• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS5 Launch title Destruction AllStars detailed, to run at 60 FPS with dynamic 4K resolution

DJT123

You get much more out of a console GPU though - true for every console. The issue is not if it is possible - the issue is that it is stupid to go for static 4K/60FPS due to the very visible graphical downgrade you need to do to achieve that. And that will be 100% true for both Xbox and Playstation.

Maybe in the past when devs weren't coding to standardized PC architecture. Now there are low level API's all over on PC and it's become a myth.

Elog

Once again - because you people don't get it. There. Has. Been. No. Evidence. Of. RDNA2 features. On. PS5.

There's a reason for it. If I were you I'd just remain skeptical until a 3rd party does a tear down. Sony is refusing for whatever reason.

I do not think you even know how to define RDNA2 based on your comments. RDNA2 is primarily a basic architecture together with a micro fab node. Both the XSX and PS5 uses that architecture and node.

As to shaders, PS5 seemingly is one step ahead of the game and has a more advanced geometry engine driven prioritisation that is very similar to how Epic talked about it in the demo of EU5. This piece if the puzzle if what has created the stupid discussion about 'RDNA3 features'.

We also do not know to what extent they have made changes to the RT capabilities of the card - we just know it is very capable. Everything points in the direction of some serious customisation there as well.

Both consoles uses RDNA2 - just stop.

sircaw

Banned
PS5 has really a weak GPU, cant even run this game with 4k native, imagine the meltdowns when Digital Foundry begins to do reviews and comparisons.

Yer totally agree, Spiderman looked like shit, rachet and clank too, in fact, have you been seeing all the screenshots this last week released from sony, they all looked awful, so happy we can play all those bc titles all over again. Launch day is going to be fucking AWESOME.

Did you see how awful Demon souls looked, fuck that shit, give me Craig +crackdown and the power of the CLoud.

fuck Sony and there so many awful-looking exclusives.

Btw did you see Assasins creed is going to run at 4k and 60fps on the ps5, i can feel the power of the xbox right there, woohoo for a weak arse gpu.

Dirt is also going to have 120 fps mode, sigh if only i had bought an xbox, i could use all its better features like their new controller with much more advanced haptics and feedback., or their new ssd, i am so happy that Microsoft went with the slower option, who wants fast load times, and don't forget Microsofts sound engine, fuck Sony for investing in a better one, but hey check it out, i might get an extra blade of grass at 500 meters.

Have a good day

Yawn,

Elog

Maybe in the past when devs weren't coding to standardized PC architecture. Now there are low level API's all over on PC and it's become a myth.

I am not convinced that this will change. This generation has really shown some serious differences in how much you can get out of a 1.8 TFLOP card on a console compared to the PC.

Maybe it will change this generation - let us see - but the wide range of cards and the capabilities of those cards on the PC cause a lot of problems in coding close to the metal.

Ar¢tos

You still have a bloated OS and bloated graphics API filled with legacy stuff, a lot more background activity and virtualization layers (that sometimes even stack) to deal with hardware. Games are always never optimized as well as they are for consoles because of the huge amount of possible hardware combinations.
Consoles having fixed hardware and gaming orientated APIs + OS will always make better use of their hardware.

Hunnybun

I am not convinced that this will change. This generation has really shown some serious differences in how much you can get out of a 1.8 TFLOP card on a console compared to the PC.

Maybe it will change this generation - let us see - but the wide range of cards and the capabilities of those cards on the PC cause a lot of problems in coding close to the metal.

I'm not technically knowledgeable enough to say one way or another, but what I do think is definitely true is that console games always end up ALLOCATING their power much more efficiently.

I'd hazard that TLOU2 on Pro still looks better than any game currently available on PC. Ultra settings on something like Assassins Creed don't come close to bridging the gap created by the best developers coding to the most powerful baseline (still 1.8TF vs 1.3TF, after all).

Sure, it's still only 30fps, and that's a bummer, but it's still only part of the equation. You should be able to get TLOU2 at 4k 60 on a 7.2 TF GCN card, which is what, much less than half of a 2080Ti?

This is why I don't buy PCs. It's questionable whether even now, on the cusp of a new generation, they truly offer the best looking games. It's not worth it. Maybe when RT really takes off, but not now.

Ulsterman

Neo Member
Because Sony has marketed the PS5 (just as it did with PS4 pro which was a LIE) as a 4K (even 8k) box. And it CLEARLY isn't.

Yes this is the point I was getting at because the masses expert 4K even though they couldn't tell the difference between 1080p and 4K nevermind 1440p. This is a problem with marketing if you come out and say all are games will be 1440p/60fps the internet would be on fire it's not 4K it's underpowered. What the games industry need to do is get together and say they are bringing industry standards that all games most conform to and the first thing on that list should be a locked 60fps.

mickaus

why dynamic 4k? Is this the new norm?
PS3/360 could output at 1080, PS4 Pro can do 1440p, now PS5 can’t do proper 4K? Why can’t they just do proper 1440p instead, why the half hearted dynamic 4K? At least it is 60FPS but hopefully game developers can just jump properly from one resolution to the other. I just prefer full resolution.

Aidah

They don’t sell because they’re 60fps.
For one I think it would be pretty difficult to prove that the frame rate choice in the 60fps games/series out there has no hand in their success, but even if we assume it doesn't, 60fps didn't stop games from becoming top sellers or most popular, so apparently better graphics isn't important either.

Even for casuals, 60fps can be the better "seller", better graphics can be the better "seller", it really depends on the game/situation.

Last edited:

chonga

why dynamic 4k? Is this the new norm?
Dynamic already is the norm. And honestly it is a very useful tool.

If you have a game that's humming along nicely at full resolution and full frame rate but then suddenly there's a lot of action on screen or a particularly dense area are you going to gimp the whole game by dialling back everything such that when that moment happens it can still hit full resolution and full frame rate? No, you're not. So your options are unlock the frame rate and let it struggle - which is visually jarring to many people, or are you going to scale the resolution which is barely noticeable to many to the point where you have to start getting microscopes out to count pixels?

The choice is obvious.

Hunnybun

For one I think it would be pretty difficult to prove that the frame rate choice in the 60fps games/series out there has no hand in their success, but even if we assume it doesn't, 60fps didn't stop games from becoming top sellers or most popular.

Casuals or not, 60fps can be the better seller, better graphics can be the better seller, it really depends on the game/situation.

Yep. There's not much evidence that casual care about graphics. I'd imagine hard-core gamers care much more tbh.

Minecraft, Fortnite and PUBG all look like shit and are massive sellers.

Animal Crossing looks like shit and is the biggest game of the year.

FIFA and COD look ok but could look way better at 30fps, yet they're always the biggest games of the year.

It's clear that 60fps and or shit graphics don't stop lots of games selling in massive volume.

chonga

Yep. There's not much evidence that casual care about graphics. I'd imagine hard-core gamers care much more tbh.

Minecraft, Fortnite and PUBG all look like shit and are massive sellers.

Animal Crossing looks like shit and is the biggest game of the year.

FIFA and COD look ok but could look way better at 30fps, yet they're always the biggest games of the year.

It's clear that 60fps and or shit graphics don't stop lots of games selling in massive volume.
Because games like Minecraft and Fortnite are led by the gameplay.

What graphical fidelity can do is cover up bad gameplay - see Uncharted and TLOU. Your takeaway from those games are 'this looks incredible', not 'wow, this gameplay'.

Those titles would not sell very well if they looked as shit as the games you mentioned.

Hunnybun

Because games like Minecraft and Fortnite are led by the gameplay.

What graphical fidelity can do is cover up bad gameplay - see Uncharted and TLOU. Your takeaway from those games are 'this looks incredible', not 'wow, this gameplay'.

Those titles would not sell very well if they looked as shit as the games you mentioned.

The argument isn't so much that graphics are never a selling point, but that it's not necessarily more of a selling point than smooth gameplay (aka frame rate) or an interesting and original idea (Minecraft).

And as an aside, I don't honestly believe TLOU2 sold well because of its graphics. It's much more than that. The remastered version on PS4 continued selling for years, despite having obviously last gen graphics.

cudiye

We have so little info about the game even after PlayStation’s blog post the other day. We have no idea how it plays; whether it has a campaign mode or not. Not to mention that it has micro-transactions written all over it.

To me it looks more like a F2P multiplayer only game which doesn’t justify it’s full retail price. We have yet to see any full gameplay footage apart from a few snippets that explains nothing about the feel of the game.

How can anyone justify a pre-order of this game? And its price?

I think this game would be better off as a PS+ free game of the month of the PS5 release.

Dynamic resolution with cross gen graphics? Ugh!

Here it is Your dynamic 4k
images

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
Wait a minute. I think I've heard "dynamic resolution before".

Is this really next gen?

JimiNutz

Banned
I feel like we should have seen a lot more of this game by now. Could be good.

This is where I'm at.
I thought the announcement trailer showed some promise in terms of the gameplay (not a huge fan of the art style) and would love to see or hear more about this game.
At the moment I have little to no hype for the PS5 launch but this game turning out to be a surprise gem could convince me to keep that pre order.

Top Bottom