• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS5 discord integration expected March 2023 (Tom Henderson)

This should work at the console UI level. Which is nice, because the Xbox version is annoying as it isn't integrated into the system.

Last edited:

fart town usa

Gold Member
I don't really understand the appeal of discord, especially for big communities. It's just a chatroom and is impossible to keep up with if you aren't there 24/7.

Message Boards 4 Life.

cormack12

Gold Member
I don't really understand the appeal of discord, especially for big communities. It's just a chatroom and is impossible to keep up with if you aren't there 24/7.

Message Boards 4 Life.
If you use some of the bigger ones with bots/scripts they can manage your entire community. From ad hoc gaming sessions to more co-ordinated events.

It's quite powerful

ManaByte

This should work at the console UI level. Which is nice, because the Xbox version is annoying as it isn't integrated into the system.

The title of the article saying "Discord Voice" makes it sound like it's the same as the Xbox system where you just cast the call from the phone app.

ManaByte

Message Boards 4 Life.

My friends who had AIM transitioned to Discord. An ancient IRC channel I've been part of since before GAF existed moved to Discord. A friend of mine doesn't have a headset for his PC so we just use a Discord call for in-game chat when playing Fortnite (he uses the Discord phone app).

fart town usa

Gold Member
If you use some of the bigger ones with bots/scripts they can manage your entire community. From ad hoc gaming sessions to more co-ordinated events.

It's quite powerful
That's pretty cool. I can see the appeal in that.

I use discord for small groups. We're usually less than ten active people in the few servers I'm in. It's pretty cool.
That's cool too, definitely value in that.

My only experience is with a Resident Evil podcast, the community is good but the chat just plows through day in/day out. Can't ever keep up with any discussions. Mostly just lurk there now.

bender

What time is it?
My friends who had AIM transitioned to Discord. An ancient IRC channel I've been part of since before GAF existed moved to Discord. A friend of mine doesn't have a headset for his PC so we just use a Discord call for in-game chat when playing Fortnite (he uses the Discord phone app).

I was going to mention voice communication and ease of setup over a dedicated message board/IRC/etc. so your post sums it up nicely. I hate Discord though as I find the readability really poor even in small communities. I can't imagine how miserable the experience would be with anything of decent size.

Last edited:

Kuranghi

Message Boards 4 Life.

Thats how you do it, quit the job, sell your wife/kid(s)/dog(s) and get on Discord 24/7. Its as simple as that to keep up with the server zeitgeist.

Sought after retro wives have sky-rocketed in value since covid so you should be able to get a great price for her.

Indeed though, during lockdown I was glued to it so I could keep up with a few servers but now back to the old NeoG(r)AF(t).

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
The title of the article saying "Discord Voice" makes it sound like it's the same as the Xbox system where you just cast the call from the phone app.

So the Xbox app just throws the calls from your phone to your Xbox One or Xbox Series console?

ManaByte

So the Xbox app just throws the calls from your phone to your Xbox One or Xbox Series console?

It links a Discord call to an Xbox party. You link your Discord and Xbox accounts (which you can do already) and then when you start a voice chat on Discord it can play through a XB party. Which is why his article calling it "Discord Voice" makes it sound like the same system. You can already link your Discord and PS accounts, "Discord Voice" makes it sound like it's just casting the calls to the PS5.

fart town usa

Gold Member
Thats how you do it, quit the job, sell your wife/kid(s)/dog(s) and get on Discord 24/7. Its as simple as that to keep up with the server zeitgeist.

Sought after retro wives have sky-rocketed in value since covid so you should be able to get a great price for her.

Indeed though, during lockdown I was glued to it so I could keep up with a few servers but now back to the old NeoG(r)AF(t).
Morgan Freeman Applause GIF by The Academy Awards

It links a Discord call to an Xbox party. You link your Discord and Xbox accounts (which you can do already) and then when you start a voice chat on Discord it can play through a XB party. Which is why his article calling it "Discord Voice" makes it sound like the same system. You can already link your Discord and PS accounts, "Discord Voice" makes it sound like it's just casting the calls to the PS5.

I'm still a little confused, so I'm just going to ask A, B, or C. For anyone who has an Xbox and knows for sure how it works there:

A) You're able to join an Xbox party from Discord. When you start a normal party on Xbox it also appears on Discord, and you can join and participate in that Xbox party by using Discord.

B) You're able to join a Discord party from Xbox. When you start a normal Discord party, it also appears on Xbox, and you can join and participate in that Discord party by using your Xbox.

C) It works both ways, and whoever enters the party first at a given time is technically hosting it, either through discord or Xbox. You link a specific ongoing Xbox party chat to a specific Discord voice chat room, and anyone can join an participate regardless if they're on Xbox or Discord.

I'm just wondering if this will also mean that Xbox and PlayStation owners will be able to talk to each other on their own consoles through Discord. Unless B is true, the way the system works might never allow that.

ManaByte

I'm still a little confused, so I'm just going to ask A, B, or C. For anyone who has an Xbox and knows for sure how it works there:

A) You're able to join an Xbox party from Discord. When you start a normal party on Xbox it also appears on Discord, and you can join and participate in that Xbox party by using Discord.

B) You're able to join a Discord party from Xbox. When you start a normal Discord party, it also appears on Xbox, and you can join and participate in that Discord party by using your Xbox.

C) It works both ways, and whoever enters the party first at a given time is technically hosting it, either through discord or Xbox. You link a specific ongoing Xbox party chat to a specific Discord voice chat room, and anyone can join an participate regardless if they're on Xbox or Discord.

I'm just wondering if this will also mean that Xbox and PlayStation owners will be able to talk to each other on their own consoles through Discord. Unless B is true, the way the system works might never allow that.
https://www.windowscentral.com/gami...-download-and-use-voice-chat-on-xbox-consoles

Top Bottom