• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Talos Principle |OT| It's Serious Puzzling, Sam (PS4 port out now!)

Aaron D.

So yeah, I picked this up today using a GMG -25% coupon.

After roughly 2 hours each between the Public Test demo and the retail version, it looks like I'm going to be editing this into top half of my GOTY Top 10.

Dang this title is golden.

Notch just posted a video of an alternate way to do the final puzzle. Spoilers ahead:
Really cool method of doing the final tower puzzle without the help of the robot. Pretty awesome to see and there's even a little easter egg kinda thing at the end with one of the developer robots showing up to help. Definitely worth checking out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gKF1_hwkJKA

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
that video is impressive (and weirdly sad at the same time)

(don't watch it unless you've finished the game)

The star puzzles are so inconsistent with their difficulty. One of them is just
use a box to jump over a wall. Compare that with the clock one. The one I'm stuck on atm is the one in B where you have to get up a ledge by the entrance of the tomb. You find a key on a rock, which I assume you need to get the star or to get a box from somewhere to jump up by the tomb entrance. I'm probably miles off with this one.

Kanhir

Played an alpha version at Gamescom and it convinced me. This game will definitely be mine
on the last day of the sale.

Played an alpha version at Gamescom and it convinced me. This game will definitely be mine
on the last day of the sale.
They did announce it won't go for less this sale, so unless you expect them to contradict themselves, don't wait for a daily discount.

Danj

stingerf3kmx.jpg

Sorry if this already got explained but why is there a cute kitty? Are there cats in the game?

voodooray

Notch just posted a video of an alternate way to do the final puzzle. Spoilers ahead:
Really cool method of doing the final tower puzzle without the help of the robot. Pretty awesome to see and there's even a little easter egg kinda thing at the end with one of the developer robots showing up to help. Definitely worth checking out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gKF1_hwkJKA

Wow, that was great! There was at least one place I saw that a few seconds could have been shaved off. Speed runs of this will be great.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
This sounds really great. I'll buy it as soon as possible on PS4.

Tizoc

ATM 2 puzzles have stumped me, one in A6 and another in A7. If I don't manage them when I play again I'll just go to Area B and continue the game.

BTW I find some buckets in the puzzle hubworlds, what're those for?

This sounds really great. I'll buy it as soon as possible on PS4.

Is it out on PSN? When did they say the PS4 release would be?
...and for eff's sake please have no screen tearing and an option for locked 30 FPS.

Inkwell

Banned
ATM 2 puzzles have stumped me, one in A6 and another in A7. If I don't manage them when I play again I'll just go to Area B and continue the game.

BTW I find some buckets in the puzzle hubworlds, what're those for?

Is it out on PSN? When did they say the PS4 release would be?
...and for eff's sake please have no screen tearing and an option for locked 30 FPS.

Buckets are for painting QR codes on walls.

I think they have just said Q1 of 2015 for the PS4 release, and I can't see the game having frame rate or tearing issues.

Tizoc

Buckets are for painting QR codes on walls.

I think they have just said Q1 of 2015 for the PS4 release, and I can't see the game having frame rate or tearing issues.

Oh how do I do that lol, can I enter my own lines of text that way?

I'll double dip on PS4 ver. as long as performance is good.

Inkwell

Banned
Oh how do I do that lol, can I enter my own lines of text that way?

I'll double dip on PS4 ver. as long as performance is good.

First you pick it up using the action key. Once you're holding it walk up to a wall and it should give you a prompt to paint it. After that you have a few choices of what you can't paint. Some of what you can paint depends on what choices you've made. I think you can earn a few more by playing the free Sigils of Elohim game.

Tizoc

First you pick it up using the action key. Once you're holding it walk up to a wall and it should give you a prompt to paint it. After that you have a few choices of what you can't paint. Some of what you can paint depends on what choices you've made. I think you can earn a few more by playing the free Sigils of Elohim game.

Thanks.

Tizoc

Oh Eloheim, I entered B-1 and my framerate tanked to 20 FPS and lower!
This game has WAY too many graphics options, I followed some suggestions but it still gives uneven frame rate.
Gonna settle with running this at Medium-Low settings, just wish it could be optimized via NVidia Experience so that from there I can tweak what I want to lower or increase to get a stable framerate.

Also the puzzles are getting harder now, but I'm suspecting if I unlock more items their solutions become more apparent.

It's still a GotY contender for me but I'll finish it up or as much of it as possible before I do my write up of it.

One minor complaint though: The Jumping animation is rather disappointing.

archagon

Neo Member
Question: I love exploration-heavy games with lots of secrets and mysteries, but I'm not too keen on "puzzly" puzzles (in the vein of Sokoban). Like, the Talos demo piqued my interest, but I can't imagine I would enjoy doing those laser leapfrog puzzles for hours at a time. Portal (and to a lesser extent, Portal 2) struck a good balance: while nominally a puzzle game, you solved most of those puzzles by physically experimenting with the Portal gun. Rarely did you have to hunker down and spend a few minutes just thinking. There was also a lot of platforming and exploration: the portal gun wasn't just a gimmick, but the primary way of interacting with your environment.

Is the Talos Principle like that too, or is it mostly intellectual-type puzzles with tangential exploration? (If that makes any sense.) Also, do the puzzles vary, or is it still the same laser enabling/disabling stuff the whole way through?

Question: I love exploration-heavy games with lots of secrets and mysteries, but I'm not too keen on "puzzly" puzzles (in the vein of Sokoban). Like, the Talos demo piqued my interest, but I can't imagine I would enjoy doing those laser leapfrog puzzles for hours at a time. Portal (and to a lesser extent, Portal 2) struck a good balance: while nominally a puzzle game, you solved most of those puzzles by physically experimenting with the Portal gun. Rarely did you have to hunker down and spend a few minutes just thinking. There was also a lot of platforming and exploration: the portal gun wasn't just a gimmick, but the primary way of interacting with your environment.

Is the Talos Principle like that too, or is it mostly intellectual-type puzzles with tangential exploration? (If that makes any sense.) Also, do the puzzles vary, or is it still the same laser enabling/disabling stuff the whole way through?

More of the latter. Puzzles do have much more variety than lasers and jammers though, there's a handful of mechanics that get unlocked and in the latter part of the game most puzzles are a mix of 3 or more of them. There's plenty of exploration with secrets though, but figuring out how to get to get to those secrets is usually a (harder) puzzle in and of itself.

Really hard to say as Portal uses the gun to navigate the environment, it can definitely feel faster and more twitch / reflex heavy. The Talos Principle is definitely a slower pace and requires thinking a lot of the time, I mean it is a puzzle game afterall. However the exploration is 100% there. The environments are great to explore as there are sooo many easter eggs, secrets, hidden rooms, terminals and the like and you'll often be rewarded for doing so. There is definitely "down-time" in this game so it's not like you have to hammer out puzzle room after puzzle room if you choose not to do that.

It's hard to describe but the game is made up of hub worlds. In those hub worlds are usually 7 puzzle rooms and two other rooms. With each puzzle room containing an average of 4-6 puzzles per room and they all have varying environments based upon the hub world you're in. They almost all contain secrets and have room to explore. Yeah, Inception like confusion but makes sense when you play.

One of the highlights of the game for me was collecting the stars. Stars are usually hidden in secret locations within the world's environment and you have to use tools from inside the puzzle rooms collectively to obtain the secret stars. It requires you to think outside the box and can be very challenging but so good when you figure it out because the game makes you feel like you broke it by using items you weren't "supposed" to. Again, hard to explain but makes sense when you play.

The puzzles vary as you go on. Introducing new mechanics and tools you can use as you move through all the worlds. Lasers and jammers are key items you will use for a lot of puzzles but the game does change it up and all of the puzzles seem to build on each other and they don't really feel too samey. The game will make you feel like a genius.

It's hard to say if you'll like it, as it does require a lot of thinking, some puzzles are challenging, some are easy but it's all rewarding. My advice is, if you liked Portal and enjoyed the test, then you'll enjoy the game. It's a really awesome puzzle game that incorporates genius puzzle design, a lot of exploration and it's fair share of platforming, a plethora of secrets and not once did I feel it was like a chore when I played. The game constantly felt fresh to me all the way until the end. Sorry for the wall of text but hope it helps.

archagon

Neo Member
Thanks for the comments! Maybe I'll pick it up during the sale. I really enjoyed finding the stars in the demo as well, though that last one in the cage outside ended up stumping me.

Tizoc

Man I hate the isloationism int his game.

I was in B1 or B2, the one where there small water pools and a puzzle area at each side of the area. After getting the Northen Yellow piece, I come outside the room
only to see another robot running towards me and screaming. Scared the shit out of me lol

Just a question, what's up with the PlayStation exclusivity?

I remember Devolver having presence at one of Sony's conferences and it seems that games like Hotline Miami are never coming to Xbox

Is Talos the same way? Why?

Sciz

Just a question, what's up with the PlayStation exclusivity?

I remember Devolver having presence at one of Sony's conferences and it seems that games like Hotline Miami are never coming to Xbox

Is Talos the same way? Why?

Presumably it's because of Microsoft's "launch day and date with the PS4 version or not at all" policy for indie releases, if I'm remembering their terms correctly.

Feep

Banned
Going through this whenever I can score some free time, and all I can say is...wow.

Shocked and dismayed the OT for this isn't longer. Absolutely loving some of the early red puzzles. Incredibly polished stuff, close/equal to Portal 2 levels.

Absolutely astounding work thus far, worth the premium and then some.

I'm on A6, I think, solving every puzzle as I go.

Edit: Just did Bichromatic Connector in A6 and it was AMAZING. So clever. So good. Will progress slowly due to crunch time, but I eagerly await more.

Sciz

I was tempted to go with "As Good as Portal" for the tagline, but ultimately decided against anything clickbaity given that I hadn't played the game myself yet. In retrospect I kinda wish I'd taken the chance and run with it.

If you're that impressed and you haven't even gotten out of A yet, I'd love to hear what you think once you hit some of the later milestones, because it gets better.

The music in the
islands
is sensational.

Definitely my favourite game this year. I didn't manage to get all the stars, but I'll certainly be going back for them.

That Notch video was ridiculous. He's a genius. And yet he only thought to do that because he didn't understand the achievement!

Blizzard

Banned
The music in the
islands
is sensational.

Definitely my favourite game this year. I didn't manage to get all the stars, but I'll certainly be going back for them.

That Notch video was ridiculous. He's a genius. And yet he only thought to do that because he didn't understand the achievement!
Regarding your spoiler tag with music, do you mean the:

Floating islands through the wood-blocked doors? Or are there other islands I'm not aware of how to get to yet? I think I saw some off the coast of an earlier level, but they were presumably blocked off or easter egg areas.

I still haven't finished the final area of the game so I'm avoiding other spoilers. I will say that although it's good to avoid overhype, this game probably is the closest I've played to Portal and Portal 2 in terms of the lonely theme, the clever puzzles, and the quality (though the Talos Principle does not really aim for quirky humor of course). I am very happy I grabbed it.

Regarding your spoiler tag with music, do you mean the:

Floating islands through the wood-blocked doors? Or are there other islands I'm not aware of how to get to yet? I think I saw some off the coast of an earlier level, but they were presumably blocked off or easter egg areas.

I still haven't finished the final area of the game so I'm avoiding other spoilers. I will say that although it's good to avoid overhype, this game probably is the closest I've played to Portal and Portal 2 in terms of the lonely theme, the clever puzzles, and the quality (though the Talos Principle does not really aim for quirky humor of course). I am very happy I grabbed it.

The former.

This music: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q73TyY3dOTM

Some of Jonas's writing for the voiced dialog is pretty hammy and heavy handed, but Jubert's stuff is strong throughout.

Really strong game, almost universally strong puzzle design. I say almost, because there are a few levels (I'm suspicious they might be designed by the same person) that are, what I refer to as busy work puzzles. The solution is pretty quick to present itself, but you then have to do tedious running to and fro to set things up to make it happen.

It's not excessive, but stacked next to the other strong work in the puzzle designs they stand out as a little bothersome.

Tizoc

So guys and gals, I'd like some insight on what I should do as I've reached Bunker C
I'm about to get the last Yellow piece and unlock what may just be the final ability. Now in Bunker C, there's an axe I can pick up which I can use to break open the wooden planks, but what do those portals do? Are they shortcuts to the other Bunkers?

Honestly I'm kinda 'creeped out' about how I should progress; should I get the remaining Red pieces? Should I go through the door in Bunker C?
I haven't even done any of the puzzle rooms in Bunker C, and honestly the isloationism is getting to me >_>;
Sorry I'm kinda of a scaredy cat that way ^^;

Inkwell

Banned
So guys and gals, I'd like some insight on what I should do as I've reached Bunker C
I'm about to get the last Yellow piece and unlock what may just be the final ability. Now in Bunker C, there's an axe I can pick up which I can use to break open the wooden planks, but what do those portals do? Are they shortcuts to the other Bunkers?

Honestly I'm kinda 'creeped out' about how I should progress; should I get the remaining Red pieces? Should I go through the door in Bunker C?
I haven't even done any of the puzzle rooms in Bunker C, and honestly the isloationism is getting to me >_>;
Sorry I'm kinda of a scaredy cat that way ^^;

Go ahead, try going through that one portal behind the planks. I won't say where it takes you, but it's not a shortcut. Don't worry about how you progress. Even if you stumble into one of the endings (none of which you can get yet), you can load a save game from just before and continue exploring/collecting things.

Tizoc

Go ahead, try going through that one portal behind the planks. I won't say where it takes you, but it's not a shortcut. Don't worry about how you progress. Even if you stumble into one of the endings (none of which you can get yet), you can load a save game from just before and continue exploring/collecting things.

Just so you know, I trust Eloheim as much as I can uh...delete him...if I could...which I would...if I could.

Tizoc

So I decided to watch a video of how to get all 30 Stars...and damn are these are deceptively well hidden lol.
Well got all Yellow Blocks, I don't get why the red blocks remain for me to collect when
they go against what Elohim has been warning you about throughout the game

Sciz

Well got all Yellow Blocks, I don't get why the red blocks remain for me to collect when
they go against what Elohim has been warning you about throughout the game

As far as he's concerned, it's not an issue of whether or not you have the red sigils, only what you do with them. So much the better if you collect them all and still stay faithful.

Tizoc

@Sciz- Nice test of faith there, heh. Man looking forward to getting this on PS4 and having my brother play it. I only used YT to solve one puzzle which taught me a neat way to solve any similar ones.

Loving the game, but the star puzzles are really hit and miss.

The sphynx one is ridiculous.

OF COURSE THERE'D BE ONE IN THE SPHINX.

Blizzard

Banned
I'm trying to find all the stars myself. I haven't looked up YouTube for any stars yet, but some are pretty crazy. It's also great when you go through a very fiddly series of jumps or something, finally get to an out-of-the-way place and discover...it's not a star, it's an easter egg, and you're possibly still missing the star in the level. ;_;

Tizoc

Well I said eff' it and went through the
the one in Bunker C.
...I am now stuck at the jigsaw after opening the door via the red and blue lights, oi vey

Inkwell

Banned
Well I said eff' it and went through the
the one in Bunker C.
...I am now stuck at the jigsaw after opening the door via the red and blue lights, oi vey

I don't remember what that one is like, but they can definitely be a pain to complete. I was playing Sigils of Elohim on my phone and was stuck on one of those puzzles for a few days. I've found a few tricks that seem to help a little bit.

First one is with those z and s shaped pieces. At the start of a puzzle I always position at least one of them by rotating it once, and putting it in the top left corner (s) or top right corner (z). It usually allows you to fit pieces around it quite easily. You can keep them un-rotated and place them on the bottom corner of the same side too. No matter what, I always try to place them first around the edge.

Second is a bit more tedious. I try to complete the puzzles as best I can. I usually have one piece left that won't fit. I then begin to shift pieces around one by one. A lot of times the last hole is shaped like another piece so I will take that piece from another place and put it there. Of course, then there is a gap that's the same shape where it came from. I then shift a different shaped piece there and fit it as best as possible trying to only leave a single gap. It usually makes a new gap shaped like one of the other pieces, and I move the appropriate piece there. Just keep repeating this and you will eventually solve it.

Top Bottom