• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS5 7.00 update will allow streaming of PS5 games and Discord integration

Unknown?

Use Chikai
Bull fucking shit. If it wasn't for Cloud Gaming on GP I wouldn't have played anything except for Switch games for the last three months of last year. Sony used to have a Mac app for PS Now that they killed when it became PS+. Now you can just stream on their PC app or the console, which is bullshit. They need to allow streaming on any device for what they're charging for Premium, especially since they're not really adding anything worthwhile to the classic games catalog.

Oh, I completely agree with you there. It's complementary to native gaming. Not a replacement. And again, folks like Phil Spencer have said as much. It's not intended to be a replacement. It's intended to be a way to bring your games on the go, or to preview games without having to download them first, or to play new games on your old consoles (like cloud gaming Xbox Series games on an old Xbox One).

Funny you mention the preview function because that's still not available with xCloud, to my knowledge. But the examples you're bringing, while useful, are more ecosystem QoL bonuses. I'm talking about it being useful in terms of enabling offloading of actual game logic (physics, AI, graphics etc.) from the local machine and calculating that in the cloud while streaming the results in real-time to the local machine running the rest of the game natively.

In that regard, we've seen very little of it in action from Microsoft, outside of Flight Simulator.

It's nice for me to start, say, Deathloop via Series X on my TV, but grab my mobile device and continue playing when my wife wants to take over the TV, and then move back to the TV again once it's freed up. It's never as good as native but it's a nice complementary solution.

I admit, that's a nice QoL feature to have access to. It's not necessarily something MS pioneered first (Sony had this with Remote Play for PS3 & PS4, the Wii U basically simulated this albeit with limitations), but it's nice to see them have it available for their current consoles.

And yeah, I'm definitely very interested to see how cloud technology plays a role in future natively rendered games ala Flight Simulator. Definitely potential for some really interesting stuff.

Yeah, it's one of the reason I'm interested in Kojima's game for Microsoft. Maybe they can do something novel with cloud streaming we haven't seen from a lot of other developers so far. But that game is a ways out.

analog_future

Resident Crybaby
Funny you mention the preview function because that's still not available with xCloud, to my knowledge. But the examples you're bringing, while useful, are more ecosystem QoL bonuses. I'm talking about it being useful in terms of enabling offloading of actual game logic (physics, AI, graphics etc.) from the local machine and calculating that in the cloud while streaming the results in real-time to the local machine running the rest of the game natively.

In that regard, we've seen very little of it in action from Microsoft, outside of Flight Simulator.

I admit, that's a nice QoL feature to have access to. It's not necessarily something MS pioneered first (Sony had this with Remote Play for PS3 & PS4, the Wii U basically simulated this albeit with limitations), but it's nice to see them have it available for their current consoles.

Yeah, it's one of the reason I'm interested in Kojima's game for Microsoft. Maybe they can do something novel with cloud streaming we haven't seen from a lot of other developers so far. But that game is a ways out.

The preview function has been available on xCloud for like a year. I use it all the time.

Clintizzle

Lord of Edge.
The discord part can't come soon enough. I have the PS5 pulse Headset which doesn't have bluetooth (wtf Sony) so not having to use my phone separately will be a relief.

Raonak

Banned
PS5 streaming is gonna be useful when you don't want to download a game. Or are waiting for it to download/install.

FritzJ92

Nah it remains trash on every platform.

I dont know why anyone would settle for a markedly inferior experience when they own good gaming hardware.

Tea Gossip GIF
Because we are not home. I think there is a use for streaming, it just wont ever replace local hardware.

xrnzaaas

Streaming only interests me for PS3 games... but even in this case not enough to pay for the top tier to play a few of them. Discord intergation - nope, I already have discord on my phone and it's enough to keep up with the channels I visit.

FeldMonster

Wish I could cloud stream my physical games. So I could use remote play to play multiple physical games without changing discs.
What you are looking for exists. They are called "digital games".

You expect the cloud to magically levitate games off your shelf and insert them into your console???

The ability to switch games easily is one the main reasons that many of us prefer digital games.

Top Bottom