• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Talos Principle |OT| It's Serious Puzzling, Sam (PS4 port out now!)

Inkwell

Banned
Finished this earlier today. I thought that the whole game was just wonderful. I love how game and story mesh together so well. All I really have left to do is get the rest of the achievements if I feel like it, but I think I'll give the game a break. Maybe I'll do another playthrough later to finish them off.

By the way, has anyone played the prototype DLC? I'm very tempted to pick it up.

Thanks to PsykoBoy2 and the In Game Chat radio show/podcast, I got one of the free copies they were handing out on Saturday! So far I'm mostly loving it, I've beaten every main puzzle up to area C so far(except for many of the stars).

Psykoboy2

Thanks to PsykoBoy2 and the In Game Chat radio show/podcast, I got one of the free copies they were handing out on Saturday! So far I'm mostly loving it, I've beaten every main puzzle up to area C so far(except for many of the stars).

You're welcome! And hey, thanks for listening to the show!

The interview will go up tomorrow on YouTube and iTunes.

Sounds like a great game. I put it on my wish list on Steam so I don't forget about it. I can't afford the price tag right now due to the holidays.

wouwie

Until a week ago, i had only heard of this game once in a short eurogamer news story. Since this thread went up, i've been catching up on it (not about the game content as i don't want to be spoiled) and the praise seems to suggest that it's something special indeed. Which means it's suddenly one of my most anticipated games for 2015 (i'm waiting on the PS4 release) together with The Witness (another awesome looking puzzle game). With Grim Fandango and Broken Age coming in 2015 too, it seems great times are coming for puzzle and adventure fans :)

Blizzard

Banned
2. Yes, there is a way to disarm the gun.

3. The concrete plate does indeed serve a purpose, however it is nothing in regards to the narrative and progression of the game, it's just a nifty little easter egg. Definitely a time consuming one if you're willing to put in the time.
Thanks! If you're willing, I have two more hint questions to SLIGHTLY reduce the time I might spend on it:

More C1 star / easter egg spoilers:
2. Is the gun disarmed by a jammer? (so I don't waste time scouring for switches in corners)

3. I'm assuming the concrete plate is completely self-contained. Do I need to steal item(s) from the puzzles in order to activate the plate? If not, is there something else in the level which I have to do before the plate can be used? Alternatively, does the plate actually work already, and I just have to find out what the effect was?

*edit* Sciz gave me hints on this so I'm putting them here for posterity. Thanks.
2. The answer is yes
3. Yes, no, no, yes but no

Thanks! If you're willing, I have two more hint questions to SLIGHTLY reduce the time I might spend on it:

More C1 star / easter egg spoilers:
2. Is the gun disarmed by a jammer? (so I don't waste time scouring for switches in corners)

3. I'm assuming the concrete plate is completely self-contained. Do I need to steal item(s) from the puzzles in order to activate the plate? If not, is there something else in the level which I have to do before the plate can be used? Alternatively, does the plate actually work already, and I just have to find out what the effect was?

*edit* Sciz gave me hints on this so I'm putting them here for posterity. Thanks.
2. The answer is yes
3. Yes, no, no, yes but no

Ah, sorry I wasn't around to answer these earlier. Glad Sciz could help you out.

By the way, has anyone played the prototype DLC? I'm very tempted to pick it up.

I've played the lost level and the first two rooms of the prototype levels and damn, I wish I could say it was worth picking it up. The lost level is pretty cool, but gives you familiar puzzles and techniques used in the main game. Looks nice but not much else to it. Cool to see Rome at night though.

The "100+" prototype rooms are simply identical puzzles to the main game only in the prototype setting. They're all Rome based and have slightly different assets, but the puzzles are identical with maybe one or two unfamiliar ones but that's maybe because I couldn't remember them. The second room was so frustrating, it was pretty much ALL jammer / mine related puzzles in a random order. I found myself doing some of the hardest puzzles in the game again. Even the star room puzzles which were kind of difficult, except all back to back.

I guess it's nice to see the early versions of the levels, but they're identical to the final game with different aesthetics and man, after completing everything there is to do in the game, I'm not so sure I wanted to redo some of the hardest puzzles back to back again. Still it's nice for a little while if you like that sort of thing but for me it kind of wore off quick.

Blizzard

Banned
Also thanks to Sciz for giving me tips that a certain level contains easter eggs:
C3
has 3 of them. I highly recommend exploring that level for anyone who hasn't found them.

One of them is very minor, but the other two are awesome.

Inkwell

Banned
I've played the lost level and the first two rooms of the prototype levels and damn, I wish I could say it was worth picking it up. The lost level is pretty cool, but gives you familiar puzzles and techniques used in the main game. Looks nice but not much else to it. Cool to see Rome at night though.

The "100+" prototype rooms are simply identical puzzles to the main game only in the prototype setting. They're all Rome based and have slightly different assets, but the puzzles are identical with maybe one or two unfamiliar ones but that's maybe because I couldn't remember them. The second room was so frustrating, it was pretty much ALL jammer / mine related puzzles in a random order. I found myself doing some of the hardest puzzles in the game again. Even the star room puzzles which were kind of difficult, except all back to back.

I guess it's nice to see the early versions of the levels, but they're identical to the final game with different aesthetics and man, after completing everything there is to do in the game, I'm not so sure I wanted to redo some of the hardest puzzles back to back again. Still it's nice for a little while if you like that sort of thing but for me it kind of wore off quick.

Well that's unfortunate. I thought the 100 puzzles would have some older versions /repeats but not to that extent. Might be interesting to check out when there's a more substantial discount.

Octavia

Unconfirmed Member
I haven't played the game, but watching the quicklook of it, this game has incredible music. Sounds very much reminiscent of Jeremy Soules work on Oblivion.

Sciz

Also thanks to Sciz for giving me tips that a certain level contains easter eggs:
C3
has 3 of them. I highly recommend exploring that level for anyone who hasn't found them.

One of them is very minor, but the other two are awesome.

That's not even everything there is to find there, according to an easter egg guide.

Well that's unfortunate. I thought the 100 puzzles would have some older versions /repeats but not to that extent. Might be interesting to check out when there's a more substantial discount.

For all that Croteam's games are excellent, they really don't have a good track record with DLC.

I haven't played the game, but watching the quicklook of it, this game has incredible music. Sounds very much reminiscent of Jeremy Soules work on Oblivion.

Damjan Mravunac does good work, and I'm glad Croteam's been able to keep getting him on board all these years. He's posted the whole soundtrack to Youtube, as well.

Blizzard

Banned
I don't like the B level music (at least some of it), but virtually everything else has been awesome. I bought the soundtrack today because of that.

*edit* I love this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W8z60r6yTc8 The choral parts that join in halfway through are perfect for the setting where it plays.

I love Serious Sam and Croteam, and it's good to hear that they can make a damn good puzzle game too. Seriously, this is the furthest possible thing they could do from SS, and impressions look great.

I'll definitely look to pick this up, maybe during the winter sale.

For all that Croteam's games are excellent, they really don't have a good track record with DLC.

Jewel of the Nile for Serious Sam 3 was pretty good. That said, Legend of the Beast was really weak, especially considering it's just levels from the Alpha version of the First Encounter touched up.

Speaking of which,

Sounds like some quality Day 1 DLC there, Devolver.

It was pretty disappointing. Virtually no new content save a monster from the first game. Maybe if it was a dollar or two. But not $10.

I don't know, I thought the levels were pretty well designed (the second and third ones in particular), and being able to use the
jetpack
in normal combat was pretty fun. They also got away from all the jarring swearing from the main game. Overall, it felt like a step in the right direction.

Inkwell

Banned
I don't like the B level music (at least some of it), but virtually everything else has been awesome. I bought the soundtrack today because of that.

*edit* I love this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W8z60r6yTc8 The choral parts that join in halfway through are perfect for the setting where it plays.

I think area B probably has the weakest music, but I still liked it. It was most likely solely inspired by the Egyptian setting, but it really really sounded like Myst music.

Gazoinks

I just picked this game up and am hugely impressed. The puzzle design is really fantastic (Croteam? SERIOUSLY?), especially given it doesn't really have a "gimmick" like Portal, and I love how open the environments are. Jubert and Kyratzes are both really good writers, and I'm really interested in seeing where the story goes as well. Glad I ended up getting this before the end of the year, because it's probably gonna be high on my GOTY list.

Sciz

Two more rave reviews, and for what it's worth, Notch and George Broussard both love it.

A Croatian site did an interview with Croteam (in English), and the last couple of questions are especially promising:

Fans of your Serious Sam franchise are eagerly expecting the next installment in the series. What can you tell us about Sam’s new adventure, and when will it be released?

(laughs) It’s hard to talk about Serious Sam 4 without giving away spoilers, but for fans of the franchise, we can make comparison with Second and First encounter: what TSE was to TFE, that’s what SS4 will be compared to SS3.

With „The Talos Principle“ a new page has opened for Croteam. Apart from the things we know, what is your next move? Are we going to have another game like Talos in the future?

We have dozens of ideas up our sleeves, but our fans can be certain that we’ll give them new Serious Sam game, as well as new Talos game. And who knows, maybe we slip something in between.

voodooray

Picked this up after hearing the good buzz, and absolutely loving it!

Just a question about those stars, are they able to be obtained any time, or do some only become accessible later on? I can swear blind I've scoured the map, but I'll be damned if I can find some of them!

Picked this up after hearing the good buzz, and absolutely loving it!

Just a question about those stars, are they able to be obtained any time, or do some only become accessible later on? I can swear blind I've scoured the map, but I'll be damned if I can find some of them!

As long as you have access to the level / area, all stars are available from the start. You just have to find and obtain them. They're arguably the hardest and most rewarding aspect of the game though if done without spoilers / hints.

Blizzard

Banned
Two more rave reviews, and for what it's worth, Notch and George Broussard both love it.

A Croatian site did an interview with Croteam (in English), and the last couple of questions are especially promising:
It may have been mentioned in this thread already, but Jonathan Blow (Braid, upcoming game The Witness) apparently stopped working on his compiler project for a while because he was too busy playing The Talos Principle.

He said there were a lot of object swapping puzzles, but overall his reaction seemed positive.

He also said, "People will make comparisons. Ultimately the games are very different but there are surface similarities".

*edit*

Sorry, forgot this is where I saw the Jonathan Blow comments linked.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
The concept introduced in World C, where
you record and playback an echo of activity
is very, very cool. Some puzzles throughout this have been super easy, but more or less everything you do is mentally stimulating. Very cleverly designed puzzler, one where the concepts and tools are simple on paper, so you don't have to spend half your time just working out what the puzzle is, and can instead intuitively sink in and tackle the problem of the solution.

Inkwell

Banned
I can't seem to stop thinking about this game and I'm craving more of it. I've been going back to it checking out some of the easter eggs I missed, but I've mostly just been thinking about the game. I have some observations about of the story. I'd like to analyze it a bit. Most of it is pretty obvious and I'm sure nearly everyone came to the same conclusions, but I figured I would share anyway. There's obvious spoilers, and there might even be some for people who have finished the main game but still haven't seen everything.

I originally thought that the story was solely drawing parallels to the story of Adam and Eve in the Garden of Eden. You have the whole thing about a garden paradise, and not tasting of the fruit of knowledge. It was then flipped on its head, and that's where all the stuff about philosophy, consciousness, free will, AI, and all that other stuff comes into play. I won't be getting into any of that, although I would love to see more discussion about it. My analysis is heavy on Christian symbolism. I'm not saying that the game is Christian (in fact it's really more of the opposite). I'm just trying to do something more along the lines of an academic/literary critique.

Did you ever think about why all of the hub areas are underground? I believe this is very intentional. It's obvious that the climb at the end is almost like ascending Jacob's Ladder as you're trying to reach "heaven", but I think they wanted all of the garden areas to symbolize death or hell, and Elohim is the devil/Satan. Each area of the game is dead and in ruins. You complete the ending where you choose Elohim in area C. If you do this, you are terminated and start over at the beginning of the game.

This becomes more apparent if you complete the game with the Blessed Messenger ending. In order to get this ending, you need to collect all of the white sigils in the star rooms. You enter the code from those rooms into a terminal in the tower to unlock the 6th floor. First of all, when you select floor 6 you go down and go under the tower. Strange huh? After solving the sigil puzzle there you enter a teleporter and are entombed like the other 3 Blessed Messengers you can come across in the game. Again, more death underground. Along with this there's something else to keep in mind. The number 6 can be viewed as a little special, symbolizing something close to godhood (7), but not quite. It can be seen as evil or satanic.

I think the playable character is supposed to be seen as kind of a Christ figure. It's a very common trope. The story of Jesus has him descending into hell/Sheol before ascending into heaven. Keeping what I've said previously in mind, this is exactly what you do in the game.

On a final note, I wonder if the developers were influenced by the Twilight Zone episode called "The Hunt". I won't spoil anything if you haven't seen it. I highly recommend watching it. In fact, watch the whole series while you're at it.

There. It was a bit rushed but I was running out of time and have to leave for work soon. I'd love to see other people's insights into the story and the questions the game asks.

I wish more people here were buying this game.
What are you doing GAF.

Possibly people are waiting for Holiday sale or PS4 version.

Holiday sale people will be disappointed.
Devolver confirmed sale price.

@devolverdigital: Public Service Announcement: The Talos Principle will remain 10% off through the length of a hypothetical Steam Holiday Sale. No more/less.

Blizzard

Banned
Considering the game just came out, has a free Steam demo, and had literally 99% positive reviews on Steam when I checked earlier today, I certainly think it's reasonable for them to keep the price up for now.

I actually met a random guy at a movie theater who thought he played the game and it was free, until I told him that it must have been the demo.

SparkTR

GOTY 2014. Talos Principle, Divinity Original Sin or Endless Legend. Leaning towards Talos Principle, the game is great.

Inkwell

Banned
It might have been today's update, but I just noticed that the steam workshop is now working. One of the items adds 7 new laser colors. Oh dear. Those lasers were my Achilles heel for this game when there were only 2 colors to worry about. :(

I was already worried about how difficult some of the user made levels would be before I saw this...

epmode

I like the lasers. My problem is the (2nd area spoiler)
clone
thing. Even though those puzzles aren't all that difficult, they often don't make sense to me until I spend some time screwing around.
The way the same object can exist in two locations at once is a little crazy!
And the nature of those puzzles means that there's a lot of waiting for stuff to happen.

Inkwell

Banned
I like the lasers. My problem is the (2nd area spoiler)
clone
thing. Even though those puzzles aren't all that difficult, they often don't make sense to me until I spend some time screwing around.
The way the same object can exist in two locations at once is a little crazy!
And the nature of those puzzles means that there's a lot of waiting for stuff to happen.

There's a puzzle in the area C star room that I think is called Unreachable Garden. It uses a laser. I completely cheated my way to the sigil. I even wondered if it was actually the correct solution due to the name of the puzzle. A little after I finished the game, I decided to look up a video to see if there was another solution. I actually figured out how to do the puzzle before the guy in the video did. It was so strange that while actually playing the game it stumped me, but after only watching a few seconds of video the solution just came to me.

Blizzard

Banned
I found two different unintentional ways to get a certain star in a C level before finding the actual easier way to do it: Early C level spoiler:
I stole a cube and a connector at the same time from the huge castle. Then I found a way to get a jammer inside a level up on a wall. Eventually I actually found the correct puzzle that just lets you put a jammer on a floor to get the star.

There was another star near the end of C that was a huge pain to set up so for all I know I may have done that one in an unintentional way too. Spoiler for the C Dumbwaiter level:
I ended up climbing onto a low-resolution asset next to one puzzle and putting a connector there, in order to activate the gate. I could not find any other in-puzzle or in-level location to put a connector that could see the hovering red laser connector from a different puzzle.

In general, most times where I'm outside a level, on top of a wall, and/or a laser is just barely making it around obstacles, I kind of worry I'm missing an easier solution. :p As a side result, I've become very experienced at jumping my way out of, and on top of, levels.

Gazoinks

Just finished Three Little Connectors... and a Fan in section C. I am clearly a genius.

This game really does a great job at making you feel like a super genius whenever you complete puzzles.

Well, aside from the few times I missed something obvious or accidentally completed a puzzle and felt like a doofus. :p

Tak3n

Banned
am I the only one who keeps expecting to hear muffled screams from over the hill everytime I go in a new level :)

also I wanted this game but £27 in the UK is to much, however you can get it for 8 keys on tf2 and it is the ROW version :)

billsmugs

I'm close to the end of the game now and really enjoying it. Unfortunately I think it released too late to get onto a lot of media GOTY lists. Hopefully the PS4 release next year will give it a chance for the 2015 lists, because it really deserves the recognition.

Can anyone who has completed the game let me know whether or not I should try to get all the stars before
doing the top section of the tower up the stairs after the floor 5 puzzle? I've only got to the very first part and Elohim's dialogue suggests that it's the end of the game.
Just a simple "yes" "no" or "it doesn't matter" is enough, I don't want any details or spoilers!

am I the only one who keeps expecting to hear muffled screams from over the hill everytime I go in a new level :)

also I wanted this game but £27 in the UK is to much, however you can get it for 8 keys on tf2 and it is the ROW version :)

I don't know why it's priced so highly in the UK. I bought it from the Humble Store last week for £17.71, and even now the early deal is over it's less than £20 there when you convert from USD. It's definitely worth full price, but it seems a bit daft to charge so much more in GBP compared to USD, especially when it's so easy to buy digital titles from other countries.

Sciz

Can anyone who has completed the game let me know whether or not I should try to get all the stars before
doing the top section of the tower up the stairs after the floor 5 puzzle? I've only got to the very first part and Elohim's dialogue suggests that it's the end of the game.
Just a simple "yes" "no" or "it doesn't matter" is enough, I don't want any details or spoilers!

The very top is a point of no return, as you guessed, but you can restore an earlier save and clean up the stars after the fact.

Gazoinks

On the subject of stars: Are the rooms you unlock with them story-related, or are they just like bonus challenge rooms? Wondering whether I should prioritize going after them, or do it more at my leisure.

Sciz

On the subject of stars: Are the rooms you unlock with them story-related, or are they just like bonus challenge rooms? Wondering whether I should prioritize going after them, or do it more at my leisure.

Each one has a terminal, with the sort of content those come with, and there's a small extra ending for clearing them all. Feel free to save it for after you've cleared the game proper.

Top Bottom