• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HDMI 2.1 is going to be big in 2020. Here’s everything you need to know

Rbk_3

I have the C9 and a 2080 Super so I have been taking advantage of some of the benefits. What I really want is a 3080 ti with an HDMI 2.1 port and I will be set for the next 4+ years.

Dibils2k

not a huge deal for console gamers tbh

4k/60fps is the max i expect from next gen

i dont see any major dev targeting 60fps+ when they still havent hit 60 consistently

Soodanim

i dont see any major dev targeting 60fps+ when they still havent hit 60 consistently
No tearing ever again IS a huge deal, especially when it is combined with up to 120fps. Smaller, less demanding games? 120fps, smooth as hell. Can’t hit 120? Fine, run at 97fps. AAA? Those frame rate drops won’t be a big deal when there’s no tearing. When this is widely adopted the benefits will be fantastic.

I’m more surprised it’s only being classed as 2.1 given all the improvements.

ZywyPL

Banned

Not in SP, that's for sure, but I can see some devs making additional 120FPS mode in MP by dropping details and resolution, like Gears 4 or UC4 did.

I've got a Samsung q70 from 2019. For whatever reason I can't have auto low latency mode and variable refresh enabled at the same time. If I want variable refresh I have to manually set the Game mode to on. OR I can turn off variable refresh and have auto game mode. It's a glitch somewhere. It's either a problem in the hdmi 2.0 standard OR a problem with my samsung tv OR a problem with my xbox one x. It's confoosing.

JimboJones

Seems like TV and moniters are all over the place at the moment, feels like your giving up at least one cool feature when buying a TV or monitor these days.

Skyr

And that's exactly why VRR is so usefull even on consoles. Usually console games have Adaptivc VSync. That means as long as the framerate is at a consistent 60 fps Vsync is on, and if it drops below that it is turned off to avoid vsync related stuttering! But that leads to tearing of course. With VRR that tearing is dealt with. That is a huge deal! And people that game on gsync or freesync monitors for years now will tell you the same.

Skyr

Seems like TV and moniters are all over the place at the moment, feels like your giving up at least one cool feature when buying a TV or monitor these days.
Not sure what you mean by that. There aren't many TV's with HDMI 2.1 out yet. They are mainly in the higher end segment but in 2021 most new TV's should have it. If you are gamer and looking for a new TV, definitely don't buy one without it.

JimboJones

Not sure what you mean by that. There aren't many TV's with HDMI 2.1 out yet. They are mainly in the higher end segment but in 2021 most new TV's should have it. If you are gamer and looking for a new TV, definitely don't buy one without it.

I just mean at the moment, buying a TV with high refresh rate, variable refresh rate, decent HDR, 4k, decent panel etc.
Sometimes you go into stores and mention any of these things they guys behind the counter are clueless lol.

Skyr

I just mean at the moment, buying a TV with high refresh rate, variable refresh rate, decent HDR, 4k, decent panel etc.
Sometimes you go into stores and mention any of these things they guys behind the counter are clueless lol.
Well, ye from my experience forget about asking those people for advice. You prolly have a 10% chance of encountering someone competent, especially when it's about gaming related features. Do your own reserach and reach out to AV related forums.

Genx3

People should remember when shopping for a TV that just because a TV has HDMI 2.1 does not mean that the TV supports every feature that HDMI 2.1 can support. For example its possible to buy a TV with an HDMI 2.1 port that does not have VRR.
You need to verify what features the TV actually supports.

Tygeezy

You need to be careful with buying a “hdmi 2.1” tv. All of the cool new features are optional, so if yo I don’t do your homework you could be the owner of a hdmi 2.1 tv with no vrr, allm.

The extra bandwidth provided by 2.1 makes it unnecessary for those features to be on 2.1. Samsung has some TVs that are hdmi 2.0b but have optional 2.1 features like allm.

Tygeezy

Games will be created with fixed 60hz output in mind.... (so 30 or 60fps)

You can't create games expecting all users to change their TVs in 2021 or later for HDMI 2.1.

Unstable frame rate is a no go
60 FPS at 120 hz has lower input lag than 60 FPS at 60 hz.

So even if the majority of games don’t target 120 you will be at an advantage with these newer TVs.

TVs released recently have been incredible. Input lag is on par with gaming monitors up to 144 hz.

60 FPS at 120 hz has lower input lag than 60 FPS at 60 hz.

So even if the majority of games don’t target 120 you will be at an advantage with these newer TVs.

TVs released recently have been incredible. Input lag is on par with gaming monitors up to 144 hz.

Still doesn't change the fact that 99% of the TVs in people's homes don't support 4K@120hz

They can support 1080p@120hz

It's great that TV's this year will have HDMI 2.1 but where the damn AV receivers at!!!???

Costly upgrade for me, at least 7k or 8k AUD for an LG CX9. And then another 3k for an HDMI 2.1 receiver.
It will be worth it though.
So you gonna spend AUD 7000-8000 for your tv and AUD 3000
For a HDMI 2.1 receiver? So AUD 10.000-11.000?? How much it that USA $?😳
O well its your money😉

Last edited:

Tygeezy

First of all: don't be a pessimist :) Secondly:

VRR is like Freesync/G-sync, so a not-so-steady 60fps (between 45-60) will appear much more fluid en stable with VRR enabled. I expect next-gen consoles to take full advantage of this.

Also, ALLM basically ensures the lowest possible latency which is ALWAYS a good thing. You would surely notice it in direct comparison.

HDMI 2.1 with dynamic HDR provides much improved visual quality compared to previous "generations" of displaying HDR.

Also, Samsung QLEDs suck.
“Dynamic hdr” really isn’t needed in video games because any game with a good hdr interpretation is going to allow you to adjust the peak brightness which eliminates the need for dynamic tone mapping(dynamic hdr).

In an ideal situation you don’t want to tone map. It’s needed in films because they are mastered at brightness levels that exceed the peak brightness of our TVs and we can’t manually adjust films like we can control video games.

Last edited:

Hostile_18

Banned
I dont think they would ever sacrifice the amount of graphical power needed to achieve 120 frames a second IMO. They barely do it now for 60, which nearly everyone could get, never mind double that for a relatively tiny segment of the audience (and even then at what cost to the image would those who've invested have to give up to run a game at 120).

Outside of legacy games it's a bit of a minefield IMO.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Gimme that LG OLED48CXPUA goodness this year!

Tygeezy

Gimme that LG OLED48CXPUA goodness this year!

One issue I have with the cx is they got rid of dts support this year. That’s not a problem if you go to receiver first and then to tv, but I use earc to pass audio from tv to redirect since no receivers currently in the market will pass gsync/vrr.

I use my pc as a console and media player with a lot of dts content so cx is no go. I’d pick up c9 if it’s cheaper and you don’t need 48 inch.

Last edited:

Tygeezy

HDMI and HDR standardisation have been an absolute car crash, I'm sure they'll find a way to fuck it up.
Yep, you have to do some serious homework to get all the features you want and to understand how everything works. Simple branding isn’t enough due to “optional” specifications.

Last edited:

Shakka43

Can't imagine PS5 pushing anything higher than 4K/60fps for their top games so my Bravia x900e will have to do for the next 4 or 5 years.

Tygeezy

Can't imagine PS5 pushing anything higher than 4K/60fps for their top games so my Bravia x900e will have to do for the next 4 or 5 years.
Your tv supports 120 hz at 1080 p. So for any game that has 120 fps that will be an option.

sol_bad

So you gonna spend AUD 7000-8000 for your tv and AUD 3000
For a HDMI 2.1 receiver? So AUD 10.000-11.000?? How much it that USA $?😳
O well its your money😉

It works out to be about 6300USD.
I spent about 10k 12 years ago for my current TV and surround sound. Worth every penny for me.
And in Australia you can generally pay your TV off with 0% interest for 60 months or so.

Tygeezy

It works out to be about 6300USD.
I spent about 10k 12 years ago for my current TV and surround sound. Worth every penny for me.
And in Australia you can generally pay your TV off with 0% interest for 60 months or so.
You need to be careful when buying a receiver. Make sure it supports all these new features just like how you dont want to get a tv that says hdmi 2.1 but is missing all the cool new features.

I know yamaha is coming out with a receiver later this year with vrr and allm support @ 120 hz 4k. Im sure Denon will follow suit.

-Arcadia-

Banned
“Dynamic hdr” really isn’t needed in video games because any game with a good hdr interpretation is going to allow you to adjust the peak brightness which eliminates the need for dynamic tone mapping(dynamic hdr).

In an ideal situation you don’t want to tone map. It’s needed in films because they are mastered at brightness levels that exceed the peak brightness of our TVs and we can’t manually adjust films like we can control video games.

Hey, thank you for taking the time to explain this. Even for the most dedicated gamers, it’s really easy to get lost in a glossary of unfamiliar TV terms and features.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
One issue I have with the cx is they got rid of dts support this year. That’s not a problem if you go to receiver first and then to tv, but I use earc to pass audio from tv to redirect since no receivers currently in the market will pass gsync/vrr.

I use my pc as a console and media player with a lot of dts content so cx is no go. I’d pick up c9 if it’s cheaper and you don’t need 48 inch.

I want the 48” for the pixel density.

sol_bad

You need to be careful when buying a receiver. Make sure it supports all these new features just like how you dont want to get a tv that says hdmi 2.1 but is missing all the cool new features.

I know yamaha is coming out with a receiver later this year with vrr and allm support @ 120 hz 4k. Im sure Denon will follow suit.

I'll definitely make sure.
It'll be nice to have atmos too!!! Just remembered I'll need 2 extra speakers now too.

Moogle11

Banned
I have my eye on seeing how the 65” TCLs turn out this year since they confirmed 2.1 a while back. If they come out at their typical prices with the COVID manufacturing disruptions in China.

Cyborg

Guys,

Bought an LGCX55 hooked it up to PS4Pro but I find out I dont own a HDMI 2.0 cable (think I lost it).

Should I buy just a new 2.0(b) or order 2.1? And if so do you have any recommendations.

I read that with 2.0 you cant use VRR . I know PS4 doesnt support this but for the future.

D-Dude

Bought a Sony X950G65 today, but it has no 2.1 but a lot of other features.
I don't think the nextgen consoles are going to support games for 2.1 besides maybe some indies or racers. I'm good for the next 5 years

martino

Bought a Sony X950G65 today, but it has no 2.1 but a lot of other features.
I don't think the nextgen consoles are going to support games for 2.1 besides maybe some indies or racers. I'm good for the next 5 years

i don't understand ?
both will be hdmi 2.1.
I expect unlocked framerate option for all games

Last edited:
Top Bottom