• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Talos Principle |OT| It's Serious Puzzling, Sam (PS4 port out now!)

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
in hindsight, this is probably the most memorable game I've played in a while. Especially with the DLC.

Ive put aside the game after beating it

Ill probably replay it for the platinum.

Going to play the DLC soon.

I have to say, I really enjoyed the mystery of the game. Im actually finding myself disappointed for finding out the ending lol

Blizzard

Banned
Ive put aside the game after beating it

Ill probably replay it for the platinum.

Going to play the DLC soon.

I have to say, I really enjoyed the mystery of the game. Im actually finding myself disappointed for finding out the ending lol
I was a little disappointed with the ending too, but still liked the game. I plan to play the DLC.

Sciz

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
If o get one ending can I load my save and go for the others ones afterwards? I don't have to play through the entire game again do I?

Blizzard

Banned
If o get one ending can I load my save and go for the others ones afterwards? I don't have to play through the entire game again do I?
Unless you're like me and (early spoiler)
look at the tower the first chance you get
...since then you have to play through the entire game (or start at a very early save) again. I'll probably play through the whole thing again to be safe if I try for that one.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Got 2 of the endings. Getting to #2 was insane. I love this game to death lol. Finding all these stars though >.>

Yasawas

I almost didn't buy this because from what little I knew of it I was expecting a £15 PSN release, then it was more than double that with a limited physical run only available from my least favourite retailer but I'm glad I let you all convince me. I've cleared A, most of B and don't appear to have any yellow or green puzzles left so I'm fucked now :) What's really cool, and I know it's cliché but it keeps happening, is the number of times I bang my head against a room for half an hour, suspend it, then come back a few hours later and get it in ten minutes. No solution has felt cheap so far and I've been happy with how consistently well designed the rooms are.

Got to the first floor of the tower yesterday and have no idea at all what to do in there and I keep seeing stars behind locked red doors in rooms where there don't appear to be any red lasers to guide into them so plenty of mysteries still to unfold it seems. I wanted a dip-in game to tide me over until Fallout but this is a GoTY contender for me at this point, wonderful stuff.

wouwie

I finally started playing this on PS4 and i'm enjoying it a lot. It sure does have that "let's do one more puzzle" feeling and it feels satisfying to find solutions (although the puzzles have been a tad on the easy side so far). Also, it seems to have a ton of content and well worth it's price.

So yeah, great game and recommended if you like puzzle games. I look forward to spending more time with it.

Ambitious

I finally started this today, and god, I love it so much. So far I've gotten all sigils from the first area. Only two stars, though. The red sigil puzzles are incredibly challenging, but solving them is equally satisfying.

Also, my hype level for The Witness is now through the roof (again).

Atolm

I finished this game last month and it's on my top 3 of the year, no doubt. The expansion was great as well.

Blizzard

Banned
I finally started this today, and god, I love it so much. So far I've gotten all sigils from the first area. Only two stars, though. The red sigil puzzles are incredibly challenging, but solving them is equally satisfying.

Also, my hype level for The Witness is now through the roof (again).
Firewatch and The Witness are definitely two I'm looking forward to, though I imagine Firewatch will be more adventure and less logical puzzles.

About the red sigils, I think the feedback helped contribute to how satisfying the solutions could be. Not only do you solve the puzzle and have tick-tick-tick gates moving, but you finally get to that red sigil and *swish* "AHHHHHHHHH".

I sure hope typing up all these Sigils of Elohim codes are worth it! Not the best way to start playing a game typing out 40 odd characters. Glad I didn't post mine on GAF now. They're one use.

edit. Ugh they're basically cheat codes? Meh

Ambitious

Halfway through world C. I've collected all sigils in the first two worlds, but my star count remains at two. Some of them seem outright impossible to collect. I have a few ideas for some of them which I'm gonna try as soon as I'm done with the main game.

I haven't yet had to look up a solution or even a hint, so I feel pretty good about that.

Firewatch and The Witness are definitely two I'm looking forward to, though I imagine Firewatch will be more adventure and less logical puzzles.

About the red sigils, I think the feedback helped contribute to how satisfying the solutions could be. Not only do you solve the puzzle and have tick-tick-tick gates moving, but you finally get to that red sigil and *swish* "AHHHHHHHHH".

Firewatch, yes, that one too. Forgot about it. Firewatch and The Witness launch within two weeks of each other, so that's gonna be great.

Ambitious

Just completed it. I got the ending where you
leave the virtual world for reality after ascending the tower
. Unfortunately, I found only four out of all thirty stars. I don't particularly feel like searching every single level for them, so I guess I'm gonna look for a guide which describes their general locations. Plus maybe a hint or two. Afterwards, I might check out the DLC.

You can get 3 stars from the Sigils of Elohim game. I'm on 5 at the moment I think. I've seen a couple around the map that feel do-able. I expect to end on perhaps 7 or 8.

When I read the total number of stars I was like lol nope.

I just bought this game on PS4 (digital). I have really high expectations. Portal 2 is one of my favorite games of all time (Where is my remaster???) The puzzles, music and story were absolutely amazing.
I hope I won't be disappointed.

BiGBoSSMk23

A company being excited for their new game is a huge slap in the face to all the fans that liked their old games.
in hindsight, this is probably the most memorable game I've played in a while. Especially with the DLC.

I've yet to start the DLC but holy shit. GOTY for me.

No hand holding, hard as balls, masterful thematic entwining of game and narrative.

There were several instances where I was genuinely stuck and was about to throw my hands up in defeat but thinking outside the box has never felt so rewarding. Especially when it comes to acquiring all the star sigils .

Awesome Easter eggs and orchestral score too.

Will be starting road to Gehenna soon.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I've yet to start the DLC but holy shit. GOTY for me.

No hand holding, hard as balls, masterful thematic entwining of game and narrative.

There were several instances where I was genuinely stuck and was about to throw my hands up in defeat but thinking outside the box has never felt so rewarding. Especially when it comes to acquiring all the star sigils .

Awesome Easter eggs and orchestral score too.

Will be starting road to Gehenna soon.

Road to Gehanna is A+ stuff as well. I liked the stars much more (they felt a little more accomplishable).

benh57

Neo Member
Loved this game. Right up my alley. Platinumed it, and got *almost* all the stars, think i only left behind 2 or 3 in the Gehenna area. Only cheated on 2 stars.

95% of the stars can be found and figured out without too much trouble. They often require a significant amount of thinking outside the box.

Hoping for more, well worth the full price.

Got this game on Steam sales but a few things I want to know.

How annoying does the biblical stuff get? I don't particularly care for someones take on something biblical, especially since it kinda looks somewhat obvious for now.

Also, is the whole game Portal-esque in puzzle structure? I kinda hoped it would be more like a Riven or Myst game where clues are hidden throughout the world and you solve puzzles based on those clues to progress in some random area. I played about an hour and don't particularly find the puzzling great.

I'm just not really feeling it.

So, this is on sale on PS4 at the moment and I'm tempted by it but don't actually know a lot about the game. Can someone tell me what it's about? Some kind of philosophical puzzle game - does it compare to Pneuma: Breath of Life or Ether One fir example?

I was trying to work out how to do this puzzle when I discovered a different solution. Clearly I've been playing too much Nathan Drake Collection.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1uVUC0zcvCw

How did you get out?

So, this is on sale on PS4 at the moment and I'm tempted by it but don't actually know a lot about the game. Can someone tell me what it's about? Some kind of philosophical puzzle game - does it compare to Pneuma: Breath of Life or Ether One fir example?

There's a thread here that could help.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity

This game is way, way, way, way, way, way ,way, way better than Pneuma.

Wasp

How did you get out?
For a few seconds I was like...

tumblr_mf6ynyIibG1qiv5dyo1_500.gif

Then I remembered you can hold a button to suicide, resetting the puzzle but keeping any pieces you found.

bes.gen

Its extremely satisfying as a puzzle game.
really felt proud of completing it without outside help.
puzzles are close-circuit brain teasers and not connected to the storyline btw..

also a question for other players
i skipped to collect the stars (they seem to be too much of a challenge for me)
do i miss something substantial story-wise?

Sciz

Happy to see so many people enjoying the game, even if it is a year after the fact. Hit up the expansion when you're done if you haven't already, it's wonderful.

How annoying does the biblical stuff get? I don't particularly care for someones take on something biblical, especially since it kinda looks somewhat obvious for now.

Also, is the whole game Portal-esque in puzzle structure? I kinda hoped it would be more like a Riven or Myst game where clues are hidden throughout the world and you solve puzzles based on those clues to progress in some random area. I played about an hour and don't particularly find the puzzling great.

I'm just not really feeling it.

The Biblical theme is more of a launching point for the story, rather than the story being a Biblical allegory in and of itself. There's a bit more to Elohim and Milton than just being God and the snake.

And yes, the whole game is "test chambers". The difficulty of the puzzles ramps up steadily, if you're finding the early ones too simple.

also a question for other players
i skipped to collect the stars (they seem to be too much of a challenge for me)
do i miss something substantial story-wise?

There's a minor bonus ending for finding all of them, but you aren't missing anything there. The real payoff is the puzzles you unlock.

If you're super-hypersensitive to minor names and imagery taken from the popular conception of the Bible I guess it might be an issue, but it's a very minor part of the game.

The primary puzzles you need to complete to advance through the game are Portal-style test chambers that are self-contained and well-defined. There are side puzzles, some of which involve doing weird stuff in individual test chambers, and some of which take place on the overworld or across the boundaries of the test chambers, but they're not based on remote clues or anything.

I wouldn't judge the whole game on the quality of the first few puzzles, which I agree seem extremely basic and trivial. Relatively quickly it ramps up into very complex challenges that require some serious lateral thinking to resolve.

Psykoboy2

If you're super-hypersensitive to minor names and imagery taken from the popular conception of the Bible I guess it might be an issue, but it's a very minor part of the game.

Does it even mention the bible at all? I know it uses those concepts, but not in the context of anything biblical, that I remember. But it's been a good while since I've played this.

Thanks for the feedback, I'll think about it.

Does it even mention the bible at all? I know it uses those concepts, but not in the context of anything biblical, that I remember. But it's been a good while since I've played this.

In-game they mention Jewish connotations, but with english I guess I just naturally say biblical. The narrative seemed to focus on whether you ultimately follow 'the voice' or not, and it's already lost my interest. Not that I was playing for the story anyway.

Blizzard

Banned
Thanks for the feedback, I'll think about it.

In-game they mention Jewish connotations, but with english I guess I just naturally say biblical. The narrative seemed to focus on whether you ultimately follow 'the voice' or not, and it's already lost my interest. Not that I was playing for the story anyway.
I felt like it related more to Greek mythology, if anything. Even the name is Greek mythology, and the various consoles contain more mythological stories if one cares to read them.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
The playback mechanic is such a bummer in this game. I have been avoiding all of them since I started coming across them.

I was going to pick up the DLC while it is on sale but wont bother if that mechanic is used heavily in the dlc.

So how much of the DLC utilizes the playback mechanic?

Blizzard

Banned
The playback mechanic is such a bummer in this game. I have been avoiding all of them since I started coming across them.

I was going to pick up the DLC while it is on sale but wont bother if that mechanic is used heavily in the dlc.

Do you mean the puzzles are bad, or you just don't like the mechanic? I thought it was neat, but it did require some thought.

The mechanic is probably everyone's least favourite puzzle element to the game, so you're not alone. However it's barely in the DLC at all so Road to Gehenna is definitely worth playing if you're more in to lasers and boxes. In fact it only comes up in
-two-
puzzles in the DLC.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member

The thing to keep in mind: they never get too sophisticated with playback. It's application is usually very, very simple, but it's easy to overthink it. I think there's maybe one puzzle in Egypt that goes a little overboard, but it's the exception, not the rule.

Just ordered the PS4 version tonight from Amazon. Really looking forward to it. Hoping it scratches that itch I've been dealing with since Portal 2.

Tizoc

I let my nephews borrow my ps4 copy of the game, they seemed to like how it was about puzzle solving, although the little tykes had difficulty figuring out the earlier puzzles :p
I do hope they enjoy it, they seemed to move the camera around REAL fast and just not just STANDING still and rotating the camera to find paths.

lt519

Just ordered the PS4 version tonight from Amazon. Really looking forward to it. Hoping it scratches that itch I've been dealing with since Portal 2.

Definitely will, started it this weekend and the puzzles start off slow but get excellent when more tools start getting introduced. The terminal logs have a pretty good sense of humor also mixed in with some great philosophy excerpts. I got stumped for the first time last night in World B-5 after having clearing everything else fairly easily. The recorder device brings in a whole different way of thinking, much like portals did. Although I think I remember it's something Ratchet & Clank did really well too in A Crack in Time. Overall the puzzles aren't nearly as fun as Portal's because that platforming element is kind of absent, but they still scratch that itch.

Excited to see what World C brings.

The thing to keep in mind: they never get too sophisticated with playback. It's application is usually very, very simple, but it's easy to overthink it. I think there's maybe one puzzle in Egypt that goes a little overboard, but it's the exception, not the rule.

I think that might be the one I'm stuck on, the Alley of Pressures or whatever it's called. I'm super close to solving it, I need to figure out one more object to open the last door.
I think I have to use the fan as a weight as well

lt519

Finished with all the Red Sigils last night and
took MLA with me
. I have to say that was a really cool experience. I loved the laser, jamming, and box mechanics. The fans seemed to have limited use and repeated the same idea more often than not (getting a connector on a box high in the air). The shoulder plate was always tied to the playback mechanic so that was pretty limited but I did love the playback mechanic. I'd love to see a more fleshed out version of that.

The puzzles ranged from simple but complex (juggling and finding the right angles) to pretty devious and simple (putting boxes on top of mines for the first time or using a fan as a weight). The story was very neat as well; although my one suggestion would be to space out the archive entries more. Tie one to completing each challenge instead of having 3 just appear at the beginning of each hub and having to read three big walls of text at once.

Happy to say I beat it with only the help from the internet once on the very last puzzle of the game
my timer kept running out so I got annoyed and looked and I was forgetting to lower the elevator after raising The Shepard up so I could use the jammer.

On to collect all of the stars and then Gehenna.

Just completed this, and I can't believe how good it is. I also can't believe that I had barely heard anything about the game before playing it. How is this not more widely loved? It's easily up there with the Portal games in terms of quality imo.
Fantastic story, I loved all the little bits of info scattered throughout the world. I somehow still missed some terminals even though I thought I searched everywhere for them, I'll need to read up on what I missed.

From what I've read, it looks like the dlc is worth buying too, I'll need to pick it up at some point.

Sciz

Just completed this, and I can't believe how good it is. I also can't believe that I had barely heard anything about the game before playing it. How is this not more widely loved? It's easily up there with the Portal games in terms of quality imo.

Low key, $40, PC exclusive, early December release of a game that didn't have anything flashy to sell itself on, from a developer that was... not known for their puzzle design chops.

Unfortunate, but not surprising. Word of mouth seems to have been kind to it, though. Next time they do a puzzle game, people will sit up and take note.

The expansion is indeed excellent. Bring your A-game.

Top Bottom