• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

--PS5 reportedly struggling with Resident Evil 8: can barely run it at 1080p/60

Status
Not open for further replies.

MiguelItUp

I never believed any of this for a second. I mean, if he DID hear something and it WAS "reliable" maybe it was from a build at the time. Meaning it was STILL in development and unoptimized. Not like games are just running at a buttery smooth 60fps across all resolutions throughout all development, lmao.

This dude just throws a bunch of rumors out there hoping one will stick, and if one sticks even in the SMALLEST people act like he's Nostradamus, lol.

I don’t know if it’s 1080p, but I saw a frame analysis of the demo on YT and it dropped quite a few frames. Graphics look no better than 7, plus it kinda looks like the same game anyway. Think I’ll be skipping this one, 7 was just OK.

thelastword

Banned
Demo looks awesome for atmosphere. Textures are not at their optimum. Some of the the curtains etc look a bit too static, some indoor sections are really confined, but I suspect it's deliberate to cue in the atmosphere.

Just saw a title that it's still cross gen, so I guess sacrifices had to be made. Still overall, looks to be a very good game in the making. I have no doubt this game will perform well, some dips in a demo is a non issue and I'm sure things will improve more yet till release. This is giving me an RE4 vibe when it comes to characters and level design. The witches, the characters. I want to see and know more, they are all very interesting. Seems like this will be a critical darling like RE4.

I didn't, where did I say 1440p? don't tell me you're one of those who still don't know how checkerboarding works...

it runs at 1920x2160 and is then reconstructed to 4k via checkerboarding and most likely some heavy TAA

You said 2x the resolution claimed so i thought you meant 1440p

So where did you read it runs at 1920 x 2160?

No I don't know how checkerboarding works. Not interested in learning the technicalties of these things

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Played it on PS5 and TBH it looked like a Xbox One X game.
it's a weird one. The chandelier room's asset quality looks closer to demon souls than RE7 or RE2MAKE, but the dungeon looked very last gen. Maybe it's just their RE engine getting better allowing them to get more out of last gen consoles. This is after all their 4th game on the RE engine this gen and like TLOU2 improving upon Uncharted 4 in every way, maybe they have figured out a way to make it look even better than RE2.

I suspect it will run at 30 fps on last gen versions.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
4k 60fps with minor dips thus far.

Dropping to 48fps when there is action on screen... Not very good performance imo.

They still have time to improve it, but they'll need to improve it a lot to manage 60fps on outdoor areas with multiple enemies and explosions.

ps: is it native 4k?

Last edited:

Romulus

Minor? It has drops to 45-50 fps whenever there is anything significant on the screen.

You say significant, but the chick with all the particles flying around her inside a super highly detailed room could be more significant than 3-5 regular enemies outside. She's literally a ball of effects and I have not seen other enemies with those effects. In fact the others look far less detailed. Again, this is an old build and still running near 4k with some RT, nowhere near 1080p struggling lol

Last edited:

Banned
You said 2x the resolution claimed so i thought you meant 1440p

So where did you read it runs at 1920 x 2160?

No I don't know how checkerboarding works. Not interested in learning the technicalties of these things

vg tech's analysis. they seem to be sure it's using checkerboarding. and a 4k image that uses checkerboarding to reach that resolution is 1920x2160

checkerboarding works by rendereing half of the horizontal pixels of the target resolution, in a checkerboard esque way, and then filling the gaps via various techniques. some are better then others (Dark souls remastered's was so well made it fooled both VG Tecn and DF until the devs revealed it) so are hard to make out, some are little more than glorified interlacing (which I personally don't mind as it's at least very sharp, Resi 3 remake on PC even calls it interlacing I think... lol)

Last edited:

Banned
Meaning they can't tell for sure?

there are telltale artifacts even digital foundry noticed them. with a detailed look it's easy to say. nowadays VG Tech seem to be more thorough with their pixel counting so they say it is cb and DF also noticed possible artifacts + the devs used it before so yeah.

there is a form of reconstruction at work for sure if both noticed and vg tech goes as far as stating it clearly. could be some other form of reconstruction but checkerboarding is a safe bet

Last edited:
vg tech's analysis. they seem to be sure it's using checkerboarding. and a 4k image that uses checkerboarding to reach that resolution is 1920x2160

checkerboarding works by rendereing half of the horizontal pixels of the target resolution, in a checkerboard esque way, and then filling the gaps via various techniques. some are better then others (Dark souls remastered's was so well made it fooled both VG Tecn and DF until the devs revealed it) so are hard to make out, some are little more than glorified interlacing (which I personally don't mind as it's at least very sharp, Resi 3 remake on PC even calls it interlacing I think... lol)
It's not always every other pixel.

It could be rendering far closer to 4K and still checkerboarding, as well as using dynamic resolution.

In fact given the difficulty everyone has in nailing down exactly what's being used here, that is likely the case. Going from native 4K down to something equivelant to 1800p checkerboarded, then back would be very tricky to nail down due to the inconsistencies in artifacts showing up.

vkbest

So DLSS (reconstruction) is good. But CB where they need zoom 4x the image to get some artifact and don’t even secure if it’s native or not, is bad? lol.

This is a demo, not even a part from final game, is not dynamic and using RT. We know the final release will use a dynamic res, so i expect the game will be more stable

Last edited:

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
it's 1920x2160 not 4k.

so 50% of 4k + reconstruction. and it struggles to hold 60fps in an indoors environment while we know there are big outside areas with way more enemies than in the demo
It doesn't matter if its indoor or outdoor. What matters what's causing it to drop frames.

On Resident Evil 2: Remake, it drops frames with a single zombie on screen which can be found at the 4:30 mark.

At 1:40, it drops even less frames in an outdoor environment with more zombies on screen.

Starting at 12:50, when Clair travels to the police station, it's a near stable 60fps in an outside environment with more zombies on screen.

Just because there will be more zombies on screen in an outside environment, that doesn't mean it will struggle to run at a stable 60fps.

Romulus

It seems like it uses CB so faux 4k and it dips below 60fps with no enemies or action on screen so maybe he is not wrong after all....

Same as other RE games with this engine. They do fine outside and struggle inside, many times with nothing going on.

Either way, "struggling" at 1080p is a FAR cry from what we're seeing here.... and its unfinished.A playable build can take 6 months to make, and this game is still 5 months from release. So, yeah, around a full year from release and still smoking that "rumor."

Last edited:

Hezekiah

Banned
And here we go again with Dusk Golem

giphy.gif
Wasnt he the guy bragging about the dolphin game? Anyways he's basically 'retired' as a leaker now so it's on to the next one.

Banned
LOL, you're just delusional...dude at this point youre just embarrasing yourself with your fanboyism...

then I bet you can logically rebuttal what I just said.
I stated observed facts (the game running with checkerboarding and it having drops below 50fps with a single enemy in screen in an indoors environment) if that offends you you're a fanboy

I fully expect the Series X version to run similarly and have the same reservations towards that version

so either add something of value to the conversation or stfu

Last edited:

Romulus

then I bet you can logically rebuttal what I just said.
I stated observed facts (the game running with checkerboarding and it having drops below 50fps with a single enemy in screen in an indoors environment) if that offends you you're a fanboy

I fully expect the Series X version to run similarly and have the same reservations towards that version

so either add something of value to the conversation or stfu

Dforce posted videos above that prove your indoor vs outdoor theory is off the mark

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
What evidence is there right now to show the PS5 is going to struggle with titles that the SX handles fine ?

Its not like we have to theorycraft performance deltas anymore, the titles already on the market provide ample evidence of how the same code runs comparatively on the platforms.

Maybe in a year or two's time we'll see things that really leverage the strengths of each system allowing a bigger gap to emerge, but this game is still cross-gen, still roughly within the launch window, so we should have a pretty good idea how its likely to run.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
He long confirmed it was FUD because PS5 was gaining so much traction and Xbox didn't.
Yeah, I remember that.

I also remember some ppl hanging on to what he initially said as gospel, telling ppl deal with it. And trying to spin what he later said as attacking him. He literally said he said that because it was so much negativity towards MS, XSX.

So much crow has been served since the PS5 launched.

Last edited:

Vidraino

Neo Member
I don’t know if it’s 1080p, but I saw a frame analysis of the demo on YT and it dropped quite a few frames. Graphics look no better than 7, plus it kinda looks like the same game anyway. Think I’ll be skipping this one, 7 was just OK.
It looks much better than 7 maxed on PC, don't judge graphics based on a youtube video.

Nickolaidas

The man basically leaked RE8, RE4make, told us when RE2make was going to get its reveal trailer, leaked Sekiro, has been correct on tons of things, yet is called a 'fraud' because a few fanboys couldn't fathom the fact that the PS5 edition ORIGINALLY had development issues.

Seriously, go watch the reveal trailer one more time - you know, the one that was supposedly running on a PS5 and watch the fucking thing going down to 5 frames per second at some points.

But sure, he's a 'fraud'.

Can your minds grasp the notion that a game can run like shit when unoptimized but eventually can run just fine? Do you remember the first gameplay clips of Godfall which had frequent framedrops yet the final game runs smoothly at 60fps?

Mindblowing, am I right?

Banned
The man basically leaked RE8, RE4make, told us when RE2make was going to get its reveal trailer, leaked Sekiro, has been correct on tons of things, yet is called a 'fraud' because a few fanboys couldn't fathom the fact that the PS5 edition ORIGINALLY had development issues.

Seriously, go watch the reveal trailer one more time - you know, the one that was supposedly running on a PS5 and watch the fucking thing going down to 5 frames per second at some points.

Can your minds grasp the notion that a game can run like shit when unoptimized but eventually can run just fine? Do you remember the first gameplay clips of Godfall which had frequent framedrops yet the final game runs smoothly at 60fps?

Mindblowing, am I right?

you can't reason with most people on here anymore. their brains are infested by fanboyism.

and the funny thing is, while it's unfathomable for them that the version on PS5 a year ago had perfoma issues, at the same time they're saying that the massive fps drops in the demo will obviously be fixed by the time of release...

like... how fucking dense do you have to be to have both of these beliefs at once?

big performance gains over the course of more than a year = impossible!!!
big performance gains within 6 months = OBVIOUSLY!

Mindblowing, am I right?

I think it's strange with all the rumors about the horrible tools on Xbox that they managed to have the game running at a Native 4K 60FPs when they were struggling with the console that's easiest to develop for.

That's the only real thing that bugged me about the Disk Golem claim.

Edit: What really bugged me though was when he said he leaked that for console warring. Kind of makes everything he leaked a little suspicious in my opinion.

Last edited:

Spitfire098

Mindblowing, am I right?
2021 and we're still using alt accounts.

Alebrije

Well, is good this ended well for PS5 users....reading today the first 2 pages is fun.

Played the demo is good specially when you leave the dungeon an enter the new area.

After Demons Souls this is the second game that gave me real vibes of next gen games...

Banned
I think it's strange with all the rumors about the horrible tools on Xbox that they managed to have the game running at a Native 4K 60FPs when they were struggling with the console that's easiest to develop for.

That's the only real thing that bugged me about the Disk Golem claim
every engine has its own quirks could be totally the case. who knows, maybe the RE engine was highly optimised for a lot of compute units and not for high clock speeds?

there could be a number of reasons why that could be the case. also I highly doubt that it is native 4k on Xbox as well, but developers call everything that's even close to 4k just 4k nowadays. I bet ot actually ran at 2160cb the whole time on Xbox and his source just said 4k because that's becoming the norm now, see Ubisoft

Mindblowing, am I right?

You know that Dusk also mentioned that RE8 struggling on PS5 at 1080p. Well, first showed RE8 demo was at 4k. So yeah, he's a fraud

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom