• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PvZ Garden Warfare 2 Beta Thread: Get Back To Your Roots

Off now, had a great time on the beta, lots of fun. I think there are some kinks they could work out, but overall it reminded me a lot of the original, while providing enough content to make the game feel fresh.

My last match was one of my favourites. 61-9 with the Crunch time scientist. I sort of dismissed him before but I found myself getting so much enjoyment of of his ability in that game. Entertained me much more so than the other scientists.

Oh and I also had a game where I killed 16 imps within 2-3 minute period. Very funny, in my opinion!

I'm going to write up my full impressions and post up some commentated videos. I have a few flawless matches, one of which was 42-0 or so, which I was quite pleased with!

nel e nel

No unlock-able options for characters in this beta. You can unlock alternative characters, but only one per class, and that's not tied to your level at all.

It says at level 5 you get a health regenation upgrade, but if you look at the character upgrades that's actually not evident. So I'm not sure what effect it has, but you can unlock it in just a couple of games.

Health regen DELAY upgrade. As in it takes less time for the health regen to start.

Well, ALL games have gone up $20 in Canada since the first game came out so it's not like they just doubled for the hell of it.

I assume that the first game was sold at a discounted price due to it being a new title from a series that was primarily a budget priced mobile game. Now that the first game has created a name for the series in the console space, they can flesh out the modes and base the MSRP at a "normal" console price.

As for the value for either version here (in Canada), I'll have no problem paying it and I'm sure my kids and I will have a blast playing it for quite a while just like did the first one. Actually, we will probably have a better time now that we can play co-op in all modes.

I paid $28 for the first one when it came out (preorder deal). The value proposition for this one for me is abysmal at $79.99. But I am confident it will drop in price to something more palatable for me rather quickly. I'm more than willing to pay $40, EA ;)

ElNino

I paid $28 for the first one when it came out (preorder deal). The value proposition for this one for me is abysmal at $79.99. But I am confident it will drop in price to something more palatable for me rather quickly. I'm more than willing to pay $40, EA ;)
Sure, I got the first one on sale as well with the pre-order deals, and I also have this one pre-ordered for ~$50 (CDN). It doesn't change the reasoning behind them charging full MSRP this time around.

As for value proposition, I'd say it is at least as good if not more so than Battlefront considering all the modes can be played co-op. I know that game received it's share of criticism as well, but in the end if the game is enjoyable it doesn't really matter.

I'm sure you'll be able to get it on sale sooner rather than later however, but that goes for just about every (non-Nintendo) game.

Sure, I got the first one on sale as well with the pre-order deals, and I also have this one pre-ordered for ~$50 (CDN). It doesn't change the reasoning behind them charging full MSRP this time around.

As for value proposition, I'd say it is at least as good if not more so than Battlefront considering all the modes can be played co-op. I know that game received it's share of criticism as well, but in the end if the game is enjoyable it doesn't really matter.

I'm sure you'll be able to get it on sale sooner rather than later however, but that goes for just about every (non-Nintendo) game.

Wait, wait....when I was talking about the $79.99 and $89.99 price, you said you'll have no problem paying it. Now you say you have it preordered for $50? You're paying around what I feel the game is worth, of course you're fine with the value. They're charging full msrp because the first one sold well and they feel like they can get away with it. Doesn't change the fact that it looks silly to have it come out at double or more of the last one in Canada, a year and a half later. And you have the original still on the shelf for a quarter of the price or less, and this new one doesn't seem THAT more robust to me. All that said, if I've got money to burn when this comes out, I may splurge. I'll just have a "smelling a dirty diaper" face when I click the purchase tab on psn :(

ElNino

Wait, wait....when I was talking about the $79.99 and $89.99 price, you said you'll have no problem paying it. Now you say you have it preordered for $50? You're paying around what I feel the game is worth, of course you're fine with the value. They're charging full msrp because the first one sold well and they feel like they can get away with it. Doesn't change the fact that it looks silly to have it come out at double or more of the last one in Canada, a year and a half later. And you have the original still on the shelf for a quarter of the price or less, and this new one doesn't seem THAT more robust to me. All that said, if I've got money to burn when this comes out, I may splurge. I'll just have a "smelling a dirty diaper" face when I click the purchase tab on psn :(
I would have no problem paying the $80 (or $72 with EA Access) price if I decide to get it digitally, which I still might. I also have the physical version pre-ordered for $50. My point still stands though, and I don't think they are pricing it this way because they think they can "get away with it".

Titanfall, Battlefront, and many other multiplayer centric games have the same issues with launch day pricing. Only difference with GW2 is that PvZ is seen as a budget mobile franchise, so they assumption is that it isn't worth it I guess.

Sorry to parrot what others have said here but I only just got round to trying the beta and got absolutely pounded by the imp even though I was doing a pretty good job of killing any of the others. Is there a way to deal with them better? Also please tell me the berry shooter is still in this.

ElNino

Sorry to parrot what others have said here but I only just got round to trying the beta and got absolutely pounded by the imp even though I was doing a pretty good job of killing any of the others. Is there a way to deal with them better? Also please tell me the berry shooter is still in this.
I believe the berry shooter was sponsored, so I don't think it will carry over (along with the Cheetos characters).

minx

Mostly keep your eyes open and look for the little guys sneaking up on you amidst the chaos. They won't be able to do significant damage from afar. Catus kills them in two hits. When they are in mech form keep your distance and pray that you team helps you teamshot.

Maggo007

Ok my thoughts about the beta.
I hope they fix the framerate and audio issues. Changing the audio option to the wartapes zombie eqivalent kills the sound in my 5.1 setup. Lot of static and and noises that sound like my setup is broken.

First i thought the game was a clusterfuck of airstrikes and explosions. Then i learned the maps and also learned the audio cues and it feels like the first game. It was always hard the find the attacker when capping the flag that is defended by more than 3 people.

Good thing that the second screen airstrike thing is gone. It added nothing to the game.

Balance is fine. Attacker is always more difficult. But playing the plants as attackers is awesome. Capping the flag with a chomper while underground is cool.

The backyard map was also confused me at first but i like that i can try out characters quickly here without joining a game. It also seems like the backyard will play a bigger role in the game with secret areas.

Adding quests only when not in a game is something i dont like but finding a game is quick enough.

The time between rounds is way to long and the rose is my favorite character at the moment.

Im on my phone and the german autocorrect may have messes up a few words.

noomi

Had a lot of fun with this during the beta, some of the classes definitely need to be tweaked though.

Will pick this up when the price is $40, no way I'm dropping $60.

Based on the beta, I feel like the game needs more time in the oven. Not just for the bugs, but the framerate as well. It also needs a server browser, or at least a strict region filter option. I don't believe I had a match without rubberbanding to some degree.

Things may been ironed out since this build, but I doubt it. I'll definitely be taking a "wait and see" approach.

So, do we think the PC community will be healthy for this? How's the first game going?

I want to get it on PC but Battlefront is a ghost town so I'm a bit worried about that. Different games I know, but still.

So, do we think the PC community will be healthy for this? How's the first game going?

I want to get it on PC but Battlefront is a ghost town so I'm a bit worried about that. Different games I know, but still.

GW1 was very active on PC for the first couple of months, after a bit it started to die down and currently it's difficult to get enough players to play any mode that isn't Team Vanquish or Gardens & Graveyards outside of peak hours.

I'm hoping with the sequel the community will be there longer, but even if it isn't Gardens & Graveyards (and now Herbal Assault) is my favourite gamemode anyway and it's always easy to find a game of that.

This is Europe btw.

Apdiddy

The Battlefront beta was what made me get SW Battlefront and this beta is making me not want to get PvsZ GW2.

I really wanted to like it -- EA added too much and too much just doesn't work.

I won't be surprised if the imp gets a big nerf in the final game though.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
Pass for me as well, the frame rate and screen clutter just killed it for me, and I doubt much will improve in a month. I'd like to be wrong though, and if I am I can see myself buying it in the future.

The 5 players I played the beta with all decided they will be picking it up on launch day. I'm happy with that. My fiance and I will be buying the digital version so that we can share it across our two PS4s.

Pass for me as well, the frame rate and screen clutter just killed it for me, and I doubt much will improve in a month. I'd like to be wrong though, and if I am I can see myself buying it in the future.

Yeah, that's where I'm at. As disappointed as I am with the chaotic nature of this one, it would be an easier pill to swallow if the performance didn't make it so difficult to parse the chaos. In most cases I'd just buy it on PC, but I'm pretty sure there won't be much of a PC community for this one.

Altogether I was really disappointed by this beta. Not at all what I wanted from a follow-up to a game I enjoyed quite a bit.

LUXURY

I like the chaotic feel. It makes it feel like it's moving faster. Overall I am pleased and I'm excited for next month but I feel like the plants are extremely underpowered. I feel like much more time and effort was put into zombies. They need better special abilities. Not these weak ones.

Bessy67

I like the chaotic feel. It makes it feel like it's moving faster. Overall I am pleased and I'm excited for next month but I feel like the plants are extremely underpowered. I feel like much more time and effort was put into zombies. They need better special abilities. Not these weak ones.
It's weird, because I feel like the game is balanced well for gardens and graveyards/herbal assault but that balance falls apart in the other game modes and zombies have the advantage. Maybe I'm just crazy and with more playtime the sides will seem more balanced, but based on my time with the beta that's how it felt to me.

It's weird, because I feel like the game is balanced well for gardens and graveyards/herbal assault but that balance falls apart in the other game modes and zombies have the advantage. Maybe I'm just crazy and with more playtime the sides will seem more balanced, but based on my time with the beta that's how it felt to me.

I don't actually feel like they do have the advantage if characters were played at higher levels of play. I merely feel like they have the advantage when everyone is pretty bad.

If most people are pretty bad, and accuracy is a problem for most people, then abilities like the Impkala have more prevalence because they allow those people that would not normally be able to kill you due to poor accuracy, to kill you.

However, the Impkala is easily mediated at higher levels of play, where more players are accurate, giving Imps a harder time to get close in the first place.

Some of the losses in Vanquish were rather confusing to me. On one match I finished the game with a score of 17-0 as the Peashooter, yet we still lost the game. I do not understand what people are doing.

One thing to bear in mind though is that the additional abilities and subclasses will completely change the balance in the full game (for better or worse). For instance, a class like the Alien Sunflower will have a much easier time against characters like the Imp because of her AoE splash damage.

Here is your rank rewards in GW2 for playing GW1.

Dat 313 prize.

CZQXQnEUsAATu84.jpg

I think my brother and I were rank 200+ , i gotta check, in the end you just gotta buy the packs and get the skip card, helps you rank up asap

might grind for that unicorn haha

will the rank be the same in the 2nd game too? i want it to restart from my first game rank because its fun to rank up

or will the rank from the beta be carried over? i hope not

Bessy67

Here is your rank rewards in GW2 for playing GW1.

Dat 313 prize.

CZQXQnEUsAATu84.jpg
I think I ended up around 75, so I should get the character pack. Not too shabby. I wonder if the unicorn is in the regular reward pool or if getting to 313 in the first game is the only way to get it.

Liamario

Banned
I thought it was just me who doesn't like the visual cluster fuck. There is way too much going on and the unstable framerate seals the deal (figuratively speaking).

I think my brother and I were rank 200+ , i gotta check, in the end you just gotta buy the packs and get the skip card, helps you rank up asap

might grind for that unicorn haha

will the rank be the same in the 2nd game too? i want it to restart from my first game rank because its fun to rank up

or will the rank from the beta be carried over? i hope not

Beta rank is not carried over

Hrm. Does it work cross platform?
I did all my GW on 360, but plan on using PS4 for GW2.

I don't think so, sorry.

SiDCrAzY

Is there a cutoff point on when you have to reach level 313 to get the Unicorn? I'm currently at 300, gotta step it up!

Is there a cutoff point on when you have to reach level 313 to get the Unicorn? I'm currently at 300, gotta step it up!

You can go back to GW1 and try and get the unicorn chomper by ranking up to 313, however you have until 2017 to do so.

There is no alternative way to get that character otherwise.

Had a blast during the beta, but there is plenty to be fixed and adjusted for it to be released. I can't imagine the game being done as it was in the beta. Also, I just can't wrap my head around this being a €60 title. I just don't think it's worth more than €40.

SiDCrAzY

You can go back to GW1 and try and get the unicorn chomper by ranking up to 313, however you have until 2017 to do so.

There is no alternative way to get that character otherwise.

Ah okay, that's more than enough time. I'll probably be able to reach 313 before GW2's launch.

Top Bottom