• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Possible Megaton Incoming. New Rumor surround Microsoft series S

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
So, this is a rumor about a console that itself is a rumor despite it apparently launching in a few months time... Hmmm....

Everyone saying that Lockhart won’t be a leap are obviously forgetting that it will include an SSD - which Sonygaf has lead me to believe is the most important factor in next gen.

Umm....it really is?

What's a bigger factor than (on Sony's side), a 100X faster storage compared to last gen?

1.9 more tfloppies?

MS doesn't keep them around. They discontinued the launch Xbox One the day the One S hit the market.
Mana, it might be worth doing a PSA thread explaining that the OG One is discontinued and the plans to do the same for the S and X are in motion.

I keep myself fairly close to console goings on and I didn't know this until you pointed it out to me in the other thread. It might help the community?

SaucyJack

In case of PS4, the average number of games bought in the whole generation was 10.7. (1.18 billion games sold on 110 million users). Let's say the average game price would be $45, because a lot of people buy them in sales and not at full price. This results in $480 per user spend on games.

Let's say Microsoft stops selling games and only does Game Pass. Microsoft Game Pass is $10 per month. So to match that they need to be able to sell on average 4 years of Game Pass next-gen to each user. $480 / 10 (price GP) / 12 (months) => 4 years, of the 7 years (normal generation span).

It might be difficult to get to that number, but then again it's not impossible. Let's not forget that for each game they actually sell the need for Game Pass to get break-even goes down too. And maybe that average $45 is even wrong, and is lower or higher.

You’ve assumed the most expensive way to buy game pass. Peopme aren’t going to pay $10/month long term for something that you can buy annually or quarterly for far less, notwithstanding promo deals.

And added to that MS have to pay game publishers for the content that’s included.

Cyborg

Yeah its not at all confusing...... three new SKUs

Series X: € 499?
Series S € 299?
Series D (digital) €199?

Combined with XoneX, XboxOne, XboxOneS

D

Deleted member 775630

Unconfirmed Member
You’ve assumed the most expensive way to buy game pass. Peopme aren’t going to pay $10/month long term for something that you can buy annually or quarterly for far less, notwithstanding promo deals.

And added to that MS have to pay game publishers for the content that’s included.
True, but if you want you can also buy games for $10 in stores... I think I was fair in my analysis on game pricing (which might actually be lower) as well as Game Pass pricing. Because here I made the assumption that people would only use Game Pass, while they could still buy games (digitally or in stores).

I was already considering trading in my S for an X. If this comes out, then the price of the X will drop too right? I have no interest in the Series X until games get next gen exclusive.

PaNaMa

Banned
Those numbers are definitely too low IMO, but don't be surprised to see Microsoft come out ahead on price. Game Pass revenue alone lets them discount the hardware. Get someone signed up for game pass ultimate for a few months, and there's the $50 back. Subscriptions man. games as a service. Make all them dollas back

D

Deleted member 775630

Unconfirmed Member
I was already considering trading in my S for an X. If this comes out, then the price of the X will drop too right? I have no interest in the Series X until games get next gen exclusive.
I would just buy Lockhart if it exists. Will probably be only a bit more expensive than the X, but much better.

I would just buy Lockhart if it exists. Will probably be only a bit more expensive than the X, but much better.

True. Would just be trying to make AC Odyssey run a bit better, but I suppose Lockhart would def do the job better than the X. It would also make Valhalla look much better than the X too.

I hope its basement level cheap (like 250), then I could trade in the S (Gamestop always has trade in bonus for new consoles) to bring the cost lower.

Romulus

I think that price would be huge but I honestly think xbox has to do something ultra aggressive to stand a chance. I expect $499 and $349 though, which is still a crazy bargain.

Last edited:

Eliciel

New rumors from some insiders and reported by some reliable youtubers I do not wish to advertise here about the Price of Series S.

Rumors suggesting the base model could sell for a super aggressive price at $399 and the Lockhart model for a crazy $200.

The lockhart is said to have a more powerful gpu than the One X but all digital and not on the level of a Series S.

Microsoft has the pockets to do something crazy like this if they choose too. If a person can play the new Halo for $200 with a lower resolution, holy shit that's impossible to beat. Stay tuned!

Here is one of the fellows I am talking about, and respect him.

welcome to turf wars.

$200 would not just be ridiculous it would also mean an almost ludicrous aggressiveness. Absurd value depletion.
Fundamentals speak a different language right now. Exclusives will get more expensive as we speak, we will see AAAA budgets coming our way for keeping up with expectations in graphical fidelity.

I am curious to see if Microsoft really goes that way.
Winning like this is not going to Win it for the industry as ´such, but damn a $200 price point? You got to be just stupid not buying it for access to the full library of future XSEX...that is cheaper than a PS4Pro.

baphomet

Yea, this isn't happening.

And how to people on this forum not realize that both the One S and One X will be discontinued?

Skyrxzaur

Neo Member
If it's war against Apple, Google, Amazon and their weapon is Xbox, that's a losing battle. MS backs Xbox because it is their only product that is "cool" they currently don't have any product that young people think is cool. Zune was an attempt to get a younger demographic. Minecraft was a purchase to capture the younger demo.

I think you’re gravely underestimating the resources and ability for innovation that Microsoft has. It definitely isn’t a “losing battle.” Microsoft has the cloud infrastructure and unlike Apple, Google and Amazon they have a presence and history already in the gaming industry with a well established brand. Microsoft does keep Xbox because it’s “cool” as well but it already being in gaming is obviously miles ahead of their competitors that would have to build in that space. They can use Xbox to build and lead the industry with game streaming and XX loud, or lay on their laurels and allow for Google and Amazon to get their ducks in a row. I mean Stadia despite being from Google is a massive flop... so clearly you must see what having an already established brand in the Games industry can do.

tryDEATH

And all the products you mentioned and don't make them money are DEAD. XBOX is not a first gen device, the OG XBOX was. XBOX nowadays is a successful and profitable brand. The day it isn't anymore MS will just kill it just like all the failures you mentioned.

Yes those franchises are dead, but MS threw a ton of money at them in an attempt to gain market share. With Xbox they have a successful brand, so investing heavily into it to expand market share makes absolutely sense for them especially considering how much market share they lost this generation and how much next generation and generate in profits if they even out the player base vs Sony's.

If they are willing to invest into new ventures and sectors to claw some market share why wouldn't they want to expand their successful brands. You don't rest on your laurels.

REDRZA MWS

What about games that are pushing high quality assets/fidelity at 1080/1440P instead of 4K on PS5/XBseX? Just dropping the resolution won't be enough.

You all assume next gen games will all run at Native 4k, and devs will just make them 1080P for Lockhart. But some next gen games won't go for that
Seems to me this is exactly what “smart delivery” is all about. The files for the system you are currently on will be “smartly” delivered and no more.

Im assuming lower resolution, lower graphical settings, and obviously next gen only features like RT won’t make the cut. Lastly frames IF need be (60 down to 30).

Possible megaton incoming from rumors that came from rumors and other rumors on interwebs.

I mean I'm all for hoping the next gen machines are as cheap as possible because everybody wins that way but at this point we are kinda pushing past plausible things.

If Lockhart is a thing, X1X gotta be killed instantly and if Lockhart is supposed to only cost $200, what happens to the X1S? If they can't produce/sell them for $99 they would have to kill it too I would imagine.

Anyway, the $400/$200 XSX/XSS price structure seems like fantasyland but I'd be happy to live there.

John Wick

$400/$200 seems unbelievable.

But hey.... MS does make about $30 billion profit per year!

If they subsidize an extra $100 per unit above and beyond a $500/$300 price:

1 million sales = $100 million extra costs
10 million sales = $1 billion extra costs
50 million sales = $5 billion extra costs
100 million sales = $10 billion extra costs

Spread those costs over 6-7 years of a generation, and it's pennies per share annualy.
Yep I'm sure the shareholders would love to be losing money. We always keep coming back to this just because MS has money do you think they would just flush it down the drain? Why didn't Windows Mobile succeeded even though MS had billions in the bank?
They will match Sony PS5 for XSX and Lockhart will come in at $299.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Yep I'm sure the shareholders would love to be losing money. We always keep coming back to this just because MS has money do you think they would just flush it down the drain? Why didn't Windows Mobile succeeded even though MS had billions in the bank?
They will match Sony PS5 for XSX and Lockhart will come in at $299.
Xbox has been around since 2001 or 2002. In almost 20 years, if you added up all the profit MS has made on Xbox it's probably hardly anything. It might even a loss. Yet it's still around. And they are getting more aggressive with more systems and buying studios.

Any other company would have bailed ship.

That's why the only companies still in the console hunt are Sony and Nintendo which makes money over the decades. And MS has stayed due to the bankrolling.

Last edited:

TTOOLL

Yes those franchises are dead, but MS threw a ton of money at them in an attempt to gain market share. With Xbox they have a successful brand, so investing heavily into it to expand market share makes absolutely sense for them especially considering how much market share they lost this generation and how much next generation and generate in profits if they even out the player base vs Sony's.

If they are willing to invest into new ventures and sectors to claw some market share why wouldn't they want to expand their successful brands. You don't rest on your laurels.

I agree, investing is the key. But you don't invest by selling at loss a product that already has good marketshare. My point is, Xbox is not something new arriving now in the market.

tryDEATH

I agree, investing is the key. But you don't invest by selling at loss a product that already has good marketshare. My point is, Xbox is not something new arriving now in the market.

Xbox does not have a good market share they got outsold 2 to 1 compared to the market share they had before this console generation, which was basically 1 to 1. The one way to regain that market share is a clean slate and an opportunity to sell at a loss vs. your competitor, if you are financially capable, which they are.

DaGwaphics

199 one s
299 one x
399 series s
499 series x

this seems like the most likely scenario to me

also explains the 200 dollar "rumors"

giphy.gif

TTOOLL

Xbox does not have a good market share they got outsold 2 to 1 compared to the market share they had before this console generation, which was basically 1 to 1. The one way to regain that market share is a clean slate and an opportunity to sell at a loss vs. your competitor, if you are financially capable, which they are.

That's because they didn't invest in good games that made people buy their console and that's where they have to put their money. Good games. Halo/Forza/Gears won't do it anymore.

tryDEATH

That's because they didn't invest in good games that made people buy their console and that's where they have to put their money. Good games. Halo/Forza/Gears won't do it anymore.

Xbox was dead on arrival, $100 more expensive and less powerful with a horrible fluffed presentation. The first year and a half PS barely had any exclusives to attract people to their platform compared to the ones on Xbox instead it was the price that enticed people to go to them instead.

TTOOLL

Xbox was dead on arrival, $100 more expensive and less powerful with a horrible fluffed presentation. The first year and a half PS barely had any exclusives to attract people to their platform compared to the ones on Xbox instead it was the price that enticed people to go to them instead.

This too, but the same happened with the PS3 and it outsold the 360 by the end of the generation. Games.

tryDEATH

This too, but the same happened with the PS3 and it outsold the 360 by the end of the generation. Games.

Yes, PS3 caught up by the end of the generation at which point MS should have continued to keep a similar market share for this generation as they did have Exclusive Games for the first year and a half, but that didn't help as they priced themselves out and never recovered. Price at the start of the generation is the most important factor at the start for a console generation.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Not really. It was PS3 Slim at $299 which caught on. When PS3 was $500-600 it sold lousy compared to old PS systems.

Sony also had a huge brand legacy with PS1 (100M units) and PS2 (150M units). SO to go from 150M to about 85M, while Xbox OG went from 25M to about 85M for 360 is a huge win for Xbox and a huge failure for PS3.

PS3 couldn't even outsell PS1 even though it was on the market longer.

Also, I think SOny barely made profit during the PS3 era too. SO financially and marketshare, it was terrible.

Last edited:

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X
XsX - $399, XsX $199 :pie_roffles: :pie_roffles: :pie_roffles: Even the PS5 is rumored to cost more than $400 to manufacture the XsX is likely over $500 BoM.

MS might accept a reasonable loss, but they aren't going to lose an insane amount of money on the new consoles. XSX will likely be $499 maybe $449 (at a fairly substantial loss) and XsS $299/$249

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
XsX - $399, XsX $199 :pie_roffles: :pie_roffles: :pie_roffles: Even the PS5 is rumored to cost more than $400 to manufacture the XsX is likely over $500 BoM.

MS might accept a reasonable loss, but they aren't going to lose an insane amount of money on the new consoles. XSX will likely be $499 maybe $449 (at a fairly substantial loss) and XsS $299/$249
$500/$300 feels so right.

PistolGrip

sex vacation in Guam
This is laughable and likely not true.

$400/$200 seems unbelievable.

But hey.... MS does make about $30 billion profit per year!

If they subsidize an extra $100 per unit above and beyond a $500/$300 price:

1 million sales = $100 million extra costs
10 million sales = $1 billion extra costs
50 million sales = $5 billion extra costs
100 million sales = $10 billion extra costs

Spread those costs over 6-7 years of a generation, and it's pennies per share annualy.
Is this sarcasm? Business lines are valued independently. MS losing $10 billion on Xbox would be the biggest disaster in business history.

Last edited:

DaGwaphics

Is this sarcasm? Business lines are valued independently. MS losing $10 billion on Xbox would be the biggest disaster in business history.

Truth.

Though, that math would indicate the ability to move 100m units close enough to launch to be under the same cost projections window for all of them. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Would probably be the greatest success story in the history of video games. The skyrocketing recurring revenue would be worth more than even a 10b loss.

Jtibh

Banned
Sony already tried selling a console for that price and it blew up in their faces.
The PS5 will not be more than $500
Digital version either $450 or 399
No console will be 399.
Not even the digital version.
500 is the base price.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member

LOL.

Businesses do this all the time. Certain products/divisions cover other ones.

In every company, there's going to be some products that lose money, but that doesn't mean it gets junked. If the company wants to keep it around, they can fund it with other products.

No different than my company. Some product lines are perennial break even or losers, but they are kept around for strategic purposes. Costs are covered by other product lines.

No, it's true

Floating point operations per second is a measurement itself. A Ford mustang 55mph and a Ford fiestas 55mph are the same . So are tflops. The difference is clock per volt and performance per volt and clock metrics are Better on rdna2. The actual measurement is equal .

MS holding the entire generation back with their shitty 4TF machine.

I'm conflicted in wanting Xbox to fail, on one hand theyre gotta be a competitor to light a fire under Sony's ass, on the other hand I hate to see multiplatform devs being forced to design their games around such a weak hardware
Tell that to Nintendo

Top Bottom