• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ps5 chipset limited you 32gbps over HDMI 2.1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Great Hair

Banned
Microsoft recommends to play at 4K60 with no VRR anyway ... as there are currently some issue with VRR (not sure if fixed yet).

Matt from the other site said this will be updated.

jIu0QA7.png

jIu0QA7.png

He then said all he was told was that the chipset was HDMi 2.1 and he hoped it would be updated. He doesnt know anything.

Inviusx

4k in the context of this thread means 2160p.

Just because it's scaling to 4k doesn't mean it's 2160p at 120hz. That's the difference and that's why the higher bandwidth is required.

No game exists on these new consoles that offers 2160p at 120hz with full 4:4:4 RGB HDR.

longdi

Banned
im loss with so many hdmi specs

so can i say Sony cheaps out on the hdmi soc, and ps5 is hardware locked from full hdmi2.1 performance?

Reallink

98%+ people have already been viewing 4:2:2 (including on Series X) and will continue to do so unless they're running their TV in the (usually semi-hidden) PC mode. Virtually all TV's will convert RGB or 4:4:4 into 4:2:2 when outside of PC mode. Even if this proves to be a hardware limit (it's most likely just an early firmware limit), it's a non issue outside of test patterns or desktop use.

Last edited:

Kerotan

Is there any reason why Sony and MS are not offering full 48gb/s out the gate and instead later? What is the benefit of patching it in. Do they have to pay HDMI increased royalty fees?

ShirAhava

Plays with kids toys, in the adult gaming world
Its almost like the PS5 is just a PS4 PRO+, a crossgen stopgap system and by the time things get serious the PS5 Pro aka the real PS5 will be out

More money for sony I guess seems like a real racket for 500 quid but its nice for the kids and the poors

I live in the adult gaming world with things like displayport and DLSS so its not my problem I suppose

Jigga117

I was reading a bit more about hat.

PS5 can output in 4k120 HDR... so if the HDR is 4:4:4 or 10bits already debunk the OP video.

if it is capped it isn’t outputting with 444 HDR because it has to be 40.1Gbps for that. It will do 4k@120 without it at 32Gbps

Last edited:
And VRR?

They have a 48gbps spec in the x900h, and they were hocking that TV alongside the PS5 working closely together with their other divisions. I would be shocked if it weren’t a matching setup.
You picked a very bad example. The Sony XH900 X90H has terrible 120hz performance. The picture is very blury which suggests the TV is nowhere near 48gb bandwidth either. Sony said it will not be fixed. I'm happy I have held off buying both.

Reallink

Is there any reason why Sony and MS are not offering full 48gb/s out the gate and instead later? What is the benefit of patching it in. Do they have to pay HDMI increased royalty fees?

Price and availability of the actual HDMI chipsets. The jump from 40 to 48Gbps only adds 2 bits (i.e. 4K/120 RGB 10bit becomes 4K/120 RGB 12bit). AFAIK no current TV's have 12 bit panels, so it's basically just a future proof paper spec. MS's 40Gbps cap is likely a hardware limit which can't be patched in. Sony's 32Gbps is more likely to be a software limit. Ultimately neither one matters, almost everyone is going to be running in 4K/120 4:2:2 10bit.

Jigga117

On 2019/2020 OLEDs this is what you should see when it is set to 4k@120hdr. I have my Series X on my 77/55 C9s set with RGB

Dashboard is in SDR 10BIT
U85Az1y.jpg

Game is HDR along with the PHY showing the bandwidth is locked in.
ine3Mc0.jpg

t723wyc.jpg

MrFunSocks

Banned
Microsoft recommends to play at 4K60 with no VRR anyway ... as there are currently some issue with VRR (not sure if fixed yet).

They don’t “recommend” that at all lol. That’s one way to spread FUD I guess.

Telling people how to try and fix possible problems with some TVs and 120hz is in no way the same as recommending you only use 60hz lol. Quit the bullshit.

MrFunSocks

Banned
He then said all he was told was that the chipset was HDMi 2.1 and he hoped it would be updated. He doesnt know anything.
Console manufacturers don’t usually tell the community manager at a third party dev studio about hdmi specs and firmware updates.

4k in the context of this thread means 2160p.

Just because it's scaling to 4k doesn't mean it's 2160p at 120hz. That's the difference and that's why the higher bandwidth is required.

No game exists on these new consoles that offers 2160p at 120hz with full 4:4:4 RGB HDR.
Ori and the Will of the Wisps says hi.

Last edited:

Jigga117

as far LG 2020 models the beta was already out and about to release the official firmware that fixes the issue with VRR/120. Also if anyone sets their LG OLEDs HDMI port to PC mode, make sure to turn Live plus off to stop flickering issues

Elios83

In this thread some people are sooo looking for console war ammos and they don't even know the difference between chroma subsampling, full RGB color and 4K 120Hz.
This is just a firmware limit in the chroma subsampling output that will be fixed. It has nothing to do with 120fps. It's obvious that right now PS5 has limited video output options in the firmware, they will be added with upgrades, 8K and VRR are coming, they're considering 1440p as well.

Elias

jIu0QA7.png
He said the same thing about Quick resume, and we all know how that turned out.

Jigga117

You need the 48gb for 8k
No you don’t. You need 48Gbps for 4k@120hz 444 12bit.

32Gbps can do 4k@120hz 8.10 and 12bit. It also can do 8k@30. Not at 444

40.1Gbps is needed for 4k@120hz 444 10bit HDR and 8k@60which is what all TVs on the market are for the panels.

Last edited:

Jigga117

He said the same thing about Quick resume, and we all know how that turned out.
Quick resume and bandwidth requirements for HDMI are not remotely relative. The video proves what we can see when he uses a CX to test it. It can be updated

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom