• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS!!! |OT| April 2017 - Now Featuring Superstar Artist Brett Booth - APRIL FOALS!

Hagi

Really? I'm so nervous about eventually seeing it haha. As a Scottish guy, Trainspotting is so unbelievably on point. Lots of people here will honestly point to Braveheart when asked to point to a quintessential Scottish movie that really represents the Scots and our culture or spirit culture haha but we all know it's Trainspotting. So the prospect of a sequel that could lose that is a scary thought.

Not to say we're ALL junkies lol, but we can all look at it and say yea that's about right.

It's a scarily accurate portrayal of Edinburgh lol I haven't seen the sequel yet myself but quite a few people I know say it's good but touch doesn't the original.

Headlopper looks pretty cool, when I find where my tablet is I'll pick it up from CMX.

Really? I'm so nervous about eventually seeing it haha. As a Scottish guy, Trainspotting is so unbelievably on point. Lots of people here will honestly point to Braveheart when asked to point to a quintessential Scottish movie that really represents the Scots and our culture or character haha but we all know it's Trainspotting. So the prospect of a sequel that could lose that is a scary thought.

Not to say we're ALL junkies lol, but we can all look at it and say yea that's about right.

It's less a sequel than a remix... or a revisiting. But it's pretty cool. Nostalgic, but true to who these men would be now. I have two big gripes about it that I could share with you after you've seen it, but I'm glad I saw it.

It's a scarily accurate portrayal of Edinburgh lol I haven't seen the sequel yet myself but quite a few people I know say it's good but touch doesn't the original.

Headlopper looks pretty cool, when I find where my tablet is I'll pick it up from CMX.

It's Renton's exasperated speech to them when they go to see the countryside haha it's just so brilliantly written and even if you don't agree with everything he says, you probably know someone who thinks that exact thing in that exact way, even if they will never recognise thats why they think it. It's so good.

It's less a sequel than a remix... or a revisiting. But it's pretty cool. Nostalgic, but true to who these men would be now. I have two big gripes about it that I could share with you after you've seen it, but I'm glad I saw it.

We'll definitely have to revisit it for discussion down the line then!

Superman Rebirth #1, #1 - #6: Not really feeling this at the moment. Competent, ended on a strong note and there was more character interaction than in Action Comics but still too many pages of Superman just punching people in the face. Looks like v2 might have more potential considering the "reveal" is now out of the way.

I'm now 8 series into Rebirth and honestly, other than WW, not one of them I would put up against my New 52 Top 5.
Superman starts very action heavy, but it leans back a bit after that.

They won't be up straight away unless they change policy. Last year it was around a month before some of them were up. The Captain America one from last year is listed on CMX as June 8th, FCBD was May 7th.
I really hope my shop will have the I Hate Fairyland one when I get there. Messi, will the May thread have a list of all the FCBD issues or should I make one closer to the date and post as a OT thread?
I really like The Wild Storm, but I have that problem with it that I'm lost each issue and need to go back and re-read the previous issue. The characters are really cool, though.

Trainspotting 2 is quite good, for anyone curious.
Ellis stuff makes for the best collections.

Edit:

I've never heard a good thing about Steranko aside from his punch Bob Kane story that's probably fabricated.

Shaner confirms he isn't on New Gods but he does have a exciting project he's currently working on.

Malyse

So, Marvel is setting up an event where Captain Marvel opposes Captain America right after an event where she fought Iron Man.

Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers #14
Pretty great issue, as per usual. Interesting that
Trini managed to somehow keep the Triceratops coin. Her and Zack were the last to go in the future. And now she's the (perceived) first to go in the present. Can anyone use the coins though? Why haven't the tried to distribute the coin's power like Drakkon and Scorpina did?

Favourite Line it is Drawn piece in awhile:

line4-28-1.jpg

Theme this week is Classic Movie Posters

frye

This is actually the first I've read/heard if DeForge. Will definitely be tracking down more! Anything specific you would recommend?

You can start wherever you want with DeForge, it's all mostly pretty good. Like Maquinon said, Ant Colony is a good and recentish book of his (with a pretty nice physical release iirc) and A Body Beneath is a collection of his signature series, Lose.

Damn. Making my way through Mouse Guard: Winter 1152,and there is some really dark imagery in this one. Much of the first two core books are set in the shadow of and allude to a particularly dark time in history known as the weasel wars. During book 2, some of the mice accidently fall into an old weasel stronghold during a snowstorm and there is some really brutal stuff, both sad and straight up disturbing.

These books walk the all ages line very competently, simultaneously never bashing you over the head with the themes and thoughts and being adventurous enough for young readers, but with an undercurrent of political and social unrest older readers can think about. This is definitely the darkest part I've come across so far though with the mice encountering old war atrocities entombed of which they were previously unaware of.

Don't get me wrong, these books aren't game of thrones, but it's super interesting, and worth sharing just to say the books are more than just what they probably appear to be on face value.

Malyse

The amount of comics ending in April is obscene. I've read way too many goodbye issues this month. Hope they do something with Silk. And that something isn't murder her.

Sandfox

The amount of comics ending in April is obscene. I've read way too many goodbye issues this month. Hope they do something with Silk. And that something isn't murder her.

Well she works for SHIELD now so she can show up whenever they're used if a writer wants.

I really hope my shop will have the I Hate Fairyland one when I get there. Messi, will the May thread have a list of all the FCBD issues or should I make one closer to the date and post as a OT thread?

Ellis stuff makes for the best collections.

Edit:

I've never heard a good thing about Steranko aside from his punch Bob Kane story that's probably fabricated.

Shaner confirms he isn't on New Gods but he does have a exciting project he's currently working on.
Oh man if Steranko made up the Bob Kane punching story I'm gonna be mildly annoyed.

On the plus side, if untrue it'll be easier to accept Steranko as a terrible person who just draws real good. Fuck him for his Trump hard on.

TheFlow

Banned
Damn. Making my way through Mouse Guard: Winter 1152,and there is some really dark imagery in this one. Much of the first two core books are set in the shadow of and allude to a particularly dark time in history known as the weasel wars. During book 2, some of the mice accidently fall into an old weasel stronghold during a snowstorm and there is some really brutal stuff, both sad and straight up disturbing.

These books walk the all ages line very competently, simultaneously never bashing you over the head with the themes and thoughts and being adventurous enough for young readers, but with an undercurrent of political and social unrest older readers can think about. This is definitely the darkest part I've come across so far though with the mice encountering old war atrocities entombed of which they were previously unaware of.

Don't get me wrong, these books aren't game of thrones, but it's super interesting, and worth sharing just to say the books are more than just what they probably appear to be on face value.
I think this is the one with my favorite fight. Don't read this if you haven't got to it
the owl

Also check out mice templar as well. Very violent

I think this is the one with my favorite fight. Don't read this if you haven't got to it
the owl

Also check out mice templar as well. Very violent

Yea that's the one! I loved that as well, the way it kicks off with them speaking in the owl language and saying up front
This ends in death
. I love the way Petersen choreographs the fights in the book, this and the snake and crab fights in book one. It feels like he keeps in mind the sense of scale and he keeps away from the mice moving and acting like human stand ins, they always feel like these tiny fragile things.

And will do, I've only really saw Oeming's covers, which look great, but i've saw very little else of the series.

I just love this page...especially knowing where we have gone in Shutter. Such a delightful book.

Haha, so good. I'm only at the end of vol 2 but I can only imagine where things are going with Ca(t)ssius. I love reading!

Yea that's the one! I loved that as well, the way it kicks off with them speaking in the owl language and saying up front
This ends in death
. I love the way Petersen choreographs the fights in the book, this and the snake and crab fights in book one. It feels like he keeps in mind the sense of scale and he keeps away from the mice moving and acting like human stand ins, they always feel like these tiny fragile things.

And will do, I've only really saw Oeming's covers, which look great, but i've saw very little else of the series.
See! I told you mouse guard is awesome. I was hooked from that opening fight with the snake.

frye

Oh man if Steranko made up the Bob Kane punching story I'm gonna be mildly annoyed.

On the plus side, if untrue it'll be easier to accept Steranko as a terrible person who just draws real good. Fuck him for his Trump hard on.

man i hope that bob kane clown paintings story isn't made up too

See! I told you mouse guard is awesome. I was hooked from that opening fight with the snake.

Haha for sure dude, it really feels like Petersen throws everything into it. I'll have to pick up the legends books, I'm pretty sure he only just started illustrating what will be the 4th volume in March Hah, it's going to be a loooong wait.

Malyse

Holy shit dudes Flash was amazing this week. The Button has had an incredibly strong start.

I don't hate that I had to read a Flash comic.

----

It's interesting how much better DC is doing setting up their big event versus Marvel. I love how the button has been in the background threading through so many storylines. It's sort of similar to the way Thanos is sitting in the back of the MCU but with an even lighter touch.

Snow Day (Wazem/Aubin) was a short and fun read, a strange mix of High Noon and Fargo. The black and white art and minimal dialogue approach was perfect to depict a small snowy town.

Superman: American Alien: Holy shit, this was great. The tone and art for each of the seven issues was a perfect fit. Some of the short 1-2 pagers were really awesome too. And that final fight with Lobo, (which was only a couple of pages by the way), felt earned - and had more of an impact than 12 issues of fighting across Rebirth Action Comics/Superman.

You can start wherever you want with DeForge, it's all mostly pretty good. Like Maquinon said, Ant Colony is a good and recentish book of his (with a pretty nice physical release iirc) and A Body Beneath is a collection of his signature series, Lose.

I'll admit it's one I take off the shelf to impress company. And all of Lose is collected? Sweet beans. This would make a great gift to the weirdo in your life.

Sandfox

Some of the comments I found most interesting about the Duggan AMA regarding the new Guardians book:

I'm extremely sad that my favorite comic right now, Nova, is being cancelled. With that being said, does this mean that Richard Rider is gonna be able to show up more often in your book? I know you can't go into detail, but you did say you'd be writing Rich at some point in the future.

Yes, there are at least two very meaty plot points that bring Rich into the Guardians orbit. This run starts with a mirror of the the cinematic team, and then we go pretty hard into what I would call a series of long emergencies - we're sort of showing you more fires than we're extinguishing at first. The Guardians will be just that - playing defense against fires that threaten the whole galaxy. Plus, we haven't even talked about the weird stuff happening with the infinity stones.

Thank you for doing this. I have two questions.
What can people expect from your run?
What is going to seperate your run from the past Guardians of the Galaxy?

Well, it's tough. As creators we have to sell a book serval times. First to retailers, then to fans. I would prefer to say nothing at all. I was thinking about this earlier this week - Posehn and I sat down in UNBREAKABLE all those years ago - and we didn't even know it was a "superhero" story. I deeply sort of regret having to discuss the comics in advance, but we operate at the intersection of art & commerce - so I get it. I can only say - I remember my history. I remember Phyla, and the brothers Rider. I remember Drax was a saxophonist in another life. I know where the bodies are buried, and which of those bodies might be buried with important artifacts. The first arc places all the pieces on the board. As to what would "separate" these stories from what would have come - I don't think I can really comment. Every comic has something enjoyable for me. I find something to like and love in even not a great comic. I try not to have a relationship with my work after it's printed. It's not for me to judge or pimp anymore. I will say though, it's my hope that fans of the MCU and old timey Marvel Cosmic fans have a chance to be pretty, pretty, pretty happy. It's going to be worth it for the art alone. Kuder is the spine - and our guest artists are Frazer Irving, Chris Samnee, has Greg Smallwood been announced yet?

I know someone else asked a question about Richard showing up but I have a question regarding the Nova Corps officers that showed up in the final issue of Bendis' Guardians. Will the Nova Corps that shows up be traditional in nature or will they be MCU-ified?

Our Novas are a bit complicated. They're being reformed, but we have to give them time. Deadpool 30 actually has some answers for you.
The truth is somewhere in the middle. Some of these Novas will be flying punching "classic MU" some will not - some are support. Some are science officers. Not every US soldier can fast rope out of a copter and hit targets at a 1000 yards. that's how we're conceiving the Novas. The ones with the nova force are "swat". Much is clarified in year one.

One of the biggest things that has been missing from Guardians recently is the big cosmic stories like War of Kings,Annihilation, and the limited series that came after them. We got Black Vortex, but that was years ago, so I was wondering if we would see a return to that scale of story?

Yeah, I mean - look, this gig gave me the chance to plot the biggest story I could. My advice is always to drive these assignments like rental cars that you've taken the full insurance out on. By issue 3 of this run, the fuse is lit for this to be the biggest story I've ever told. There's a way in Aaron Kuder's second arc that will be the largest scale story I've ever wrenched on, but everything I'm doing now is (while hopefully entertaining) is getting the foundation ready for that. I loved Black Vortex, and the best thing about when the chips are down in the Marvel Universe - is you can always count on heroes ringing the alarm bell. Well, heroes are going to be ringing bells, and so are some villains. I'm really excited to be playing in this part of the sandbox out in space. We can do anything and we have no budget. I think if nothing else, these stories will be remembered as "BIG".

Would you say that your take on the Guardians of the Galaxy is more in line with the Bendis version that most recently appeared, or more like the Abnett and Lanning version of the team?
Also, do you intend to bring in any of the former members of the team?

Well, I'm starting with the current team...but the make-up is going to change as the story unpacks. As for bringing in former Guardians, I have to be really careful about how I answer, but...yes. Who interests you the most? By issue 3 (guest starring Frazer Irving) the possibilities will be pretty clear...

Some unexpected faces are going to turn up in some unexpected places. Try the first arc. I have to leave some surprises.

I see you, dead superheroes. Let me know what you think is gonna happen after issue 3...

Do you plan on making the Guardians into hard sci-fi again? I feel people like you and Al Ewing can make Marvel Cosmic epic again. Are you guys planning any stories similar to the Dan Abnett/Andy Lanning era of Marvel Cosmic? I know a lot of us space fans have been left feeling cold for a few years now with the influence of the MCU Guardians on their comic book counterparts.

I've been speaking to Al a bunch this week on a status quo that we're lining up that I think will provide a lot of opportunities for story.
Yeah, I have always loved sci-fi, but I also like adventuring and D&D - I think there are some very big sci-fi concepts that we're playing with - including the notion that we're living in a simulation. some very big fun ideas have landed in my brain from shaking that tree. I can't wait for everyone to see what we do with the first infinity stone we introduce. It's kind of a great mindfuck, I hope. It will actually raise more questions than answer anything - but we do have answers for it all.

Will this run have the Guardians coming into contact with any of the big hitters from marvel cosmic?

re: cosmic heavy hitters - out of the gate. You're also gonna see some characters BECOME cosmic heavy hitters. That may not be a great thing.

I'm not a big fan of music in Star-Lord's life and he acting like a "clown" dancing everywhere, I mean... years ago we could see badass Star-Lord with a cosmic cube in his hands, that was the image of him in my head when people told me to describe him, now that cosmic cube is replaced by a walkman and I feel like... wow! that's a big change and new readers have that image of him, but as long as you don't distract a villain with a dance or hint a romance between him and Gamora I'll be happy xD

re: Starlord - he has some events coming up that def fall into the category you mentioned - but I quite enjoy that he enjoys earth music. I do too - thanks for giving us a try. You'll have fun for the art alone.

There was some other interesting stuff, but I didn't want to fill the page with all of it lol.

VanWinkle

Superman: American Alien: Holy shit, this was great. The tone and art for each of the seven issues was a perfect fit. Some of the short 1-2 pagers were really awesome too. And that final fight with Lobo, (which was only a couple of pages by the way), felt earned - and had more of an impact than 12 issues of fighting across Rebirth Action Comics/Superman.

YES. Definitely in my top 5 Superman books. Fantastic stuff all around. He writes one intimidating Lex Luthor, too, I tell ya.

PsychBat!

Banned
Seems like Duggan might be writing that's somewhere in between DnA and Bendis' runs. Time will tell if this is a good thing or not.

TheFlow

Banned
This ends in death

Haha, so good. I'm only at the end of vol 2 but I can only imagine where things are going with Ca(t)ssius. I love reading!
Yep great stuff. All the mouse guard books are worth checking out. Makes me wish someone would take on the red wall series

Hey I just noticed something cool: the relaunched RessurXion books have the cast members of the book in the corner. Old school.

It's a small touch, but I dig it a lot.

Top Bottom