• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

so the PS5 Pro is confirmed right?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kyliethicc

Tom Henderson accurately reported the Sony Project Q remote play device and the wireless earbuds.

His article had the Q’s name, 8“ 1080p LCD, design, and release window. No shot he’s making this shit up. He has accurately reported numerous other bits of Sony info like PS5 firmware updates (detailing when discord integration would be out, etc.) He also has said there is an updated PS5 coming in September with a detachable disc drive.

And so with Henderson reporting there is a PS5 Pro coming late 2024, I now believe him.

He has added that he has the Pro specs but can’t reveal them yet because it would reveal his source to Sony due to only a limited group of devs having Pro dev kits at the moment. So we should see those leak out once enough 3rd parties get dev kits later this year, per his report.

the Q leak

the official reveal

wZX2Up4.jpg

Last edited:

icerock

That guy is a douchebag like most people on Twitter chasing for clout but he has a solid track record when it comes to PlayStation hardware.

Thing is, todays showcase was so terribly bad that I am intrigued how they try and sell this Pro model to the public. Best looking games on PS5 came out in 2021 and 2022, what exactly is the point of buying a newer/powerful model?

Seems that way, ugh, not a fan of this shit. I think it made more sense with PS4 and XB1 because 4k displays became the standard. This thing is going to be fucking massive and the PS5 is already too damn big lol.
I can only assume that this will basically be a digital console with the detachable disc drive as an option.

Last edited:

Neo_game

He did say about detachable PS5 model coming later this year. Let us see if it also comes true. lol.

Though predicting Pro console for Fall 2024 is not difficult. It will be impressive if he can actualy leak the specs, not some generic 2x RT or 2x GPU power.

Rykan

No, it is not confirmed.

Here's the situation: Sony has undoubtedly developed and designed a PS5 Pro model. They had to do so in order to be prepared in case Microsoft releases a superior Series console. Microsoft is in a similar position, having a more powerful console designed in case Sony launches a PS5 Pro model. You can't afford to wait and start development when your competitor announces a "pro" system. So yes, in that sense, the PS5 Pro is real. However, that doesn't necessarily mean there are concrete plans to release it if they don't deem it necessary.

The same arguments against a PS5 Pro still hold true: There's no distinctive marketing hook, and any graphical improvement is likely to be relatively minor. It's challenging to find accurate data on the number of PS4 units sold that were PS4 Pros, but from what I could gather, it's as low as 1 in every 5 PS4s. The PS4 Pro had the advantage of releasing in an optimal environment: a new 4K-capable console for consumers with new 4K TVs. The PS5 Pro won't have the same luxury, so its sales will likely be lower than those of the PS4 Pro.

That's not to say that it can't happen: Just that it's not confirmed.

Last edited:
Here's the situation: Sony has undoubtedly developed and designed a PS5 Pro model. They had to do so in order to be prepared in case Microsoft releases a superior Series console. Microsoft is in a similar position, having a more powerful console designed in case Sony launches a PS5 Pro model. You can't afford to wait and start development when your competitor announces a "pro" system. So yes, in that sense, the PS5 Pro is real. However, that doesn't necessarily mean there are concrete plans to release it if they don't deem it necessary.
So you’re saying either company would turn down the opportunity to become the undisputed hardware power leader if the other doesn’t launch a Pro console. Ok.

Södy

So he can't say the specs, because it would reveal the source. Has each the dev kit different specs? Otherwise, with just saying he has the specs he already revealed one of the few devs would be his source.

Last edited:

ThisIsMyDog

I don’t get it though. There have been zero games that take full advantage of the ps5. Why one Earth would anyone buy a pro? At least with ps4 pro there was a clear reason to upgrade.
There is also a second option to this conspiracy theory, what we have now is the actual peak of the PS5's capabilities.

Xyphie

People are going to be in for a rough surprise when they realize that the games we're getting now (even when cross-gen) have roughly the visual fidelity you can expect from a PS5-class GPU and there's not going to be a magical moment when the true power of the PS5 is unleashed and we'll get magical games which look 5x better than we're getting now. You want higher frame rates and resolution, raytracing etc? You're going to need faster hardware.

Last edited:

Banjo64

cumsessed
I mean, yeah he undoubtedly has a legitimate high up source. All the specs right, plus that ridiculous render which has needed up being the actual final design.

ToTTenTranz

Banned
Here's the situation: Sony has undoubtedly developed and designed a PS5 Pro model. They had to do so in order to be prepared in case Microsoft releases a superior Series console.

Sony doesn't really develop consoles as a reaction to whatever Microsoft does or ceases to do, which is why they didn't enter a TFLOPs spec war with the PS4 Pro v. OneX, or the PS5 v. SeriesX.

The PS4 Pro was developed as a way to extend the number of years of that generation while preventing further migration from console to PC, like what happened during the PS3 era.
The PS5 Pro won't be any different.

Rykan

Sony doesn't really develop consoles as a reaction to whatever Microsoft does or ceases to do, which is why they didn't enter a TFLOPs spec war with the PS4 Pro v. OneX, or the PS5 v. SeriesX.

The PS4 Pro was developed as a way to extend the number of years of that generation while preventing further migration from console to PC, like what happened during the PS3 era.
The PS5 Pro won't be any different.
They couldn't do a tflops war, because the PS4 pro was released before the Xbox one X was.

Why wouldn't they have a console ready in case they need to react? They reacted to Xbox Live with PSN, which are now almost identical. They reacted to game pass with Playstation Plus.

Responding and not getting caught off guard is an industry standard.

The PS4 pro was developed to take advantage of 4k tvs that became popular at the time. This mass migration from console to PC that you speak of, is not something that exists nor is it something that is taken into consideration.

At no point has any substantial amount of console players moved from console to pc.That's not something that happened during the PS3 era either. In fact, that era was actually a low point for PC gaming before it er...picked up steam again.

Last edited:

StueyDuck

Fuck the leaker clouters. Ruining the whole industry
Hardware leaks are totally fine... gives time to prepare for an unnecessarily hefty price tag.

I only take Umbrage against the fatty doo doo Twitter clout chasing leaks that ruin a big reveal like a week before it happens.

And even then that only happens if you follow and interact with those types

Last edited:
Reactions: Dis

UnNamed

Banned
He has added that he has the Pro specs but can’t reveal them yet because it would reveal his source to Sony due to only a limited group of devs having Pro dev kits at the moment.

Oh, how unfortunate.

Also my aunt at Nintendo has given me the specs for the new system, but I can't reveal it because, you know, sources...

TrebleShot

I need this now, but only to play whats out now at 4k/60 there isnt much out there announced showing us impressive stuff.

Skifi28

I don’t get it though. There have been zero games that take full advantage of the ps5. Why one Earth would anyone buy a pro? At least with ps4 pro there was a clear reason to upgrade.
The future in amazing looking games is Ray Tracing, something the current RDNA2 GPUs suck at. There is no secret sauce for that, unless you are fine with future games being 1080p at 30fps. I'll take the pro, thank you very much.

Skifi28

name a game in 2016 that took full advantage of the PS4
All games took full advantage of the PS4, it's not like they left 50% of the GPU idling back in 2016. What you're probably asking is why games kept looking better and better. That had little to do with the actual PS4 hardware and was mostly down to developers becoming more proficient using their engines as well as advanced rasterization techniques. The thing is, not much has changed in that space since then, which is why you see 2020 launch games still being some of the best looking on the platform three years later which is unprecedented. There is no "taking full advantage of the PS5". It's already being used to the fullest. There will be upgrades like always, but incremental. A true generational leap would be full Ray Tracing which the current hardware just can't do. We need a pro model with over twice the RT performance plus built-in upscaling techniques for that.

mrmustard

Banned
I said it before, there is 100% a PS5 Pro, just for the reason that MS could make a Series X Pro (and vice versa). The only chance we won't see midgen upgrades is that the two made a deal and i have a feeling their relation is not that good lately.

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
Tom Henderson accurately reported the Sony Project Q remote play device and the wireless earbuds.

His article had the Q’s name, 8“ 1080p LCD, design, and release window. No shot he’s making this shit up. He has accurately reported numerous other bits of Sony info like PS5 firmware updates (detailing when discord integration would be out, etc.) He also has said there is an updated PS5 coming in September with a detachable disc drive.

And so with Henderson reporting there is a PS5 Pro coming late 2024, I now believe him.

He has added that he has the Pro specs but can’t reveal them yet because it would reveal his source to Sony due to only a limited group of devs having Pro dev kits at the moment. So we should see those leak out once enough 3rd parties get dev kits later this year, per his report.

the Q leak

the official reveal

wZX2Up4.jpg

Project Q is a fcking monster... too ugly

Knightime_X

Really wish these companies would be more transparent about hardware releases.
Announce the pro along side the base model. Even if years away from release.

Stop with this shaddy bs to get you to buy the same thing twice.

Last edited:

Skifi28

Really wish these companies would be more transparent about hardware releases.
Announce the pro along side the base model. Even if years away from release.

Stop with this shaddy bs to get you to buy the same thing twice.
There's nothing shady about it. Hardware that releases 4 years later might not even be in the planning stages at that point. It's like expecting nvidia to announce the 7090 when releasing the 4090, it's silly.

Knightime_X

There's nothing shady about it. Hardware that releases 4 years later might not even be in the planning stages at that point. It's like expecting nvidia to announce the 7090 when releasing the 4090, it's silly.
But you KNOW with every series there will be a ti variant.
Ie 4080 and 4080 ti. Etc.

Just do the same with consoles and be consistent.
Ps6 7 8 9 ... all with a pro model.

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
I'm curious if the PS5 Pro will be able to beat a 4090 in terms of graphics power.
This is hilarious. The rumored specs currently are around 1.5 times the power of a PS5. In other words, nowhere near a 4090.

Doesn’t the PS5 essentially have what amounts to the equivalent of a 2060 to begin with?

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
I don't understand so many people's love of horsepower at this time. It's not the 90's anymore. It takes a huge leap to even notice the smallest graphical improvement. And yet it seems like the further we go into this sort graphical inertia, the more obsessed people get.

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
That's capitalism. I don't like it either, but until we stop supporting a system that legally encourages greed, this is how it will be.
I just think they would want a game to release to show off the new system. Spider-Man would have made a sense, but that's got a standard special edition console coming out this fall. I just don't see how they just drop this the next month. Seems more likely they will wait until 2025 when one of their other big titles drop.

Justin9mm

My big question is that, if there is a Pro releasing, will the premium cost still come with a disc drive or will you still have to buy the detachable disc drive. I'm also thinking they are going to be smarter with pricing considering demand and charge a lot more for the Pro. I wouldn't be surprised if it's like $1000+ AUD here in Australia, that equates to about $700 USD.

Last edited:

amigastar

This is hilarious. The rumored specs currently are around 1.5 times the power of a PS5. In other words, nowhere near a 4090.

Doesn’t the PS5 essentially have what amounts to the equivalent of a 2060 to begin with?
No, i'm pretty sure it was a 2070.

Gamerguy84

First time I've ever dipped in the rumor poop but yes. With Tom saying it I would say it's definitely happening. The guy has dropped a lot of truth bombs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom