• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS!!! |OT| April 2017 - Now Featuring Superstar Artist Brett Booth - APRIL FOALS!

mreddie

Did any editors at Marvel realize they had two separate unrelated stories related to the Phoenix come out this week?

You know the answer.

And man, Marvoo skimmed out on the Hero Day books. It's the same shit from last year. Nothing from Now 2.0

VanWinkle

Hopefully Humphries' Marvel work is a bit more impressive than what I hear about Green Lanterns, since I just bought his entire Star-Lord run on sale.

I don't usually follow a character into a book where I'm not already on board with the writer, but I had to check out this Kitty & Star-Lord stuff at some point.

Umm bro, Green Lanterns is the only Humphries book that is regularly praised.

DIG062092_1._SX1160_QL80_TTD_.jpg

I dare not.

Do you have a link? Or is that the extent of the theory? I highly doubt that will be the case but man what a huge bait and switch if true lol.
I remember someone pointed out that one of the characters Ozymandias was inspired by had a green cloak(think he went by The Hooded One or something back at Charlton).

Vic_Viper

I remember someone pointed out that one of the characters Ozymandias was inspired by had a green cloak(think he went by The Hooded One or something back at Charlton).

Night Owl is inspired by Blue Beetle apparently too. Atleast according to CBR.

"Blue Beetle also has links to ”Watchmen," as the character of Nite Owl was based on the original Charlton Comics iteration of Blue Beetle."

http://www.cbr.com/most-exciting-dc-universe-easter-eggs-in-flash-21-explained/

Did any editors at Marvel realize they had two separate unrelated stories related to the Phoenix come out this week?

Also problematic is Thanos in the last issue of GoTG, Thanos in his own series, and Thanos in Unworthy Thor.

I'm struggling to make sense of his timeline, it's impossible to reconcile the three.

Godzilla: The Half Century War - OMG, someone tell me IDW is releasing an Absolute sized edition of this. Also, after Shin Godzilla and this, I think I am starting to see the appeal of Kaiju movies...

Also problematic is Thanos in the last issue of GoTG, Thanos in his own series, and Thanos in Unworthy Thor.

I'm struggling to make sense of his timeline, it's impossible to reconcile the three.
I hoped the new reading order guide would help since it was character focused and not series specific but nope.

Farside

Unconfirmed Member
Quick question: There is Comic List that gives the release schedule for upcoming single-issue floppies, but is there anything like that for graphic novels? I can't seem to find one that covers every publisher. Thanks.

Quick question: There is Comic List that gives the release schedule for upcoming single-issue floppies, but is there anything like that for graphic novels? I can't seem to find one that covers every publisher. Thanks.

Look in the extended forecast section of Comic List.

Thanks, but that doesn't cover Pantheon, Fantagraphics, Drawn & Quarterly, First Second, etc., though. I know I could go to their sites, but a one-stop shop would lessen the hassle.

Closer to release - dcbservice.com

Early listings - https://edelweiss.abovethetreeline.com/ - Search for the individual catalogues. (Which are quarterly or bi-annual)

e.g.,

FB Fall 2017

https://edelweiss.abovethetreeline.com/CatalogOverview.aspx?catalogID=4144257

D+Q Fall 2017

https://edelweiss.abovethetreeline.com/CatalogOverview.aspx?catalogID=4078415

Started reading Daredevil: Back in Black Vol. 2: Supersonic and this Elektra arc is hot fire.

One of the absolute best things about this book is showing Matt's visual perspective. It makes for very strong storytelling and characters moments, raising stakes in a very different way.

Started reading Daredevil: Back in Black Vol. 2: Supersonic and this Elektra arc is hot fire.

One of the absolute best things about this book is showing Matt's visual perspective. It makes for very strong storytelling and characters moments, raising stakes in a very different way.

Sounds like it's worth catching up on. The lukewarm reception at the start put me off a bit after loving Waid and Samnee's run.

Superman Rebirth #1, #1 - #6: Not really feeling this at the moment. Competent, ended on a strong note and there was more character interaction than in Action Comics but still too many pages of Superman just punching people in the face. Looks like v2 might have more potential considering the "reveal" is now out of the way.

I'm now 8 series into Rebirth and honestly, other than WW, not one of them I would put up against my New 52 Top 5.

OmegaX

I finally got my physical rewards from the Groupees VIP Dynamite Bundle. It contained 5 random TPBs, and 2 limited edition floppies with certificates of authenticity:
I doubt the LE comics are really worth much but it wasn't expensive or anything. I got a lot of reading to do now.

comic artists in general are bad at drawing women they dont want to fuck

I forgot I had saved this quote from way back, but I'm glad I did because it's amazing.

Also Weird World and Jonesy

The dude doing Green Lanterns is the same guy who did Jonsey?! Might have to check out GL!

Relevant here. Pick the next 3.75 vintage figure. If you don't have a horse in this race, please pick Dr. Aphra.

http://www.starwars.com/news/vote-n...s-vintage-collection-figure?cmp=smc|878298243

Did it for you, bro!

Sadist

Uh

So this is the first time in months I had some time for comics and the first thing I see there is a Scarlet Spider book but now with Ben Reilly?

Whywhywhywhy.gif

Owzers

I watched the first episode of Legion in an effort to watch something that isn't news or the NBA inbetween overwatch, I'm intrigued and will try another. Right now last man on earth is the only show I care about and even that can be iffy.

ok. Sticks Angelica, Folk Hero is delightfully batshit crazy. Loved it.

It looks like all the strips are available on the tumblr too but I do strongly recommend reading from first to last.

http://sticksangelica.tumblr.com/

Edit: The archive link to read chronologically - http://sticksangelica.tumblr.com/archive

Oh god, I can't even imagine how behind I must be on a cartoonist as prolific as Deforge. I hope I'm able to catch up soon. He's like no one else out there.

Oh god, I can't even imagine how behind I must be on a cartoonist as prolific as Deforge. I hope I'm able to catch up soon. He's like no one else out there.

This is actually the first I've read/heard if DeForge. Will definitely be tracking down more! Anything specific you would recommend?

This is actually the first I've read/heard if DeForge. Will definitely be tracking down more! Anything specific you would recommend?

Very Casual is well regarded. I have it, but have yet to read it. I loved Ant Colony and his Lose series. His work is fascinating. If you Google "DeForge best of" you'll probably find stuff that was listed as best comics of the year.

I really like The Wild Storm, but I have that problem with it that I'm lost each issue and need to go back and re-read the previous issue. The characters are really cool, though.

Trainspotting 2 is quite good, for anyone curious.

Trainspotting 2 is quite good, for anyone curious.

Really? I'm so nervous about eventually seeing it haha. As a Scottish guy, Trainspotting is so unbelievably on point. Lots of people here will honestly point to Braveheart when asked to point to a quintessential Scottish movie that really represents the Scots and our culture or character haha but we all know it's Trainspotting. So the prospect of a sequel that could lose that is a scary thought.

Not to say we're ALL junkies lol, but we can all look at it and say yea that's about right.

Top Bottom