• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New ambilight- like HDMI 2.1 sync-box (and lights) : Lytmi fantasy 3

'Evening boys and gals.

So, apparently, Lytmi is about to release the 1st HDMI 2.1 capable sync-box on the market, something which not even Philips itself has done so far.
Now, the whole ambilight thing is not something new since Philips has been using this on their TV's for well over a decade the catch being, you either have to buy one of their TV's (obviously), or, get a Hue bridge + sync-box+RGB lamps/Led strips which can cost up to 450+ Eurodollars after all it's been said and done (on Selected Samsung Tvs and PC you can do without the sync-box though since the connection is.made through software).

Now, i can already see the incoming "LOL RGB GaEmer lights LOL" but...it's not that, ambilight (and the equivalent systems) are very specific compared to the usual and gaudy RGB lighting you see featured in every Youtuber's "content", basically, the lighting serves 2 purposes, 1st is to reduce eye strain acting as bias lighting and 2nd, it "expands" the content on the screen and thus giving greater immersion (if that's your thing), i.e, it's not just some random RGB lighting playing in the background.
Here's a couple of good examples :

On Philips native Ambilight, the response is immediate compared to other options on the market - the other options being the various Govee kits (T1 & T2) which, while being a good alternative (the T1 goes for 60 Eurodollars right now), unfortunately, they rely on a camera for the ambilight effect to kick in, meaning, even the newer T2 has noticeable lag with the color transitioning, also, it's a pain to set-up, plus, the color representation/transitioning is always "off" with dark parts of the screen translating as either deep red or blue (or even white).
Again, it's a good and cheaper alternative but the camera which the system relies on is just no bueno.
Taking a look at various YouTube comparisons, the Lytmi sync-box always was a good and better alternative than the Govee one (better/more responsive picture sync, better color representation etc), but, like most sync-boxes out there was restricted in being HDMI 2.0 (4K@60 Max).

The new Lytmi is HDMI 2.1 meaning, it will play well with consoles set at 120Hz , plus, it has 4 HDMI 2.1 ports to connect more than 1 console /video devices to it (big+ IMO especially for those that have TVs with only 2 HDMI 2.1 ports acting as an HDMI 2.1 switch).

The catch is...it costs about 200 Eurodollars which while steep, it's still half the price of a Philips ambilight/Hue set-up and it's "just" 40-50 bucks/euros more than the Govee T2 envision kit (always depending on where you live).

I know that there's a myriad of unknown quality Chinese sync-boxes on AliExpress etc but, they're restricted to 4K@60 and - again - they're of unknown quality (like most of the PRC shit on Amazon and AliExpress).
I also know that you can create an Ambilight kit on the cheap using a Raspberry pi, but, you have to be somewhat technically inclined to set the whole thing up.

Mind you, this new sync-box from Lytmi isn't officially out yet so if anyone's interested, you might as well wait a couple.of weeks/months until the usual kinks get sorted out (being V1 and all that jazz).
Here's a (most probably paid) preview :

TLDNR : Good /cheaper TV Ambilight alternative that doesn't rely on a camera with full HDMI 2.1 support (8k@60, 4K@120Hz)

Cheers

EDIT : these won't do VRR 😔

Last edited:
Gaming without ambilight looks like this to me.
8o1xFhs.png

If you experienced gaming with ambilight you never go back.

I played Dirt 5 was racing at night and suddenly there was lightning everywhere. As if you were looking left and right out of the cockpit. Indescribable.

Last edited:
Compared to the other options or there, this one actually looks really impressive.

It really is brother, that's why I posted it, I mean, if you take a look on YouTube about the previous Lytmi HDMI 2.0.version you'll notice that it's almost as good as a Philips ambilight /Hue system !

Also, like Rocco Schiavone said, if you start gaming/get used to an Ambilight/Philips TV you can't go back, it really is immersive since it's not some RGB rainbow light shit playing at the back of your TV, it really gives the impression of having a bigger inch panel /TV.

cheers

Kuranghi

I think its really nice for movies but for games I find it distracting, probably its just because I'm watching a video of it so its not how my actual FoV of the display would be + I'm passively watching it rather than playing but it makes me want to look off the screen at the light.

This is all well and good if you have the setup for it as well, my TV is infront of a window so its a no go and many UK living rooms means the corner is the best place for the TV so its kinda wasted there too. Thats not just me saying that its what I hear from a lot of customers who come in to buy a Philips for ambiilight, they didnt even realise that it would be a factor.

daveonezero

Banned
Even just a led strip set to 6500k or whatever makes a big difference imo.

Definitely going to be looking at this on my next setup

Last edited:

spons

Gold Member
Ambilight is about the last proper thing Philips did before they went down the plughole and sold everything to the Chinese.

skneogaf

It's not for me when Im watching movies and TV shows or if I'm playing something but I can understand if I'm watching/listening to music.

poodaddy

Gold Member
I'd love some bias lighting for my game room, so this is of interest to me. I never realized how much eye strain I might be getting from HDR gaming in a dark room, but I must admit I end up wearing sunglasses pretty much all day the day after I game for more than two or three hours in there. Anything to reduce eye strain, I'm here for it.

GymWolf

I have some light coming from the leds on the pc and modem, it's well enough to not be completely in the dark.

Never understood the love for ambilight stuff, i guess it looks cool but i would never play or watch a movie with that shit turned on...

Last edited:
I recently picked up the Govee T2 kit for my 65" C1. Its very good. Latency isn't noticeable when in gaming mode though I'm certain it doesn't compare with immediate response HDMI based solutions.

I'm genuinely shocked that no other TV manufacture has created an aftermarket lighting kit. Once you try a system like this you will understand the night and day difference in immersion. I understand that Philips has probably patented the integrated Ambilight on the tv itself but why doesn't Samsung, Sony, LG... offer a decent stand alone box/solution? Heck, why wouldn't AV receiver companies build the tech into the receiver itself? It's a hyper competitive market. It doesn't make any sense why companies are sleeping on this.

Schmendrick

If you experienced gaming with ambilight you never go back.

Don`t generalize.
Experienced it, went back very fast. I found it irritating, and that`s putting it nicely. In fact out of 3 ppl that have some form of ambilight setup in my vicinity 2 have set it to being a fixed ambient light permanently.

Last edited:

Comandr

I guess I'm the odd one out that doesn't like ambient lighting like this. I've tried on two separate occasions but I guess for me, I never use the TV in a room dark enough for it to be noteworthy? Mostly I just find the light distracting, so the experience is a subtractive one.

Unrelated: Disproportionately annoyed by OP's first video with his fucking sonic statue in front of the TV. I can't fathom trying to showcase creating a scene or atmosphere and then sticking random garbage in front of the main attraction. Imagine if the Lourve just put a standee of Michael Scott just kind of vaguely in front of the Mona Lisa. Nothing should block the view of the object you're intending to look at.

MLSS-Fawful_Fury%21.png

hinch7

Looks a bit distracting tbh. Good for those who like that kinda thing though, best I've seen from this tech.

Last edited:

Indyblue

So how well does something like this work if your tv isn’t wall mounted? Mines on a stand about a foot from the wall. Would this, or any bias lighting system work well for me?

Pejo

So how well does something like this work if your tv isn’t wall mounted? Mines on a stand about a foot from the wall. Would this, or any bias lighting system work well for me?
My tv is about 2~ft from the wall on my entertainment center on its stand, and I have no complaints about it. You can adjust brightness/hue/saturation if it's too much for you personally. I guess it depends on how much light leakage you're ok with.

I think it looks best when there are literally no other lights on and basically lights up that whole wall, but I'm sure others prefer a more subdued backlight.

Last edited:

CamHostage

I'm genuinely shocked that no other TV manufacture has created an aftermarket lighting kit. Once you try a system like this you will understand the night and day difference in immersion. I understand that Philips has probably patented the integrated Ambilight on the tv itself but why doesn't Samsung, Sony, LG... offer a decent stand alone box/solution?

I'm kind of shocked that the HDMI Forum didn't add "pass-through lighting" as a feature in the HDMI spec these past years.

I feel like an official HDMI version* of ambient lighting could and should have been introduced by now. The tech and idea has been around for over a decade, with various ideas and improvements offered up over the years yet never acted upon. (Microsoft had its own idea for ambient lighting augmentation with its Illumiroom projector concept 10 years ago, and Razer has its Chroma RGB system of responsive lighting with game-specific effects on devices tied to its PC-based system, as well as its own "Project Ariana" concept for projector-based ambient lighting.)

The HDMI Forum has some assumed interest in expanding passthrough capabilities of its devices (audio passthrough has allowed HDMI to kick Optical Audio off many TV IO boards, for better or worse,) and if there was a signal HDMI could carry which would not compromise security (ie not pass through the actual hi-def video signal beyond the destination device) and could be used for multiple purposes, that's good for them. Sell more cords, pitch more manufacturers to put HDMI passthrough ports on their devices. However, pass-through in general has never been a feature the HDMI Forum has fully concentrated on (and with basic audio HDMI still can have lots of trouble, so maybe it's for the best that they never tried to do more...) and Philips has ultimately been all alone out there pitching this tech as important, cool, and worth spending too much money on.

(*Philips does have has patents related to Ambilight but I don't think they really can "own" taking video signal and using it to project light beyond the video screen? Often there are ways around patents if you do it your own way; for instance, Ambilight has a lot of specifics about "u-shaped light guides", because it can't just say a bright strip since they don't control LED strip technology.)

Last edited:

coffinbirth

I'm kind of shocked that the HDMI Forum didn't add "pass-through lighting" as a feature in the HDMI spec these past years.

I feel like an official HDMI version* of ambient lighting could and should have been introduced by now. The tech and idea has been around for over a decade, with various ideas and improvements offered up over the years yet never acted upon. (Microsoft had its own idea for ambient lighting augmentation with its Illumiroom projector concept 10 years ago, and Razer has its Chroma RGB system of responsive lighting with game-specific effects on devices tied to its PC-based system, as well as its own "Project Ariana" concept for projector-based ambient lighting.)

The HDMI Forum has some assumed interest in expanding passthrough capabilities of its devices (audio passthrough has allowed HDMI to kick Optical Audio off many TV IO boards, for better or worse,) and if there was a signal HDMI could carry which would not compromise security (ie not pass through the actual hi-def video signal beyond the destination device) and could be used for multiple purposes, that's good for them. Sell more cords, pitch more manufacturers to put HDMI passthrough ports on their devices. However, pass-through in general has never been a feature the HDMI Forum has fully concentrated on (and with basic audio HDMI still can have lots of trouble, so maybe it's for the best that they never tried to do more...) and Philips has ultimately been all alone out there pitching this tech as important, cool, and worth spending too much money on.

(*Philips does have has patents related to Ambilight but I don't think they really can "own" taking video signal and using it to project light beyond the video screen? Often there are ways around patents if you do it your own way; for instance, Ambilight has a lot of specifics about "u-shaped light guides", because it can't just say a bright strip since they don't control LED strip technology.)
I was JUST about to post about IllumiRoom.
VERY cool tech that sadly never got in our hands. There were plenty of "wow" moments in that presentation, but the neatest thing for me was seeing that skiing(snowboarding?) game and it looked like it was snowing in the room. I STILL want that.

They were also working on a lesser known project called RoomAlive that used projectors in conjunction with Kinect that looked bonkers. Struck me as what AR should actually be like.

It's in there.

Thanks man.

Well, that's it then, the dream is dead...the no VRR thing is -literally - a deal breaker, I mean, heck, why release a HDMI 2.1 kit/version in the first place if there are going to be restrictions again ? Bloody hell...
Why can't these companies sort these things out ? Question : Would this even be fixable via FW update or is it hardware related ?
I could "forgive" the fact that it doesn't work on native apps since everything has to pass through the sync-box but no support for VRR is just nope.

In the end, the Govee solution seems like the best bet since it works both with the TV's native apps AND it doesn't have any problems with VRR/120Hz etc - camera and lack of fast color synchronization be damned.

Thyuda

It looks neat but I cannot tell for the life of me if that's something I'd enjoy in person or if I'd just be distracted by the lights. Plus I usually don't play in a light controlled room...

mrmustard

Banned
Sure it's great, but too expensive. I just put a 5 Euro Alexa Wifi LED behind my tv and i'm very happy.

Last edited:

CamHostage

Well, that's it then, the dream is dead...the no VRR thing is -literally - a deal breaker, I mean, heck, why release a HDMI 2.1 kit/version in the first place if there are going to be restrictions again ? Bloody hell...
Why can't these companies sort these things out ? Question : Would this even be fixable via FW update or is it hardware related ?
I could "forgive" the fact that it doesn't work on native apps since everything has to pass through the sync-box but no support for VRR is just nope.

I think it's security/encryption-related; companies don't want you to be able to use video signal for anything other than displaying content (assumedly paid for) on your television or monitor. On the audio front, there's been a lot of ups and downs as far as HDMI pass-through via its ARC/eARC feature set (you'll sometimes face incompatibility issues, or lip sync failures, or sometimes an audio format isn't supported, etc.) Video pass-through is a mess (buying a splitter tends to either be a compatibility mess, a signal quality drop, or a successful "violation" of copy-protection systems.) So, it tends to be an unnecessary complication.

It's a shame, since I could think of some things that could be cool with additional signals included in an HDMI signal passed through to an external box...

Lighting is one, be it either smartlight devices or a projector. The MS and Razer solutions projected from behind the player and thus got too complicated to sell, but I could actually see a future short-throw projector behind the TV working for most of these effects (provided short-throw could come down in price and the resolution didn't compromise the feed of the main video.) General ambient lighting control in general could be passed along in a similar signal format as audio. (You have 5.1 speakers, so why not "5.1 lighting", with lightbars left and right and behind plus the main light behind your set and a kicker strobe? You could even assign your existing smartlighting as devices assuming it was a WiFi controller, so all your lights in your room could go off when you die.)

2.jpg

Another concept I'd like to see explored might be rumble and tactile systems; currently rumble is passed through to game controllers as sort of an audio format (and the game box makes the signal, passing it straight to the controller,) but there also could be a signal standardized as part of the HDMI spec for different types of rumble use. D-BOX could eventually sell home furniture to bring its rumble signals home (and who doesn't want to have squirt/smell features in their home entertainment system??) and gaming chairs wouldn't have to suck at interpreting sound effects as action moments.

...Not all of these are great, lucrative ideas, I know. (Interoperability would be an obvious issue, and it'd add to the production time of home media so feature support would be limited.) Plus it's a lot of shit to nail up and hassle with. But if they thought about it now for the HDMI spec and they set it up right in the first place what to pass-through and not pass, then new ideas could come through the HDMI feed beyond the image and sound it currently provides.

Last edited:

radewagon

I have the Hue Syncbox for use with my panny 4k blu ray player....Switch and PS5. Works effing great and adds a lot to games. I'm in day one when they update the box to hdmi 2.1
I also have it. I don't really use it with my games, but I love it with movies.

CamHostage

Don't need to spend $200 on this nonsense.

Just get a cheap $10 LED strip put it on the back of the tv, less distracting anyway with all the color chaning.

Phillips seeing new prey dummies with too much money.

Look, you don't have to like this tech, it's not for everybody or even for all the time, but what you're describing is not at all the same thing as ambient video-based lighting.

Ambilight and Lytmi Fantasy read the video signal (and Govee uses a camera to watch the video image) so that it can create lighting effects based what's happening in realtime in the content. If a scene is out in the cold or in water, the lighting picks up the cool blues and icy white; if a scene is in a hot desert, it projects bright yellows. (Some systems might also use sound to play light hits when say a sudden gunshot goes off or lightning strikes.) This helps create mood, and also is supposed to be good for eye strain since your peripheral vision continues the viewing experience rather than you staring at a bright screen in the middle of darkness.

AdoredWhiteDegu-size_restricted.gif

Ambient lighting is an inexact, too-expensive, and kind of cheesy add-on that most people wouldn't bother with even if it was precise/affordable/trendy, but there are reasons why those who did buy these systems (or own a Philips TV) enjoy this particular augmentation of their home entertainment experience.

Last edited:

jaysius

Banned
It's an inexact, kind of cheesy, and too-expensive add-on that most people wouldn't bother with even if it was affordable and high-quality, but there are reasons why those who did buy these systems (or own a Philips TV) enjoy this particular sensation.
It's exactly what I said, this is a new market, and Phillips is charging idiots with too much money and no idea how to use it as much as they possibly can.

Laieon

This looks great, I might pick it up. A friend has some version of the phillips hue equivalent and I'm always blown away at how much more immersive it makes whatever is on feel. I looked into that one that has a camera clip on to your TV, but that just looks dumb.

I don't really care about VRR and I watch more movies these days than play games, and this is perfect for those.

Traxtech

Thanks man.

In the end, the Govee solution seems like the best bet since it works both with the TV's native apps AND it doesn't have any problems with VRR/120Hz etc - camera and lack of fast color synchronization be damned.
Well there goes my purchase, what's the point if you lose hdmi 2.1 features..

Makes no sense why vrr won't work if it supports 4k 120hz, maybe they've blocked it on the box end.

Last edited:

azertydu91

Hard to Kill
I got the Govee one as a gift and it works really well. The white balance is iffy sometimes, but otherwise it's been rock solid. I don't even notice the camera.
Yep I have been using it too even since the ability to change the white balance (everything appeared redish/pink) but now with low saturation and blueish white it looks great.
The only problem is that I chose the 55" pack and then upgraded to a 75" TV but my camera is put just above my universal ir remote box and it works really well, it is just slightly less luminous around the corners or my tv but is negligible.

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
I have Govee on my TV and it's know where near this, although I have the cheaper version. That said, how could I use this with AV receiver which is in my closet? Unless just in out just before the TV?
But even then I have my shield tv in the front of the room and my consoles in the closet, grrr.....

But I must say, best $100 I have ever spend on a peripheral, period. Maybe best $100 spent on any tech, ever. (adjusted for inflation)

Last edited:

Three

Lighting is one, be it either smartlight devices or a projector. The MS and Razer solutions projected from behind the player and thus got too complicated to sell, but I could actually see a future short-throw projector behind the TV working for most of these effects (provided short-throw could come down in price and the resolution didn't compromise the feed of the main video.)

I think the selling point of these ambilight setups is that it extends your TV immersion size at a relatively low cost. If you're going to have 3 short throw projectors behind a TV panel you might as well have a single 8K+ projector using your whole wall.

Top Bottom