• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PvZ Garden Warfare 2 Beta Thread: Get Back To Your Roots

nel e nel

Also have to say it's funny that you accuse me of "spending my time attempting to invalidate other opinions on the basis of being 'better at the game'" while you spend your time attempting to invalidate my opinion for that very reason instead of spending your time learning the game so you can have a clue of what you're talking about.

Hey now, he has over 17 hours logged in the beta and 3.0 K/D ratio, that's an appeal to authority I can get behind!

Besides, he's never heard of competitive PvZ, so clearly your opinion is toxic.

Safe Bet

Banned
Kernel Corn need a buff on his main weapon. I constantly found my having to reload twice to kill high HP enemies. Or possibly increase his clip size. He also has a huge hitbox, is slow, with low HP.
This is to counter the fact he's made from 100% GMO-Free Awesome.

;)

Seriously, though:

Doing a matrix-style flip over someone and then getting the V is...

pxhsuHj.gif

AetherZX

Literally forgot Imp Punt exists playing this beta, whereas GW1 those were everywhere in G&G. Something has been done to it, that's for sure.

Safe Bet

Banned
Literally forgot Imp Punt exists playing this beta, whereas GW1 those were everywhere in G&G. Something has been done to it, that's for sure.
I can't get it to travel any kind of distance.

Even tried looking up before punting, etc.

Using it now as a "last line of defense" kind of thing.

Not only Imp Punt but I think they reduced the range that the Chili Bean Bomb travels as well.
Now that you mention it, I haven't seen as much chili bean spam as I'm use to.

vypek

I've been thinking this as well. Tackle feels okay to me though.

I'll use sprint tackle a little more and see if I get used to it the same way. Its effective but something felt "off" to me about it but it may very well be in my head.

So I guess distances on some things like imp punt and chili bean bomb have been reduced. I thought they were just fine before honestly. I also looked up before kicking and the distance didn't seem better. I haven't tested the effective range of the explosion yet.

SiDCrAzY

The sprint tackle seems different to me, almost like it goes up, instead of straight through. Not sure I like the tackle anymore, while the imp punt might have been shorter, at least it still went straight. I got a lot of multi vanquishes with it.

I've been dominating with the Roadie Z, really love him. I need my all my taunts back. One of my favorite parts of the first game.

ormqw.gif

vypek

I seem to do okay with the All Star still...for now at least. Going to try out an All Star I got from a pack later. I think my main plant might be sunflower now and be a focused healer. The healing beam doesn't always go to who I plan though.

Hey now, he has over 17 hours logged in the beta and 3.0 K/D ratio, that's an appeal to authority I can get behind!

Besides, he's never heard of competitive PvZ, so clearly your opinion is toxic.

Neither has any one else, and I only pointed that out to demonstrate that at the very least, I'm not terrible at the game. I don't think whether anyone is brilliant or terrible means there opinion is without value.

AetherZX

Impkata is total nonsense.

Zen Cactus is up there too, for being a better Camo Cactus with far better firing rate/reload speed.

Not only Imp Punt but I think they reduced the range that the Chili Bean Bomb travels as well.

all the first game plants and zombies got nerfed , it sucks , i still love the original the best, i like to imp punt x tackle and wipe out fools

Alright, I've had my fill of the beta, reached level 30 or so.

I like it overall. But I don't love it. People have talked about the balancing issues and the "too much fucking stuff on my screen at once" enough these last few pages.

I was going to buy it to play with the gf anyway, but the best way to summarize my experience is that it didn't make me want to stop playing the first game. At all. They're too different, and if I had to choose, I'd still go with a classic gardens & graveyards on PvZ 1.

bodine1231

I think I'm gonna pick up the original and unlock the older characters to transfer over. I played it a ton but on the 360 and not the PC or PS4.

What system are you guys getting it on? Will there be any sort of cross platform play?

I think I just had more fun in 1 hour of this beta than like 15 hours of Battlefront.

Will totally buy it on PC at the first good discount.

SiDCrAzY

I read on GAF that for the people who reached level 313 on the first game PopCap will be doing something special for them in full version of this second game? Does anybody know what that is going to be?

I'm currently at 297 and want to know if its worth grinding out these last levels out.

hydruxo

This game wasn't even on my radar a week ago, but I'm having such a blast with the beta. Love all the different variants of characters to choose from, and the Herbal Assault / Gardens + Graveyards modes are a lot of fun. Probably going to end up picking this up when it comes out.

I had to cut frames due to file size. What isn't shown is the reload and the 14 other shots being fired. Neither seemed to have registered until I reloaded again and was closer. I ended up dying.
JzImTkW.gif

This should always happen :p

One thing I have noticed with Rose is that on many instances her shots aren't registering with the damage numbers, despite clearly hitting target. I am unsure if this error reflects that the bullets genuinely aren't damaging their target, or just the numbers are missing, but it's rather annoying.

For me, it only typically happens with the Rose.

nel e nel

One thing I have noticed with Rose is that on many instances her shots are registering with the damage numbers, despite clearly hitting target. I am unsure if this error reflects that the bullets genuinely aren't damaging their target, or just the numbers are missing, but it's rather annoying.

For me, it only typically happens with the Rose.

I noticed this too. I was attacking a zombot turret at point blank range and it wasn't taking any damage.

RemiLP

Fun game. Dont like the fact that there is no menu to just select what game mode you want to play, but instead have to move your character around to find it. Got enough of that with Destiny.

I've finally unlocked every character. I'm rank 140 on the beta now (prestige 1, rank 40). 19 hours logged, it's been fun. It ends at the end of today right?

Fun game. Dont like the fact that there is no menu to just select what game mode you want to play, but instead have to move your character around to find it. Got enough of that with Destiny.

Well, at least here everything is encapsulated in the single hub. PVZ uses its hub world as a menu interface much better than Destiny does. Destiny forces you to orbit out of the hub and spend 30+ seconds loading before you can even select what you want to play.

Bessy67

Any idea when this goes until? I'd like to play another game or two after work, but I have a feeling it'll be down by then...

Yep, Team Vanquish and Gardens & Graveyards are still very active, almost two years on. The other modes are pretty barren though.

Man people still play Warhawk on the PS3. I doubt this game and will be dead anytime soon.

The critical reception it receives will have an influence on that though, if this game gets poor scores it will be dead pretty quick. I don't think it will though.

I only picked up the predecessor a couple of months ago (it was during the last time it went on sale in Europe) and despite not being dead per se you'd find absolutely no one in most of the modes.

I guess that's true but nothing has been popular on the game aside Gardens and Graveyards and Vanquish. Modes like gnome bomb are fun but one seems to go for them unless there's a community challenge or whatever.

That hardly means the game is dead though. There are 100,000 players on Call of Duty, yet some of the playlists are dead. Obviously GWs community is much smaller than that, but there are enough to keep lobbies going across the popular modes.

GW2 will also be playable in Garden Ops offline, so this one gets to live after EA eventually shut down the servers.

Special C

I just can't get into this one. The original was so much fun but this one just feels too hectic. I can't quite put my finger on it. Feels like the battles are more condensed. Are the maps smaller?

RemiLP

Well, at least here everything is encapsulated in the single hub. PVZ uses its hub world as a menu interface much better than Destiny does. Destiny forces you to orbit out of the hub and spend 30+ seconds loading before you can even select what you want to play.

Yeah, your right. I actually didnt mind the hub world while playing it, but i figure it will get old pretty fast. But as you said, its hub world isnt really that bad, and it dosnt take long to get to the activities you want, compared to destiny atleast :p

I just can't get into this one. The original was so much fun but this one just feels too hectic. I can't quite put my finger on it. Feels like the battles are more condensed. Are the maps smaller?

How I feel, I have so much time in PvZ 1, but I don't really enjoy this mode at all and this was my most hyped game this year. Something just feels off and I can't put my finger on it either. Definitely too much going on for my tastes.

Planet

The thing is - and I don't want to downplay your feelings to this game - it isn't the predecessor. It is a completely new game, and (at least IMHO) supposed to be something different. They seem to be making it a faster, more chaotic experience, and this takes a little while to get done right. Judging by the diverging opinions here, the balance doesn't seem to be off that far yet, but there are some things that will need more data.

Look, for example, the Chomper - I could swear it was different on the first day, but I may be wrong - he does recharge its Burrow and Goop way faster now, you can use it every few seconds. Doesn't help much on the moon, but helps him keep up in other maps. His spike weed seems to be much less useful though, with it just restricting movement instead of making the caught one easy helpless meat. Still everything is much faster than it was, and players will become used to it. I think it is or at least will be fine.

I unlocked the Cosmic Super Brains earlier that dude is OP and fun to use. He has a charge uppercut melee that can one shot ppl and his clip on his cosmic gun is extremely long. The rarity says hes super rare.

Safe Bet

Banned
Son and I have reached the limit of Character Packs we can open :( which is perfectly understandable in a BETA of course.

I've seen a Beach Ball Citron we don't have in the wild though so I know we don't have all of them.

Unless that was a Dev showing off. :p

Almsot lvl 100 and game is clicking more with me (slow learner) and I think alot of the complaints are stemming from the player-base being new etc.

Matches do calm down a bit after everyone stops bum rushing non-stop.

However, I'm still unsure about the raised player-count and if that will suppress the inmate gameplay of the first game.

It's very difficult to slow dance with an opponent in the BETA without everyone and his or her cousin trying to step in.

vypek

Beta just glitched on me. The zombies got a territory right as I was respawning so it gave me a fixed camera over where I died and no buttons work...

Kicked me out of the game after that

EDIT: Also I feel like sometimes when I play with the all star that my weapon jams before it overheats. Like I just can't fire at times for some reason

Top Bottom