides the slick new graphics and fully explorable 3D environs, is its all-new navigation and puzzle aids. With the obtuse nature of some puzzles now a triviality - should you find yourself stumped - there's now no difficulty spikes or annoying moments to hold you back from a two-part tale that's very much worth diving into for fans of slow-burn point-and-click titles. Their pacing could have done with some more work, but this collection is as good a return to Ashley's world as fans could have hoped for.

Noisy Pixel - Yuna Briggs - 7 / 10
Another Code: Recollection is an absorbing experience from start to finish, one that will keep mystery fans comfortably engaged thanks to its relaxed atmosphere and enjoyable cast. Lacks a little special something, but it's got a lot of heart.

NoobFeed - Azfar Rayan - 70 / 100
Even if it has its flaws, fans of the series will love Another Code: Recollection. As someone who is just starting out, this game won't disappoint. Despite its great promises, with this series in particular, I wonder why it vanished after those two entries. Nonetheless, we think Another Code: Recollection might be fantastic for lovers of the franchise. The gameplay is fascinating without being very taxing; it's an exploration with narrative-driven and puzzle-moving components. Clues in a game might lead you to other areas and even guide you through various scenarios.

Play Watch Read - Merel Staal - Dutch - 7 / 10
Another Code: Recollection is a merger of two previously released games in the Another Code series, but with the necessary innovations. You play with Ashley Mizuki Robins who is investigating to find out what happened in the past and you do this by solving the necessary puzzles and having a lot of dialogue. The focus is clearly on the story, which is done justice to by fine voice actors. The puzzles could have been a little more creative, but are nevertheless entertaining.

Press Start - James Berich - 6.5 / 10
Another Code: Recollection breathes new life into a dormant series by creating a cohesive narrative in a remake with updated visuals. While some great effort has gone into modernising the games from a presentation standpoint, some of the creative liberties taken and frustrating motion-controlled puzzles will no doubt leave fans longing for a more faithful recreation.

RPG Fan - Joshua Lindquist - 80%
Another Code: Recollection is a fun new experience but a very different experience from the games it remakes.

RPG Site - James Galizio - 8 / 10
Nintendo and Arc System Works remake of the Nintendo DS and Wii cult classics successfully recreates Another Code for a new generation.

SECTOR.sk - Michal Korec - Slovak - 8.5 / 10
Nintendo is serving double pack of excellent adventure titles from the past. And it is also a great showcase how to remake two solid games to great adventure with updated graphics, new interface, dialogues and even high-quality puzzle and exploration.

Shacknews - Lucas White - 7 / 10
At this point we’re circling back to the beginning. I think it’s super awesome that Another Code: Recollection exists. A deeply underrated classic I thought was, due to the literal expiration of its dev studio, never going to see the light of day again has come back. It’s also the first time the second half of the story is available outside of Japan and Europe! Unfortunately, I’d probably prefer to actually revisit and play the originals because of how the remakes sand the edges off. Between the middling voice acting undermining the story, the barely-there puzzles, and the sterility of the visuals, it feels like the magic of adventure games on Nintendo’s older, gimmicky hardware hasn’t been recaptured. But I still had a great time taking it all in. Weird, huh? That’s what being a history nerd feels like.

Siliconera - Jenni Lada - 8 / 10
While the puzzles are a bit easy, Another Code: Recollection is a well-executed remake and it's great to see both games worldwide.

Spaziogames - Nicolò Bicego - Italian - 7.5 / 10
Another Code: Recollection is a smart and well-made revival for the beloved series that be believed was long forgotten by Nintendo: we are happy to know that it wasn't and that new players and long-time fans alike can now enjoy these two games on their Nintendo Switch.

The Games Machine - Daniele Cucchiarelli - Italian - 8 / 10
In the first decade of the 2000s, Cing was synonymous with atmospheric adventures and extraordinary gameplay ideas. Two of those now arrive on Switch with a complete graphic makeover and modernized gameplay. Slow pace, plenty of atmosphere and intriguing storylines are strengths of two productions that have kept (quite) intact their charm.

TheSixthAxis - Reuben Mount - 7 / 10
The work that has gone into bringing Another Code: Two Memories and its sequel to Switch is impressive, giving us a pair of enthralling adventures to follow. The DAS is an excellent little gadget, and the characters and overall story are excellently written and charming, but the short length of this collection and lack of activities outside the investigating result in a somewhat one-note affair. Another Code: Recollection is a decent little package, but you might be left wanting if you have played the original releases.

VGC - Chris Scullion - 4 / 5
So much more than a simple remaster, Another Code: Recollection completely rebuilds both games from scratch, making it a brand new experience not only for newcomers, but long-time fans of the series too. With beautiful environments, endearing characters and a hint system that means players of all skill levels can reach the end, only a lack of replay value stops this from being a complete must-have.

Video Chums - Mary Billington - 6.9 / 10
Another Code: Recollection is laidback storytelling with likeable characters, the odd puzzle, and a little sci-fi sprinkled in for good measure. I'm glad that I got to play through these lesser-known adventure games all of these years after their initial release although they certainly don't do much to stand out from the crowd. 💧

WayTooManyGames - Oliver Shellding - 8 / 10
The core of what made this game such a legend still exists and thrills me to no end. I wish it was a bit better handled with some extra flair, but I can’t complain that it feels exactly how I want it to be.

Wccftech - Nathan Birch - 8 / 10
Another Code: Recollection may seem a bit quaint compared to some of the visual novels and narrative adventures that have come along since Cing’s games helped reinvigorate those genres, but there’s an undeniable easygoing charm to these stories, characters, and world. This collection also completely revamps the original games’ puzzles, usually for the better, meaning even Cing veterans are in for a fresh experience. Another Code: Recollection may not break much new ground, but it satisfyingly evokes memories of a simpler time.

WellPlayed - James Wood - 7 / 10
Another Code: Recollection is a solid repackage of two classic adventure titles that manages to celebrate the Cing games despite some lacklustre puzzles and clumsy camera controls.

Video Reviews

Last edited:

Punished Miku

Gold Member
I didn't have a good impression at all. I'll leave it at that.

I'm tempted to get it just for a collectible almost, since I bet this gets a very low print run. It's possible the game gets better but the demo had some issues.

Reviewers and Nintendo bloggers loving the fact that a puzzle game makes puzzles trivial so they don't have to face any sort of challenge, how surprising.

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I'm buying this day one, when it comes to these type of games, reviews are worthless.

nial

Gold Member
I would have liked this, but the art style is very boring compared to the original Nintendo DS game. Sadly always the case with their remakes.

kunonabi

Sounds like everything I was worried about. I heard they tied up some plot threads which is concerning since I don't know if any of the original staff was involved and some reviewers already complained about certain creative liberties. I'll probably still buy it as a sign of support but I doubt I'll actually play through it.

Reactions: Isa

Isa

I'm buying this day one, when it comes to these type of games, reviews are worthless.

Myself too, gotta do my part plus we get the second bit as well.

Barakov

Gold Member
These reviews mean nothing for these games. They’re very delicate adventure games that aren’t like anything else. They have something of Kenji Eno in them. It’s a misunderstood style that falls outside the videogame criticism paradigm.
You danced around it but I'll just come and say it : most game reviewers are just too dumb to get games like this.

Trunx81

I loved the first game. This was the Nintendo DS experience I was hoping for. Blew my mind when you had to shut down the console for a puzzle to work. So simple, yet so compelling.
The sequel on the Wii was .. not so good.

Maybe I’ll give it a try when they are on sale (being Nintendo you’ll probably have to buy the card used, although I’m pretty sure this game will be worth quite some money in a few years in physical format).

These reviews mean nothing for these games. They’re very delicate adventure games that aren’t like anything else. They have something of Kenji Eno in them. It’s a misunderstood style that falls outside the videogame criticism paradigm.
Yeah learned a long time not to take the opinions of normie reviewers seriously when it comes to Japanese games. IGN really? Better off watching a youtube gameplay video.

Apparently Another Code: Recollection may have gotten a small print run in both Europe and North America (Amazon hasn't shipped orders, local retailers seem to have 1-2 copies).

image.png
image.png

image.png

I was planning on getting the physical a few months from now but I guess I might as well grab it now while it's still readily available instead of getting it later on through scalpers.

kunonabi

Apparently Another Code: Recollection may have gotten a small print run in both Europe and North America (Amazon hasn't shipped orders, local retailers seem to have 1-2 copies).

image.png
image.png

image.png

I was planning on getting the physical a few months from now but I guess I might as well grab it now while it's still readily available instead of getting it later on through scalpers.

I figured this would happen which is why told my brother to preorder and he ended up getting his copy today

Hohenheim

I didn't have a good impression at all. I'll leave it at that.

I'm tempted to get it just for a collectible almost, since I bet this gets a very low print run. It's possible the game gets better but the demo had some issues.
I did that.
Nice addition to the Nintendo collection, but i'll definitly keep it sealed.

amigastar

I remember playing Hotel Dusk: Room 215, it really sucked me in with the puzzles and story.

Top Bottom