• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS3 exclusive Metal Gear Solid 4 was once ‘running beautifully’ on Xbox 360

Status
Not open for further replies.
THE GAME’S ASSISTANT PRODUCER SAYS THE NUMBER OF DISCS WAS AN ISSUE

18mfgm84j37gmjpg.jpg

At one point during its development, Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots was “running beautifully and smoothly” on Xbox 360

Despite how downtrodden my colleagues were with developing on PS3, most of them were still hardcore Sony fans and were not in favour of spending resources on such a test," Payton explains in the book.

"They believed Metal Gear Solid 4 would look and run terribly on Microsoft's older and inferior hardware.

"One fateful day, the Konami R&D team hosted a meeting where we got to see the fruits of their labour – Metal Gear Solid 4 running beautifully and smoothly on an Xbox 360."

According to Payton, although the port was possible on a technical level, it wasn't practical on a physical level.

Because PS3 games came on BD-ROM discs which could hold up to 54GB of storage, and Xbox 360 games came on DVD-ROM discs which could only hold up to 8.3GB, bringing Metal Gear Solid 4 to Xbox 360 would have required putting the game on numerous discs, something Konami wasn't willing to do.

More at: https://www.videogameschronicle.com...d-4-was-once-running-beautifully-on-xbox-360/

Calverz

I thought most people knew this?

News about this gets recycled every so many years.
First time we have heard it was running "smoothly"...which suggests it may have run better on the 360 like most third party games back then. Its a real shame as its likely the game would have been playable on the x1/series consoles. Maybe even enhanced. But its stuck on PS3. Lets see if Konami do anything with it soon.....

diffusionx

Gold Member
First time we have heard it was running "smoothly"...which suggests it may have run better on the 360 like most third party games back then. Its a real shame as its likely the game would have been playable on the x1/series consoles. Maybe even enhanced. But its stuck on PS3. Lets see if Konami do anything with it soon.....
It doesn't suggest anything. Maybe it was better, maybe it was worse like FFXIII - actually that is probably the best comparison because they had to make those cutbacks in video quality to make the game less than 900 discs. Obviously that's not something you have to do in a test demo.

It would be cool to see the game ported to newer systems but we are stuck with this soulless remake of 3 for the time being.

Last edited:

Calverz

It doesn't suggest anything. Maybe it was better, maybe it was worse like FFXIII - actually that is probably the best comparison because they had to make those cutbacks in video quality to make the game less than 900 discs. Obviously that's not something you have to do in a test demo.

It would be cool to see the game ported to newer systems but we are stuck with this soulless remake of 3 for the time being.
Sorry I was meaning frame rate specifically.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
This was from last year and it said the same thing.

Which was pulled from this book,

Last edited:

radewagon

I'd imagine that early models of the 360 not all being packaged with a hard drive had a lot to do with it as well. MGS4 hogged up a lot of storage when it was first released. It was so bad that the game had to have long installs at the start of each chapter that also deleted the data from the previous chapter. This was eventually patched out, but it was strange.

Calverz

This was from last year and it said the same thing.

Which was pulled from this book,

Well hey come on. It’s a nice story lol

Bry0

I'd imagine that early models of the 360 not all being packaged with a hard drive had a lot to do with it as well. MGS4 hogged up a lot of storage when it was first released. It was so bad that the game had to have long installs at the start of each chapter that also deleted the data from the previous chapter. This was eventually patched out, but it was strange.
Yeah later in the life of the 360 requiring the hdd for installs was no big deal. In 2008 however I’m not sure that the functionality had even been patched into the OS yet.

diffusionx

Gold Member
It always hogged a lot of storage, the issue was that was also because early PS3s only had 20GB/60GB, so they had to make sure it ran on those systems. Once the later systems came out they let you install the full game to the HD.

Topher

Gold Member

Seems we have a lot of games "stuck" on PS3. Top of my head, Infamous 1 & 2, Resistance series, Killzone 2 and 3, the R&C PS3 games and probably a number of third party games.

I guess the cost to port them isn't worth the effort. But if any game desperately needed to be ported, it is MGS 4.

Ev1L AuRoN

I don't believe it. Konami wouldn't pay their team to port the game to 360 just to cancel it because of the size of the game, that is something they know from the start.

360 could easily run the game, the size would be an issue of course.

Calverz

Seems we have a lot of games "stuck" on PS3. Top of my head, Infamous 1 & 2, Resistance series, Killzone 2 and 3, the R&C PS3 games and probably a number of third party games.

I guess the cost to port them isn't worth the effort. But if any game desperately needed to be ported, it is MGS 4.
Very true. It has a huge following and it was a pretty important game back in the day for various reasons. I cant say its my favourite in the series, but I would definitely play a new version of it. I'd kill to play Killzone 3 MP on modern systems. I loved it.

Last edited:

Calverz

Here is another one from mvg.

The build was early.

I honestly think this was party made by epic so Microsoft would shit their pants and buy the IP off them. Maybe not and they did want to release it on ps3 and cash in the extra sales.

feynoob

Banned
I honestly think this was party made by epic so Microsoft would shit their pants and buy the IP off them. Maybe not and they did want to release it on ps3 and cash in the extra sales.
Phil Spencer bought since epic did not what to do with it.
Cliff Bleszinkski, lead designer on the first three Gears of War games, said he believes the eventual sale of the series to Microsoft came as a result of developer Epic Games "not knowing what to do with the future of the franchise."Nov 2, 2022

intbal

Manufacturing a DVD case capable of holding 6 DVDs, much more than that. Not to mention having it sit in a similar shelf space as regular games.

Not saying a 6 DVD release would have been technically infeasible, but it would have cost more than 48 cents.
I didn't mention a case or anything else.
I merely pointed out the cost of printing six dvds during that era.

SkylineRKR

Yes and if a 360 version would come out it would at least be playable on future Xbox systems. Unlike the PS3.

The game could easily be done on 360, they would need to compress stuff and release on 2 or 3 discs but it would be possible. Audio usually takes the most space. It seems KojiPro wanted to be faithful to Sony who also heavily promoted the game.

nowhat

Audio usually takes the most space.
...in what world do you live in? Audio does take up some space, but unless MGS 4 includes all the works of Tolstoy recorded at 24bit/192kHz in every language ever translated to, and as uncompressed PCM audio, you're not going to fill 6 DVDs.

(yes, I haven't done the math and being somewhat hyperbolic - but it's the FMV, not audio, that causes the storage requirements)

Last edited:

Banned
Fortunately it wasn’t because 6+ discs is crazy, it would be cool to see a mgs4 remake after mgs3.

6 discs would still have been better than a 5 to 10 min install after each chapter like it was on PS3.

changing disc, maybe 20 seconds,
installing new chapter, 10min of watching Snake smoke...

Last edited:

intbal

I have no idea why people think selling a console game on multiple discs is some kind of impossible feat.
Maybe it's just Playstation-only gamers.

Xbox has done it plenty of times.
Here are a few from the 360 era.

Rage. 3 dvds. Standard size Xbox 360 case with inner flap
OOxqeXo.jpg

Lost Odyssey. 4 dvds. Standard size Xbox 360 case with inner flap
L0IDX2c.jpg

Wolfenstein The New Order. 4 dvds. Standard size Xbox 360 case with tall spindle
cMV98QV.jpg

L.A. Noire Complete Edition had 4 dvds but came in a paper folder case with a sleeve.
My box set of Ghost in the Shell comes in a plastic dvd case that's barely thicker than a standard Xbox 360 case (about 33%) and includes seven discs.

Last edited:
I have no idea why people think selling a console game on multiple discs is some kind of impossible feat.
Maybe it's just Playstation-only gamers.

Xbox has done it plenty of times.
Here are a few from the 360 era.

Rage. 3 dvds. Standard size Xbox 360 case with inner flap
OOxqeXo.jpg

Lost Odyssey. 4 dvds. Standard size Xbox 360 case with inner flap
L0IDX2c.jpg

Wolfenstein The New Order. 4 dvds. Standard size Xbox 360 case with tall spindle
cMV98QV.jpg

L.A. Noire Complete Edition had 4 dvds but came in a paper folder case with a sleeve.
My box set of Ghost in the Shell comes in a plastic dvd case that's barely thicker than a standard Xbox 360 case (about 33%) and includes seven discs.
multiple disks is ghetto, it was acceptable in the ps1 and even ps2 era but got ridiculous after that. Once you get passed 2 disks mainly at least.

Last edited:

OCASM

Banned
MGSV ran better on the 360 after all:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom