• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anyone running a PC/Console through an HDMI 2.1 receivers? How has it been? I want to dump my eARC soundbar/

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
I posted this in another thread, but I figured I would repost so I can get some feedback from some if any of you have experience with a true HDMI 2.1 receiver such as the Onkyo TX-NR6050 which is currently on sale for $299 @ Adorama (or was when I bought it)

I was using an eARC LG soundbar with Atmos and DTS-X support through my C1 OLED. Unfortunately I got so sick and tired of the noticeable lag on my Xbox Series X (running it through the soundbar was NOT an option since I would have lose VRR and 4K120) so I decided to go back to a dedicated 5.1.2 setup and was waiting for the right sale.

I bought these 5.1.2. speakers for over half off, which will do just fine for my apartment: They actually review quite well for the $249 price and was absolutely too good to pass up at $90.

And this receiver for $299:

Now, I will run my PS5 and XSX through the receiver. Supposedly there is no audio delay on the XSX using Atmos when passed directly through the receiver. I also have the option to use DTS-X.

I've been using the Denon X1700H with no noticable lag. Got everything going through it, PS5, Series X, PC, Switch, Apple TV.
I gave up on the ARC from my Samsung TV, Never buying another Samsung TV again.

Edit-I've got an Atomos setup, 2 Front, 2 Surround, Center, Sub, 2 ceiling speakers. Atmos has worked with the Series X, I notice ships flying overhead with Starfield. PS5 also works though I've never played a PS5 game that uses my ceiling speakers that I could tell.

Last edited:

King Dazzar

For what its worth, I've always found any audio lag with Dolby Atmos to be mostly XSX side. Through various AVR's and HDMI switchers, I've never fully got rid of the delay compared to say, 7.1 uncompressed. Though at the moment the lag is very minor, its still there.

I had issues with eARC on my LG and Samsung TV's, but for some reason my Sony has been superb and very reliable. I use a Yamaha 2018 AVR at the moment, but mainly as an eARC option. I found using an AVR for all devices, caused some HDMI CEC issues. Whilst devices going direct into the TV was often more reliable. Clearly YMMV. Onkyo have good reviews, so hopefully you'll be fine. You may just end up tailoring your approach though. I currently use 2 x HDMI2.1 switchers (which are bullet proof), an AVR and a combination of eARC and direct to AVR. So if you do have issues, you could also use a switcher. Mine is also IR remote controlled too.

Last edited:

Shakka43

I have those exact set of MP speakers, they sound great particularly the subwoofer is a standout, the up firing speakers are not too convincing though, dedicated ceiling speakers would be a better option. Living in a apartment I have settled for the less neighbor disturbing setup.

I also have an LG C1 OLED and am suffering from audio latency issues when connecting my Samsung hw-n950 soundbar. Also connected via eArc. I'd be interested in the experiences of other users.

Last edited:
Denon AVC-4800h with a PS5 and until recently a Xbox SX running through it without problems. PC sound runs from the LG C1 to the receiver with e-arc again with no problems.

I have a PS5 running through a Denon AVR-X2700H with a Sony XBR-85X900H TV, the only problem I had was I had to use a non-certified HDMI cable from the receiver to the TV when I first got it because they didn't have a long enough certified one at that time which caused a few drop outs, but since then I have replaced all my cables with Monoprice certified HDMI 2.1 cables and everything works flawless, no lag or drops and the picture looks amazing, I also game at 120Hz on certain games and that works flawlessly as well. Below are the cables that I am using:

https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=42682

Last edited:

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
For what its worth, I've always found any audio lag with Dolby Atmos to be mostly XSX side. Through various AVR's and HDMI switchers, I've never fully got rid of the delay compared to say, 7.1 uncompressed. Though at the moment the lag is very minor, its still there.

I had issues with eARC on my LG and Samsung TV's, but for some reason my Sony has been superb and very reliable. I use a Yamaha 2018 AVR at the moment, but mainly as an eARC option. I found using an AVR for all devices, caused some HDMI CEC issues. Whilst devices going direct into the TV was often more reliable. Clearly YMMV. Onkyo have good reviews, so hopefully you'll be fine. You may just end up tailoring your approach though. I currently use 2 x HDMI2.1 switchers (which are bullet proof), an AVR and a combination of eARC and direct to AVR. So if you do have issues, you could also use a switcher. Mine is also IR remote controlled too.
I had been using Atmos on my XSX for years and never noticed the audio lag until I played Callisto Protocol. It was so obviously bad there.

Thankfully DTS:X is also an option. What’s funny is on my PC I have a separate soundbar and I use the 2nd HDMI port on my TUF 4090 as an audio out directly into my soundbar. I was running it through the TV and using eARC and Atmos had slight but noticeable lag. Now it seems great,

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
I have those exact set of MP speakers, they sound great particularly the subwoofer is a standout, the up firing speakers are not too convincing though, dedicated ceiling speakers would be a better option. Living in an apartment I have settled for the less neighbor disturbing setup.
Celing speakers will never happen. I do wonder if I were to add a flat surface to the ceiling if it would give a better sound reflection. I’ll be able to sell my LG soundbar and probably get $300 for it.

Dural

As long as your cables are up to snuff you'll be fine.

eARC sucks. My Sony X900F that is used for everyday TV watching and streaming restarts almost daily with an AppleTV connected through eARC to an LG sound bar. Did the same thing with a Google TV device. No eARC and it doesn't restart. I recently bought a 75" 144hz tv for gaming and have that going to my receiver with an optical cable, my receiver doesn't support HDMI 2.1 and I don't feel like upgrading just for that as it works great otherwise.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
As long as your cables are up to snuff you'll be fine.

eARC sucks. My Sony X900F that is used for everyday TV watching and streaming restarts almost daily with an AppleTV connected through eARC to an LG sound bar. Did the same thing with a Google TV device. No eARC and it doesn't restart. I recently bought a 75" 144hz tv for gaming and have that going to my receiver with an optical cable, my receiver doesn't support HDMI 2.1 and I don't feel like upgrading just for that as it works great otherwise.
Personally, I wouldn't object to TVs using a special propietary cable to connect to the soundbar instead of using HDMI, especially since Sony in their infinite wisdom force you to use up and HDMI 2.1 port. Keep the option for eARC available by all means, but I'd love to have all my HDMI ports free on my TV and a separate cable that is all soundbar.

But oh well, my new receiver only has 3 HDMI 2.1 ports, which is fine since I will use 1 for PC (and only when my system is in the living room), 1 for PS5 and 1 for XSX.

phaedrus

I also have an LG C1 OLED and am suffering from audio latency issues when connecting my Samsung hw-n950 soundbar. Also connected via eArc. I'd be interested in the experiences of other users.
You sure your C1 is passing lossless/Atmos audio to your soundbar? I have the N950 too, it's a 2019 model that only does Arc, not eArc.
I recently upgraded to the Q990B for the eArc. (A bit disappointing that its sound quality playing music isn't as good as the N950)

Last edited:

Indyblue

I have an LG C2 and a denon 760h. It all works great. No lag. I currently have it all going into my C2 and earc to my receiver because cec was being a bitch when I hooked up through the receiver. Even through earc tho, I don’t get atmos lag with my ps5, Xbox, or Apple TV.

King Dazzar

Personally, I wouldn't object to TVs using a special propietary cable to connect to the soundbar instead of using HDMI, especially since Sony in their infinite wisdom force you to use up and HDMI 2.1 port. Keep the option for eARC available by all means, but I'd love to have all my HDMI ports free on my TV and a separate cable that is all soundbar.

But oh well, my new receiver only has 3 HDMI 2.1 ports, which is fine since I will use 1 for PC (and only when my system is in the living room), 1 for PS5 and 1 for XSX.
If you need more flexibility in the future. Here is the HDMI switcher I use which allows 4 inputs. It works brilliantly with both my PS5 and XSX HDMI 2.1 , including VRR, 4k 120hz HDR and ALLM.
8k HDMI Switcher

Garibaldi

I have an LG C2 and a denon 760h. It all works great. No lag. I currently have it all going into my C2 and earc to my receiver because cec was being a bitch when I hooked up through the receiver. Even through earc tho, I don’t get atmos lag with my ps5, Xbox, or Apple TV.
I ended up knocking the whole CEC stuff on the head. I use a Logitech Harmony Elite with a bunch of activities to start and stop all my stuff (Watch TV, Watch Blu-ray, Play PlayStation etc). Works with Alexa too for voice activation and shutdown

I ended up knocking the whole CEC stuff on the head. I use a Logitech Harmony Elite with a bunch of activities to start and stop all my stuff (Watch TV, Watch Blu-ray, Play PlayStation etc). Works with Alexa too for voice activation and shutdown
The Apple TV is what broke me to turn off all the CEC stuff. Apple wanted to switch to it's input like nothing else in the world exists. Want to Play PS5? Well you get to look at PS5 for a few seconds and now your back to Apple TV input.
I just turned that CEC stuff off and use my Harmony Elite that has served me well for years. When that remote dies I'll have to search for something to replace it.

King Dazzar

The Apple TV is what broke me to turn off all the CEC stuff. Apple wanted to switch to it's input like nothing else in the world exists. Want to Play PS5? Well you get to look at PS5 for a few seconds and now your back to Apple TV input.
I just turned that CEC stuff off and use my Harmony Elite that has served me well for years. When that remote dies I'll have to search for something to replace it.
I use a combination of Logitech Harmony, CEC and Alexa. The Fire TV Cube gen 3 is excellent for doing the vast majority of control now. You can put in quite sophisticated routines. I've been slowly moving that way, knowing Harmony wont last forever. I only use CEC for the Cube and AVR to communicate with the TV. That's it.

I've been running my home theater through a Denon X3800H. Like all receivers which support true HDMI bypass or pass-through, there is no way to add lag at the receiver step in the output chain because the video signal is passed untouched. After that, it's up to your TV to display the image with as little lag as possible.

People hate eARC because everyone implements it differently and like all the rest of HDMI it's buggy as shit. I refuse to use eARC in my home theater setup and that saves me tons of headaches that I've seen people have to put up with if they use it.

Do yourself a favor and buy certified HDMI cables for use with 4K/120 output setups. They aren't that much more expensive than non-certified ones and you'll thank yourself later when shit just works and you aren't troubleshooting for hours why something works most of the time but then randomly fucks up.

Last edited:

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
I've been running my home theater through a Denon X3800H. Like all receivers which support true HDMI bypass or pass-through, there is no way to add lag at the receiver step in the output chain because the video signal is passed untouched. After that, it's up to your TV to display the image with as little lag as possible.

People hate eARC because everyone implements it differently and like all the rest of HDMI it's buggy as shit. I refuse to use eARC in my home theater setup and that saves me tons of headaches that I've seen people have to put up with if they use it.

Do yourself a favor and buy certified HDMI cables for use with 4K/120 output setups. They aren't that much more expensive than non-certified ones and you'll thank yourself later when shit just works and you aren't troubleshooting for hours why something works most of the time but then randomly fucks up.
I've only ever bought certified HDMI cables.

flying_sq

I have an HDMI 2.0 Onkyo, I forget which model, but one of the last from their high end. I have pretty bad lag, not using ear, but tbh, might be my old plasma.

You sure your C1 is passing lossless/Atmos audio to your soundbar? I have the N950 too, it's a 2019 model that only does Arc, not eArc.
I recently upgraded to the Q990B for the eArc. (A bit disappointing that its sound quality playing music isn't as good as the N950)

Yeah, the N950 is limited but does support Atmos via ARC under certain specific conditions...

On the C1, eARC must be switched on and audio signal format input should be set to bitstream.

When I run the audio test on the Series X, Dolby Atmos for Home Theater (HDMI only) (ready to use) is detected. Atmos is detected and switches on visibly via the soundbar display when I load an Atmos supporting game.

azertydu91

Hard to Kill
If you need more flexibility in the future. Here is the HDMI switcher I use which allows 4 inputs. It works brilliantly with both my PS5 and XSX HDMI 2.1 , including VRR, 4k 120hz HDR and ALLM.
8k HDMI Switcher
Hey I think I use the same one.The only possible inconvenience is that sometimes I experience some black data mashing but since it's only on my pc and on chrome it might not be related to the switch.Otherwise no delay and every 2.1 features.

King Dazzar

Hey I think I use the same one.The only possible inconvenience is that sometimes I experience some black data mashing but since it's only on my pc and on chrome it might not be related to the switch.Otherwise no delay and every 2.1 features.
Good bit of kit. I use two. One for my PC's and another one for my consoles. Not sure what you mean by black data mashing - but I've not had any picture related issues at all. The only issue I ever had, was if using CEC, things might get confused as the TV wants to only see one device there. Aside from that its been perfect for me and actually switches between devices quicker than my AVR. I have another Denon one, but it would cause very occasional signal loss, if switching VRR on and off whilst also switching between console. For me the ezco one's have been brilliant for the past year plus.

azertydu91

Hard to Kill
Good bit of kit. I use two. One for my PC's and another one for my consoles. Not sure what you mean by black data mashing - but I've not had any picture related issues at all. The only issue I ever had, was if using CEC, things might get confused as the TV wants to only see one device there. Aside from that its been perfect for me and actually switches between devices quicker than my AVR. I have another Denon one, but it would cause very occasional signal loss, if switching VRR on and off whilst also switching between console. For me the ezco one's have been brilliant for the past year plus.
datamosh.jpg

This on a small part of the screen (never the same) but in black.
Oh yeah I deactivated the CEC on some of my equipment, it was messing with my eArc settings now it's all flawless and all voice activated if needed.

SScorpio

For all the people with ARC issues. I recently resolved mine with an HDMI 2.1 Audio Extractor. A full HDMI 2.1 4K 120Hz VRR goes to the TV, and an audio only goes to my soundbar's HDMI-in. The audio support is pulled from the audio out port via HDMI-CEC. But HDMI-CEC signals don't go from the TV to the soundbar so I don't have volume support with the TV remote.

Before doing this I was using eARC as the soundbar is HDMI 2.0, not 2.1, I'd get audio dropouts every 20 minutes or so. And having things identified and working after power on wasn't a given. Now everything just happily works.

This is what I ended up getting, there are non-switch versions. I have a PC, PS5, and XSX and a single HDMI 2.1 on the TV. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CDGZSB71/?tag=neogaf0e-20

King Dazzar

datamosh.jpg

This on a small part of the screen (never the same) but in black.
Oh yeah I deactivated the CEC on some of my equipment, it was messing with my eArc settings now it's all flawless and all voice activated if needed.
Ah right. I can get a tiny bit of something like (looks like visual static) that if the PS5 switches between VRR and non VRR, for a fraction of a second and even then its rare. But I'm pretty certain its the TV, rather than the switch. My Sony panel's VRR implementation is clunky compared to the likes of LG.

Last edited:

ShakenG

Have had zero issues with eARC, infact i was kinda surprised it ran so flawlessly.
Only thing i had to change was passthrough on the Teli.

Last edited:

azertydu91

Hard to Kill
Ah right. I can get a tiny bit of something like (looks like visual static) that if the PS5 switches between VRR and non VRR, for a fraction of a second and even then its rare. But I'm pretty certain its the TV, rather than the switch. My Sony panel's VRR implementation is clunky compared to the likes of LG.
Mine's only happens on chrome but after reading you, I suspect the hdr which is fishy with windows and moreso with chrome sometimes(like some page getting ultrabright or fucking up the colors).

King Dazzar

Mine's only happens on chrome but after reading you, I suspect the hdr which is fishy with windows and moreso with chrome sometimes(like some page getting ultrabright or fucking up the colors).
So, if it helps. My PC has been used at 8k 60fps 420 and also 4k 120fps 444 via the switch and is only used as a media PC. With chrome being my browser and I've had zero issues. May help you narrow it down.

azertydu91

Hard to Kill
So, if it helps. My PC has been used at 8k 60fps 420 and also 4k 120fps 444 via the switch and is only used as a media PC. With chrome being my browser and I've had zero issues. May help you narrow it down.
Oh no the switch is low on my suspect list, windows and chrome were already acting funky sometimes even before I got it.But you know how windows can be weird for some and not others.But there's still a possibility even though it has never occured on my ps5 so I'd go with windows or even the hdmi cable with a slight handshaking problem.But honestly it happens barely ever and only for a few frames so it is not big deal.
Overall I'm very satisfied with it, I'd say my only problem is the slight delay between changing sources but again I mostly use voice commands so that explains it.VRR works great with it as well as hdr, now I just have to fix some weird yellow spot on my TV but I moved out a year ago and I guess the TV got damaged a bit.

King Dazzar

Oh no the switch is low on my suspect list, windows and chrome were already acting funky sometimes even before I got it.But you know how windows can be weird for some and not others.But there's still a possibility even though it has never occured on my ps5 so I'd go with windows or even the hdmi cable with a slight handshaking problem.But honestly it happens barely ever and only for a few frames so it is not big deal.
Overall I'm very satisfied with it, I'd say my only problem is the slight delay between changing sources but again I mostly use voice commands so that explains it.VRR works great with it as well as hdr, now I just have to fix some weird yellow spot on my TV but I moved out a year ago and I guess the TV got damaged a bit.
Yeah you'll always get a switching delay on any switching device. I believe its likely due to it re-establishing the HDMI handshake. But the switch for me is actually quicker than any of my AVR's. I'm voice controlling mine too.

Do bear in mind, certain GPU's dont play nicely with certain TV HDMI inputs. Sony has had its quirks for sure.

azertydu91

Hard to Kill
Yeah you'll always get a switching delay on any switching device. I believe its likely due to it re-establishing the HDMI handshake. But the switch for me is actually quicker than any of my AVR's. I'm voice controlling mine too.

Do bear in mind, certain GPU's dont play nicely with certain TV HDMI inputs. Sony has had its quirks for sure.
Now that you say it , it is indeed quicker than my AVR was.

phaedrus

Yeah, the N950 is limited but does support Atmos via ARC under certain specific conditions...

On the C1, eARC must be switched on and audio signal format input should be set to bitstream.

When I run the audio test on the Series X, Dolby Atmos for Home Theater (HDMI only) (ready to use) is detected. Atmos is detected and switches on visibly via the soundbar display when I load an Atmos supporting game.
Thanks.
So turns out there's a version of Atmos that uses the lossy DD+ codec instead of TrueHD codec.
That's why you're still able to get Atmos with ARC on the N950.

How did I not know this earlier 😂.

Last edited:

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
've got this hooked up and WOW.....just wow.

It accomplished everything I wanted and more.
1. So far, no handshake issues between XSX/PS5/PC and the receiver. I got full VRR/HDR/120 through the receiver with no noticeable lag or side effects. This would be the biggest question. I ran my 4090/7800X3D through the receiver and played several games for several hours. I played Alan Wake 2 and Doom Eternal. I noticed no lag/visual issues of any kind. One of the big fears of HDMI 2.1 receivers was that they would introduce input lag.
2. By running my XSX through the receiver and using DTS:X for spatial audio, I completely eliminated any noticeable audio delays. Dolby Atmos still had a slight delay though, it's clear that there is just a bug in there somewhere with Atmos and XSX. The scene that I test is the beginning of the Callisto Protocol where a conversation in a cockpit is taking place. On previous setup with soundbar and eARC, the Atmos audio delay was VERY noticeable in that scene.
3. Last but not least, it just sounds awesome. It completely blows away my previous setup using the high end LG soundbar with rear speakers. Spatial effects were awesome. For under $400 ($300 receiver + $100 5.1.2 speakers) I feel like I straight up stole this stuff. The 5.1.2 speakers for $80 (normally $250) feel like highway robbery.

I'll post pics of the setup later.

Last edited:

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
For all the people with ARC issues. I recently resolved mine with an HDMI 2.1 Audio Extractor. A full HDMI 2.1 4K 120Hz VRR goes to the TV, and an audio only goes to my soundbar's HDMI-in. The audio support is pulled from the audio out port via HDMI-CEC. But HDMI-CEC signals don't go from the TV to the soundbar so I don't have volume support with the TV remote.

Before doing this I was using eARC as the soundbar is HDMI 2.0, not 2.1, I'd get audio dropouts every 20 minutes or so. And having things identified and working after power on wasn't a given. Now everything just happily works.

This is what I ended up getting, there are non-switch versions. I have a PC, PS5, and XSX and a single HDMI 2.1 on the TV. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CDGZSB71/?tag=neogaf0e-20
What's funny is that I just used the 2nd HDMI out port on my GPU and ran it directly into the soundbar. Asus 4000 (I the TUF 4090) series GPUs are one of the few high end GPUs that have two HDMI outs. The downside is that the PC still reads it as a video signal. I wish nvidia had a way to disable the video so that it's audio only (you can do vice versa). Although, I bet I could use my motherboard HDMI (AMD iGPU) port to do this as well if I had a GPU with only one HDMI port.

Personally I wish they had more soundbars with multiple HDMI 2.1 inputs.

Last edited:

flying_sq

not sure about low end plasms, good ones had 16-40ms (game mode).

anyway, eARC sucks.
decent enough idea, but poor execution.

and sound bars suck too.

looks like youve got it all hooked up now JohnnyFootball JohnnyFootball . enjoy.
best part is you can upgrade everything eventually too.
I have a last gen high end Panasonic, I've never used game mode on it, had it calibrated for movies. Might try it today.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
not sure about low end plasms, good ones had 16-40ms (game mode).

anyway, eARC sucks.
decent enough idea, but poor execution.

and sound bars suck too.

looks like youve got it all hooked up now JohnnyFootball JohnnyFootball . enjoy.
best part is you can upgrade everything eventually too.
It only has 3 HDMI 2.1 ports, which works just fine for PC, XSX and PS5, but if Nintendo goes HDMI 2.1 then I'll have issues. I don't expect Nintendo will go anywhere near 4K/120 though.

SScorpio

It only has 3 HDMI 2.1 ports, which works just fine for PC, XSX and PS5, but if Nintendo goes HDMI 2.1 then I'll have issues. I don't expect Nintendo will go anywhere near 4K/120 though.
With DLSS and frame generation, anything is possible. The PS5 uses 120hz to output 40 fps due to lack of VRR. We'll see what the Switch 2 does.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Update: was playing a very heavy scene in Spider-Man 2, that caused the receiver to lose signal and I got an error message on the PS5. Receiver lost its signal but got it back. Annoying but I hop3 this won’t b3 a common issu3e

Top Bottom