• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ps5 chipset limited you 32gbps over HDMI 2.1

Status
Not open for further replies.

John Wick

Like I said last week when it came up, most of the (useful) 2.1 features will be added in time as they did for PS3 and PS4. It sucks that they couldn't get the firmware side in a better state for launch but then the game/dev side is very good. For a game console it makes sense to prioritise games and dev tools over currently niche HDMI features that very few can take full advantage of. It also allows them more time for bugs to be ironed out as we have seen with the 2.1 bug in multi thousand £$ AV amps.
BOOM!
Exactly! It shows how people forget how previous consoles launched and how features were added over time. A console should prioritise games and gaming first. Sony have the games at launch and the UI is excellant. I can wait for the other features to be patched in

ethomaz

Banned
if it is capped it isn’t outputting with 444 HDR because it has to be 40.1Gbps for that. It will do 4k@120 without it at 32Gbps
That is why I'm saying if PS5 is outputting HDR 444 already debunk the video... I know it output 4k120 now we needs to check if 4:2:2 only or 4:4:4 with HDR.

YCoCg

A lot of people both here and in Xbox threads seem to be very confused about this so let me lay it out clearly...

BOTH ARE HDMI2.1!

Hardware wise they are 2.1 ports and CAN achieve full 48Gbps if needed. HOWEVER, software wise they are both gimping the ports. Xbox seems to be aiming for the 40.1Gbps which falls in line with a lot of TV's released recently that only use up to 10bit panels (so the 12bit bandwidth isn't considered and should be set accordingly). Sony though, they've made a weird choice here, this seems more like a flaw that needs to be fixed, which again for a new console is very surprising to be making minor mistakes like this.

noise36

Apparently the included HDMI cable has issues as well. I haven't had issues but have only played Astros so far which probably isn't pushing the system much.

Last edited:

FrankWza

I love how sony is gonna fix every flaw via patches but when Microsoft say the same thing it get trolled hard.

That’s what happens when you have a track record and communicate honestly instead of pretending or half-truthing things. Why would anyone with a PS5 be unhappy right now? What about the worlds fastest conbox
Right because this can be patched but nothing on the Xbox can be right? Go back to your circle jerk threads if you can't handle the heat.

come on now. Whatever feature that PS does not currently have is completely patchable. You can’t patch in a bunch of games a hardware redesign though

ethomaz

Banned
I just found the info about the HDMI 2.1 chipset in PS5.

Panasonic MN864739

It support 48Gbps... so there is no hardware limitation like some usual are trying to make buzz lol.

BTW the video even asks if the chipset supports 40 or 48 Gbps... that makes his claim very weird because it supports 48 Gbps.

Last edited:

geordiemp

Panasonic MN864739

It support 48Gbps... so there is no hardware limitation like some usual are trying to make buzz lol.

BTW the video even asks if the chipset supports 40 or 48 Gbps... that makes his claim very weird because it supports 48 Gbps.

Give our xbox fans in this thread some win, at least a terraflop. Show some pity.

Last edited:

reinking

Gold Member
I love this place. If this was the Xbox it would be 5 pages of Craig memes and lol Xbox. But since it’s PlayStation it’s “they’ll fix it”. “It just needs a patch no big deal”.
This is such a false statement these days. Especially around here. The Xbox fans have been as much if not more vocal than the PS fans. Not sure why they want to play the victim card all of the time.

ethomaz

Banned
I just watched the video.
I will apologize for some harsh words to the video creator because from the thread I though he was affirming PS5 output at 32Gbps max.

That is not the case.

What he say is that he could get more than these two modes in his setup:

4K@60Hz at 12-bit RGB = 32Gbps (8Gbps at 4 Lanes)
4K@120Hz at 12-bit 4:2:2 = 32Gbps (8Gbps at 4 Lanes)

He could not get over these two modes (RGB is 4:4:4 btw).

Last edited:

cebri.one

Panasonic MN864739

Where is the data sheet for that chipset, could you link it?

Tefl0n

Covid hurt delayed software development of the PS5 and XSX. PS5 is behind in firmware and XSX is behind in developer tool set, both will be resolved in the near future.

cebri.one

As well as the evidence that is the actual chip. I can find neither.

The chip exists, but I don't know the specs. Here is the picture
028.jpg

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Since having both Consoles, I never sat there playing games and said, "wow - this isn't HDMI 2.1".

How do you even enjoy gaming?

I dont understand why PS fans get so butthurt. PS5 hardware was released in beta state, this would probably get patch soon and work fine.

Uhhh, that is what PS fans have been saying this whole thread. The butthurt is not in their direction.

Last edited:

cebri.one

Since having both Consoles, I never sat there playing games and said, "wow - this isn't HDMI 2.1".

To be honest I think that, apart from the current lack of support of VRR and ALLM, it is a completely irrelevant topic.

Most TVs are shit and 90% of homeowners TVs don't support HDMI 2.1, you could justify buying a new 4K tv if you had a FULLHD TV or older, but who is going to buy a new 4K TV just because there HDMI interface is not the latest.

And even if you get 120hz 4K full RGB you are not going to notice the difference because most TV panels are crap unless you spent quite a lot of money on it. As for 8K... is the latest marketing gimmick from TV manufacturers eager to sell you the latest thing. IMO with resolutions above 1440p, even with big 50 inch display you enter in the land of rapidly diminish returns.

THE:MILKMAN

I dont understand why PS fans get so butthurt. PS5 hardware was released in beta state, this would probably get patch soon and work fine.

It really isn't "beta". It is Sony being very cautious as they were with all their HDMI consoles. Release with the features of the most stable version (effectively a high bandwidth version of 2.0b for PS5) and add features as they become stable.

Even with the very latest AV amps (that arrived well late with a 2.1 port!) have still released with firmware bugs.

As an aside, do we know the precise make/model of HDMI chipset from Panasonic that is in the AV amps and is it the same one in the consoles?

GymWolf

That’s what happens when you have a track record and communicate honestly instead of pretending or half-truthing things. Why would anyone with a PS5 be unhappy right now? What about the worlds fastest conbox

come on now. Whatever feature that PS does not currently have is completely patchable. You can’t patch in a bunch of games a hardware redesign though
No that's what happen during fanboy console war on forums.

After the "we believe in generations" bullshit from sony they are as believable as microsoft to my eyes.

Jigga117

It really isn't "beta". It is Sony being very cautious as they were with all their HDMI consoles. Release with the features of the most stable version (effectively a high bandwidth version of 2.0b for PS5) and add features as they become stable.

Even with the very latest AV amps (that arrived well late with a 2.1 port!) have still released with firmware bugs.

As an aside, do we know the precise make/model of HDMI chipset from Panasonic that is in the AV amps and is it the same one in the consoles?
You know it is a mess because one of the YouTube sites got 4@@120hz 10bit 444 to push thru on one of the receivers with the Xbox Series X. but yet all have a problem with the RTX series at the time. I will look what I saw yesterday and link.

Last edited:

Panasonic MN864739

Can you send over the link that shows the specs of that chipset and what it supports?

Also, can you show the video that debunks Vincents? I mean the PS5 setting screen shows a stepdown to YUV when you go 4K 120.

I just watched the video.
I will apologize for some harsh words to the video creator because from the thread I though he was affirming PS5 output at 32Gbps max.

That is not the case.

What he say is that he could get more than these two modes in his setup:

4K@60Hz at 12-bit RGB = 32Gbps (8Gbps at 4 Lanes)
4K@120Hz at 12-bit 4:2:2 = 32Gbps (8Gbps at 4 Lanes)

He could not get over these two modes (RGB is 4:4:4 btw).

Wait so all your posts were before you watched the video, and now after watching the video you are agreeing that he can't exceed 32GB just like the PS5 setting screen says?

Can you also provide the link with the datasheet for the Panasonic chipset that you supposedly found which says its 48GB?

Or are you just making stuff up as you go?

FrankWza

This is such a false statement these days. Especially around here. The Xbox fans have been as much if not more vocal than the PS fans. Not sure why they want to play the victim card all of the time.
That love to war themselves, yet were super absent in the 3rd party game face-offs. See something slightly negative again, and they pounce like a pack of coyote.

And yes, this happens on both sides.
[/QUOTE]

yeah. It absolutely is on both sides. But worlds most powerful and 3rd party dominant claim getting crushed was just too much. It was supposed to be the selling point when Sony released exclusive after exclusive A
No that's what happen during fanboy console war on forums.

After the "we believe in generations" bullshit from sony they are as believable as microsoft to my eyes.
and yet, ratchet, DeS remake and GT7 plus others will release exclusively on PS5. So many exclusives that it will still prove true. Why Piss off 100 million people by not releasing a few cross gen games. They have aaa exclusives to spare. Meanwhile, the most powerful console is done. RDNA was full alright, full of crap. Wait for those Bethesda multiplats....

Last edited:

Jigga117

That love to war themselves, yet were super absent in the 3rd party game face-offs. See something slightly negative again, and they pounce like a pack of coyote.

yeah. It absolutely is on both sides. But worlds most powerful and 3rd party dominant claim getting crushed was just too much. It was supposed to be the selling point when Sony released exclusive after exclusive A

and yet, ratchet, DeS remake and GT7 plus others will release exclusively on PS5. So many exclusives that it will still prove true. Why Piss off 100 million people by not releasing a few cross gen games. They have aaa exclusives to spare. Meanwhile, the most powerful console is done. RDNA was full alright, full of crap. Wait for those Bethesda multiplats....
[/QUOTE]
This is a sad ass post 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

I love this place. If this was the Xbox it would be 5 pages of Craig memes and lol Xbox. But since it’s PlayStation it’s “they’ll fix it”. “It just needs a patch no big deal”.
It's pretty amazing. I imagined a few like DeepEnigma DeepEnigma breathing into a paper sack. I suppose i'm an xbox fanboy despite not owning the xbone last gen.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
It's pretty amazing. I imagined a few like DeepEnigma DeepEnigma breathing into a paper sack. I suppose i'm an xbox fanboy despite not owning the xbone last gen.

Yeah, I need the paper sack, even though I have been on the fence with this since I know how these reactionary threads go.

I even said both consoles will probably get updated when they are ready to. It is clear both are not feature complete out of the gate, as it were the gen prior, and the gen prior to that.

If you want to use me as your thesis, find where I pile on Xbox threads like fanatics do to both. I'll wait. Here's a hint, I stay out of them 99% of the time, don't lump me with others.

Last edited:

NickFire

I heard Series X has a time machine baked right into the hardware. I heard Sony had one too, but I checked. PS5 only allows standard teleportation. You can't go back in time even 1 second. That's some grade A BS.

Last edited:

GymWolf

[/QUOTE]
I don't give a damn about stuff like ratchet when the biggest new IPs from last gen are gonna be crossgen for the next 1-2 years, that is not how you believe in generations, no matter the spin some peope try to put on the argument.

I have to thank sony because some games are ps5 exclusives?? That is the fucking bottom of the barrel requirement when you start a new gen ffs...

Microsoft was more honest about exclusives in their ecosystem since day zero.

My point is, they both lie so it's hilarious to think that everything that sony says is true and everything that M says is fake, this is pure fanboyism.

Last edited:

OverHeat

« generous god »
At the moment my PS5 is connected to my C8 OLED so I don’t care if it as low bandwidth. My Series X on my CX since I play MP on it for the moment.

FrankWza

it's hilarious to think that everything that sony says is true and everything that M says is fake,

not everything. Just prioritize what’s important. Being lied to about hardware, power and console exclusivity is more worse than releasing the biggest franchises so that millions can enjoy.Gotta pay the bills too. There will still be plenty of next gen exclusives. That’s just the way it is. It’s not fanboy. That term gets thrown around too much. Meanwhile, in order for x to deliver what they promised they’re gonna have to release a new console.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom