• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

so the PS5 Pro is confirmed right?

Status
Not open for further replies.

shamoomoo

Really wish these companies would be more transparent about hardware releases.
Announce the pro along side the base model. Even if years away from release.

Stop with this shaddy bs to get you to buy the same thing twice.
That doesn't make any sense, PS4 pro was announced because it was cheap enough to reach faux K and to retain or people who might've gone to PC at the time.

Knightime_X

That doesn't make any sense, PS4 pro was announced because it was cheap enough to reach faux K and to retain or people who might've gone to PC at the time.
First time gets a free pass.
Every time after, I'm going automatic assume company is lying and a consistent track record will strongly back this up moving forward.

Krathoon

Wow. Really? Kind of early for a Pro version. I am sure as hell not buying it.

I don't feel like I got enough use out of my regular version.

Kind of obnoxious, if you ask me.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Given how Jim has been running Playstation it wouldn't surprise me if he tried selling us another more powerful device when the original isn't even off the runway yet.
The fact that we're at a similar time frame that the original Pro was released show's how uneventful the PS5 & XSX for that matter has been so far.
Both Pro consoles didn't really sell like hot cakes and are ironically now been discontinued for years with only the standard PS4 remaining in production.
I don't see the need or the point of a Pro console at the moment when they still selling us cross gen games.
The only thing this tells us is the PS4 Pro was a waste of time and the PS5 was the true Pro PS4.
and it'll likely be the same with the PS5 Pro
it be improvements to PS5 only games but still lacking then PS6 will actually deliver the promise
If this is how they gonna evolve then you might as well wait it out for the PS6

Annoying to be sure, but video game consoles are just about the only tech product that has a lifecycle longer than a year.

These days, by the time anything hits the market the specs are already outdated.

I'll just do what I do when the next iteration of a phone comes out I just spent $1000 on. Nothing.

Begs the question, if the video game industry needs to be adopt a similar model as the mobile phone.

Last edited:

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
With them Porting games to PC I don't think a Pro console will make any difference.

Trogdor1123

Gold Member
It’s being worked on probably, they always work on stuff like that. It doesn’t confirm it being released though.

I hope it does though. Has Tom ever linked specs?

isn’t it useful to know about hardware earlier? can plan for future purchases

No.

Might as well then leak all the upcoming video game shows in the years to come and the lineup of games/products for each show.
While you're at it leak all the game modes for said games, platforms they're launching on and the prices too.
We can do away with PlayStation or Xbox Showcases since we already know what's coming. Just leak it all.

Last edited:

Gamerguy84

It’s being worked on probably, they always work on stuff like that. It doesn’t confirm it being released though.

I hope it does though. Has Tom ever linked specs?
Yea he has check out the OP.

Says he won't name them here in this time because it would expose who he knows and cant jeopardize them.

I've read other rumors though saying twice as powerful. 18 to 19 TF 30 workgroup processors which is 2 CUs. Better RT from Mark cerny.

Rykan

You don't even know what Capitalism is... If you did, you'd know it doesn't exist on this planet anymore.
This is factually wrong, and nobody who studies or even has a basic understanding of economy ideology will take such a claim seriously. Nobody.

Last edited:
This is factually wrong, and nobody who studies or even has a basic understanding of economy ideology will take such a claim seriously. Nobody.
Capitalism does exist, but maybe not to the same extent as it did in the West prior to the 20th century. No social security, healthcare, education, virtually no taxes. Everything privately controlled. About the only thing funded by the state was the military. I think people refer to that when they say this. I doubt they mean the free market doesn't exist.Truly, you shouldn't even have a government but then who wants that and to that extent we have never had it.

Mephisto40

This isnt happening

Until they figure out how to make a console that can do stable 60fps with ray tracing enabled for $500 - $600 this is just a complete pipe dream

Last edited:
Was about to sell series X and buy a ps5 but I'll hold on to series X now.
What I do know is PS5 pro whenever it comes will be scalpers dreams and it will repeat the same shenanigans of ps5 availabiltiy at launch

Fredrik

The only thing this tells us is the PS4 Pro was a waste of time and the PS5 was the true Pro PS4.
and it'll likely be the same with the PS5 Pro
it be improvements to PS5 only games but still lacking then PS6 will actually deliver the promise
If this is how they gonna evolve then you might as well wait it out for the PS6
Already tried that waiting game, it’s not fun. I never bought PS4 Pro, and that came with consequences, meant knowing everything I played were subpar versions. So I deliberately skipped many late PS4 releases and stopped playing some old ones as well because I knew they played better on the Pro and PS5 would soon launch. I also decided to play multiplats on the Xbox One X since I did buy that, essentially meant PS4 were mostly collecting dust.

I would say that things are slightly different now though, 30fps isn’t a norm on Original PS5 but we do have games like FF16 struggling to do 60fps with lowered resolutions and I can see that being more common with a Pro model available.

I could play games on PC but then we’re doing the waiting game again unless Sony stops using the annoying delay strategy.

So I’ll be looking closely at what’s happening going forward, if it seems like the second half of the gen will simply be better with a PS5 Pro then I’ll buy it.

PeteBull

This isnt happening

Until they figure out how to make a console that can do stable 60fps with ray tracing enabled for $500 - $600 this is just a complete pipe dream
As long as ps5pr0 will offer enthusiasts games running like in framerate mode but looking like in fidelity mode, aka best from both worlds, plenty ppl will bite, price wise gotta be realisitc, for holidays 2024 600 to 800$ msrp is sweetspot, as long as specs are solid.

Mephisto40

As long as ps5pr0 will offer enthusiasts games running like in framerate mode but looking like in fidelity mode, aka best from both worlds, plenty ppl will bite, price wise gotta be realisitc, for holidays 2024 600 to 800$ msrp is sweetspot, as long as specs are solid.
Sony are not going to be able to produce a console that does 4k 60fps with ray tracing enabled, which is what you are suggesting, for $800

High end $2000+ PC's can't even achieve that

pachura

I think they have surely designed it, but might still not proceed with releasing it.

PS. PS4 Pro was absolutely necessary for PSVR

Still not convinced that we need a PS5 Pro. The only games I've seen that look truly current-gen have been Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart and Horizon: Forbidden West, the latter of which is an enhanced cross-gen port. All the other games look graphically nice but are not what I would describe as a generation leap in visual quality. Sure, ray-tracing is nice to have and can enhance weaker areas of games such as direct and indirect lighting and shadows but in terms of actual graphical quality everything has been a refinement rather than a leap. The biggest improvements this generation have been faster loading times and, of course, more games with 60 fps and even 120 fps support. Graphically games have remained much the same apart from the addition of RT in games, which the consoles are not strong at due to the last gen AMD GPUs (Insomniac have excelled at RT support though in their games).

I know why people want the Pro so they can have 60 fps games but another SKU with a limited user base will likely mean that only first-party games will truly take advantage of the hardware and most games from third-parties, due to the cross-platform nature of development, will likely have barebones support. Basically, like the PS4 Pro.

If anything what developers need right now is fewer platforms to support not more so they can optimise their games properly. Having more powerful hardware does not instantly guarantee you a better gaming experience: any PC gamer with a Intel i7-13900K and NVIDIA RTX 4090 can tell you how well The Last of Us Part 1 and Star Wars Jedi: Survivor ran at launch...

Last edited:
Sure, it'll actually have the power of a 6090 and will shit rainbows if you pay for the top tier of PS+.
Based on the latest reported leakes it's going to be around 4070 level of performance, and that's if they clock those 60 CUs high enough and also if they're not planning on disabling 2 or 4 CUs to improve yields like they did with the PS5 APU (SoC has 40 CUs but only 36 are functional).

So yeah... temper your expectations or if you want the latest and greatest get a PC with 4090 instead.

Last edited:
This is hilarious. The rumored specs currently are around 1.5 times the power of a PS5. In other words, nowhere near a 4090.

Doesn’t the PS5 essentially have what amounts to the equivalent of a 2060 to begin with?
Well that's if you believe the propaganda spread by Battaglia who is talking only about RT performance. 🙄
The PS5 APU has 2070 Super level of performance in raster (and it even reaches the non-super RTX 2080 in some cases) and around 2060 Super level of perf when you enable RT.

Last edited:

PeteBull

Sony are not going to be able to produce a console that does 4k 60fps with ray tracing enabled, which is what you are suggesting, for $800

High end $2000+ PC's can't even achieve that
Im suggesting 2x more fps or 2x more pixels vs what base ps5 can do, at same settings ofc.

When u saying 4k60 it shows u arent techsavy person, coz next gen doesnt automatically mean 4k60, it depends on how demanding game is, the more it demands on the cpu the harder it is to hit stable 60 or even stable 30 fps, the more demading game is on the gpu side the lower res game gonna be.

TLDR u get spiderman 2 gameplay demo with 1296p 30fps(confirmed by DF when they were analysing the trailer), so if ps5pr0 can do same thing but in 60fps or bump up resoution to 2x of that(it was dynamic res so say 1600-1800p), then its solid win already.

Remember game looking like tetris could be 16k 240fps but still look like shit, u need balance of image quality/graphics/framerate- only then we get true next gen experience.

About rt- amd is behind nvidia in raytracing, at least when it comes to their current offerings, so rdna3 and not by lil bit(the stronger rt game has the bigger the gap, in some games its over 2x higher fps 4090 vs 7900xtx, like cp2077 max rt settings).
And since ps5pr0 launches earliest holiday 2024 so in 1,5 year- first lets see what amd can offer by their flagship rdna4 archiceture gpu, then we will obviosuly need to cut/underclock/undervolt it till it takes max 200W(since total max tdp of ps5pro wont go above 250W), and from that we can extrapolate actual performance of a console.

blastprocessor

The Amiga Brotherhood
This is hilarious. The rumored specs currently are around 1.5 times the power of a PS5. In other words, nowhere near a 4090.

Doesn’t the PS5 essentially have what amounts to the equivalent of a 2060 to begin with?

Performs like a 2080 according to DF but that's just one title.

Faster than a 4060 when not cheating with DLSS.

Last edited:

Roronoa Zoro

Gold Member
That guy is a douchebag like most people on Twitter chasing for clout but he has a solid track record when it comes to PlayStation hardware.

Thing is, todays showcase was so terribly bad that I am intrigued how they try and sell this Pro model to the public. Best looking games on PS5 came out in 2021 and 2022, what exactly is the point of buying a newer/powerful model?
Moar frames! Moar res!

Seriously though if it does 4k60 for performance modes and maybe has 1.5-2 tb storage id cop it for $500 or $600 if by then they'd dropped the regular to $400

Last edited:

Caio

Wow. Really? Kind of early for a Pro version. I am sure as hell not buying it.

I don't feel like I got enough use out of my regular version.

Kind of obnoxious, if you ask me.
Nobody ever said is coming out now. The PRO might be released by Nov 2024, which is a perfect time if you ask me, and it's aimed for the most part at an audience that wants better performance; I can't see anything wrong about this. If you are fine with the base PS5, just keep it and do not upgrade.

Resolutions keep dropping lower and lower to the point we're reached 720p in some titles while RT performance remains abysmal being RDNA2. There's no secret sauce to harness, it's been over 3 years.
But, in the end what's the point of ever releasing a console?

It'll always be out of date, no matter what you do.

Now, people who bought the ps5 have effectively seen almost no legitimate exclusives, and already they are moving on.

Performs like a 2080 according to DF but that's just one title.

Faster than a 4060 when not cheating with DLSS.

Yes, this perfectly illustrates what I'm saying. The PS5 is great at rasterization workloads (can even best a 4060 it seems!), but sadly kinda weak sauce at RT due to the dogshit RDNA RT implementation which is done at the shaders level instead of having dedicated RT cores like Intel and Nvidia is doing with their GPUs.

Hopefully the PS5 Pro will fix that considering Sony engineers have been working for a while on dedicated RT cores.

Last edited:

fart town usa

Gold Member
Really curious if a PS5 Pro will give a substantial bump to PSVR2 titles? That'd be my reason for buying one. Honestly don't give a shit about a flat gaming boost. My PS5 is hooked up to a 1080p plasma and only occasionally gets love on the modern 4k OLED.

Skifi28

But, in the end what's the point of ever releasing a console?

It'll always be out of date, no matter what you do.

Now, people who bought the ps5 have effectively seen almost no legitimate exclusives, and already they are moving on.
Nobody's moving on, the base PS5 is going nowhere. It'll still be the base target and play all future games. If you're happy with how games look and perform, you stay with your PS5. If you want more, you get a pro. Nobody's taking anything away from you. We've already seen how this works, do we really need to have this discussion every 5 years?

Last edited:

Rayderism

As much as I don't want there to be a PS5 Pro, I know that if they actually create one, I will buy it. Why? Simply because I won't be able to stand continuing on with the "inferior" PS5. Just like with the PS4 Pro.

I just hope that if a PS5 Pro does happen, they make it a less pretentious and smaller design.

consoul

he has the Pro specs but can’t reveal them yet because it would reveal his source to Sony due to only a limited group of devs having Pro dev kits at the moment.
OK so he couldn't reveal the specs because it would give away that his source is among the limited group of devs with Pro dev kits.

which he gives away just by saying that.

Roronoa Zoro

Gold Member
Nobody ever said is coming out now. The PRO might be released by Nov 2024, which is a perfect time if you ask me, and it's aimed for the most part at an audience that wants better performance; I can't see anything wrong about this. If you are fine with the base PS5, just keep it and do not upgrade.
Yep that would make complete sense. If a gen is 8 years and you release one of these at 4 that's nicely spaced

Unknown?

Capitalism does exist, but maybe not to the same extent as it did in the West prior to the 20th century. No social security, healthcare, education, virtually no taxes. Everything privately controlled. About the only thing funded by the state was the military. I think people refer to that when they say this. I doubt they mean the free market doesn't exist.Truly, you shouldn't even have a government but then who wants that and to that extent we have never had it.
There are no free markets with government intervention, choosing which monopolies, duopolies, and oligopolies they want.
You cannot understand economics if you don't even know the difference between money and currency or how modern currency is created.

The reason why we don't have free markets is because cartels form to lobby government to make regulations that kill competition in their field. You can't have capitalism with a central bank that steals from everyone to give to the rich.

Last edited:

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
The future in amazing looking games is Ray Tracing, something the current RDNA2 GPUs suck at. There is no secret sauce for that, unless you are fine with future games being 1080p at 30fps. I'll take the pro, thank you very much.
if you wanted that to be fixed the solution isn't making a pro model with better RDNA2 hardware... because RDNA2 is still buttcheeks in raytracing performance even at its best

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
Resolutions keep dropping lower and lower to the point we're reached 720p in some titles
Forspoken running badly isn't because of the PS5... the PC port is doodoo as well.

A pro model would be more effective if optimization wasn't in such a dire state regarding AAA games.

Skifi28

if you wanted that to be fixed the solution isn't making a pro model with better RDNA2 hardware... because RDNA2 is still buttcheeks in raytracing performance even at its best
Nobody's stopping them from having custom RT acceleration hardware. If there's indeed a Pro model, I'm sure RT is something they will focus on.

Forspoken running badly isn't because of the PS5... the PC port is doodoo as well.

A pro model would be more effective if optimization wasn't in such a dire state regarding AAA games.
Forspoken, Star Wars, FF XVI in it's performance mode, the list gets longer and longer as we go and there's still more than a year to go from the rumoured release.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom