• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PvZ Garden Warfare 2 Beta Thread: Get Back To Your Roots

NotMyPsn

Banned
I can't put my finger exactly on what it is...but I didn't like it as much as gw1.
I'm level 112 in gw1 and still loving the game.
Hated the chaos, the imp mech, and some glitches and connection errors that I will blame on the fact that it's a the beta...I was hoping to get this day one, but will definitively wait for a discount.

Quick question, anyone know if the beta works with a 48 hour live pass or anything under a month? I currently don't have XBL and wanted to show my little nephew the new PvZ but i'll just wait for release if live trials do not work.

I started the beta last night and played for an hour or two. Not really feeling it.

The worlds I played seemed very snug in comparison to GW1. There's a lot more going on as well, which isn't a good thing. Feels very overwhelming. Also, just playing in that short amount of time, I encountered the Imp Mech numerous time, which is pretty ridiculous. Takes forever to take one of those things down.

Overall, I'm kinda disappointed since I really enjoyed GW1. I wasn't really feeling it just based off the trailers but, after seeing the beta, I thought I'd give it a chance. I'll keep playing it before it ends but I doubt I'll get on board for this sequel. Such a shame.

Occam

Captain Sharkbite's distance shots can be (and continually are) destroyed by the shots of other players. Maybe a bug? That really needs to be changed, otherwise it's useless.

hydruxo

Glad I didn't play much of GW1 because it seems like most of you guys who did aren't enjoying GW2 much. I don't really have anything to compare this game to so I'm enjoying it so far. It is really chaotic but I found myself getting used to it fairly quickly.

This "jamming" has happened with every character I've played with. Very annoying.

Yeah Ive noticed this with the Pirate using the shotgun. Felt like anytime I got in the middle of a big skirmish and started shooting the primary weapon (without aiming so shotgun style), it seemed really hit or miss as to whether or not I would damage people. I double checked to make sure that I wasnt just running out of ammo and needing to reload.

It was pretty strange and I gave up trying to use the shotgun and only used the aimed shot.

vypek

This "jamming" has happened with every character I've played with. Very annoying.

Yeah Ive noticed this with the Pirate using the shotgun. Felt like anytime I got in the middle of a big skirmish and started shooting the primary weapon (without aiming so shotgun style), it seemed really hit or miss as to whether or not I would damage people. I double checked to make sure that I wasnt just running out of ammo and needing to reload.

It was pretty strange and I gave up trying to use the shotgun and only used the aimed shot.

So it definitely is a problem then. I wasn't sure if I was just using a bad controller or something.

Mikey Jr.

Beta just glitched on me. The zombies got a territory right as I was respawning so it gave me a fixed camera over where I died and no buttons work...

Kicked me out of the game after that

EDIT: Also I feel like sometimes when I play with the all star that my weapon jams before it overheats. Like I just can't fire at times for some reason

Lol, me too. I've experienced this jamming as well.

Planet

They aren't charging full price for this, they are giving it to you for free.

They will be charging full price for the final product though, because it is a full game.

BlackHeron

Neo Member
Played a few rounds and deleted it. Game is a mess. First one was better.
Can't believe they're charging full price for this.

Ikr?
How can somebody charge full price for a game with a new Hub world, 7 online modes, 14 characters (for a total of 110, including variants), 2 cop op modes with unique bosses, thousands of customization items, 12 maps, story and multiplayer quests, solo play and split screen for every mode, great production values and Free DLC support?!

I mean, man, forget it is a beta (old build from months ago) and people are supposed to test the game and give their opinions regarding balancing in order to make the final product better.
It is easier to not invest time into it, not learn the mechanics/characters and say the game stinks!!!
That is profit! Yes!

kendrid

Banned
Captain Sharkbite's distance shots can be (and continually are) destroyed by the shots of other players. Maybe a bug? That really needs to be changed, otherwise it's useless.

I don't know what is going on with him. I unlocked him last night and like 50-75% of the time the shots did nothing. I really wanted to play him but he is useless most of the time.

When the shots worked he was amazing. I was able to quickly take out citrons.

Edit. Google to the rescue, here is what is going on.
I had the same problem, turns out the shots detonate early if you press the trigger again mid flight. Slow down your shots until the previous one hits and it'll be fine. Kind of a nice feature if you get the hang of it, you can turn a miss into some damage with good timing.

I have to admit, I was spamming the trigger a lot so that was the cause. I'll have to give him another try tonight.

Ikr?
How can somebody charge full price for a game with a new Hub world, 7 online modes, 14 characters (for a total of 110, including variants), 2 cop op modes with unique bosses, thousands of customization items, 12 maps, story and multiplayer quests, solo play and split screen for every mode, great production values and Free DLC support?!
Wow! All that for the low low price of $59.99? What a steal! Tell me more!!

Seriously though, I don't like Horde modes - they're the epitome of lazy game design. Therefore, the hub world and the coop stuff are of zero interest to me.
So bearing that in mind, tell me: what exactly is NEW here that warrants $20 more than the first game for someone who has no interest in glorified horde modes? The new characters sure as hell aren't worth it.

jond76

Banned
Big fan of the first, and I've been digging this a lot. The new characters seem good and it didn't seem too chaotic to me. Will preorder.

Oh, and my 4yo son has fun in the hub world. Sold.

Mindlog

Glad I didn't play much of GW1 because it seems like most of you guys who did aren't enjoying GW2 much. I don't really have anything to compare this game to so I'm enjoying it so far. It is really chaotic but I found myself getting used to it fairly quickly.
I played 1 very heavily and enjoyed the taste of GW2. Most of the old tricks still worked pretty well for me. I didn't have my old monster K/D, but that's because I was experimenting.

Only one crash.

Overall the game moved up my chart. I was planning on playing Witcher 3 then Batman, but I'm reminded how much I enjoy this series.

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
is it just me or this game much more clusterfuck than the GW1? I can't tell who's shooting me.

Two issues, the player count needs to be reduced, there is too much going on and it is just frustrating chaos most of the time. Too many times I spawned and died 3 seconds later. Gotta drop the player count. Secondly, they should have capped the levels at maybe 20 for this beta. Coming in as a level 5 player with some level 70 people wrecking shop kills all the fun.

I have EA Access, so I will try out the final game for 10 hours before buying, but honestly the beta has lowered my hype for the game substantially .

Two issues, the player count needs to be reduced, there is too much going on and it is just frustrating chaos most of the time. Too many times I spawned and died 3 seconds later. Gotta drop the player count. Secondly, they should have capped the levels at maybe 20 for this beta. Coming in as a level 5 player with some level 70 people wrecking shop kills all the fun.

I have EA Access, so I will try out the final game for 10 hours before buying, but honestly the beta has lowered my hype for the game substantially .

Would have zero effect on people wrecking shop.

I think theres going to be a lot less of them in GW2. The maps feel too big and the action too chaotic for the sneak-attack to be very viable.

Agreed. I play scientist a lot and while he's still very viable - especially now that he's a better medic than he used to be - it's harder to get away with some of the stuff you could in GW.

The automatic marker system (where if anyone on the enemy team can see you, they all can see you) also seems to be in greater effect here which causes more problems for characters like the chomper who may need to get up close and behind enemy lines.

A health buff would help I think. Chompers are actually pretty fragile, which doesn't help matters at all.

So bearing that in mind, tell me: what exactly is NEW here that warrants $20 more than the first game for someone who has no interest in glorified horde modes? The new characters sure as hell aren't worth it.

If you don't think what's on offer in this game is worth the asking price then no one is here to try and convince you other wise. Your perspective on value yours alone. I won't play any of the co-op/horde stuff either but i'll certainly be playing the team deathmatch game variants 6 months down the line, so to me that is worth the price.

dskillzhtown

Would have zero effect on people wrecking shop.

How wouldn't it? People ranked 70 with all the options unlocked for characters compared to players using base characters doesn't make a difference? Unless it works differently than PvZ 1.

How wouldn't it? People ranked 70 with all the options unlocked for characters compared to players using base characters doesn't make a difference? Unless it works differently than PvZ 1.

No unlock-able options for characters in this beta. You can unlock alternative characters, but only one per class, and that's not tied to your level at all.

It says at level 5 you get a health regenation upgrade, but if you look at the character upgrades that's actually not evident. So I'm not sure what effect it has, but you can unlock it in just a couple of games.

dskillzhtown

No unlock-able options for characters in this beta. You can unlock alternative characters, but only one per class, and that's not tied to your level at all.

It says at level 5 you get a health regenation upgrade, but if you look at the character upgrades that's actually not evident. So I'm not sure what effect it has, but you can unlock it in just a couple of games.

Gotcha. Thanks for the info.

Berordn

I think there's going to be more than one alternate for every character, just the beta only gives you the one option currently.

For the health and zoom upgrades you have to scroll down to find and equip them.

woodland

I still sit here wondering why people still play chompers.

They have probably one of the most unique playstyles. Goop is probably one of the strongest spells in the game (gotta play Chomper in a support role) if you're good with it + an instant ko and immobilization traps.

I don't think a health buff would do much - it would give them a few more seconds but their problem is getting into the ground a lot. Being able to burrow onto short cement walls or go into the ground from a jump would eliminate a ton of needless animation time. Time where you could get charged, knocked over by engineer, gravity bombed, etc.

OR, maybe add an upgrade that kills chomper underground distance but lets you 1-shot eat people with previous defenses, like barrels or jackhammers

Just learned you can't eat Captain Deadbeards cannon either D: he has 2 layers of defense are you serious.

WinFonda

I played 2 matches and was done. It's way too familiar to Garden Warfare 1. Which I platinumed about a year ago. If you put any considerable amount of time into the first this feels like it adds so very little to the formula and is just too soon maybe. This just bored me in an extreme way that I wasn't expecting. Like sleep inducing.

I still sit here wondering why people still play chompers.

I loved using Chomper in the first game and in this one he seems to have a lot of ways to deal with all of the Imp's stuff. Their mines instakill Imps, can burrow to kill Impkata Imps, and they can do about 200-300 damage to a Mech pretty fast.

thenexus6

This has gone from a day one purchase to wait for a sale. I loved the first but am not really this one so much. I'll have plenty else to play so won't be so bad.

Wow! All that for the low low price of $59.99? What a steal! Tell me more!!

Seriously though, I don't like Horde modes - they're the epitome of lazy game design. Therefore, the hub world and the coop stuff are of zero interest to me.

They're charging $79.99 in Canada, which is DOUBLE the price the original released at a few years ago. I think they're crazy. The deluxe edition is $89.99 so it would cost me over $100 with tax! I can't imagine anyone paying that. I think this will drop in price quickly.

minx

One of the worst thing about the imp is that his moves aren't skill based at all. Impkata is almost an instant kill if he gets close to you at the press of a button. I know the argument to is is don't let the little guy sneak up on you. It's still not satisfying to be killed by. Same goes with his grenade that lifts you up in the air and prevents you from using your abilities. That's not fun.

One of the worst thing about the imp is that his moves aren't skill based at all. Impkata is almost an instant kill if he gets close to you at the press of a button. I know the argument to is is don't let the little guy sneak up on you. It's still not satisfying to be killed by. Same goes with his grenade that lifts you up in the air and prevents you from using your abilities. That's not fun.

I think its safe to say that the Imp will be nerfed by release.

ElNino

They're charging $79.99 in Canada, which is DOUBLE the price the original released at a few years ago. I think they're crazy. The deluxe edition is $89.99 so it would cost me over $100 with tax! I can't imagine anyone paying that. I think this will drop in price quickly.
Well, ALL games have gone up $20 in Canada since the first game came out so it's not like they just doubled for the hell of it.

I assume that the first game was sold at a discounted price due to it being a new title from a series that was primarily a budget priced mobile game. Now that the first game has created a name for the series in the console space, they can flesh out the modes and base the MSRP at a "normal" console price.

As for the value for either version here (in Canada), I'll have no problem paying it and I'm sure my kids and I will have a blast playing it for quite a while just like did the first one. Actually, we will probably have a better time now that we can play co-op in all modes.

Occam

I've played the beta way longer than I intended. There is some fun to be had, but it's not as good as the first game. It lacks new ideas (I would have liked to see some interesting new game modes instead of the exact same stuff as before) and the levels feel smaller. Balance is not a problem. I'll echo what others have said: $60 is too much for it, considering it's more like an add-on/reskin than an entirely new game and once again has no story mode or real single player levels.

Forgot to mention, I platinumed the first game.

dskillzhtown

I played for a bit last night and felt exactly the same. I really, really loved the first game. I'm not sure I even had a good time with this one. I dunno about this game.

You could get EA Access to try it out for 10 hours at release (if you are on Xbox One or PC) to see what changes make it to the final release. My gut tells me that no changes will be made, but we will see.

I'm checking out at level 61. The Beta will be long over when I get back from work tomorrow so I'm done.

I wasn't going to, but I think I'm going to preorder it. Having a £10 Amazon voucher helps with the decision, I don't think I'd go for it for £42.

Top Bottom