• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Talos Principle |OT| It's Serious Puzzling, Sam (PS4 port out now!)

jiggles

Banned
Question: I went to the tower a few hour's play ago and
spent some of my reds opening the first door

It's unlikely I can go back to before that point now. Have I locked myself out of one of the endings? By the looks of the achievements, it sounds like I might have.

Question: I went to the tower a few hour's play ago and
spent some of my reds opening the first door

It's unlikely I can go back to before that point now. Have I locked myself out of one of the endings? By the looks of the achievements, it sounds like I might have.

You can go back via the restore backup option if you haven't overlapped that point yet by getting more sigils, but since you say it's unlikely you can go back, I'm going to assume you've tried that.

Anyway, you have definitely in no way locked yourself out of any endings. If you choose to use the red sigils as you get them or all at once when you have them all, it doesn't really matter. The only thing you will miss out on is the achievement "Hedging My Bets" which you get if you only choose to begin ascending the tower once you have them all. As for endings, you can still get all of the variants from this point forwards.

Blizzard

Banned
You can go back via the restore backup option if you haven't overlapped that point yet by getting more sigils, but since you say it's unlikely you can go back, I'm going to assume you've tried that.

Anyway, you have definitely in no way locked yourself out of any endings. If you choose to use the red sigils as you get them or all at once when you have them all, it doesn't really matter. The only thing you will miss out on is the achievement "Hedging My Bets" which you get if you only choose to begin ascending the tower once you have them all. As for endings, you can still get all of the variants from this point forwards.
Ouch, I was afraid of that. I think I would have to play the vast majority of the game again to get that achievement then, and I wanted to get all the achievements. D:

Ouch, I was afraid of that. I think I would have to play the vast majority of the game again to get that achievement then, and I wanted to get all the achievements. D:

I know the feeling, dude. My first time playing I actually got all the red sigils before even entering the tower and I didn't even know about the achievement so that was lucky. I did however mess up getting the "solipsist" achievement which requires you to finish the game without using the "messenger altar" for help. I literally did it in the last puzzle room just to see what it did as I'd not tried it yet. Oh well, hahaha.

jiggles

Banned
I can't do Prison Break. I get to the point where I have two cubes and then I'm just going around in circles.

I get that I have to get a connector on a cube on the fan, because when I've been up there myself, I can see most of the target points and the blue emitter, but it seems like it can't be done until you have two connectors in the main area, because you can't start the fans *from* the fans. I can see a second connector, but I can't open the door without two in the first place.

Must've spent an hour on it just now and got nowhere.

EDIT Went back and cracked it. FUCK YEAH

Tizoc

OK so I got that final jigsaw I was talking about and umm
I got a question mark...what do i do now? Go back to Bunker C and try to go through the big door?

Inkwell

Banned
OK so I got that final jigsaw I was talking about and umm
I got a question mark...what do i do now? Go back to Bunker C and try to go through the big door?
You got a messenger relic, which unlocks hints. I'm not quite sure how they are used. I saw those alter type things where you would get hints, but I'm not sure if they were needed for that, or if the relics just grant you extra hints.

Just keep collecting red sigils. You won't be able to do much of anything until you finish collecting all of them.

Shahadan

I'm so annoyed right now. I'm really bad at the tetris puzzles thingies at the doors and I have no patience for them.

So I'm stuck on the 5th floor of the tower. I have tried to look for walkthroughs and stuff but the charming people making them skip that part =_=
Of course.

Edit: Gamefaqs saves the day once again! There is a separate section. I'm so relieved right now. Stupid blocks :p

Blizzard

Banned
I'm so annoyed right now. I'm really bad at the tetris puzzles thingies at the doors and I have no patience for them.

So I'm stuck on the 5th floor of the tower. I have tried to look for walkthroughs and stuff but the charming people making them skip that part =_=
Of course.

Edit: Gamefaqs saves the day once again! There is a separate section. I'm so relieved right now. Stupid blocks :p
Some of the biggest Tetris block things took me quite a while to solve. I might have left, come back later, and finally gotten past.

Tizoc

Talos Principle has been among the top 20 sellers for the past week or so, glad to see more people giving it a chance and hope it'll sell well for Develover and the devs :)

Aaron D.

Yeah, that late-game puzzle mechanic of
recording a clone of yourself
really drove me nuts. I had a hard time wrapping my head around some of the rule sets.

I really wish Talos Principle had released earlier in the year as I think it would have been a big part of the GOTY conversations in the press. I know it shot to the top of my list after giving it a go.

I really wish Talos Principle had released earlier in the year as I think it would have been a big part of the GOTY conversations in the press. I know it shot to the top of my list after giving it a go.

Yeah, had it been out earlier it would've been all over everyone's lists. I bought and finished it within the last week, and it was super fantastic - well worth it.

Feep

Banned
Finally finished it off today, every puzzle.

Easily a 9/10, and my GotY for 2014. I solved every baseline puzzle myself with no hints, but I needed to look up around 30-40% of the stars...some of those are absolutely absurd.

A little disappointed with the Gray Sigil ending...I like to see greater rewards for that type of thing...but oh well. I think they probably could have cut 10-15 of the weaker puzzles to make it a more polished experience overall...while C6 and C7 were excellent, it felt like a lot of rehashes for the earlier part of C...but still awesome stuff.

Blizzard

Banned
Without spoilers, do your conversations with Milton change anything, story wise?
On that note, is there any way to look up the name of it after the first few computer screens? I thought that was its name, but I could not find ANY of the logs that actually mention it by name.

KScorp

On that note, is there any way to look up the name of it after the first few computer screens? I thought that was its name, but I could not find ANY of the logs that actually mention it by name.

No. His name is not saved in the logs.
You can ask him his name during one of your conversations with him, which aren't saved.

Without spoilers, do your conversations with Milton change anything, story wise?

Yes. There are three different Milton endings I believe all tied to achievements. They can vary the story slightly as you near the end game.
Not sure if that's what you meant but hope it helped!

KScorp

Yes. There are three different Milton endings I believe all tied to achievements. They can vary the story slightly as you near the end game.
Not sure if that's what you meant but hope it helped!

Yeah, that's what I wanted to know. Thanks!

I played a few hours of this and I am intrigued and enjoying it so far,

1. I took a bit of philosophy and Greek mythology in high school, but I'm afraid not a lot of it stuck. Is it a good idea to look up philosophers or mythological figures on google/wikipedia if they don't ring a bell, or is that not necessary?

2. There are posters with QR codes spread around the world, and most display a short message when you look at them (presumably that message is the translation of the QR code?). However, some don't. Is that supposed to happen, or is it a bug? Should I be scanning these QR codes manually?

EDIT: Like this: http://i.imgur.com/CEUAqMD.jpg

Sorry if these questions have been answered before in this thread, I didn't want to read it for fear of spoilers. Thanks in advance!

Sciz

Familiarity with classical philosophy not required, no. The principle itself and the author it's attributed to are themselves fictional. Talos does exist, but he's explained somewhere along the line, IIRC.

Blank QR codes are meant to be manually scanned. It's also possible to manually decrypt all the garbled hex in the game, if you really want.

I played a few hours of this and I am intrigued and enjoying it so far,

1. I took a bit of philosophy and Greek mythology in high school, but I'm afraid not a lot of it stuck. Is it a good idea to look up philosophers or mythological figures on google/wikipedia if they don't ring a bell, or is that not necessary?

2. There are posters with QR codes spread around the world, and most display a short message when you look at them (presumably that message is the translation of the QR code?). However, some don't. Is that supposed to happen, or is it a bug? Should I be scanning these QR codes manually?

EDIT: Like this: http://i.imgur.com/CEUAqMD.jpg

Sorry if these questions have been answered before in this thread, I didn't want to read it for fear of spoilers. Thanks in advance!

1. I don't think that's really necessary, the game is pretty much self contained but if you do like the story as you go through and finish the game you can always read up about it afterwards. Alternatively, check out the Steam thread about preliminary readings. One of the writer's suggests things you could read: http://steamcommunity.com/app/257510/discussions/0/540744935336803403/

2. That code in particular is pretty significant. Doing it manually is a good idea if they don't show text, so you're on the right track!

Just got this game but I'm having heaps of technical issues. I can't change any graphical settings (res/AA) with out the game freezing at a black screen. Any ideas?

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
Finally beat the game by way of
ascending the tower
. The puzzles didn't really feel that interesting to me compared to other games in the genre, like Q.U.B.E. or Quantum Conundrum, but I really dig the story they built around it. The ending was very well done and brought more things together than I expected it to, by
teaming you up with Shepard against the cynical Samara.

The philosophy theme also really tied everything together quite nicely. In the beginning,
I expected the story to be a tool to advance understanding of philosophy, but looking back it seemed like philosophy was the tool to define the characters and advance the story.
Really neat how that all was done.

It was a very enjoyable experience.

AngryMoth

Just beat this. It was fantastic, easily one of the best games from last year.

Really cool story and I love the way it's told, as you slowly uncover it as you progress through the game.

The puzzles are for the most part very well designed and fun to solve, athough about half way through once I'd learnt most of the tricks the difficulty curve leveled off and I could breeze through a lot of them without much trouble. Some of them make it pretty obvious what to do because you only really have one new option at a time. That said there were difinitely some major head scratchers and I haven't got all the stars yet.

That reminds me, only time I went and looked up a solution was after I spent an hour trying to get a particularly tricky stari n world C.
There was a gate with a red receptor next to it, and I was trying figure out how to guide a beam from another puzzle room into it. Turns out it was a red herring and the real solution was to use a replay and a platform to just jump over the gate. I was very angry at whoever put that receptor there lol.

Man, I can't believe how good this was, came out of nowhere for me. Highly recommended to anyone one the fence. Loads of content too, my playtime is 18 hours and I haven't touched the star worlds yet.

Played the demo on my MacBook Air. Surprisingly it ran decent, and I was planning on buy it until I just saw it is coming to PS4. From what I read it was suppose to come out by end the of 2014, but now I am seeing Q1 2015. Has there been anything official on the release date or is that just a guess? I am almost tempted to buy for my MacBook, and buy it again for the PS4, but if it is out before the end of March I can wait.

Sciz

Q1 2015 has always been the official PS4 launch window.

edit: As long as this is back up, I should mention that Croteam is holding a postmortem for the game at GDC this year. Should be fascinating.

dex3108

Damn this game is really good. It is challenging enough and story is really good. I spent more than 8 hours and i am in second world and i just want to play more and more :D

Who doesn't own this game go to Steam and download demo at least and you will be surprised.

KingKong

Pretty sure you need all of them

Hmm ok

I really enjoyed the first zone, and most of the second zone but I have to say the third zone is wearing me down. Maybe they don't introduce enough new elements, but it just feels like I have so few things to interact with that besides some of the more clever ones (like putting a box on a mine) I'm going through the same basic motions

but of course I've only done a few stars so I assume I'm missing the best ones

Psykoboy2

DLC is coming. Then they will release Serious Sam 4.

They are really itching to work on Talos 2, however. They are overflowing with story ideas for the game.

PS4 release is probably going to happen in February or March.

We've still heard nothing on the PS4 port.. this looks so awesome that I need it:(

Have people enjoyed it? This and The Witness seem to make 2015 a good year for puzzles!

wouwie

Isn't it still meant to be Q1? So it should be soon! This and Ori could make March an awesome month for indie's if it isn't delayed.

Agreed. I look forward to both these games so much. I wish there was some news about the PS4 version though. Is it finished and with Sony for testing yet? And to think that The Witness might be released this year too...

Agreed. I look forward to both these games so much. I wish there was some news about the PS4 version though. Is it finished and with Sony for testing yet? And to think that The Witness might be released this year too...

We don't know whether it is done for testing - there's no mention of it on their Twitter.

The Witness has been delayed too much, with the fact that all the puzzles are done I think it is certain for this year to be honest.

Blizzard

Banned
I still need to finish The Talos Principle. I really liked it, but I guess my momentum got killed when I died once on the final level, and then realized that to get 100% of the achievements I'll apparently have to replay
the entire game since I visited the tower very early on.
:'( Maybe I'll remember some of the puzzle solutions, but that's still a LOT of puzzle re-solving to get the rest of the achievements.

Top Bottom