• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS5 7.00 update will allow streaming of PS5 games and Discord integration

Pelta88

I don't use / am really unfamilliar with discord. anyone care to explain how discord integration will work on PS5?

Gamerguy84

Played the entirety of a ratchet and clank and Infamous 2 blood sport through PSNOW. Also Uncharted 2.

Works very well in my case but only after I ditched old ISP and went with fiber.

I will always prefer local but it's nice to know it works if you need it.

That doesn't really tell us anything. Even dabbling with it for five minutes counts as a use. We don't know if those are unique users or just accounting for multiple sessions with the same people (kind of how games rack up their "10 million players lifetime" stats but then you look at concurrent and it's never anywhere near that high, plus some of those are the same people every day).

Also keep in mind xCloud is on Xbox, PC, and mobile devices. So out of a market of over a billion devices, it's seen usage in only 2% of it. That's not very many. And the actual percentage would actually be lower because I cutoff that install base to 1 billion, when way more people in the world have smartphones than that.

Last edited:

analog_future

Resident Crybaby
Also keep in mind xCloud is on Xbox, PC, and mobile devices. So out of a market of over a billion devices, it's seen usage in only 2% of it. That's not very many. And the actual percentage would actually be lower because I cutoff that install base to 1 billion, when way more people in the world have smartphones than that.

That's just silly. That's like saying Netflix isn't successful because It's available on billions of devices but only 10% have subscribed to Netflix.

The more rational comparison would be that Game Pass has roughly 25 million subscribers, and of those subscribers, 20 million have tried Cloud Gaming.

That's just silly. That's like saying Netflix isn't successful because It's available on billions of devices but only 10% have subscribed to Netflix.

The more rational comparison would be that Game Pass has roughly 25 million subscribers, and of those subscribers, 20 million have tried Cloud Gaming.

Hey, MS are the ones who've said they want to reach billions of devices, that's part of their mission statement with these services. Considering Game Pass growth stagnated last year, that would also indicate xCloud usage rate probably stagnated as well.

Consistency of the service's growth and usage metrics are probably more important internally than early milestones.

AGRacing

It always makes me laugh when they talk about "nobody wants to play PS3 games!" And so they don't work on BC...

But every company under the sun and now Sony pushes the shit out of streaming games... Nobody gives a damn but they keep throwing money at it. Who regularly uses this?!

Like how do we care about 4K graphics and HDR .. buy a PS5 to blow our minds with sharp fast and beautiful graphics... And then the same person is going to stream games that look like shitty YouTube videos... What the hell are we selling here? Even the best YouTube quality on processed videos can't represent what a PS5 can do on your TV in person really...

But on demand streaming is so bad I'd rather play the PS4 version of the same game natively than stream the PS5 version. That's how big the difference is that we're talking about.

Last edited:

analog_future

Resident Crybaby
It always makes me laugh when they talk about "nobody wants to play PS3 games!" And so they don't work on BC...

But every company under the sun and now Sony pushes the shit out of streaming games... Nobody gives a damn but they keep throwing money at it. Who regularly uses this?!

Like how do we care about 4K graphics and HDR .. buy a PS5 to blow our minds with sharp fast and beautiful graphics... And then the same person is going to stream games that look like shitty YouTube videos... What the hell are we selling here? Even the best YouTube quality on processed videos can't represent what a PS5 can do on your TV in person really...

But on demand streaming is so bad I'd rather play the PS4 version of the same game natively than stream the PS5 version. That's how big the difference is that we're talking about.

I don't think anyone sees game streaming as a replacement for on-the-couch gaming. Not even the platform holders (other than Google with Stadia, and we all saw how that went).

I see it as a replacement for/alternative to handheld gaming. And I'd much rather play, say, The Witcher 3 at 60fps with all the bells and whistles via Xbox Cloud Gaming than at ultra-low settings, 30fps, and 720p on Switch. Especially when it comes at no extra cost on Xbox and is just another way to play games in my Game Pass subscription.

Last edited:

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Yeah. Eva Elfie. That is heizen's avatar and our mutual lover.
Best Friends Bff GIF by reactionseditor

ManaByte

Gold Member
This post screams "hey, im everyone"
No it doesn’t. But I have months of experience using GeForce Now and GP Cloud over many different types of sub-par connections, which is an infinite times more experience than what other people making shitpost hot takes have.

I don't think anyone sees game streaming as a replacement for on-the-couch gaming. Not even the platform holders (other than Google with Stadia, and we all saw how that went).

I see it as a replacement for/alternative to handheld gaming. And I'd much rather play, say, The Witcher 3 at 60fps with all the bells and whistles via Xbox Cloud Gaming than at ultra-low settings, 30fps, and 720p on Switch. Especially when it comes at no extra cost on Xbox and is just another way to play games in my Game Pass subscription.

I dunno; Steam Deck makes handheld cloud gaming seem less attractive, when we can see games at very manageable settings running natively on a device like that. You may get all the "bells and whistles" with cloud streaming those games on a handheld, but if there's a weak link between your ISP and/or wifi on your device, that's going to come with really bad latency and drops.

Not to mention, if you're playing these games long-term regularly, and you're somewhere like America, good luck getting a data plan without data caps. We luckily have a pretty good 5G home internet unlimited data plan where I say (I'm considering switching to it next year), but it took several years for such a plan to be available in the area. Not everyone in the country is as lucky. And double good luck if you've got a family who all like watching Netflix or whatever sharing on a plan with a data cap. You're not gonna be doing much cloud gaming at all if you don't want to pay for going over the limit.

analog_future

Resident Crybaby
I dunno; Steam Deck makes handheld cloud gaming seem less attractive, when we can see games at very manageable settings running natively on a device like that. You may get all the "bells and whistles" with cloud streaming those games on a handheld, but if there's a weak link between your ISP and/or wifi on your device, that's going to come with really bad latency and drops.

Not to mention, if you're playing these games long-term regularly, and you're somewhere like America, good luck getting a data plan without data caps. We luckily have a pretty good 5G home internet unlimited data plan where I say (I'm considering switching to it next year), but it took several years for such a plan to be available in the area. Not everyone in the country is as lucky. And double good luck if you've got a family who all like watching Netflix or whatever sharing on a plan with a data cap. You're not gonna be doing much cloud gaming at all if you don't want to pay for going over the limit.

Yeah, but a Steam Deck requires a $400 minimum purchase and a whole seperate (and large) device to lug around (with poor battery life to boot). Cloud gaming requires only a subscription and can be used on practically any device you own.

Yes, there's limitations. Yes, I'd say it currently appeals to a niche demographic. But if you don't see that there's a lot of potential for it in the future as infrastructure continues to strengthen and streaming tech continues to advance then you have your blinders on.

Neofire

Making it premium only and no other devices?

Ok…
I find statements like this ignorant to say the least. Sony so is supposed to let other devices freely stream their games that's intended to push their products...... without using their products? What 👀

With the exception of the Sony Xperia phones(which I highly doubt that's what you want the "devices" to be)PC is what you are talking about.

They even listed the reason why they are even allowing this, which is to conserve space and you still jumped out the window with this post lol. No you can't stream PS5 games on PC, switch or Xbox....lord lol.

Kilau

I find statements like this ignorant to say the least. Sony so is supposed to let other devices freely stream their games that's intended to push their products...... without using their products? What 👀

With the exception of the Sony Xperia phones(which I highly doubt that's what you want the "devices" to be)PC is what you are talking about.

They even listed the reason why they are even allowing this, which is to conserve space and you still jumped out the window with this post lol. No you can't stream PS5 games on PC, switch or Xbox....lord lol.
More like my iPad which has my 4th dualsense controller paired to it for remote play from my PS5. I don’t always leave my system in rest mode so the option would be nice.

Talk about ignorant.

Yeah, but a Steam Deck requires a $400 minimum purchase and a whole seperate (and large) device to lug around (with poor battery life to boot). Cloud gaming requires only a subscription and can be used on practically any device you own.

Yeah but that device you own will still cap the experience depending on its specs. It doesn't matter if you can stream it at 120 FPS if the device's refresh is capped at 60 Hz. It doesn't matter if you can stream it at 4K if the device's screen resolution is capped at 1440p. Doesn't matter if the game's running server-side on a 4090; if your wifi module sucks you're going to get dropped frames and heavy latency anyway.

Yes, there's limitations. Yes, I'd say it currently appeals to a niche demographic. But if you don't see that there's a lot of potential for it in the future as infrastructure continues to strengthen and streaming tech continues to advance then you have your blinders on.

I'm sure there's a future for cloud streaming, though personally I think it's best as a complement to native gaming. Think of what Flight Simulator does, streaming in texture data through the cloud while you play. That's the future of cloud gaming IMHO; adding to a native experience and offloading certain redundant, lower-priority graphics & physics calculations from the local device.

Honestly there's no future where cloud gaming ever outright replaces native, especially as game engines better optimize for lower specs, meaning cheaper personal gaming devices can run more games natively at better minimum thresholds, satisfying the fidelity requirements for the majority of would-be gamers. That makes relying on cloud-only devices even more redundant. But again, streaming could be a great thing for supplementing native gaming in terms of boost fidelity of visuals or physics in the cloud.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
So from now on, game streaming will be useful feature :messenger_grinning_sweat:
Oh bullshit. Everyone shat on it with PS Now and shat on Stadia. Only one group uses it as a selling point and the bees knees for "reaching more gamers" tripe when it comes to their cult favorite brand wanting to buy up all the largest third party publishers.

Last edited:
Reactions: GHG

Kilau

These features always come in phases. Why would cloud streaming which was already premium exclusive for all none ps5 games not then also include ps5. It makes sense. And what's the point in a premium service if it doesn't have premium features.
Sure I get that and I have years of premium stacked so I could use it if I wanted to but more just a general complaint of how restricted it’s starting out.

analog_future

Resident Crybaby
Yeah but that device you own will still cap the experience depending on its specs. It doesn't matter if you can stream it at 120 FPS if the device's refresh is capped at 60 Hz. It doesn't matter if you can stream it at 4K if the device's screen resolution is capped at 1440p. Doesn't matter if the game's running server-side on a 4090; if your wifi module sucks you're going to get dropped frames and heavy latency anyway.

I'm sure there's a future for cloud streaming, though personally I think it's best as a complement to native gaming. Think of what Flight Simulator does, streaming in texture data through the cloud while you play. That's the future of cloud gaming IMHO; adding to a native experience and offloading certain redundant, lower-priority graphics & physics calculations from the local device.

Honestly there's no future where cloud gaming ever outright replaces native, especially as game engines better optimize for lower specs, meaning cheaper personal gaming devices can run more games natively at better minimum thresholds, satisfying the fidelity requirements for the majority of would-be gamers. That makes relying on cloud-only devices even more redundant. But again, streaming could be a great thing for supplementing native gaming in terms of boost fidelity of visuals or physics in the cloud.

Oh, I completely agree with you there. It's complementary to native gaming. Not a replacement. And again, folks like Phil Spencer have said as much. It's not intended to be a replacement. It's intended to be a way to bring your games on the go, or to preview games without having to download them first, or to play new games on your old consoles (like cloud gaming Xbox Series games on an old Xbox One).

It's nice for me to start, say, Deathloop via Series X on my TV, but grab my mobile device and continue playing when my wife wants to take over the TV, and then move back to the TV again once it's freed up. It's never as good as native but it's a nice complementary solution.

And yeah, I'm definitely very interested to see how cloud technology plays a role in future natively rendered games ala Flight Simulator. Definitely potential for some really interesting stuff.

Last edited:

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
It's probably going to allow for games you own that are not on the service itself, similar to xCloud. Probably will need some licensing integration updates.

Probably not this, at all.

That would all be server side anyways is my point.

Rumor just doesn't really make logical sense... Sony adding PS5 games to PS+ Premium is an inevitability, but I also seriously doubt it'll happen this soon... and it'll be something separate from an OS update lol

Last edited:

reksveks

The fuck does an OS update have to do with PS5 games being added to PS+ Premium?

lol
I suspect it may be required and the answer would just be depressing but agree that there really shouldn't be required but sony's setup just seems rather weird.

Last edited:

reksveks

It's probably going to allow for games you own that are not on the service itself, similar to xCloud. Probably will need some licensing integration updates.
it should be server side, psnow works on pc and hopefully mobile soon, there shouldn't be any dependency client side beyond supporting the 'input/output'.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
it should be server side, psnow works on pc and hopefully mobile soon, there shouldn't be any dependency client side beyond supporting the 'input/output'.
Sure, but there are still updates done to the OS level for security, functionality, licensing, labeling of products (UI), store placements (UI), etc..

The store/online function is streamlined into the OS itself now.

This update is probably mainly for the Discord functionality, with very little done for the PS5 streaming side. Just all rolled out at the same time. People are reading way too into it, lol.

Last edited:

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
No, it's all tied into the OS itself now. The store as well, which is why everything is infinitely faster than how it was on the PS3 and PS4.
I really don't think you have a strong grasp on how operating systems and applications work.

Whether the UX makes you think it's part of the OS or not.. it's still a bunch of different processes that run.

They absolutely aren't running the streaming bits in the background at all times.

I do like the UX though.

But sure.. these changes are bundled in an OS update. I get that.

Last edited:

GHG

Oh bullshit. Everyone shat on it with PS Now and shat on Stadia. Only one group uses it as a selling point and the bees knees for "reaching more gamers" tripe when it comes to their cult favorite brand wanting to buy up all the largest third party publishers.

It's actually sad that they think everyone else will be the same brain-dead cheerleaders that they are.

Dirk Benedict

Gold Member
Game streaming is still crap

I had a decent time with it, till Persona 5 came along, then I ran remote play to stream, because Atlus were being dickheads.
EVentually, in the middle of the game, I went on Amazon and just got a fucking El Gato HD60S.
Because I was tired of developers fucking blocking parts of the game from streaming.

nial

Gold Member
Being able to play PS5-only games on PS4 sounds interesting.
That being said, I personally won't be using it, but having the option is nice I guess.

Last edited:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
The fact of the matter is someone must be using steaming services or Sony wouldn't have invested the money and man power to add it.

So...I guess that's something.

I'd still prefer to play on my ps5 instead of stream but it's good for some peeps.

Top Bottom